closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fortis - my favourite watch brand

Fortis - my favourite watch brand

My two favourite watches are my Fortis B42 ltd ed titanium cosmonaut chrono and my pick up and go Sinn UX

I'm truly surprised that more wiz'ers haven't picked up on the quality of Fortis watches

Tremendous clarity for a chrono, just the right size and so wearable

A hugely underrated brand and, as it's not a well-known high street name, one that you don't see often. Here's my B-42 Pilot Pro Chrono though it's currently one of my lesser worn watches:

Been a fave of mine for many years - that Ti chrono was a Grail of mine for years, and if one pops up anytime...... ;)

Their build quality is outstanding, they're robust, great looking and a nice it of history with the brand of you like that. I found some great info about the company and founder recently - will dig out a link and some piccies of my past affairs.
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 2nd February 2015 at 11:11.

http://gevrilgroup.com/watchbrands/f...retrospective/

http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/wa...is_history.htm

Pilot Pro Chrono - 42mm bead-blasted SS case, Valjoux 7750 movement. Push down crown but still 200m WR (including chrono pushers)

Official Cosmonauts Chrono - 39/40mm Ti case, Lemania 5100 movement. Really wish I had kept this one.....

Fleiger Chrono - think this was 40mm but looked bigger. Val.7750 again

Current watch - B42 Official Cosmonauts Diver. 42mm, Titanium Case and bracelet. ETA movement running well inside COSC specs (more info on SC, as it is there at present ;) )

Master
    Really like the classic look of these watches, just had a look at the full range and they do some really nice models, some too colourful for me though.
    Any ideas what the two triangles signify either side of the date window..........just curious.
    Last edited by barryw; 2nd February 2015 at 12:24.

Sold mine last week - must admit, I was hugely impressed by the legibility and quality of it. It just repeated a watch already in the collection, as would the 7750 chrono in the OP, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Really like the classic look of these watches, just had a look at the full range and they do some really nice models, some too colourful for me though.
    Any ideas what the two triangles signify either side of the date window..........just curious.
    The triangles are direction indicators for setting - turn the crown one way for changing the day, other way for date (point up is clockwise I think)

I think their pilot and cosmonaut chronos are amongst the best looking watches out there (to my taste, obviously). I can definitely see one of these in my collection at some point.

Master
    Haven't taken mine off since receiving it last week, one of my best watch buys, thanks again great lume as well as one of the clearest watch faces I've ever had. It's a definite keeper for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    The triangles are direction indicators for setting - turn the crown one way for changing the day, other way for date (point up is clockwise I think)
    Cheers!

I had this trio a while back

Good watches
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice
    I've had a Fortis B42 Cosmonauts Titanium Chronograph for about five years. Fantastic watch, accurate timekeeping, beautiful but functional design. Looks great on the original titanium strap or the Fortis leather and rubber alternatives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was always on the lookout for the ref.644.27.142 LE, powered by the Lemania 5100...but one never came up at the right time

I am a fan of the brand too. This gets an outing once or twice a fortnight.

Master
    This was my 40th Birthday watch last year. Bracelet is built like a tank, but it goes well on velcro too:

Blog Entries
    Very underrated indeed.......

IMHO lovely watches that present great VFM.

Master
    Some fantastic looking watches in the range, do most of the 3 handers contain Eta 2824 movements as very little info on some of the sites.What's the aftersales like on these and can they be serviced in the UK?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by barryw; 2nd February 2015 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Some fantastic looking watches in the range, do most of the 3 handers contain Eta 2824 movements as very little info on some of the sites.What's the aftersales like on these and can they be serviced in the UK?
    Thanks.
    They do in general (the more modern variants - there is also a world of vintage Fortis!), and they use the Top grade movements from what I am aware. EDIT - Altho0ugh as per the post below, it is not the only movement they currently or recently have used.

Aftersales, depends on where you buy it from generally. There is a very reputable AD in Leicester. My regular chap was Nottingham but is no longer a stockist.
    I have dealt directly with Fortis and found them to be helpful and responsive mostly, even pro-active to a well-documented screw-in crown issue with the earliest B42 models.

Any watchmaker will be able to work on them, as the movements are mostly common and still current (perhaps not the Lemania). No need to have A.D. or manufacturer serviced in my opinion.

Bit of info in ETA movement grading. Quote from ETAswissmovement.com:

ETA 2824-2

This is the most basic ETA movement we’re all familiar with. It’s used in a ton of different watch brands and is a very good 25 jewel movement. There are four grades of movement for this watch.
    ◾Standard – Average variance of +/- 12 seconds per day. Maximum variance of +/- 30 seconds per day. Two adjustment positions.
    ◾Elaborated – Average variance of +/- 7 seconds per day. Maximum variance of +/- 30 seconds per day. Three adjustment positions.
    ◾Top – Average variance of +/- 4 seconds per day. Maximum variance of +/- 10 seconds per day. Five adjustment positions. Improved barrel spring, shock protection, pallet stones, balance wheel, hair spring and regulator mechanism.
    ◾Chronometer – Must meet COSC standards. Serial numbered. Highly decorative. Average variance of -4/+6 seconds per day. Maximum variance of +/- 5 seconds per day. Improved barrel spring, shock protection, pallet stones, balance wheel, hair spring and regulator mechanism.
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 2nd February 2015 at 18:20.

Master
    B-42 Cosmo Date uses an ETA 2836

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    B-42 Cosmo Date uses an ETA 2836
    Thanks Gorrie.
    Sorry - if it is a Date only model, it is probably a 2824. If Day/Date, then probably a 2836 as stated above.
    The Fleigers were mostly 2824. I think all of the B-42 models are Day/Date so likely 2836
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 2nd February 2015 at 18:26.

