closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Good (cheap!) video editing software

Good (cheap!) video editing software

I thought I'd try and tap into the collective wisdom of the forum.

I've acquired a couple of gopro cameras and had a go at making a video, but the "gopro studio" seems to be a nightmare of software freezing, no doing quite what you tell it (trying to merge footage from two cameras filming the same thing from different angles) and so I'm looking for a reasonable cost (£50 - £80 say) alternative.

I have used windows movie maker in the past but don't have it loaded now (it comes with windows "essentials" and I'm not sure windows' idea of what's essential on my computer is necessarily the same as mine).

Anyone got any recommendations please? I'm not totally inexperienced with video editing, almost, but not quite.

Master
    I've tried a few including iMovie on Mac which I couldn't get my head around, and Windows Movie Maker which was nice and easy to use but don't think it did HD. I now use Vegas Movie Studio HD which I've had a couple of years (Platinum v 11.0 but there's probably a later version and it's well within your price bracket)

Lightworks is a free pro system. Not the most intuitive but great if you have the patience to learn and a wealth of forum advice.

Vegas studio as mentioned or Adobe Premiere elements other tried & tested offerings.

im not sure if you guys agree with illegal downloads. but i have avid media composer - works a treat!! (and is in your pice range ;)

Just an addendum, I've downloaded movie maker by itself. During the installation of windows essentials (aka what windows thinks is essential) you can choose which components to install.

I did have a small problem with it under 8.1, clicking when playing back video.

The cure appears to be to force movie maker to run in compatibility mode with 8, instead of it's default position to run in compatibility mode with 8.

Good to see windows software still up to its old standard.
    Last edited by catch21; 16th February 2015 at 09:33.

Craftsman
    You do need a fast machine for video editing so that's why the software maybe crashing. I use Pinnacle studio and find it easy to use and has enough features for my needs. Not sure how critical you multi-camera editing needs to be but it should be OK. For audio are you using a sound recorder?

No not yet and therein lies a problem. One camera (being out of the housing and in a frame) produces quite reasonable sound, very different from the other one even with the back open. I thought I might try narrating afterwards.

Master
    Some years ago I was using Pinnacle studio that I bought secondhand from ebay, it was an older version than what was available at the time and was much, much cheaper.
    I found Pinnacle studio to be easy to use with some great features, the new versions must be even better by now.