closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear WTF

Master
    Blog Entries

Top Gear WTF

Well TG last night was just awful, what was it all about, it was a nonsense, it is fast becoming a comedy show. It as slowly gone downhill from the informative show we used to get. Years ago they would discuss new cars that had and were about to hit the market, you would see supercars do fast laps on the track, now it seems every show panders to JC comedy antics. Does anybody feel the same.

Master
    It was an utter disaster, you are not alone in your despair but we need to be brave and hope it improves.

Yes, very much so. I thought the "ambulance" sequence was juvenile shi*e. More money than sense the BBC, I think it's time to can it.

I thought last nights episode was hilarious, I haven't laughed so much in ages. I know it's just filler when there's not much else to report on but it was entertaining.

It's always good to see Ricciardo's smiling face too!

Master
    I'm a fan of TG, but last night (and last week) was pure drivel.

I gave up a while ago, don't even bother now, I'm sure I'm not alone.

Blog Entries
    If this is the future, pull the plug.

Last night was über childish and crappy to say the least.

I can understand it's a different formula to your "normal" serious car show, but a bit of car news and a some useful tests of actual everyday cars would be appreciated.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I thought last nights episode was hilarious, I haven't laughed so much in ages. I know it's just filler when there's not much else to report on but it was entertaining.

This is spot on IMO. Lets be honest, TG hasn't been a serious motoring show in years, and to be honest, I like it. I haven't laughed so much in ages.

If I want useful reviews of current everyday cars I'll go to http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/videos - the added benefit being, well up to August last year I think, is that Rebecca Jackson is much nicer to watch that those three TG chaps!
    Last edited by dougair; 9th February 2015 at 13:56.

Seriously dire and completely pointless show last night, and a blatant waste of an episode, time and money.

And what annoys me also, is when they pan back to the studio after an ambulance segment, theres the audience clapping, cheering and whistling.

What the absolute @£$% are they clapping, cheering and whistling about?, and what the absolute @£$% is that whole programme about anymore.

A tasteless load of drivel generated by a bunch of plonkers. The only bright spot was Ricciardo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    You're not. I used to look forward to Sunday night and TG. I haven't watched it for many months now.

Craftsman
    Well I liked it and laughed lots whereas last week's I didn't enjoy one bit.

I was chuffed when I saw there would be ten episodes in this series, but after last night it appears they've run out of ideas already. It was initially funny but became laboured, and certainly didn't warrant a whole show.

It's just the Jeremy Clarkson show now, not an awful lot to do with serious motoring journalism unfortunately.

Master
    Bring back Tiff and Vic and that bloke with the beard who used to test drive the motorbikes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    You're not.

Was it Chris Goffey?

I actually thought last night's was quite funny really, I enjoyed it. I prefer the overseas adventures as they are half travel show, but the ambulance bit was funny. I preferred it when they did at least pretend to be involved in modifying the cars rather than just showing up to be presented with what the production team made of course...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I was chuffed when I saw there would be ten episodes in this series, but after last night it appears they've run out of ideas already. It was initially funny but became laboured, and certainly didn't warrant a whole show.
    That was my gripe with it. The whole Ambulance thing warranted about 20mins at best, it was an embarrassing to hang it out as long as they did, surely they could find some better content to fill in. Land Rover have just launched the New Disco Sport why not do a review of some great British cars, no we just get a mention of the new Feza, and that was only to poke fun at Captain Slow

We couldn't watch it all the way through. The lack of actual car content was the killer. I can only assume that they have a series-wide budget issue, which seems odd given the colossal international earning power of the franchise.

I can't help feeling that Guy Martin is the future, and Mr. Clarkson and co now the past of 'gentlemen's television.'

I read the blurb and didn't bother, as I suspected it would be as described above.

Total shit now IMO, I used to like watching and learning about the cars, I've no interest in those 3 idiots.

Sack them all and hire Chris Harris.

The last 2 episodes were crap. Nothing to do with cars, but then again, to entertain everyone at "home" the producers have made it a comedy show. (3 stooges). You just have to look at the audience. In the past it was greasy mechanics, trainspotters with F1 shirts and guys who never had a girlfriend and now it's normal people, lot's of teenagers. It is funny and entertaining at times.
    Last edited by speedish; 9th February 2015 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytol View Post
    I read the blurb and didn't bother, as I suspected it would be as described above.

Total shit now IMO, I used to like watching and learning about the cars, I've no interest in those 3 idiots.

Sack them all and hire Chris Harris.
    Couldn't agree more!

It's not really a car show any more, it's a "comedy" show.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    It's just the Jeremy Clarkson show now,
    Well, it IS his.

not an awful lot to do with serious motoring journalism unfortunately.
    That never has been the crux; it alsways has been entertainment first. It has always been a 'different' formula.

Yes, the balance has shifted a bit over the years but for at least a decade it has mainly been a comedy with car as props.

Master

I agree Dave it was superb and I always enjoy it and let's face it there isn't much on TV that makes me laugh like that.

Blog Entries
    And is anyone else constantly bored by the tried and tested format of each of them grabbing a car and racing across some peasant infested wasteland to some far fetched finishing point?

I am a real fan of TG but the last couple of series have been getting progressively worse. Last night I really struggled to watch it through to the end and switched off at 8.45pm. As soon as the patient came off the stretcher and hit the floor in the 'accident', I thought it really is the beginning of the end for this show.

Someone earlier commented regarding the audience clapping and cheering - I think it was a thankful applause for the 'comedy' ending. I think I will give it a chance until the end of this series but even that will be a challenge.

WTF indeed.

