closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: In praise of my G-Shock Riseman - five years and counting...

In praise of my G-Shock Riseman - five years and counting...

Not a long blurb, stories of epic adventures or series of pics (I'll bung in a few though) but I have worn my Riseman virtually every single day for five years now. IMHO there is simply no better everyday beater than this and it is certainly IMHO the best G ever made in terms of size, features and looks - it's been underwater, up mountains, on (and off) the bike, in the workshop and generally is a little beaten up but it never needs anything - always synced to perfect time, always fully charged up and as much as I bash it, dunk it or drop it - no worries.

When I bought one in 2013 I bought another (spare) as they were silly cheap (£110?) at the time from Amazon but foolishly sold this on. The original is still going though...

The ultimate beater !
    I’ve got a Casio but it’s the 15 quid cheap one. Still very hardy though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I have mine almost 10 years and I adore it. It's the beater's beater. I've been less than kind to it but it never skips a beat. I swim every day, be it in the sea or the pool, and it's on my wrist then. It's my holiday watch too so it's been around the world and in every kind of climate, without issue.

Master
    Mine is used to set my they watches by. Still in perfect condition & lives in its tin in my sock drawer, come out when it needs a charge and never worn.

Master
    Mine will be off with my skiing at the weekend as I'm then not worried about falling on it/scratching it with things etc. Also a good excuse to play with the altimeter! Picked up from EBay after seeing a thread about it some years-got a good deal and I doubt I could find a replacement at the same price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Mine will be off with my skiing at the weekend as I'm then not worried about falling on it/scratching it with things etc. Also a good excuse to play with the altimeter! Picked up from EBay after seeing a thread about it some years-got a good deal and I doubt I could find a replacement at the same price.
    How much out of interest?

No real idea what these go for now.

Real mix of prices. As usual silly asking prices on EBay for BIN but actual sold/bought/bid values seem to be £50 to £150ish.

I never understand why Casio discontinue great watches like these and others (like the gw6900) seemingly at random?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under rated watch and cheaper than the much lauded rangeman.

My most worn gshock.

Wonderful G's! I had a couple at one time... wish I'd kept hold of the men in Smoky Grey!!!

Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd March 2024 at 15:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    How much out of interest?

No real idea what these go for now.

Was back in 2014 but a quick check of the accounts seems to suggest £72. Maybe they aren't worth more now looking at the selling prices below but was in good condition with the outer box and tin etc. Good value in any case.

Great watches, I tried one on shortly after buying my 6900 a few years ago. Regretted not buying it ever since, it was much more comfy than the one I have, better spec etc, finally made my mind up, went to the shop and it had been discontinued. This was in the days before I was aware of the reputable online dealers and then the watch fell off my radar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wonderful G's! I had a couple at one time... wish I'd kept hold of the MiB!!!

MiB looks great - never realised it wasn’t a multiband until seeing your photo. I had it on my list to obtain, but never got around to it.

Anyone own one of the other special editions of the Riseman?

Was there a cream/white/yellow coloured special?

Blog Entries
    I've got a GW-9200PJ-7 which is a white special edition (I think it was a special edition) with a blue highlight around the eye. I think it was the 'Men in Ice White Riseman'.

No pics since I seem to have mislaid it.

The white bezel looks nice but gets grubby easily.

Generic pic:

My pair: -

Worth a thread resurrection I think

Ive always been drawn to the 'Men In Ice White' version and looking at how much these are now going for on eBay wish that I had bought one when prices were more reasonable!

There is another way though - I picked this bezel and strap up recently. All I need now is the sensor decal which I have ordered from PacParts in the States

Just waiting for a NOS standard Riseman to arrive from Japan

The circular barometer surround and legend at the bottom of the dial in red wont match the original blue of a genuine MIIW but it will look OK I think

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Worth a thread resurrection I think

Ive always been drawn to the 'Men In Ice White' version and looking at how much these are now going for on eBay wish that I had bought one when prices were more reasonable!

There is another way though - I picked this bezel and strap up recently. All I need now is the sensor decal which I have ordered from PacParts in the States

Just waiting for a NOS standard Riseman to arrive from Japan

The circular barometer surround and legend at the bottom of the dial in red wont match the original blue of a genuine MIIW but it will look OK I think

Ian
    That’s a true watch fan.👍 Picking up the strap and bezel before the watch. Please post a pic of the final assembly.

Blog Entries
    I picked this bezel and strap up recently.
    Mind me asking where you got it?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Mind me asking where you got it?
    eBay!

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    eBay!
    Ah, thanks. :-)

I have the Men in Matte Black and I bought a white bezel and strap some time ago...

Both are a bit knackered now so interested to know where and how much to replace!

I love mine but the only disappointing thing is the film of oil on the inside of the glass now. I can’t clean it as the unit is sealed. I’ve seen people filling them with oil but don’t fancy that. Otherwise a cracking watch!

There are loads of replacement black bezels and straps on eBay - that's where I bought my spare ones from. UK sellers are common too.

The white ones are around - though at a price. Expect to pay between £60 - £90

The correct bezel and strap are at the top of that price range. TikTox used to do them a lot cheaper but limited models available now I think.

