16 10.19%
  • Breitling

116 73.89%
  • Both low end Tat

25 15.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tag Heuer vs Breitling

Tag Heuer vs Breitling

We were having a discussion in my office today, well I and a few others who are interested in watches were, the topic being which brand is more prestigious Tag Heuer or Breitling, my view is they sit roughly on the same rung of the ladder that is Luxury watches.

I wanted to throw the same question out to you guys
    Last edited by Vanguard; 21st January 2015 at 15:54.

Breitling by far I would have said.

TAG has an awful rep amongst watchies but possibly not to Joe Public.
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 21st January 2015 at 20:18.

Master
    Oh come off it, what a daft thread!

(PS Breitling is far, far more prestigious - by a country mile - ?obviously??!)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Oh come off it, what a daft thread!

(PS Breitling is far, far more prestigious - by a country mile - ?obviously??!)
    I prefer Breitling, am wearing an Aerospace right now, but many think TH are a better brand it seems

No competition, IMHO.

Master
    No comparison between the two, Breitling wins hands down Imo.

Blog Entries
    Both have few models in their line-up that I like.

Personally I don't think one is better than the other if you compare models that are equally priced.

TAG has a bigger share in the lower-end market I guess.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I own and have owned plenty of Tags but never a Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

TAG has an awful rep amongst watches but possibly not to Joe Public.
    Sheesh, watches are always bitching about something when they get together aren't they!

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Breitling by far I would have said.

TAG has an awful rep amongst watches but possibly not to Joe Public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Sheesh, watches are always bitching about something when they get together aren't they!
    Mitch
    It's poor Joe I feel sorry for, stuck in the middle between the arguing couple!

Craftsman
    I have four Tags (which makes me Joe Public I guess) and one Breitling. Whilst the Tags (Aquaracer and F1 ranges) are everyday "wear to the office" watches, the Breitling (a Superocean) always feels a bit blingy and more suited to an evening out.

As for which is more "prestigious", it very much depends on the range in my opinion - a Tag F1 isn't as prestigious as a Super Avenger, and a Calibre 17 is more prestigious than a Colt.

And of course, "prestigious" may very well not apply to either brand for some people.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I own and have owned plenty of Tags but never a Breitling.
    Same here..... I can think of a few Tags I'd like to own, but I can't think of 1 single breitling....

http://www.slideshare.net/Digital-Lu...orld-media-kit

Slide 3. Personally I would switch Bremont and TAG.

Journeyman
    I think breitlings are probably more prestigious but I prefer the look of the tags compared to breitlings. When I bought my tag I had a look in the window at the breitlings but didn't see one I fancied in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddsy View Post
    I think breitlings are probably more prestigious but I prefer the look of the tags compared to breitlings.
    I definitely get the impression that breitlings offer more prestige but I do think I see more Tag's I'd like to wear - It makes no difference to me though as I'm too tight to buy either right now!

Breitling.

Consider them both to be rather flash and tasteless, but not low end tat. So need 4th option on the poll

Craftsman
    Breitling by a long shot for me - I'd agree some appear rather flashy, and that in turn will put certain people off, me, I would love a Navitimer - certainly don't think it's tasteless!

For me there is nothing in the current Tag line that I would buy, even with vast discounts - I remember seeing the occasional Monza pop up on here that I thought was a lovely watch, however I understand they were discontinued long ago.

Craftsman
    I think it would be Breitling that would be considered more prestigious but I definitely prefer the look of tags. The only problem is they are just too expensive. I mean the Monaco cal5111.fc2699, has an rrp of just under £10,000 and the v4 titanium is a massive £50,000. Now I'm quite willing to believe there are plenty of folk who can afford these watches and buy them but who on earth thinks they are good value?

Banned
    There's a few Tag designs that I like, but it's Breitling wins this contest for me, the iconic navitimer is the standout model.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    the iconic navitimer is the standout model

Iconic in having the busiest most illegible dial ever, perhaps ! I don't like that one iota sorry...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I quite like both, but both have made some tat also.
    Think breitling as more prestigious, probably because they are a little more obscure in my eyes. Tags seem much more popular though. My first tag was a plastic F1 in the early 90's. Bought in HK airport for the princely sum of £38!

