TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 135 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,750 of 7062

Thread: Show your G-Shocks

Master
    Loving the MTG today!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    This one arrived today. Still undecided if I'll keep it or send it back, so not connected to the app yet to set the time

The size is nice (trumpeted as the thinnest G-steel so far at just under 13mm) and I like the slightly futuristic look, but I'm not sure about the 'tails' to the hands - when they're aligned (ie; 9:15) the hour hand is obscured quite a bit by the minute tail, which seems a bit overlooked by the design team.

**Updated** Here's a quick snap to show what I mean

It's enough that I think I might have to send it back
    See what you mean but it wouldn’t put me off Andy. Looks well in my eyes.
    I quite fancy the blue dial so I’m glad you posted this. Any chance of a wrist shot?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    See what you mean but it wouldn’t put me off Andy. Looks well in my eyes.
    I quite fancy the blue dial so I’m glad you posted this. Any chance of a wrist shot?
    It seems from looking at the G-steel line-up on the g-shock website that all of the analogue models have similar hands. It is very comfortable (not that I'm wearing it into I decide to keep it or not) - the resin of the band feels more soft and pliable than the GW-5000 band I have on my DW-5600 and is definitely a step-up. And the watch head itself is naturally very lightweight too but still has that air of 'toughness' about it that you expect from a G.

Just for you I snapped a quick pic ;)

My wrist is 6.75"

The blue dial one with the all black case does look very nice but price is a bit too rich for my blood for a G-shock!
    Last edited by andy100; 29th June 2021 at 21:06.

It seems from looking at the G-steel line-up on the g-shock website that all of the analogue models have similar hands. It is very comfortable (not that I'm wearing it into I decide to keep it or not) - the resin of the band feels more soft and pliable than the GW-5000 band I have on my DW-5600 and is definitely a step-up. And the watch head itself is naturally very lightweight too but still has that air of 'toughness' about it that you expect from a G.

Just for you I snapped a quick pic ;)

My wrist is 6.75"

The blue dial one with the all black case does look very nice but price is a bit too rich for my blood for a G-shock!
    Thanks for that. It would wear similar on me I think, looks excellent. Bizarrely on this photo you have got me looking at those hands, I can see what you mean.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Thanks for that. It would wear similar on me I think, looks excellent. Bizarrely on this photo you have got me looking at those hands, I can see what you mean.
    I've updated my original post with a slightly better shot taken just now of them overlapping. It really seems strange that the designers didn't think to chop the 'tails' off, after all they can do it as is shown with a lot of the pricier MTGs etc.

You can see in the wrist shot too that the small subdials and negative display aren't great to read in low/artificial lighting. They were absolutely fine earlier in the day in natural (overcast) light but now, not so much. On the flipside though, the Light function button is easy to press and lights up the whole dial and subdials so they're not that hard to view if you need to.

I was excited by the idea of an analogue G that wasn't too thick and didn't look entirely like, well a G-shock, but am definitely on the fence over it. Think I'll have to sleep on a decision!

Master
    This one arrived today. Still undecided if I'll keep it or send it back, so not connected to the app yet to set the time

The size is nice (trumpeted as the thinnest G-steel so far at just under 13mm) and I like the slightly futuristic look, but I'm not sure about the 'tails' to the hands - when they're aligned (ie; 9:15) the hour hand is obscured quite a bit by the minute tail, which seems a bit overlooked by the design team.

**Updated** Here's a quick snap to show what I mean (better example pic added)

It's enough that I think I might have to send it back
    Great watch overall I’m sure but it’s amazing how as a ‘WIS’ we can see the smallest of detail that can turn you off a watch instantly. The ‘tails’ you point out are quite bizarre and I have to agree, I think once seen they’ll distract you away from enjoying the watch. Sorry I’m not helping you on keeping the watch am I, only stirring your doubt. Sometimes I long for the days pre WIS of knowing nothing about watch details.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Great watch overall I’m sure but it’s amazing how as a ‘WIS’ we can see the smallest of detail that can turn you off a watch instantly. The ‘tails’ you point out are quite bizarre and I have to agree, I think once seen they’ll distract you away from enjoying the watch. Sorry I’m not helping you on keeping the watch am I, only stirring your doubt. Sometimes I long for the days pre WIS of knowing nothing about watch details.
    I think the ‘tails’ somehow add to the shock/vibration resistance as they kind of balance the hands? - saw it on a Casio video but can’t remember where. I’ve had a couple of G steels and they are all the same. I want to like them but have sold every one shortly after purchase. For me, a g shock is a digital, the rest don’t work somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I've thought the same myself (and laughed at the sheer bloody stupidity of it too!). I too would love to return to that state of one watch to tell the time and upgrade once it craps out (still on the hunt for that 'one true watch')