I may not bother as the foggy crystal is not fixable anyway as far as I can tell.

Master
    Very nice, but my favourite of all the watches pictured is the G-Lide in the middle on the first wrist shot. I have two myself, in blue and green. And now I think I need a yellow one.

All I need now is for the new 'sensor' legend plate to arrive and I am ready for conversion to Men In Ice White

The most comfortable watch Ive ever worn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades81 View Post
    I love mine but the only disappointing thing is the film of oil on the inside of the glass now. I can’t clean it as the unit is sealed. I’ve seen people filling them with oil but don’t fancy that. Otherwise a cracking watch!

That's interesting, haven't seen that on any of my Gs. I'm guessing that wearing them in hot weather regularly causes oil vapour to redistribute itself around the inside of the watch? Or is it something that's common to this particular model?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    That's interesting, haven't seen that on any of my Gs. I'm guessing that wearing them in hot weather regularly causes oil vapour to redistribute itself around the inside of the watch? Or is it something that's common to this particular model?
    Im on my 4th Riseman now and Ive never encountered this - nor on any other G Shocks.

I've admired the Riseman for many years but never had one. I think the sensor on the left of the case has put me off, thinking that it may be uncomfortable, seemingly not. It certainly has just about all the features one could ever need.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've admired the Riseman for many years but never had one. I think the sensor on the left of the case has put me off, thinking that it may be uncomfortable, seemingly not. It certainly has just about all the features one could ever need.
    That's right - it is no problem at all and doesn't really protrude much further than the red barometer button on the other side. The watch and strap are so light and beautifully proportioned you hardly know that you are wearing it.

Im on my 4th Riseman now and Ive never encountered this - nor on any other G Shocks.
    i have had mine at least 9-10 years I think. I guess I’m unlucky but if you search you’ll find it’s a thing specifically on the solar models, not just the Riseman. Interestingly it happened on my Seiko SNK809 but I whipped the movement out and cleaned it and it was fine again.
    The problem with the solar watches is that the solar lens is super thin and easy to break when attempting to remove. I could send it in to a Casio repair centre for a free assessment but not sure it’s worth spending a tonne of money on.

That's right - it is no problem at all and doesn't really protrude much further than the red barometer button on the other side. The watch and strap are so light and beautifully proportioned you hardly know that you are wearing it.
    Thanks Velorum but as I have 8 Gs already, I really shouldn't, assuming I could even find one in good nick...
    I remember Evan Davies of Newsnight and now PM fame, wore one for ages. It used to distract me from the news. :)

Still fairly easy to pick up VGC or even NOS ones but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere!

Being rather impatient and frustrated at waiting for the new sensor badge to arrive I thought that I would have a go at transferring the original. It was actually quite easy. Once the bezel was removed I could flex the housing enough to get a small screwdriver under the badge and prize it out. It was held in place with something like rubber cement. Fortunately its quite thick so there was little danger of deforming it - my main fear.

Everything else was straightforward though I had to study the barometer sensor washer that fell out when I took the old bezel off to make sure that I was refitting it the right way.

Im happy with the result especially the gloss finish which isn't as susceptible to getting grubby as a matt one would be.

Did you pop out the plastic part that blocks the two holes at the top from the old bezel? It’s loose so should be easy. Looks good!

That looks fantastic Velorum.👍👍 Might have to try and track one down.

Master
    Nice work, looks fab.

Blog Entries
    Im happy with the result especially the gloss finish which isn't as susceptible to getting grubby as a matt one would be.
    I've got the Ice White Riseman and this is probably not a good time to tell you that the white plastic definitely does get grubby over time. I've tried cleaning it but the grubbiness seems to be somehow combined into the surface.

Blog Entries
    Did you pop out the plastic part that blocks the two holes at the top from the old bezel? It’s loose so should be easy. Looks good!
    Oh yes, well noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I've got the Ice White Riseman and this is probably not a good time to tell you that the white plastic definitely does get grubby over time. I've tried cleaning it but the grubbiness seems to be somehow combined into the surface.
    That's disappointing.

Probably a good thing that I only intend to wear it occasionally. I have a black one for more regular use.

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

The MIIW next to my black one - bought recently, new old stock

I have a spare new white bezel and strap that I picked up a while ago whilst getting various parts together that I'm going to put on SC soon

No I didn't!

Thanks for pointing that out - all sorted now!

Maybe I need to update this topic now to 10 years and counting. *Still* my daily wearer and a bit more bashed and worn but it continues without a thought or a care every single day, at work, at play, up mountains, in the sea. The altimeter is a fair bit out now sadly but all good apart from that.

Last edited by Max...; 22nd September 2023 at 09:07.

One of my most worn watches due to size, comfort, weight. I love my 9400, but the size of 9200 beats it.

Had a Riseman in the collection for years now… one of the all time great G’s and an easy watch to wear despite its dimensions on paper. Can’t imagine ever selling mine, anyway.

The Riseman is dead…
    Long live the Riseman!

Just had a punt on the newest iteration. Smart as a carrot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^ That’s a Rangeman!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    ^^^ That’s a Rangeman!
    Ha ha - oh yeh. I am slowman today. Up too early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro