timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear WTF

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    How about this for a presenter line up.

Vick Butler Henderson, Chris Evans, and Guy Martin.
    No never not the giggling tart. Change her for Sabine and you are cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Mmmmm Atkinson in stead of JC. Surely, Rowan can carry the show on his own.

Menno

Actually not a bad idea - proper petrol head (as seen at Goodwood).

How about

Rowen, Chris Harris, Guy Martin.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm watching top gear on BBC3 now. Why would this not have been pulled also?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I'm watching top gear on BBC3 now. Why would this not have been pulled also?
    The next 2 or 3 editions haven't been pulled to keep Jeeza off our screens but because he is suspended and unable to work / appear on them. Repeats are already in the can - no problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Actually not a bad idea - proper petrol head (as seen at Goodwood).

How about

Rowen, Chris Harris, Guy Martin.
    i think Rowen would be quite good
    not quite a jeremy but still good but why is everyone writing off Hammond and May ???

JAMP0T1

Quote Originally Posted by JAMP0T1 View Post
    not quite a jeremy but still good but why is everyone writing off Hammond and May ???

JAMP0T1

Chris Harris can replace hammond (he can do strictly or something) and he is proper fast.

Guy martin can do the engineering stuff and he is also properly fast and a bit mental. May can carry on doing Man Stuff type programmes. The benefit of Guy Martin is that they can do bikes as well as cars.

Or how about getting Foggy as well. - proper blokes bloke is Foggy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Chris Harris can replace hammond (he can do strictly or something) and he is proper fast.

Guy martin can do the engineering stuff and he is also properly fast and a bit mental. May can carry on doing Man Stuff type programmes. The benefit of Guy Martin is that they can do bikes as well as cars.

Or how about getting Foggy as well. - proper blokes bloke is Foggy.
    I'd vote for that combo. Well thought out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMP0T1 View Post

JAMP0T1
    Because they both have to renew their contract. And I (and others, I think) came to the conclusion that A: they will not get an offer for TG anymore without JC, or B: both do not want to participate in a new TG without JC, because the atmosphere will be different. If the Beeb is planning to continue TG, it's best to change course completely, presentor-wise. Remember when Hammond was hospitalised after his accident? Clarkson and May announced that they would kill off TG when Hammond would not recover and return!

Menno

Craftsman
    All those who signed the petition because they feel that it's ok to punch someone at work are wrong. The law only allows the laying on of hands (this includes slap, punch, push) when someone has an honesty held belief that they are in danger. This is deliberately subjective. I can't see a lack of hot food qualifying as such an honestly held belief. Admittedly, we don't have all the facts concerning Clarkson but that hasn't stopped conjecture and rather firm opinions based on that conjecture.

I really struggle to understand why unreasonable behaviour is tolerable in some but not in others; surely in the ideal society that we should aspire to, all regardless of position are subject to the same rules?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    All those who signed the petition because they feel that it's ok to punch someone at work are wrong. The law only allows the laying on of hands (this includes slap, punch, push) when someone has an honesty held belief that they are in danger. This is deliberately subjective. I can't see a lack of hot food qualifying as such an honestly held belief. Admittedly, we don't have all the facts concerning Clarkson but that hasn't stopped conjecture and rather firm opinions based on that conjecture.

I really struggle to understand why unreasonable behaviour is tolerable in some but not in others; surely in the ideal society that we should aspire to, all regardless of position are subject to the same rules?
    I guess it's relative for some, at a time when IS are beheading thousands of innocent people, a producer being slapped by a fat old man is hardly worthy of the storm it has caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I'd vote for that combo. Well thought out.

Actually rather than Rowen (sorry) - we need someone who will offend the chattering classes and Lilly livered liberals - they will something to moan about.

hence I offer you Charlie Brooker or David Baddiel.
    Last edited by Andyg; 12th March 2015 at 23:33.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post

Yep you can't do this and expect to get away with it. At least I couldn't so like most of us I have always resisted the temptation. I actually quite like him though. In an age of political correctness I like people who aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I guess it's relative for some, at a time when IS are beheading thousands of innocent people, a producer being slapped by a fat old man is hardly worthy of the storm it has caused.
    Agreed 80,000 will be at Twickers this weekend to watch 30 blokes hit one another as hard as they can. This is acceptable.
    A fat old man losing his temper and having a "handbag" moment is not. Unless of course it's Prescott - was he suspended? I think not. In fact did he not stand as a Police Chairman (or something).

