closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ABC Watch Suunto or Protrek?

Master

ABC Watch Suunto or Protrek?

I am looking to purchase an ABC watch something not too technical, after searching the forum I see quite a few have owned the Suunto core black, but for some reason moved them on, any particular reason? Have they been updated since they were launched?
    I do like the all black Suunto and I've owned a few G shocks and Suunto dive computers over the years so I'm familiar with the way they operate.
    I realise the Suunto is quite hard to read due to the display and they go through the batteries, any suggestions on Protrek models would be appreciated, I did see a model PRB 270 which was approx. £120 with the latest triple sensor.
    I will be using it for hill walking and outdoor pursuits, beach and snorkeling i want something that will stand up to abuse., so Suunto or Protrek?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by barryw; 7th February 2015 at 07:19.

Master
    I'm a Protrek fan. I've had a lot of models (none with the newest v3 sensor, which is more accurate than the previous iterations) and they were all great. From what I remember, the Suuntos also have a lower WR, about 50m (some models at least). And even though they may be cheaper, on the long run I think the Protrek is the better choice.

The equalizer wore a suunto core black and that stood up to a hell of a lot of abuse :)

Seriously I was looking myself for a new work/tool watch and the WR was a concern on the core

Craftsman
    I've only had experience with my Protreck - it is one they sold in Argos some years ago - slimline version.

It's my go to watch, and if I take two watches abroad, it's always my second watch.

100 metres water resistent - worn in sea and pool - accurate compass which i like a lot (don't use the barometer and altitude measure as i think you have to set them with a reference).

The countdown timer and stopwatch are excellent as is world time. Linked to the atomic clock if you want.

It's my second - first was stolen. If I lost my second, i'd buy another. The solar is a plus as well.

And although it's big, it doesn't wear big (prefer 40mm as maximum normally). It's light and comfortable to wear.

Try several on if you can.

Master
    I will try and take a look at Suunto as ive heard they're quite plasticky and take a look at a Protek if I can find one nearby.
    Cheers.

I have a Suunto and couple of Protreks, as well as a Timex WS4 and a Tissot T-Touch. All ABCs and all good in their own way. The Tissot is great if you want something that can be a little dressy rather than just a tool watch; the compass feature is a great party-piece. The Timex offers decent ABC on a budget and is easy to use with a nice big LCD screen with Indiglo backlight. Of the Protreks I have, the PRW1500 is a great all-rounder and also has tide, moon phase and syncs to a radio time signal. Not the easiest of watches to use though. The old ProTrek is one of the originals, the PRG40 which I've had seemingly forever. It's my beater now and has been through a lot but still works perfectly. Excellent and accurate compass display.

The Suunto Core Alu was a recent acquisition and I have to say I think it's the best of the bunch. Best to use by far with scrolling menu options and - once calibrated - very accurate on altitude and compass bearing. If I had to chose one, my heart would say my trusty old Protrek but my head would say the Suunto.

Master

Unhappy The 40 was always my favourite.

Thanks for the info spacelug, the 40 was the one I always fancied with it been green cammo style, just wish I'd got one now as they look discontinued, Bit of a blow!
    Will take a look at the new Suunto as I think the core black is quite old now.
    Thanks.

I've had loads of Suunto and Protrek models.

The Suunto Core in brushed steel is by far the best one I've had. The storm alarm is very cool too. :)

Some of the Protreks are nice also, but the Suunto's are better abc watches.
    Last edited by senraw; 7th February 2015 at 20:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    I've had loads of Suunto and Protrek models.

The Suunto Core in brushed steel is by far the best ones I've had. The storm alarm is very cool too. :)
    Yes the brushed metal model looks great but what will it look like in months down the line, probably the best model technically but how hardy is it?
    Last edited by barryw; 7th February 2015 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Yes the brushed metal model looks great but what will I look like in months down the line, probably the best model technically but how hardy is it?
    It's a tough watch I can assure you. I had mine fitted to a 2 piece Zulu strap from Watch obsession, a fantastic combination. Because of the swivel lugs, standard Nato's and Zulu's don't work.

Suunto's customer service is also second to none.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    It's a tough watch I can assure you. I had mine fitted to a 2 piece Zulu strap from Watch obsession, a fantastic combination. Because of the swivel lugs, standard Nato's and Zulu's don't work.