Last night's show was hilarious! Like others, I had several guffaws at the antics, great entertainment. And save the £££ arguments, the show MAKES millions for the BBC.

And Daniel Ricciardo, wow

Abolish the licence fee.

Master
    Over the last few series I accepted the fact that it is becoming more general "entertainment" and have just got on and enjoyed it for what it is, but last night they were pushing their luck.

We're three episodes in to a 10 episode series and the only truly car relevant item we've had is the Huracan hot lap.

I thought it was funny, it's not a car review show and hasn't been for years. Just some light entertainment for a Sunday night.

I'm a great fan of TG but the piece on the ambulances was dire. I'll continue to watch, because on the whole I do enjoy it, but it ain't getting better with age is it.

Since the show has been picked up internationally (Americans prefer the British version to their own), it has really turned into more of a general, simplified comedy programme to keep it more universal. It has been a hugely popular this way, but I find it very disappointing as it has been significantly dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

A few years ago I took part in filming an episode about the demise of the British sports car. Even though we brought our AC Ace Bristol a long distance to the abandoned TVR factory in Blackpool, waited in the cold all day as the director decided he'd like to film after sundown, all for free, we were treated like trash. The presenters were there, but never even waived at us, and the production team were amusingly rude. The director was just a total jerk. They wouldn't allow us to watch the filming, and the only thing they provided for us in the 10 hours we were there was tea, which we had to pay for. For our troubles we were promised DVDs of the episode... many years later, we're still waiting.

I've worked on billion dollar movies and have never encountered such smug rudeness, so it's very difficult to stay a fan after that experience.

Banned
    It was absolutely hilarious, I recorded it and laughed so much I just fell off the sofa.

Keep it up TG.

It's almost as hilarious as them driving £150,000 super cars side ways round a airfield saying look at what only 1% of you viewers can afford you Muppet's.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It long ago stopped being a 'car' show and became a light entertainment show. It's become irritating and repetitive.
    Clarkson has developed from a motoring journalist to a mildly amusing blokey bloke to an outspoken,grating buffoon.
    Richard Hammond is just like an irritating,yippy little lapdog who trundles around after Clarkson.
    James May I actually quite like,but he needs to get away from the other two before he is changed into a knob.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    WTF indeed.

Last night's show was hilarious! Like others, I had several guffaws at the antics, great entertainment. And save the £££ arguments, the show MAKES millions for the BBC.

And Daniel Ricciardo, wow
    I liked it too and watched it with my 5 year old in bed who is now a bit of an addict. He was absolutely doubled up with laughter when 'the hamster' was getting covered in fake blood, vomit and wee. For me, it was worth the licence fee just to see him laugh like that !

Master
    It was funny for 5 mins at most, it slumped downhill pretty fast. The ambulance race was so childish...I was cringing watching it, hoping it will improve but it only got worse. How can anybody get paid for these performances is beyond me. Comments about the immigrants were supposed to be a joke, but was it done in a grown-up manner?? They are far from comedians, they're not good as car reviewers...why the f*ck are they still on TV?

Banned
    I think top gear is fairly terrible. It seems to be a load of cars out of most peoples reach, and a lot of talk about nothing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    I liked it too and watched it with my 5 year old in bed who is now a bit of an addict. He was absolutely doubled up with laughter when 'the hamster' was getting covered in fake blood, vomit and wee. For me, it was worth the licence fee just to see him laugh like that !

My son who's 9 will be laughing his head off at this later, I always record TG that's the best way to watch it FF through the crap.

Mind you he now like's most TG we have them Dave TV he always finds something to chuckle about.

I would have found last nights show easier to watch if there had been a car review or two. Disappointing but hopefully future weeks will make up for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    My son who's 9 will be laughing his head off at this later, I always record TG that's the best way to watch it FF through the crap.

Mind you he now like's most TG we have them Dave TV he always finds something to chuckle about.
    I'm sure kids love it...however, if they aim for this kind of audience, perhaps they should take the 7pm slot on CBeebies channel

Blog Entries
    I thought last nights episode was hilarious, I haven't laughed so much in ages.
    +1 - I was roaring laughing at the Jezza catheterizing the patient in the Rambulance sequence

z

Master

Top Gear WTF

I get that it isn't a car show any more (which is sad) and that it is a 'comedy' show. That would be OK if it was actually flipping funny, even my 14 year old boys (who are daft as brushes) left half way through because it was 'pathetic and sad'......

Such a shame, used to love this show!!
    Last edited by zanderpants; 9th February 2015 at 22:29.

well parts of were funny but this lets do a task each week and watch fastest lap cant continue :(

cracking idea about a guy martin in more shows or one of his own, thoroughly enjoyed all the TV work he has done so far

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    I'm sure kids love it...however, if they aim for this kind of audience, perhaps they should take the 7pm slot on CBeebies channel
    CBeebies shuts down at 7pm...after 'In the Night Garden'

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Bring back Tiff and Vic and that bloke with the beard who used to test drive the motorbikes.
    Two weeks away: http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/fifth-gear/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I do love Iggle Piggle and the Pontipines.............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

It seems to be getting more and more like The Goodies (but without the charm) every week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    That's why... there is an empty and probably cheap slot for these plonkers

Craftsman
    It's mostly blokes pi$$ing about in vehicles of different sorts and has been for ages, I'm not so sure why this episode has kicked of this debate, some of the antics are "hit" some are "miss". Pretty much take it or leave it.
    It's not been a "Car Show" for years now, surely you know what you are getting by now!

Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post
    It seems to be getting more and more like The Goodies (but without the charm) every week.
    In years to come people will look back on it rather as they look back on The Black & White Minstrel Show.