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think the ‘tails’ somehow add to the shock/vibration resistance as they kind of balance the hands? - saw it on a Casio video but can’t remember where. I’ve had a couple of G steels and they are all the same. I want to like them but have sold every one shortly after purchase. For me, a g shock is a digital, the rest don’t work somehow
    That makes sense. I thought there would be a reason for the hands being this way. Although it is a design trend I've noticed across all Casio ranges, from the lowly 'classic' range up to these fancier G's. Personally I usually skip over watches with hands that extend too far beyond the centre fixing, or have any embellishment (thinking of you Zenith on the seconds hand, and even dislike the lumed ball on the second hand on Seiko SKX's for that reason). But I really like all the rest of the 'package' with this G-Shock so still very much torn.

Of course, don't even mention the early part-reveal of the updates to the square G's, including an updated GW-5000 available to the EU market officially, they're already tempting me to part with more cash! https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-50...ng-gw-5000u-1/

These new squares look like a great update - the ‘time on all screens’ meant I preferred the DW modules to solar atomics for functionality, but if they’ve fixed that and offer the date the proper way round, plus upgraded backlight - well, the new 5000 might just be as close to the ‘perfect G’ you can get. A louder alarm (the same as the battery versions) and it would be perfect!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    These new squares look like a great update - the ‘time on all screens’ meant I preferred the DW modules to solar atomics for functionality, but if they’ve fixed that and offer the date the proper way round, plus upgraded backlight - well, the new 5000 might just be as close to the ‘perfect G’ you can get. A louder alarm (the same as the battery versions) and it would be perfect!!
    Me too regarding the time showing regardless of which screen you're in. The dealbreaker on the GW-5610/5000 module for me was that you couldn't set the countdown timer to count seconds, which this update seems to have fixed.

Saying that I found the slightly different shape of the GW-5610 didn't sit well on my wrist and the strap pressed on my ulna bone in a funny way, and whilst I appreciate why people like the GW-5000 as the modern 'pinnacle' of squares, I simply preferred the lighter weight of my DW-5600, not to mention the above lack of seconds countdown.

I wouldn't use the alarm on a G-shock in 99% of instances (saying that I accidentally turned on the alarm on my DW and it took three nights of it going off at midnight for me - which was loud enough to wake me - to finally remember to look up how to switch it off!) as I'd use my phone, but if they make the buttons easier to press I might well consider one again.

Just in case you hadn't gone back to it, the article I linked to on the releases of these has been updated. Looks like only the GW-5000 is set for an EU release at present with the other new versions being JDM-only.

Funny you mention the comfort as the DW-5600 wears much better on my wrist than the 5610. My son has one of the full metal GWMB - whatevers and it’s great but I can’t stand the Bluetooth nonsense and scratched up metal doesn’t do it for me - I’m a resin guy!

Master
    Funny you mention the comfort as the DW-5600 wears much better on my wrist than the 5610. My son has one of the full metal GWMB - whatevers and it’s great but I can’t stand the Bluetooth nonsense and scratched up metal doesn’t do it for me - I’m a resin guy!
    Glad I'm not the only one on the comfort front. I tried a G-5600 (the precursor to the 5610 that looks very much like the DW-5600 but with solar) and knew immediately with that the fit wouldn't work, so returned it straight away. I can appreciate the metal G's (after all, my latest posts have been about a G-steel!) but not a fan personally of the metal squares.

Strangely enough the Bluetooth appeals (at least in principle, as I still haven't set it up on this new GST-B400 I'm dithering over) just for ease of setting things up, and I could see it being handy for setting the countdown timer between several different times, say for instance during a workout. In reality I might hate it though!

