closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: [Q] Movement without a hacking seconds hand

Apprentice

[Q] Movement without a hacking seconds hand

Here's a real newby question. Apologies in advance.

With a movement that doesn't have a hacking seconds hand (e.g., the Miyota 821A), is there a trick to setting the seconds hand? My new Laco Navy Deauville has a Miyota 821A. The first time I set the time, I could stop the seconds hand by applying a little twist to the crown, but not sufficient to move the minutes hand. Now it won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Here's a real newby question. Apologies in advance.

With a movement that doesn't have a hacking seconds hand (e.g., the Miyota 821A), is there a trick to setting the seconds hand? My new Laco Navy Deauville has a Miyota 821A. The first time I set the time, I could stop the seconds hand by applying a little twist to the crown, but not sufficient to move the minutes hand. Now it won't do it.
    I had a couple of old Seikos that if you set it just past the right time, then wound it back slowly, the seconds hand would pause as you wound back. It wasn't designed to, but just did. I don't think there is any trick to doing it, just chance.

Let it wind down to a stop and set the time/restart at the right seconds if you are really desperate - but not sure why you'd be that concerned, as it will be out less than 24hrs later and if you are measuring timekeeping then you can simply adjust the maths accordingly.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Let it wind down to a stop and set the time/restart at the right seconds if you are really desperate - but not sure why you'd be that concerned, as it will be out less than 24hrs later and if you are measuring timekeeping then you can simply adjust the maths accordingly.
    I completely agree. Just wondering if there is a trick, and the only reason I thought about that was because it seemed to work the first time I set the time, but not subsequently.

Thanks for your feedback though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    it seemed to work the first time I set the time, but not subsequently.
    Could be to do with how wound the movement is. On the Miyota 8215, if the movement has been wound up too much then the manual back-pressure hacking technique does not work; it only works when the movement is barely wound.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 11th February 2015 at 18:24. Reason: Corrected movement reference number

I've had a Laco with the same movement. The trick is to run down the power reserve and then pull the crown and turn anti-clockwise when the seconds hand reaches twelve. The knack is finding the biting point where it will hold the seconds hand.
    The alternative is just to move the minutes hand back towards twelve as the seconds hand approaches.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 11th February 2015 at 11:47.

I believe Omega mention using the crown to pause/hold the second hand in the instructions for setting the time on the Speedy Pro. I also use the approach on my SKX 007.

Grand Master
    It's all about friction in the cannon pinion.

When the watch is in a low state of wind, there's not enough energy to overcome this, so it's possible to stop the watch by turning the crown backwards slowly (or holding it) in the handset position. When the watch is fully wound, there's more power going through the train wheels and this trick won`t work.

Simples!

Paul