closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This'll be fun at the post office tomorrow........

Master

This'll be fun at the post office tomorrow........

When the girl behind the counter asks the usual "what's in the (3kg) box?" and I reply "a watch"........Think I might save myself the quizzical looks and just tell her it's a clock for ease!! .

Dirty coffee cup is deliberately in the picture to give an idea of the size, it was the closest thing to hand.

What is it (nosey)

That's gonna cost a few quid to mail out then isn't it hoohoo !!

Just don't tell her its ticking.

Master
    Not a Longines legend diver by any chance, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Not a Longines legend diver by any chance, is it?
    That was my guess

Is there a battery in it ? If so then expect more fun ;)

Craftsman
    3Kg ? That must be the Breguet, the box looked fairly weighty!

Someone is going to be a very happy bunny opening that - fair play to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I've had that question - I told her it was "a wind up." ;)
    Tomorrow's package will be a "guitar part" so the question doesn't even arise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    3Kg ? That must be the Breguet, the box looked fairly weighty!

Someone is going to be a very happy bunny opening that - fair play to them.
    Bingo, yup it's the Breguet (so no battery thankfully Cirrus ) ! The watch is inside 5 boxes altogether and each one of them padded so it'll be like a Russian Doll for the buyer but I'm sure he'll find the effort of opening them all worth it!

Master
    You have no idea how much lusting and soul searching I did over that gorgeous watch.

No, I'm not the lucky boy who gets to open the boxes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    You have no idea how much lusting and soul searching I did over that gorgeous watch.
    I assure you, you wern't alone! She was a stunner and at a great price, I think this and the Zenith doublematic that Tim sold were my two most (realistic..) lusted after watches in SC this year!
    Lets hope they stay within the forum, and next time they come up on SC the watch kitty is slightly healthier!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Cell connected to a device, should be good to go - http://www.royalmail.com/help-and-su...stricted-goods

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've had that question - I told her it was "a wind up." ;)
    Tomorrow's package will be a "guitar part" so the question doesn't even arise.
    I get this question a lot when sending watches, and I just say no its doesn't have a battery - makes it pointless them asking when you can simply, whats the best word, LIE! muhahaha post office fools!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Cell connected to a device, should be good to go - http://www.royalmail.com/help-and-su...stricted-goods
    Not necessarily. ;-)

Ok if lithium battery (if package correctly labelled). But not ok if akali battery (which includes silver oxide as far as I know).

The rules are confusing, contradictory (in terms of different rules for different battery types), and complex.

Master
    A large box sent standard RMSD tends to go in the van and therefore get delivered with the "guaranteed before 9" parcels for no extra charge, at least in my neck of the woods...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Not necessarily. ;-)

Ok if lithium battery (if package correctly labelled). But not ok if akali battery (which includes silver oxide as far as I know).

The rules are confusing, contradictory (in terms of different rules for different battery types), and complex.
    Best say it's something else then, tell them it's a knife, no problems

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post

No, I'm not the lucky boy who gets to open the boxes.
    I had to do quite a bit of soul searching to sell it to be honest but I'd committed to another purchase and needed to fund the watch pot. I'm not really 100% sure I've sold the right watch but that's the fun of this hobby, there's always something new to chase. I'm not a wealthy man by any stretch of the imagination but have managed to own quite a few nice watches I've particularly wanted by trading or selling some I really like to fund them.....this was one of those cases

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Best say it's something else then, tell them it's a knife, no problems
    <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    Bingo, yup it's the Breguet (so no battery thankfully Cirrus ) ! The watch is inside 5 boxes altogether and each one of them padded so it'll be like a Russian Doll for the buyer but I'm sure he'll find the effort of opening them all worth it!
    What Breguet……………………What have I missed?

This is probably the first time I'd liked to have seen the opposite of an 'unboxing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    This is probably the first time I'd liked to have seen the opposite of an 'unboxing'.

If it sold to somebody on the Forum we're about to be treated to a very tedious "incoming" thread!

They now (routinely) screen parcels and there is a possibility it could be held or returned to the sender for improper declaration or shipping of prohibited goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Osian85 View Post
    I get this question a lot when sending watches, and I just say no its doesn't have a battery - makes it pointless them asking when you can simply, whats the best word, LIE! muhahaha post office fools!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    The buyer will be whipped into a frenzy by the time he gets to the goodies.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    Well, i said it was a mechanical clock at the post office to avoid the usual questions about the size and weight of the box for a watch only to be told it was too heavy to send RMSD as it was 3.16kg!! So, a minor disagreement ensued anyway with me finally resolving it by showing her the Royal Mail website on my phone stating you can send a parcel up to 20Kg RMSD and she managed to find the right button to process it!!Just hope the new owner likes it after all this!! :-)

Craftsman
    I know many will disagree, but seriously, I find that the boxing of watches has gone far over the top these days as far as size and weight goes. The same can be said of fountain pens. A couple of years ago, I bought a Conway-Steward "Churchill" pen. It came in an enormous wooden box packed in two outer cardboard boxes. The box was lined with a silk like fabric. In the box was a bottle of ink, a book about Winston Churchill, a big cigar in an aluminium tube - and oh, I almost forgot, the pen, which happened to be a not so great writer without some tweaking. That pen purchase reminded me why I like my Pelikan M800 pens so much. They come in small and light cardboard boxes, they are well engeneered, they always write well without tweaking, they look good and they last a lifetime.