Master
    Thanks for the info above, I've read a little on the history and I know this is a stupid question but is the B-42 referring to the bomber?
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by barryw; 2nd February 2015 at 19:02.

I had one of the early Cosmonaut Lemania chronos (0-60 bezel but dial numerals, not linear indices).
    I also had 5 of the Lemania 5100 powered Ducati LEs (one I got for myself, the others I cleared out of the Leeds Ducati dealer).

And I had the boss for a few years

It was a lovely watch, but

The stock lume was a joke - really bad.
    And it is odd that for a 42mm watch (nearer 43 with the bezel), it takes 20mm straps, which can look a little skinny unless you pick the right one.

As a result, it came third in the Lemania 5100 Titanium triumvirate that I owned (the other 2 are Sinn EZM1 and Tutima Commando II ZUZ). So I never wore it and eventually sold it.

No regrets

Dave

Master
    Don't believe so. The 42 refers to the case size (42mm)
    They do a B-47 (47mm) and an F-43 (43mm).

I have more (non cosmonaut models)!

Master
    Thanks for the all the info. Only had mine since last week, bought from our own Mr Yeti but already it has become my favourite daily beater, it is very comfortable to wear and so easy to read, and it just looks so right.
    Always fancied one, but never got round to owning one and now I have I can see why they are so rated by their owners. A must try...

In my experience, the lume has been above average on these.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    In my experience, the lume has been above average on these.
    Assuming the watch in the picture was the one owned by Sweets, then the lume would be weak as its a Tritium dial. My Pilot Pro had a T dial and the lume was all but dead, I think the watch was from the late 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Assuming the watch in the picture was the one owned by Sweets, then the lume would be weak as its a Tritium dial. My Pilot Pro had a T dial and the lume was all but dead, I think the watch was from the late 90s.
    Yup, that lume is weak

- - - Updated - - -

I share your enthusiasm.
    Inspite of the busy dial lay out, I love the way it looks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ....And it is odd that for a 42mm watch (nearer 43 with the bezel), it takes 20mm straps, which can look a little skinny unless you pick the right one.
    This is exaggerated by the clunky lugs too. It was one of the reasons I sold mine, and also because it's bloody heavy on the bracelet (the steel version anyway). Love the look though, especially the chronos.

Funny, the 20mm lug width is what makes it for me. 22mm is almost always a deal breaker for me, that's why I have tried and failed with the Breitling Aerospace (3 separate times lol).
    Trit dials are a bit duff, but the newer lume is spot on.

Actually,20 mm here works quite well,IMO.

Current watch - B42 Official Cosmonauts Diver. 42mm, Titanium Case and bracelet. ETA movement running well inside COSC specs (more info on SC, as it is there at present ;) )
    Tempted. So tempted.

Always fancied one of these...

Trit dials are a bit duff, but the newer lume is spot on.
    Wierd isn't it
    Fortis were producing Trit dials for that Lemania 5100 LE in 2003, quite some time after everyone else gave up on Trit.

I do understand that the lume has since improved massively.

D

Here's mine.

It was actually my first real watch purchase years ago, picked up from a guy on the UKGSer site. I love the simplicity and clarity of the face and must admit to not being a great fan of the 'sword' type hands found on a lot of fliegers.

Journeyman
    Here's one of mine:

I have a B42 Cosmo Chrono that is a keeper and have also flipped a Cockpit Flieger and a Spacematic. Very much an under rated brand.

Had this one and let it go - big mistake in hindsight.

The B42 stratoliner was one of the first watches that drew me to watches. Couldn't afford it at the time though. Seriously nice and not often seen.
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 4th April 2015 at 08:29.

Master
    Been a fave of mine for many years - that Ti chrono was a Grail of mine for years, and if one pops up anytime...... ;)

Their build quality is outstanding, they're robust, great looking and a nice it of history with the brand of you like that. I found some great info about the company and founder recently - will dig out a link and some piccies of my past affairs.
    That would be one of these, then?

I had a crisis of indecision about this recently and started thinking of selling to buy a NOS Rolex GMT II I've had my eye on...then wore it for a few days and now reckon I'll keep it and sell everything else, instead...

I had a Fortis Square once, dont think I've ever seen another...

They're a good, solid, honest brand.

Mine should be home from Rich Askham today ...

Master
    Ooh I do like that Cosmonaut Chrono model!!! I'm not into understated elegant watches, so the Fortis is right up my street!

http://gevrilgroup.com/watchbrands/f...retrospective/

http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/wa...is_history.htm

Pilot Pro Chrono - 42mm bead-blasted SS case, Valjoux 7750 movement. Push down crown but still 200m WR (including chrono pushers)

Official Cosmonauts Chrono - 39/40mm Ti case, Lemania 5100 movement. Really wish I had kept this one.....

Fleiger Chrono - think this was 40mm but looked bigger. Val.7750 again

I do like that fleiger chrono

I had a small collection of Fortis watches and enjoyed wearing them. They do look good, especially the flieger and pilot type ranges over the years.

My only personal gripe was with their customer service (via Peter Peter) over in Germany. It was simply awful when they had the leaking screw down crown issues several years ago. I am sure it is much improved these days. It did not put me off buying a new Stratoliner Chronograph and I still like the brand.

The Aviatis F-43 is rather nice and my favourite in their current range.

From the nineties, when Ducati was sponsored by Fortis.

Always been a favourite of mine - love the carbon dial!

Craftsman
    I love the Cosmonaut Chrono, very very hard watch

Nice watches

Seeing this thread again this morning has inspired me to get my B42 Chrono out of the safe today.

May get round to taking some pictures later today...