closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ADVICE NEEDED - scratching that next itch

Craftsman

ADVICE NEEDED - scratching that next itch

A few of you may remember a while ago I was asking around on the forum for suggestions of integrated steel bracelet watches in the 2k to 3k GBP range, having done a fair bit of research and handling of watches in the metal since then, it seems that I have developed an unshakeable attraction for the new basic model IWC aquatimer (the 3290, a 42mm in black)

However, as i'm sure many of you can sympathise with, the watch I fell in love with happens to be just a little out of my budget range - I'm in Dubai at the moment and the biggest discount i've managed to wrangle out of any AD here is 10% which translates to about ~3800 GBP for the watch on the bracelet (just out of reach)

Would appreciate any advice as to the budgetary problem (obvious and sensible advice such as "save a little more" will be respectfully ignored :P) as well as any general thoughts on my choice of watch?

Alternatively I've seen what seems to be a 'too good to be true' listing of a 3290 on 'that site' for 3k GBP, I've seen a fair few of Italian dealers on here selling brand-new watches at seemingly unbelievable prices (suspiciously only offering stock photos for the watches they're selling) - just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them and can offer any testimonials?

https://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/aqua...arch/index.htm

As ever, I put this to the collective wisdom of the forum

Sincerely,
    B

Master
    There are many more people on here far more experienced to answer this than I but here's my twopenneth. Can you not pay as much as you have now then fund the remainder ( it doesn't sound like it will be a huge amount) on finance from the Watch Shop. Many places I have visited will do 0 % on finance, that way you get your watch now. Seems Simples to me, or am I missing something.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    There are many more people on here far more experienced to answer this than I but here's my twopenneth. Can you not pay as much as you have now then fund the remainder ( it doesn't sound like it will be a huge amount) on finance from the Watch Shop. Many places I have visited will do 0 % on finance, that way you get your watch now. Seems Simples to me, or am I missing something.
    Good advice, although I should specify that the problem is more one of principle (that my budget would not exceed 3k GBP) rather than not physically having the funds :P

Any other input?

Journeyman
    Watchfinder has that watch in stock as a used item. About a year old. Suspect 3k would buy it with a little bit of janauary bartering.

Nice choice of watch btw.

scratching that next itch

Maybe you can get some cream for it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlwhite67 View Post
    Watchfinder has that watch in stock as a used item. About a year old. Suspect 3k would buy it with a little bit of janauary bartering.

Nice choice of watch btw.
    Great shout, it's on the rubber rather than the bracelet but if I can get the price down a little I might just go for it (although the thought of then having to shell out another 1000 GBP for the bracelet separate gives me the shivers :P)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks PJ, would be curious to see if anyone's succumbed to the allure of these fantastic prices before :D

B

Master
    I emailed them yesterday in relation to a different watch, as yet they've not responded though I belive they may not work on a Monday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    I emailed them yesterday in relation to a different watch, as yet they've not responded though I belive they may not work on a Monday.
    Great, I might follow up with you separately to see how that pans out!

B

Journeyman
    Id go for the watchfinder aquatimer as is. You may get it for sub 3k. Put the £1000 towards the next itch.

Fwiw Ive just had a watch from watchfinder. Couldnt be happier with the transaction.
    Last edited by pearlwhite67; 20th January 2015 at 16:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    Great, I might follow up with you separately to see how that pans out!

B
    No problem.

Have you seen the Eterna Royal Kontiki GMT? It has a second time zone function which could be useful for you if you work abroad a lot and is available with integrated steel or rubber bracelet. I don't know what kind of price you'd find it for at an AD (or duty free shop) but it is available brand new on Chrono 24 from a Swiss seller for around £2400 with metal or just over 2k on rubber.

Photo's taken from the interweb

I would always buy on the bracelet if you can (unless you are certain you will only wear on the rubber strap) even if it means crossing your psychological threshold as not only does the watch purchase seem to work out cheaper (ie the bracelet is discounted) but it is much less painful to buy a rubber strap later and you can often get aftermarket rubber versions if just fancy trying a different look although given the value of the watch I think I would keep on OEM strap for safety's sake !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Have you seen the Eterna Royal Kontiki GMT? It has a second time zone function which could be useful for you if you work abroad a lot and is available with integrated steel or rubber bracelet. I don't know what kind of price you'd find it for at an AD (or duty free shop) but it is available brand new on Chrono 24 from a Swiss seller for around £2400 with metal or just over 2k on rubber.

Photo's taken from the interweb

Great shout - read the review on aBlogtowatch when it came out and was interested

I have been yearning for an IWC for the collection for aaaages though, and I still can't seem to shake how perfectly the aquatimer fit on my wrist - love at first wear :P

May do a little more research around Eterna, they're quite an interesting brand seemingly on the verge of a comeback

B