Suunto's customer service is also second to none.
    Cheers Senraw, I knew you had one is this a new updated version to the all black model and does it have better water resistance than the black military.The only thing about the black military is the strap, I'm not keen.
    Do you have any photos of yours on the canvas strap, I want to wear it on a Nato, why doesn't it fit as a bit confused but if I could put it on a 2 piece canvas I'd be happy, was lug size are these?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Cheers Senraw, I knew you had one is this a new updated version to the all black model and does it have better water resistance than the black military.The only thing about the black military is the strap, I'm not keen.
    Do you have any photos of yours on the canvas strap, I want to wear it on a Nato, why doesn't it fit as a bit confused but if I could put it on a 2 piece canvas I'd be happy, was lug size are these?
    Thanks.

The water resistance is 30m.. BUT..... The manual states that the altimeter on the Core can be used as a depth meter when diving to depths of down to 30m.. So no worries there. :)

Pretty sure the lugs are 24mm.

One piece straps (Nato's/Zulu's) don't work as the swivel lugs rise the watch upwards, trust me, it's a no go. :)
    Last edited by senraw; 7th February 2015 at 21:50.

Master
    Thanks ;)

I have a suunto observer Ti and it has been all over the world with me. Light and a great size. The WR is an issue and I do often find my self stuck on a mountain wondering how I'm going to overcome the deep waters!! :o)

I had a Suunto Core (Alu Black) stolen from me last weekend at a xc ski event*. Liked it very much, but decided to get something even more focused.

Got a Polar M400. Worn twice so far, very good as a training tool and comfortable on the wrist. The display was OK at -5 centigrade when worn on the cuff. Absolutely not wearable as a general watch, but way better than many that try to stretch to both roles.

FWIW, I have recently used Suunto, Garmin, Polar and Samsung wrist thingies. I find the Suunto Ambit series and Polar V800/M400 to be way better than the Garmin Fenix and very, very much better than Gear. While the Garmin/Samsung offerings are more flexible, there are a number or quirks, latencies and bugs that must not be on a wearable. The original HR user interfaces have evolved into something... Applelike?

* My only skiing event outside Finland this winter, and I lost a watch and a toenail. Perhaps I am better suited to staying on the sofa.

Master
    I have a Suunto Core "Extreme Edition" Red, which is basically the all black but with a metal bezel. It means it's a little sturdier but nothing like the all metal models they do these days. The comments already made are pretty much spot on around poor legibility with the inverse LCD, and it does chew through batteries - a little under a year when I'm using it regularly. For me regularly means alternate weekends through spring and summer and a few times at winter. I only wear it on climbing trips, it's too large for a casual wearer for my small wrist. I have never understood why a watch with a depth meter would have such a poor WR rating. I wear mine in the shower and the odd plunge but wouldn't swim with it. The compass is also a little suspect at times but would get you out of a hole if desperate.

However, strangely, having said all of this I would still buy another. The altimeter and barometer work flawlessly and the storm alarm is genuinely useful. Waking up in a tent and immediately seeing a chart of what the pressure has been up to overnight is just brilliant, and reviewing logs of ascents at the end of a long days climbing is great if you're a data nerd like me. Aesthetically I also find it more attractive than many of the other ABC watches. Less plain than some of the Garmin type stuff, but not too hectic like the G Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceslug View Post

The Suunto Core Alu was a recent acquisition and I have to say I think it's the best of the bunch. Best to use by far with scrolling menu options and - once calibrated - very accurate on altitude and compass bearing. If I had to chose one, my heart would say my trusty old Protrek but my head would say the Suunto.
    Picked up one cheap on ebay - but coming on the leather strap? Did yours come on that and if any rubbers you recommend?

Craftsman
    I have an old PRG 120 and it's grand but I wouldn't want to rely on it as my only Compass. I know it's a bit more expensive than even the Suunto but would you consider waiting for a week or so until the Garmin Fenix 3 is out? I really like the look of it and as it's a GPS, the compass should be dead on balls accurate. Even better if the charge lasts as long as advertised.

I've got the Suunto Core Alu now and I like it but I wonder how it compares in size to the Protrek 6000? Anyone got a side by side or can point me to one?