closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Tiger Woods all washed up?

No he's not washed up. He won't give up and will find his game again at some point

Craftsman
    He feels to be on his descent.

I only hope he recognises it for what it is, adjusts his attitude and game plan unlike others who didn't step back from a high profile playing position.

I really would love him to carry on playing at the highest levels, but not to the detriment of his amazing contribution to the game

Yes he is !

Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    Yes he is !
    At least you changed the terminal punctuation this time round, it wasn't a complete copy.

In truth no one knows. Golf is a fickle game and all I will say is this is Tiger Woods. So if anyone can bring a game back its him

He's got two swings at the moment, one one the range and one on the course. Personally I hope not, but it's an uphill struggle that's for sure.

Tigers latest comeback is now in tatters http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/37619709
    Now ranked 786 in the world his demise has to be on a sporting scale not seen before, but as Wayne Rooney is finding 'age stops for no man'.
    Such a shame that the greatest golfer of modern times should finish like this but just can't see him as a player to hack about at the back of the field.

It's strange that only last week Jesper Parnevik commented on how he played with him and he was flushing it. As ever with Woods you know what he wants you to know.
    According to his good mate Notah Begay he's physically fine but his games just not where it should be. Notah tends to be an unofficial spokesman for Woods so I'm inclined to believe this.
    On a personal level I hope it's not the end. Plenty of golfers with far less natural talent have won majors in their 40'so it's still very possible.
    If it is the end then it's been a remarkable career.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Tigers latest comeback is now in tatters http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/37619709
    Now ranked 786 in the world his demise has to be on a sporting scale not seen before, but as Wayne Rooney is finding 'age stops for no man'.
    Such a shame that the greatest golfer of modern times should finish like this but just can't see him as a player to hack about at the back of the field.
    There's no doubt he's given us golf fans a lot of entertainment over the years, but I think there will be more scandal to come out as there's something of the night about Mr Woods.

Journeyman
    For sure.

Best golfer of my sons generation and one of the best of all time. His swing is athletic and if he Hoganised his swing a bit he might be able to compete again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'd be more than happy to eat my own words but I think he's done. Looks like there's too much going on in the old noodle nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, yes.

Tigers long awaited come back has started, he shot 1 over at the Hero World Challenge. There were glimpses of the old maestro but two double bogeys killed his round. He lies second to last in this 18 man field.

I think there's lots of positives from last night, watched most of his round and 1 over after such a long lay off is not too bad. His iron play was majestic but a couple of poor drives and a couple of green side shots cost him dear.
    Even with his record I'd be very surprised, given the sheer weight of attention and expectation on him, if he wasn't nervous as hell yesterday.

Lets hope he can keep it going, golf still needs him. A bit better course management and he could be in the mix!

We'll find out in the next few months. I think his dominance is certainly a thing of the past.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I heard that he has Syphilis.

bloody nutter.

7 under for his round today with 3 to play! Not too shabby for a 15 month lay off

Well Tigers come back looked on the cards Friday. But Sunday off came the wheels again, I watched him take a 7 on the 11th (took him 4 to get down from just off the green) this was on a course he's been practising on for the two months. Two birdies saved his face a little but he's so inconsistent. Friday was the old Tiger...Sunday was club pro standard at best!
    Last edited by wildheart; 15th April 2019 at 10:29.

Well Tigers come back looked on the cards Friday. But Sunday off came the wheels again, I watched him take a 7 on the 11th (took him 4 to get down from just off the green) this was on a course he's been practising on for the two months. Two birdies saved his face a little but he's so inconstant. Friday was the old Tiger...Sunday was club pro standard at best!
    Going forward it will be tough, as giving away 15 years to younger guys at the top of their game will not be easy week in and week out.

Craftsman
    Might be worth a little wager on him winning a major next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    Double with Leicester City to win the Champions League! :)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post

At 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/1 - sure, I'm in!

Not got a hope in hell of ever winning another Major I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    At 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/1 - sure, I'm in!

Not got a hope in hell of ever winning another Major I'm afraid
    He has more chance of winning an AVN award.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    He has more chance of winning an AVN award.

Haha, good one!

Journeyman
    Even as a massive Tiger Woods fan, i think i'm going to need to see a little more from him to believe that he has another win in the locker. I think breaking Sam Snead's record is a realistic career goal for him now.....even then he has a lot to improve on.

Craftsman
    Give him time , he needs some good performances in full PGA events to convince himself he is close and his supporters the ammunition to continue supporting him . The doubters will always be just that .

Journeyman
    He did the right thing coming back in the bahamas. Small field, limited crowd, limited media presence.... nonetheless, he has a lot of winter practice to do.

I hope we see him win again. Golf is weird without ETW being the favourite for every event.