Master
    Blog Entries
    In the words of Archie - TAG Heuer is dogsh!t haha.

My old Brietling was incredibly well made and super accurate. The box and packaging good and had it not been so bling I'd still have it.

A few mates of mine have had TH and to be honest every single one of them has had issues with the watches stopping, running crazy fast/slow or in one case the crown fell off.

No idea on brand snobbery element but that's the only exposure I've had to either brand.

I think tags were popular 15 years ago but never breitling quality

Apprentice
    About three or four years ago, I got chatting to a lad in the gym. He was mid-20s, and said that he was in 'Sales' and had just been promoted.
    I, politely, congratulated him, and asked him how he planned to celebrate. It was music to mine ears when he said, "I'm gonna buy myself a real nice watch". [Isn't it strange that, at this point in a conversation, the WIS gets all excited: 1. an opportunity to talk about watches with somebody that *might* actually be interested, 2. it's a chance to join in the "hunt" whilst not actually putting our own money at risk? Anyway, I digress]. So I said, "That's a great idea, but which watch are you thinking about?" Aye, you've got it ... our newly-promoted friend in Sales answered, "I'm gonna get like a Tag or a Brietlung*" [*written as pronounced!]

In Joe Saleman's eyes, these brands are pretty much neck and neck.
    Kind of put me off both brands TBH, in much the same way that IWC fell from my grail list when every gold-toothed footballer, about 10 years ago, was seen sporting an IWC. (I'm a bit out of touch, but are they wearing Hublots now?)

-mykk-
    Last edited by mykk; 22nd January 2015 at 00:34.

Craftsman
    Breitling by a long shot for me. Never liked Tag and never fancied one. Some of the Breitlings are very blingy but there are a few models that appeal (including the Steelfish that I have).

Breitling and Omega would be a better comparison despite having very different designs. Tag tend to be held in higher regard by the average Joe purely because they are more well known. A lot of that goes back 20 years or so when they were really popular (I think).

Always felt a Tag was a young mans watch, nothing wrong with that bought myself one 20+ years ago when i was in my early 20's and still have it, never been tempted since. Breitling i've never owned or wanted to, a little to bling for my liking

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mykk View Post
    About three or four years ago, I got chatting to a lad in the gym. He was mid-20s, and said that he was in 'Sales' and had just been promoted.
    I, politely, congratulated him, and asked him how he planned to celebrate. It was music to mine ears when he said, "I'm gonna buy myself a real nice watch". [Isn't it strange that, at this point in a conversation, the WIS gets all excited: 1. an opportunity to talk about watches with somebody that *might* actually be interested, 2. it's a chance to join in the "hunt" whilst not actually putting our own money at risk? Anyway, I digress]. So I said, "That's a great idea, but which watch are you thinking about?" Aye, you've got it ... our newly-promoted friend in Sales answered, "I'm gonna get like a Tag or a Brietlung*" [*written as pronounced!]

In Joe Saleman's eyes, these brands are pretty much neck and neck.
    Kind of put me off both brands TBH, in much the same way that IWC fell from its perch (to be replaced by GS and Zenith, if anyone's interested) when every gold-toothed footballer, about 10 years ago, was seen sporting an IWC. (I'm a bit out of touch now, but are they wearing Hublots now?)

-mykk-
    If you don't like the products their producing, then thats a good reason not to buy, the idle ramblings of a 20-something sales gobshite who has no knowledge of the offerings is not reason to be put off a brand surely?
    I don't quite understand the reference to IWC / gs / zenith with the footballers. Whether its golfers with AP's, footballers with hublots or actors with IWC's, theres always going to be promotion and bluster associated with these high end luxuries. Buy what you like! Whether thats based on marketing, provenance or simply the way something looks, its your money!