Master
    Strangely enough the Bluetooth appeals (at least in principle, as I still haven't set it up on this new GST-B400 I'm dithering over) just for ease of setting things up, and I could see it being handy for setting the countdown timer between several different times, say for instance during a workout. In reality I might hate it though!
    Well in reply to myself from yesterday, I decided to set up the correct time using the app, and can now say what an anti-climax. I still think it will be quicker if I want to switch the countdown timer time, say in the middle of a workout, and it’s undoubtedly faster than adjusting the hands on the watch itself, but it’s way more limited in its functionality than I realised (ie; you still have to switch the date format to British on the phone, no way to change it in the app). If I was buying a digital G I probably wouldn’t let the fact it did or didn’t have Bluetooth affect my purchase either way, but would probably just stick to setting everything up on the watch itself with that and leave the Bluetooth turned off.

**EDIT** Went in and took another look and discovered a load more functions in the phone app, hidden away not very helpfully away from the main screens (including being able to swap the date format between UK and US). That'll teach me for not reading the manual fully, but the additional settings are definitely not in an intuitive place. I will use it if setting world time or countdown timer, and have been able to turn off button tones, etc, but my comment about being ambivilant to it on a fully digital G still stands I think.
    Last edited by andy100; 1st July 2021 at 16:00.

Craftsman
    SL what’s the model reference , it looks ace .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    SL what’s the model reference , it looks ace .

MRG-G2000BL-9A
    https://www.g-central.com/bruce-lee-...80th-birthday/

Craftsman
    £2,886 …….. wow ….!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    SL I’ve been looking at some of your other G Shocks …. You have some beauts .

£2,886 …….. wow ….!!!

I believe they are trading for a fair bit more now.

SL I’ve been looking at some of your other G Shocks …. You have some beauts .

Thank you. Am steadily losing interest in all things watches and have reduced the numbers significantly but some are still with me.

I was pleased to see that Casio have released an upgraded line up of many of their classic, square G-Shocks. The reference numbers remain the same but now feature a U for upgraded.

Here is a list of updated features for the “U” series.

• Full auto LED backlight
    • Adjustable 1.5 or 3 second afterglow for light (versus 1.5 second non-adjustable afterglow on module 3159)
    • Current time display in stopwatch and countdown timer mode
    • 24-hour countdown timer is settable in units of seconds and not only hours and minutes
    Adjustable date format (M.DD or DD.M) and adjustable day of week language (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian)
    • Quick return to timekeeping mode by holding down Mode (C) button for more than 1 second
    • Home city time and world time display swap in world time mode by pressing the top two buttons (A and B) at the same time
    • 5 world time settings (48 cities), 31 time zones, the additional 2 time zones are for the cities of Fernando de Noronha (-2) and Kathmandu (+5.75)

Full details are here: https://www.casio.com/jp/watches/gshock/

I think JDM only at the moment, but they will filter through to us.

GBX-100NS-1ER arrived this morning - only thing I'd change is it would have been nice to ion plate the buckle pin and screws to truly black-out the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post

GBX-100NS-1ER arrived this morning - only thing I'd change is it would have been nice to ion plate the buckle pin and screws to truly black-out the design.
    Mine’s coming tomorrow!

Just spotted those GBD models, maybe some buyer’s regret now…

GMW-B5000GD-4ER. No doubt some will hate the rose gold...

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I was pleased to see that Casio have released an upgraded line up of many of their classic, square G-Shocks. The reference numbers remain the same but now feature a U for upgraded.
    Thanks for noting this, I hadn't picked up on it when I saw these as new releases on the Japan site. Great to see the non-BT classics getting tweaked and an extended lease of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Thanks for noting this, I hadn't picked up on it when I saw these as new releases on the Japan site. Great to see the non-BT classics getting tweaked and an extended lease of life.
    There’s a U version GW5000 for the European market too, allegedly!

Mudmaster

I wonder if they will have white or blue back lights instead of green. If they made the buttons easier to press then I would be tempted to upgrade my Gw5000 but probably not worth it...

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    GMW-B5000GD-4ER. No doubt some will hate the rose gold...

Oooh - that’s a beauty 👍

G-Central have confirmed this, already showing in the Casio EU website!

Show your G-Shocks

Will footie be coming home tonight ???

Japan Coast Guard Frogman jcg

Craftsman
    New arrival

A few of my squares that lack corners.

Master
    Latest arrival:

Craftsman
    Love the green flashes - subtle but great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Latest arrival:
    Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I wonder if they will have white or blue back lights instead of green. If they made the buttons easier to press then I would be tempted to upgrade my Gw5000 but probably not worth it...