Quote Originally Posted by AMS87 View Post
    He did the right thing coming back in the bahamas. Small field, limited crowd, limited media presence.... nonetheless, he has a lot of winter practice to do.

I hope we see him win again. Golf is weird without ETW being the favourite for every event.

There is a danger that he could become a sad sideshow at every event. Time waits for nobody and in my view he is washed up, finished and on top of that I have seen him at fairly close quarters and his attitude towards fans leaves a lot to be desired.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    There is a danger that he could become a sad sideshow at every event. Time waits for nobody and in my view he is washed up, finished and on top of that I have seen him at fairly close quarters and his attitude towards fans leaves a lot to be desired.
    I don't think he will let himself become a sideshow. Problem is, I don't think this new swing he's adopted has any real sustainability. he may be able to make it work for a round or two....but I'm not sure if/how he's going to string 4 rounds together.

winning another major just seems so unlikely but you never know, he is Tiger Woods.

Master
    Mentally weak. Was playing whilst hypnotised his whole career, and crumbled at the first sign of a real challenge.

His swing style wrecked his body, but it's the mental side which cost him.

Golf (like my sport (target rifle shooting)) is 75% mental strength.

Compare that to Ryan Giggs; shagging his brother's wife for years and never let it affect his game.

Mentally very strong.

Craftsman
    Tiger was jetting around before and after tournaments seeing all kinds of women as has been well documented and that was in his prime period of domination !
    The issue here is his mental conditioning has been lost or put to one side and needs to be regained . He seems very relaxed on the course so far , engages with a lot of the players and doesn't seem so intense as he used to be . He will need to regain some of this focus to win regularly again . I disagree he is mentally weak .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Tiger was jetting around before and after tournaments seeing all kinds of women as has been well documented and that was in his prime period of domination !
    The issue here is his mental conditioning has been lost or put to one side and needs to be regained . He seems very relaxed on the course so far , engages with a lot of the players and doesn't seem so intense as he used to be . He will need to regain some of this focus to win regularly again . I disagree he is mentally weak .
    If by 'mental conditioning' you mean hypnosis, I would contend that if you need hypnosis to perform, you are indeed mentally weak or at least unable to perform mentally under pressure

I spoke at length to an international level golf coach about this, and this was his view too.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    If by 'mental conditioning' you mean hypnosis, I would contend that if you need hypnosis to perform, you are indeed mentally weak or at least unable to perform mentally under pressure

I spoke at length to an international level golf coach about this, and this was his view too.
    I think accusing someone of using mental conditioning of being weak mentally is very wrong. Most eye target statutory sports use visual disciplines. I have read many books on how this can benefit your mental strength Darren Clarke - The Mind Factor, Deepak Chopra - Golf for Enlightenment, Dream on - John Richardson all talk about the benefit of subconscious visualisation. Golf is a game played over 4 to five hours, staying focused continually is impossible. Being able to get in the 'zone' you needs triggers, Paul McKenna has worked with many top golfers including Sir Nick Faldo.
    You be a brave man accusing Him of mental weakness.

Master
    I think accusing someone of using mental conditioning of being weak mentally is very wrong. Most eye target statutory sports use visual disciplines. I have read many books on how this can benefit your mental strength Darren Clarke - The Mind Factor, Deepak Chopra - Golf for Enlightenment, Dream on - John Richardson all talk about the benefit of subconscious visualisation. Golf is a game played over 4 to five hours, staying focused continually is impossible. Being able to get in the 'zone' you needs triggers, Paul McKenna has worked with many top golfers including Sir Nick Faldo.
    You be a brave man accusing Him of mental weakness.
    I know all this, I sell some of the books on this subject!

There's a huge difference (IMO) between mental conditioning, mental training, mental triggers etc etc etc, and hypnosis.

That was my point.

You forgot to mention "no cut line on Friday" too...............

His big strength used to be his ability to forget a bad shot and then hit a amazing recovery shot. Now he hits a bad shot and you can see him show his diss appointment and frustration. Personally think he would need several tournaments of playing well to get his belief in his own game back.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    His big strength used to be his ability to forget a bad shot and then hit a amazing recovery shot. Now he hits a bad shot and you can see him show his diss appointment and frustration. Personally think he would need several tournaments of playing well to get his belief in his own game back.
    He used to have a "10m circle". he would allow himself to be angry within a 10m radius of where he hit his shot. as soon as he visualized himself 'stepping out' of that circle, he had to focus on his next shot, regardless of how it got there.

I don't think he is mentally weak, I would say he is down on confidence, and therefore trust, using his new technique. If/Once he refines this new swing, I think we will see his mental strength pull him through into a result.

from someone that STILL has a 24% win percentage on tour (pretty exceptional considering next best is Rory with 9.9%), I struggle to think that he will accept anything other than having a realistic chance of winning every week. if he cant get it together, I think a career in the commentary box is more likely.

