closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: [Q] Checking a new watch for a newby

Apprentice

[Q] Checking a new watch for a newby

Hi All,

I have a Laco Navy Deauville automatic on the way. As a complete watch newby (I've never had a mechanical watch) what routine would you recommend initially to check that all is in order?

I imagine, fully winding the watch, setting the time according to a quartz (I have a radio controlled clock that I expect should be very accurate) and then checking for seconds gained/lost in about a day's time. Is checking earlier/later any use? I would do this three times and then average out what I think the error is. Being a Miyota, I expect anything within -10 and +20 seconds to be within spec. of course a full physical inspection to check for scratches and a light shake next to the ear to hear any loose objects.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    Your thoughts sound good to me! I tend to give it a visual once over and then monitor the time keeping over a couple of days.

Although not exactly the same question, this thread may have some other useful tips:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=tire+kicker

Master
    I think you've got it covered there, but when checking the accuracy, do subject the watch to the normal pattern of use (ie wear it as you normally intend).

Actually if you really want to check it thoroughly, don't wind it fully before you wear it - just give it a gentle shake and wear it. That way you can be sure the self-winding mechanism is working properly and keeping the movement ticking.

Don't measure it against another quartz watch; use something you know is accurate - something like http://time.is/ for instance. Not only is that about as accurate as you can find, it's also available to look at wherever you have a web connection (unlike a quartz watch as you'll have to be in the same room as that in order to check - unless you wear the quartz as well as the mechanical one, which is weird).

Apprentice
    Thanks all for the reassurance and tips. Also, thanks greatly for the web site. I've checked it against my radio controlled clock and it is indeed accurate to the second. Now just have to wait for the FedEx man to deliver tomorrow!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Actually if you really want to check it thoroughly, don't wind it fully before you wear it - just give it a gentle shake and wear it. That way you can be sure the self-winding mechanism is working properly and keeping the movement ticking.
    +1....but I`d do that as a separate exercise because the timekeeping will probably be poor for the first few hours (depending on several factors) and that would skew the timekeeping check.

A timekeeping check, wearing the watch and starting from fully-wound, is a sensible starting point. Ideally, wear the watch and check after wearing for several hours. Also try to obtain a 'dial-up' figure to find what the watch will do when left overnight. Having got a rate 'on the wrist' and a rate 'dial-up' it's possible to calculate an overall rate based on 16hrs wear and 8hrs dial up. This empirical approach is something I`ve developed myself; it's not exactly rocket science and it's surprisingly useful, particularly if adjusting a watch to give the best overall result.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    Don't measure it against another quartz watch; use something you know is accurate - something like http://time.is/ for instance. Not only is that about as accurate as you can find, it's also available to look at wherever you have a web connection (unlike a quartz watch as you'll have to be in the same room as that in order to check - unless you wear the quartz as well as the mechanical one, which is weird).
    I think you'll find most quartz watches are accurate to better than 1 sec/day, and that's all you need to check a watch over a short period. However, for a longer check it's worth calibrating the quartz watch against something super-accurate and applying a correction.

I`m very suspicious of computer-displayed clocks; for reasons I don`t understand they can be misleading. A half-decent quartz watch is far more practical. Simply put the two side by side after several hours and compare, writing the result on paper (remember that stuff?)...........it's a simple task, so keep it simple!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th February 2015 at 16:38.