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

They definitely have the white LED backlight, and they look excellent. After having loads of new GW-5000s throughout the years, I've ended up with a well used second-hand model, which I tarted up with a new bezel. That fact and all the other improvements, mean that I am definitely in the market for one of the improved models. The world time instant city swap, and showing the time in timer and stopwatch modes were the key factors. It will take some time reverting to DD/MM on a G though. :)

They're currently tricky to find, with even Seiya sold out.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/g-gw-5000-1jf

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    G-Central have confirmed this, already showing in the Casio EU website!
    Apparently the GW5000U are not coming to the UK - the other models are showing as ‘coming soon’ on the G shock UK website but not the 5000U. I’ve just ordered one from Seiya who has them back in stock. They’ll probably show up on G shock UK for £199 now knowing my luck!! :)

Master
    Apparently the GW5000U are not coming to the UK - the other models are showing as ‘coming soon’ on the G shock UK website but not the 5000U. I’ve just ordered one from Seiya who has them back in stock. They’ll probably show up on G shock UK for £199 now knowing my luck!! :)

I for one don’t think this is a bad thing. If the GW-5000U was to appear in the UK, God forbid Argos, the allure of it would be totally gone. I think the fact that it’s been a strict JDM watch only has added massively to its WIS appeal.

I must admit I’m now looking at my G shock collection - many of which I rarely if ever wear, partly due to 50+ eyesight - and have come to the conclusion that the screwback Japanese made models, of which I will have 4 once the 5000 arrives, are all I need and are both unusual and feel better made/chunky like a G shock should imho. I’m not great on model numbers without checking but that will leave a GWF 1000 frog, a GF8235 frog, a DW5735 and the Gw5000. That’s a nice blend of grey and gold screens, all bar one is solar and 2 are solar/atomic. The only one I’m considering selling is the GWF1000, I have large 8 3/4 inch wrists but wear it on my right wrist and it’s just not comfy, the 8235 wears so much better. Not a fan of the ana/digi, Bluetooth and upmarket direction G shocks seem to be taking of late, all a bit too fussy for my tastes - and a lot are comedy big, even for me! - as you say, any model that crops up in Argos is instantly ‘not cool’ ;)

Ok, rather shocked that having ordered a GW-5000U late on Sunday night from Seiya that it’s actually arrived before midday on Wednesday all the way from Tokyo! - I’m sure I’ll get some sort of customs bill but in the past that’s come beforehand and held up delivery for at least a week so such swift arrival was totally unexpected!
    First impressions are really great, arrived well packaged with a cleaning cloth and 2021 citizen catalogue all in Japanese and the same domestic Japanese leatherette box my Gwf1000 frog came in. The watch has clearly never been out of the packaging and has all the Japanese market hang tags and instructions etc. I’ve never had a 5000 before (although I’ve had lots of G squares) and the strap on this is so soft it’s amazing. I imagined it would be slightly softer but this is in another league. It also seems slightly longer so fits my 8 3/4 inch wrist with 2 spare holes and enough to fit through the keeper - in comparison a DW5600e has one hole less left over (and as this is thicker due to the screwback it’s a relief tbh). The buttons feel the same as any other square I’ve owned including the GW-5610 so no idea where all the ‘tiny stiffer buttons on the 5000’ come from. The led light is pure white and shows brighter on the left - I’ve seen complaints about this but if anything it makes it feel more retro and the option to set for 3 seconds duration is an improvement. It’s also great to have the time visible in timer and countdown modes like the older battery models - a massive improvement. Then add in the ability to set the date to show the correct UK way with day then month and this feels like I might have found a perfect G - a massive shock having had so many! - I even prefer the monochrome colourway as I always found the use of colours and fonts a bit busy.
    Thanks to Seiya, a really awesome service!

GW-5000U

Very nice that!

I too have been around the houses with G Shocks aplenty before settling on the GW-5000. Having previously noted in my gentle and understated way that the GW-5000 was the finest timepiece ever made or ever likely to be made, I now have to admit my humble mistake. It's like the old adage about how you make God (insert deity of choice) laugh*.

The new GW-5000U is proof that Casio is divine and listens to our prayers.

I have now sold my GW-5000 due to the inevitability that I will own a GW-5000U in the future.

*Tell Him (insert pronoun of choice) your plans

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Thanks!
    Yes, all MRG are Titanium.
    The Blue Phoenix isn’t .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Thanks!
    Yes, all MRG are Titanium.