What seems to be missing here is a sense of perspective.

I still am interest to know whether this has been reported to the police? If not why not?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agreed 80,000 will be at Twickers this weekend to watch 30 blokes hit one another as hard as they can. This is acceptable.
    A fat old man losing his temper and having a "handbag" moment is not. Unless of course it's Prescott - was he suspended? I think not. In fact did he not stand as a Police Chairman (or something).

What seems to be missing here is a sense of perspective.

I still am interest to know whether this has been reported to the police? If not why not?
    Prob just a bit of name calling and pushing / shoving. Sounds like they carried on filming and it was days later when the BBC found out something happened.

In my view, Prescott considered himself "under attack" and was therefore defending himself in the way he knew how - as he has every right to do. The two situations, JC assaulting someone who hasn't arranged some food to his liking (allegedly) and JP defending himself from an attack from the side, are completely different.

Banned
    Not condoning or condemning JC (or the other chap for that matter) till i have the full facts.

but what gets me, and apparently 805,000 signatories of that petition, is that this debacle is rather indicative of the world we live in. Time was two chaps could sort out their differences like adults.

these days every mundane stupid thing needs to involve the authorities and a veritable army of hand wringing do gooders.

A little more take responsibility for yourself and sort your own sh*t out, a little less interference in people's lives before we turn into the society from Demolition Man!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Not condoning or condemning JC (or the other chap for that matter) till i have the full facts.

but what gets me, and apparently 805,000 signatories of that petition, is that this debacle is rather indicative of the world we live in. Time was two chaps could sort out their differences like adults.

these days every mundane stupid thing needs to involve the authorities and a veritable army of hand wringing do gooders.

A little more take responsibility for yourself and sort your own sh*t out, a little less interference in people's lives before we turn into the society from Demolition Man!
    I agree totally.

Blog Entries

This, absolutely.

Perspective is being lost in the rush for absolutist political correctness.

I do not mean by this that hitting someone is necessarily acceptable (although of course it potentially could be, depending on circumstances) but that how seriously it should be taken and what should happen in response, if anything, depend on the full circumstances as they applied at the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This, absolutely.

Perspective is being lost in the rush for absolutist political correctness.

I do not mean by this that hitting someone is necessarily acceptable (although of course it potentially could be, depending on circumstances) but that how seriously it should be taken and what should happen in response, if anything, depend on the full circumstances as they applied at the time.
    But, the BBC needed to do something, he was warned before, and if the man gets away with this, next time he might kick his teeth out, where's the line?

And if the BBC didn't do anything, they would most probably be accused of letting all sorts of idiots getting away with all sorts shite and all that payed by public money.

The BBC can't win this one, and Clarkson is still an idiot, IMHO.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    In my view, Prescott considered himself "under attack" and was therefore defending himself in the way he knew how - as he has every right to do. The two situations, JC assaulting someone who hasn't arranged some food to his liking (allegedly) and JP defending himself from an attack from the side, are completely different.
    The bloke throw an egg - if that your definition of being under attack (especially if your a professional politician) then you are in the wrong job.

Any way it would seem that unlike JP, JC never threw a punch.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    The man is a fool, but I rather like him. The beeb absolutely had to do something, and suspension while they sort out the facts is the correct approach. They should have set a date for some form of hearing or panel at the same time as announcing the suspension of course, which doesn't appear to have been the case. If they had publicly suspended him pending a hearing one week later, there wouldn't be the furore that there is now.

The BBC really cannot 'win' here but need to take the compromise path that leaves the fewest people grumbling down the line. The overtly feminist and white knight columnists won't be happy of course, but they rarely are :)

Banned
    But, the BBC needed to do something, he was warned before, and if the man gets away with this, next time he might kick his teeth out, where's the line?

And if the BBC didn't do anything, they would most probably be accused of letting all sorts of idiots getting away with all sorts shite and all that payed by public money.

Daddel.
    Well not necessarily.

We dont have facts but i hear that the guys concerned actually were gonna let it drop having resolved it between themselves like adults but the BBC decided to stick its oar in and thats when it gets messy.

If this is true then the bbc are morons and deserve to be shown up as such.

