closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Automatic or Manual?

Master

Automatic or Manual?

So, its not bothered me too much in the past, I just accept if I want a mechanical watch it will most probably have an automatic movement.
    I have had a number of hand wind watches in the past but since getting another manual wind watch last week, I think I prefer or at least enjoy winding up the watch in the morning.
    So, what do you think? Do you prefer the ease of Auto or the hassle but quite enjoyable feel of Manual?
    Also, is there a watch you really want but won't buy because it is manual rather than Auto and vise versa.

Craftsman
    I've never had a manual wind but I'd like to and I think it would be something I'd enjoy.
    Stowa do a few I really like the look of.

I don't think I look at it that way, I like a given watch. As long as it keeps time, and appeals to me constructionally and aesthetically, I don't pay much attention to whether it's hand wound or auto. I wouldn't not buy something because it was one or the other. The mechanism is what it is

I think both have their place but I'd prefer to have an auto as a daily wearer personally, simply because of forget to wind the manual! I do like the process of winding a manual, having said that

Master
    Auto for me, having had a couple of nice hand winds they just weren't for me. A bit too antiquated for my tastes.

In 2014 I bought two three hand-wound watches, this first ones since 30-odd years. I like them, both all. The rest of the collection is automatic, safe for one quartz (a first, too - in 20+ years). What I wanted to say is that I don't think it's relevant if the watch is automatic, hand-wound or quartz - the question is if I like it and if it works for me.
    Last edited by Raffe; 18th January 2015 at 23:12. Reason: Forgot the Speedy. That makes three.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do enjoy hand winders, but have found that those with a screw-crown are a bit of a PITA.

A few years back I was looking for a manual wind with a date (window, not pointer) and they were pretty scarce. It was a shame.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gee-whizz View Post
    So, its not bothered me too much in the past, I just accept if I want a mechanical watch it will most probably have an automatic movement.
    I have had a number of hand wind watches in the past but since getting another manual wind watch last week, I think I prefer or at least enjoy winding up the watch in the morning.
    So, what do you think? Do you prefer the ease of Auto or the hassle but quite enjoyable feel of Manual?
    Also, is there a watch you really want but won't buy because it is manual rather than Auto and vise versa.
    Having wore a hand-wound watch for 5 years prior to my current automatic, I have no strong preference. Occasionally I'd forget to wind the watch and it would stop running which is something an automatic does avoid.

Banned
    Hi Nathan

Hope all is well with you mate.

I would prefer an automatic all day. However, certain manual winds would last for up to 44 hours. Like an old vintage King Seiko I had.

Automatics hold a premium over manual winds too.

However, like anything, all down to the individual and your taste.

PS - The bluesey has just been serviced by Rolex and I should pick it up this week. Changed the crystal to an AR coated one too. Can't wait.

Take care.

Roy

Most of my watches are manual wind, but I did not intend it to be this way. I just happened to like the watch and it turned out to be manual.

Master
    I like the convenience autos provide for watches with a screw-down crown, but handwound watches remind me of the watches of my childhood and early teens and have a delightful nostalgic appeal for me. I only have four though; a Speedy, a PRS 29A, a Luch one-hander and a cheap Indian piece that cost me Ł15 via SC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket-roy View Post
    Hi Nathan

Hope all is well with you mate.

I would prefer an automatic all day. However, certain manual winds would last for up to 44 hours. Like an old vintage King Seiko I had.

Automatics hold a premium over manual winds too.

However, like anything, all down to the individual and your taste.

PS - The bluesey has just been serviced by Rolex and I should pick it up this week. Changed the crystal to an AR coated one too. Can't wait.

Take care.

Roy

Hey Roy,
    I'm glad you still have the blue two tone Rolex, my very first Rolex purchase.
    A few pics of it when you get it back would be great if you have time.
    Hope all is good with you.

Nathan.

I would honestly trade in all my automatics for manual wind ones. I've been into watches for several years, slowly discovering what my tastes actually are, and I'm pretty sure manual wind watches are the ones for me. It's just that extra connection with the watch in the morning, taking it off the wrist, admiring it and winding it over a cup of tea. It's just a nice little ceremony that you don't really get with anything else.

I'm now looking at bumping up my spending bracket from three to four digits, and the two watches in that early Ł1,000s bracket are the (vintage) Rolex 6694 and of course the most famous manual winder out there at the moment - the Speedmaster Pro. I'm honestly not looking at any non-manuals at the moment.

It's a bit of a shame sometimes. I see a great watch get released, but it's inevitably going to be an auto. Not that I dislike autos, but I just realise they're not as exciting for me as manuals.

Journeyman
    I am too forgetful and lazy to get a manual wind!

Craftsman
    I have bought several watches because they were manual. I wouldn't have bought them if they were auto (not that I have anything against them) - just prefer manual.

I have both types, because I wear in rotation the automatics need winding so for me the question is academic, my automatics are manual.