Master
    Breitling I reckon, relatively easily.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    Always felt a Tag was a young mans watch, nothing wrong with that bought myself one 20+ years ago when i was in my early 20's and still have it, never been tempted since. Breitling i've never owned or wanted to, a little to bling for my liking
    My sentiments exactly.I used to love the S/EL range and then the link.Carrera 1887 was my last Tag Heuer.Not a fan of bling either although Breitling have produced some lovely watches they are not for me sadly.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    If you don't like the products their producing, then thats a good reason not to buy, the idle ramblings of a 20-something sales gobshite who has no knowledge of the offerings is not reason to be put off a brand surely?
    I don't quite understand the reference to IWC / gs / zenith with the footballers. Whether its golfers with AP's, footballers with hublots or actors with IWC's, theres always going to be promotion and bluster associated with these high end luxuries. Buy what you like! Whether thats based on marketing, provenance or simply the way something looks, its your money!
    I think the mantra, "Buy what you like" is spot on.
    And I do not like the brand *association* of Tag and Brietling (clear association of Tag Heuer/Brietling and Joe Salemen, so to speak), therefore I do not buy them.

But, as has been discussed on these fora hundreds of times, there is positive branding (think Seiko 6105-8110 and Martin Sheen, or Rolex Submariner and Sean Connery) and this pushes up prices and desirability, and there is also the reverse, negative branding ... and Tag H. are *the* worst for this, but I think that Brietling are not far behind.

Oh, I've just re-read by reference to GS and Zenith. Now edited to make less ambiguous :)

-mykk-

Well for me it is Tag Heuer hands-on.

Roger

Master
    TAG's crappiest watch is far worse than the worst that Breitling has to offer. I'd say TAG is solidly less prestigious (and will be even less so in the future, as they drop their high-end ambitions).

Banned
    Just tried the Tag web site but the page wouldn't load properly only got half a watch.

Come to think of it, that's probably what you get when you buy one.

Anybody fancy a Grand Tag.............Cilla ....................

I would opt for a Breitling over a Tag. But the prices these days seem excessive and think I would rather go to other manufacturers such as Omega. For example a Tag Chrono or an Omega Speedmaster, I would certainly have the latter.

The modern output of both are overpriced mainly ETA equipped stuff so I would say neither is particularly prestigious.

So I had to vote - both low end tat.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice
    Breitling for me

Both overpriced tatt.

I've owned one Breitling, an Aerospace which was the most accurate non radio watch I've ever seen at +4 seconds per year, and no Tag at all.
    I sold the Aerospace as the tags at 12, 3, 6 and nine just tore my cuffs to bits.

Without those vicious blades I'd still own it.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Journeyman
    Whether or not anyone likes the styling of any of the watches of either brand, currently I would say Breitling. Still independent, all COSC, better in-house movements, better quartz movements. Obviously more expensive but if we are going by prestige cost shouldn't matter?

I've always thought Tag are on the bottom rung of the Swiss luxury ladder with Breitling considerably above. It's like saying 'my mate reckons VW is a posher brand than BMW because the Golf R costs more than a 1 series BMW' - isn't it?!

The way i see it is that the best TAG is more prestigious than the best Breitling, for example some TAG house the El Primero and have a better made in house movement 1887 compared to the BO1, (albeit the TAG is based on a Seiko movement, but then i like Seiko :D)

However as a comparison across the entire range and image as a whole, Breitling is more prestigious with a better heritage.

I voted Breitling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The modern output of both are overpriced mainly ETA equipped stuff so I would say neither is particularly prestigious.

Ok, I'll go with that :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Ive had 3 tags and 2 breitlings breitlings better made by a long way my tag sel wasnt in the same league as my chronomat think the prestige of breitling is a cut above as well

Heuer for me..

(so no Tag in front of Heuer)

I am still searching for a Heuer Carrera Re-edition for a good price, really like the look and size (36mm) of it..

Master
    Both tat. But at least Tag have some non-ghastly designs every once in a while.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddsy View Post
    I think breitlings are probably more prestigious but I prefer the look of the tags compared to breitlings.
    +1.

Usually, the bezels turn me off on Breitlings. Otherwise they're great watches.

Got a tag monaco and a carerra, much prefer tag

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Haha I think that list could be longer.

Master
    As a generalisation, I don't rate either brand highly in their current form.

Breitling too blingy. Tag Heuer too associated with hitting targets as a car salesman.

However, there are some gems from the past.

For prestige, of the two, it's Breitling. I am however wearing a Tag Heuer Super Pro as I type and classify it as a favourite.