Craftsman

Well firstly I never mentioned Hypnosis , mental conditioning can be achieved by many practises . By the phrase I purely meant he was able to teach a higher state of awareness and focus . In all honesty If somebody is able to achieve this on a regular basis pretty much on demand I would argue their mental state is stronger at outset to allow it to happen in the first place !
    In fact it was documented that Tiger on numerous occasions was unable to remember certain shots and holes after a round . He was able to zone in and stay there for a longer period than most .
    I am not aware of other top pros who have used this technique to any successful degree otherwise Tiger would of maybe had some competition or his records would be in jeopardy .
    As far as your ' International coach ' is concerned . This doesn't mean anything , there are thousands of golf coaches teaching all manner of things all over Europe etc and most get it badly wrong and hold back many young talented players .
    By nature of the demands both physical and mental golfers in the top echelon come and go they rarely have a long career at the top . Take Seve , great player while young and flexible he ruled but as he got older and his bad technique got slowed by his back issues caused by the bad technique he drifted away . A real golfing icon in my book but could of had a longer career forgetting his unfortunate health issues . It's always open for debate that's the core issue no one understands it to so much of a degree they can say for certainty.

Craftsman
    I know all this, I sell some of the books on this subject!

There's a huge difference (IMO) between mental conditioning, mental training, mental triggers etc etc etc, and hypnosis.

That was my point.
    Haven't you just contradicted yourself here ?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Haven't you just contradicted yourself here ?!
    I don't think I have, no.

Hypnosis is a huge step beyond mental training, in my opinion.

Your opinion might be different, and that's fine.

He used to have a "10m circle". he would allow himself to be angry within a 10m radius of where he hit his shot. as soon as he visualized himself 'stepping out' of that circle, he had to focus on his next shot, regardless of how it got there.

I don't think he is mentally weak, I would say he is down on confidence, and therefore trust, using his new technique. If/Once he refines this new swing, I think we will see his mental strength pull him through into a result.

from someone that STILL has a 24% win percentage on tour (pretty exceptional considering next best is Rory with 9.9%), I struggle to think that he will accept anything other than having a realistic chance of winning every week. if he cant get it together, I think a career in the commentary box is more likely.

I think he'd be pleased with being able to chip into a 10m circle these days........sorry, couldn't resist!

I see Eldrick has submitted his entry to the Genesis Open at Riviera Country Club for Feb 2017. Will be a stern test (its a very tight/tough track and the scene of his PGA Tour debut) for his first outing for the 2017 season....

I think people forget what got Tiger to the level of success he's achieved. Yes it was talent and and an aura of superiority. But it was also a work ethic that was second to none.
    He's 41 at the end of the month but Stenson won the Open at 40 (and he's also had surgeries), Vijay won majors and numerous tournaments past 40 so I think it's a brave man who writes him off.
    There's no question it will harder for him but I think he knows that better than most.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I think people forget what got Tiger to the level of success he's achieved. Yes it was talent and and an aura of superiority. But it was also a work ethic that was second to none.
    He's 41 at the end of the month but Stenson won the Open at 40 (and he's also had surgeries), Vijay won majors and numerous tournaments past 40 so I think it's a brave man who writes him off.
    There's no question it will harder for him but I think he knows that better than most.
    Would never write him off....but I'm just concerned that this swing may not be reliable enough.

I'd love nothing more than to see him break Jack's record (and by defaults, Sam Snead's) because he has every other record. Then no one could question that he is the GOAT.

Well we are certainly going to find out, as his intention is to play in the Genesis Open in February. As others have stated if his new swing can hold up to being consistent then anything can happen.

For those interested Paul McKenna has a golf Mind coach app on Apple, I'm using it with mixed results.

Looks like he might be planning ahead as I've heard that he is in the running to buy Taylormade Golf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/39228065

Bye bye 2017......

Only a matter of time until he gets his head around the fact he is done....then he's off IMO.

Golf star Tiger Woods was arrested on a drink-driving charge in Florida early on Monday morning, police say.
    Police recorded the arrest at 07:18 local time (11:18 GMT). The golfer was released a few hours later, records from Palm Beach County police show. He was arrested in the town of Jupiter at around 03:00 local time, media reports say. He has not made any comment, The police record lists the charge as Driving Under the Influence (DUI). It specifies an unlawful blood alcohol level and says that he was released on his "own recognizance", meaning he promised in writing to co-operate with future legal proceedings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40087317

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Yet another chapter in his demise. He is now just a sideshow in the game and with each ballz up he only dents what once would have been a proud golfing legacy.