If this is true then the bbc are morons and deserve to be shown up as such.
    It was no doubt a pre-emptive face-saving gesture. The criticism of the BBC from the liberal media if it was later shown that they knew about it but did nothing would be immense. And it would most certainly come out at some point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    It was no doubt a pre-emptive face-saving gesture. The criticism of the BBC from the liberal media if it was later shown that they knew about it but did nothing would be immense. And it would most certainly come out at some point.
    Again, not necessarily. Both people on the right and left can recognise sensible behaviour and solutions.

Nobody disagrees that hitting people is not on. Its how its handled thats in question. And here the beeb may have shown a lack of good sense and leaderership - but we dont know until the facts in full come out.

Blog Entries
    Again, not necessarily. Both people on the right and left can recognise sensible behaviour and solutions.

Nobody disagrees that hitting people is not on. Its how its handled thats in question. And here the beeb may have shown a lack of good sense and leaderership - but we dont know until the facts in full come out.
    Agreed.

Daddel.

Blog Entries
    hi, i worked for the bbc when they had an exhibition at the MIMA in middlesbrough, never spoke to him but other guys i worked with said he was a "bell end".

Grand Master

I hope it doesn't become a show about bikes though - that's part of its schtick. I think if you want to make a programme about bikes make a programme about bikes rather than hijack something else ;). Chris Harris would be a good choice for the anorak brigade who wear flammable clothing recreationally, he can talk about oversteer etc. Perhaps a rotating top slot, like Have I Got News For You, would work, and they can have Clarkson back in the reasonably priced car!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Sorry, but how would you have handled it then?

Not going to work. You just can't break a team and expect it to carry on as before. You have the comedian and his two sidekicks. They have a rapport onscreen. Tiff can't do it. Nobody has the way with words JC has.
    Anyone remember what happened to Bewitched when they changed Darren? Yes, I'm showing my age.

I see from the Beeb website it was JC himself that reported the incident. Could be any number of reasons for that.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 13th March 2015 at 12:03. Reason: Adding addendum

So Jimmy Saville abused children for decades and the BBC turned a blind eye, Clarkson allegedly slaps someone and he's sacked. Hmm. Back in the late 80's when I was in sales, my boss would take us out on a Friday lunchtime if we hit our targets, and I remember being punched by a drunken colleague on one such occasion (I think I took the rise out if his red braces) - but afterwards he bought me a pint and said sorry, our boss saw the funny side and we forgot about it. World's gone too soft IMHO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    So Jimmy Saville abused children for decades and the BBC turned a blind eye, Clarkson allegedly slaps someone and he's sacked. Hmm. Back in the late 80's when I was in sales, my boss would take us out on a Friday lunchtime if we hit our targets, and I remember being punched by a drunken colleague on one such occasion (I think I took the rise out if his red braces) - but afterwards he bought me a pint and said sorry, our boss saw the funny side and we forgot about it. World's gone too soft IMHO
    Maybe, but you should have been sacked for hitting your target! :)

Daddel.

If, as suggested the incident was caused by not having a suitable meal because of late arrival in the hotel then that is one scenario. If on the other hand it was caused by artistic tantrums on content or language of the programme it is another. The first case suggests a spoilt brat, the second a highly paid, highly strung, petrolhead.
    I wonder which it was?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    If, as suggested the incident was caused by not having a suitable meal because of late arrival in the hotel then that is one scenario. If on the other hand it was caused by artistic tantrums on content or language of the programme it is another. The first case suggests a spoilt brat, the second a highly paid, highly strung, petrolhead.
    In which of these scenarios is it ok to hit a junior member of staff?

I've worked with highly strung "talent" for the majority of my career and other than strong language I've never seen anything close to violence. I've also worked with some exceptionally famous folks overnight, out of hours and for days at a time with no access to a good meal. I've never been hit.

There is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    There is no excuse.
    I quite often seem to have a contrary view to you, but I would agree wholeheartedly here. I abhor violence and the casual way it is discussed and accepted. There is of course an element of Internet bravado, but how many times have do we see someone suggesting that in situation x they would 'go round his house' or 'knock his block off'.

Generally expressing this opinion leads folk to tell you to 'man up' or stop being a drip, but I really very rarely see physical violence as the correct response.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    ... World's gone too soft IMHO
    Yeah, what's the world come to when you can't give a lower-graded colleague a good punch?

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    In which of these scenarios is it ok to hit a junior member of staff?

I've worked with highly strung "talent" for the majority of my career and other than strong language I've never seen anything close to violence. I've also worked with some exceptionally famous folks overnight, out of hours and for days at a time with no access to a good meal. I've never been hit.