If I get a choice I will take a manual unless the watch has a screw down crown. As mentioned in an earlier post unless you wear an auto everyday you'll still need to wind it up when you wear it.

As I don't generally wear anything for more than a day at a time, it doesn't bother me; but two thing I like, power reserves and display backs are both better with hand wound watches.

A look in the box shows only 2 manuals which is a shame I think.

No strong preference but I do prefer manual wind, I enjoy giving them a wind before putting on my wrist each time. I'm a forgetful as the worst of them, but never forget to won't my watch, it's just too obvious.

My past three purchases have been manual wind. Autos always have their place though.

Grand Master
    Can`t believe that hand-wound watches are now seen (by some) as more desirable than automatics! Some sort of misguided nostalgia thing. Automatics were always more expensive and were generally preferred, for the simple reason that they didn`t sdtop if you forgot to wind them. The real advantage is the benefit in consistent timekeeping, but most folks overlook that.

Vintage automatics can be a pain in the arse because the autowinding parts wear and the spring barrel is likely to be worn. Replacements are expensive (or not available), so a hand-wound vintage watch has benefits.

I`d never dismiss a watch because it's hand-wound, but it's hard for the manufacturers to justify them thesedays........with the exception of the iconic Speedmaster.

Paul

I don't (yet) have an automatic watch, but a few manual ones. Wouldn't ever not buy a watch due to the difference between manual or auto. I enjoy the process of winding before wearing, and it feels quite nice to "keep it alive". But that said the convenience of an auto for a daily wear would be good, especially if with a screw down crown as has been said.

My next watch may be an auto... or it may be even be quartz. But having recently learned more about spring drive and tuning forks, I would also like either of those too. Just to make my collection more varied and slightly less quartz-centric ofcourse.

Seriously going to regret gaining access to SC I fear.

Master
    I have a few manual wind watches, forgetting to wind is not a problem as next day I will be wearing a different watch.

Master
    All my mechanicals are old and hand crankers. I prefer them. I've had a couple of autos over the years, but always moved them on. For some reason I can feel the rotors flapping about and it irks me. I've come to terms with being weird. :D Now none of my mechanicals have dates, so that's one less thing to have to set and I rotate a rolling half of my watches on a near daily basis. The ones with dates/day are all battery driven. If I was only going to have one watch though, I'd reckon I'd go automatic, especially if it was a non vintage.

Craftsman
    I prefer auto on my daily wear watch, but manual wind on occasional watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    I have both types, because I wear in rotation the automatics need winding so for me the question is academic, my automatics are manual.
    This. Though Raffe's point above is the key one for me - if I like a watch I will buy it, movement and/or winding considerations are secondary. I'd certainly never write off a watch I liked simply because it was a hand-winder, or auto. Or even quartz (he says, while waiting impatiently for a courier to arrive bearing B-1).

Own both, but do prefer the manual wind

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    I prefer auto on my daily wear watch, but manual wind on occasional watches.
    I second that.

Auto...

However, given the fact I'm constantly handwinding my auto's through sporadic and inconsistent rotation then maybe a hand wind might not be a bad next incoming.

indeed, decision made, my next incoming will be a hand wind.

Andrew

I wear a quartz AT every day, and own two quartz beaters, so my next watch - the black dial version of the WUS '63 re-issue - was bought partly because it is manual wind. It will be worn quite sparingly, and winding will be half the fun.

Apprentice
    There is something special about a manual, I love my PAM111. The only thing that bothers me is when they are not being worn, and remembering to wind them all the time. You cannot simply put them in a winder like an auto.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    I second that.
    This. SuperOcean daily, PAM111 weekend, and specials.

Craftsman

Manual

All my Breitlings are automatic's but the feel of winding a manual beats everything!
    If you have ever wound a Pam372 you know what I mean.
    Jur

Like and have both, personally I prefer auto for everyday use. Winding is enjoyable, but it gets a little bit tiring to me after some time.

A watch I'm not considering because of that is the Omega Moonwatch, which I would prefer if it was auto. I know there are auto versions now, but the original will always be the manual winding version.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a manual winding I like, if its purpose is to be worn in special occasions only.

Craftsman
    I prefer manual!!!

Master
    Auto for me. I have a hand wound pam homage and I took it off after about a week and haven't worn it since. I kept forgetting to wind the bloody thing.

Automatic for every day, manual for occaisional? Its not a hard and fast rule, but its holding true at the moment for me.

All my watches are automatic and that is for a good reason………………I would forget to wind them!

I would not have a problem owning/wearing a manual wind, but it would have to come with a PR indicator.

I like to ones that have a automatic wind with the option of winding.

Roger

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    All my watches are automatic and that is for a good reason………………I would forget to wind them!

I would not have a problem owning/wearing a manual wind, but it would have to come with a PR indicator.
    Come on, it's not rocket science. Once the watch had stopped a couple of times you'd get into the habit........I've trained my Labrador to respond to a routine!

Paul