There is no excuse.
    Guinea, according to eye witnesses on Sky this morning, JC used lots of bad language, but no one reported about anyone getting a smack.

It also seems that JC reported himself to the BBC rather than anyone in the crew. Perhaps he felt ashamed of his behavior. In which case perhaps he actually deserves some credit.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah, what's the world come to when you can't give a lower-graded colleague a good punch?
    Or to shoot him with a air rifle.

Friedrich Nietzsche

New perspective on this has now broken following interview with a family who were staying in the same Yorkshire Dales hotel as the Top Gear team. There is an interview with them on the BBC and bound to be available on line somewhere.

Clarkson had clearly had a bad day and after refusing a selfie with the family (not unreasonably they thought) he then delivered an expletive filled rant at the producer about the lack of food. No mention of violence.

Although interestingly one of the family who I should stress were all older (over 50 on average) thought he should keep his job because he was a big fan of Top Gear.

Doesn't change anything but interesting nonetheless. I particularly liked the sneak photo of him standing alone in the hotel garden doing a bit of soul searching or maybe just having a fag.

Guinea, according to eye witnesses on Sky this morning, JC used lots of bad language, but no one reported about anyone getting a smack.

It also seems that JC reported himself to the BBC rather than anyone in the crew. Perhaps he felt ashamed of his behavior. In which case perhaps he actually deserves some credit.
    Hmm...with so little to go on this, to me, looks more and more like a stage-managed exercise. The media have been door stepping Clarkson and May...but the AP hasn't been seen, spoken or Tweeted. The only BBC comment has been to cancel two episodes (maybe production was running late) and possibly a third. I think there's more to this than we have been told so far. Only when and if we learn more can any of us form a sensible opinion. It's all allegation and hypothesis so far.

Oh no - we were the same grade, he punched me and apologised and I accepted. That doesn't justify his actions - but nobody was permanently damaged and that was that.

Master
    A lot of people on here have been saying Clarkson is on his last warning and should be fired. Just how long is a last warning supposed to last then? That can't be held over him forever.
    The same group of people are also saying they don't condone violence. I'm sorry but a slap (if indeed he did slap him) is hardly the same as beating someone unconscious. You can give someone a good natured slap, you can't beat someone unconscious in the same way.

Banned
    Sorry, but how would you have handled it then?
    I'm happy to answer that once I have the full story or at least the same details the bbc had. Anything other than that is a bit pointless in my view.

I'm happy to answer that once I have the full story or at least the same details the bbc had has. Anything other than that is a bit pointless in my view.
    What's taking them so long?

Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    Not trying to say that it was not out of order, rather wondering what motivated it, and is it characteristic of the normal pattern of behaviour. On whatever count, it is out of order big time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    A lot of people on here have been saying Clarkson is on his last warning and should be fired. Just how long is a last warning supposed to last then? That can't be held over him forever.
    The same group of people are also saying they don't condone violence. I'm sorry but a slap (if indeed he did slap him) is hardly the same as beating someone unconscious. You can give someone a good natured slap, you can't beat someone unconscious in the same way.
    Watching the FA cup duel between Man U and Arsenal, a "good natured" pull at the referee's shirt managed to get a player a red card.

But I'm patiently awaiting any new facts before my final judgement.

Daddel.

Journeyman
    Just not even funny anymore really!

I'm happy to answer that once I have the full story or at least the same details the bbc had. Anything other than that is a bit pointless in my view.

"Its how its handled thats in question. And here the beeb may have shown a lack of good sense and leaderership"

Your previous comment seems to imply they haven't done too well so far. How would you have done it differently? Would you have suspended him, not suspended him?

Banned
    "Its how its handled thats in question. And here the beeb may have shown a lack of good sense and leaderership"

Your previous comment seems to imply they haven't done too well so far. How would you have done it differently? Would you have suspended him, not suspended him?
    As I said I dont know the full facts so cannot say. I am not sure whether the bbc even needed to get involved...

Master
    Oaf gets drunk and shouts and swears at someone is hardly headline news.

If one of my staff did it to a subordinate I'd make them say sorry publicly and suggest that when working they moderate their consumption in future.

Master
    Watching the FA cup duel between Man U and Arsenal, a "good natured" pull at the referee's shirt managed to get a player a red card.

But I'm patiently awaiting any new facts before my final judgement.

Daddel.
    And do you think that same player would have had a red card if he had done it to another player? Of course he wouldn't. Your analogy is a poor one.