closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any experience of buying a watch from Switzerland and UK Customs / Tax

Craftsman

Any experience of buying a watch from Switzerland and UK Customs / Tax

Having missed out big time on buying a watch from a seller in Switzerland by delaying my buy and then deciding to buy it the night before the day the CHF went bang and prices exploded. I have managed to agree a deal since the increase the price is still about £150 more but we have agreed to split the difference and the price before the hike was about right, the seller who lives in Switzerland is not making a profit out of the hike. So I've agreed to do the deal.

He asked an interesting question about Vat / Custom charges when the watch is sent to the UK as he wants me to check out before buying the watch that I'm not going to be hit with other expenses (nice guy as he knows this hike in the CHF is aready pushing my budget and good when you can get a positive relationship going between seller and buyer).

To be honest this question has also foxed me. I assumed because Switzerland has trade and I think employment agreements with the EU that this wouldn't be an issue. Then again they pegged the CHF to the euro until last week so what do I know!

Anybody have any advice or experience of directly buying from private seller Switzerland to the UK and any additional cost? I've had a look at the UK Custom pages and Royal Mail but can't find anything that's sensible or gives an easily accessible answer.

Fingers crossed it will not cost any more and any help much appreciated. Cheers. Sean
    Last edited by Naesuk; 18th January 2015 at 16:07.

Hi Sean,

Importing a watch from Switzerland into the EU will attract VAT at 20% and duty (nominally a few £ or so). If sent by post, Royal Mail will collect the vat from you upon delivery. I've not used couriers before, but would expect a similar scenario.
    Is the watch not available from another EU seller?

Hope this helps... DH

Master
    You will get hit for the VAT. Could thee seller do a drive to France, Germany or Italy and post from there ? Depending on where they are it may not be a long drive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackett.dp View Post
    and duty (nominally a few £ or so)
    Just to clarify, the Customs Duty on a watch will be no more than the UK£ equivalent of €0.80. In fact it won't even be collected at all on a single watch shipment.

As you say, it will just be the VAT @20% and the courier's handling fee to pay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    You will get hit for the VAT. Could thee seller do a drive to France, Germany or Italy and post from there ? Depending on where they are it may not be a long drive.
    I bought a watch from a Swiss TZ-UK member recently who was able to post the watch from France for me.

I checked this out when I saw that watch and as said above you will get hit for vat.

Craftsman
    That's fantastic and a great response. Bad news for me then on top of CHF increase. The watch can not be easily found in other EU environments. I know that Germany is about an hour away the seller is in Zurich and I did half heartedly suggest posting from Germany but not had a response since this morning. It's a private seller and although I think he is a good person and just as fed up as me with the increase in the £ price I'm not sure if things could get complicated if sent from a EU country and things went wrong as its not from his home address. I much appreciate your help on this. Cheers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I checked this out when I saw that watch and as said above you will get hit for vat.
    Really, that's intersting what watch was it that you were looking at? I missed out on one that was similar but better a few weeks ago on eBay. Cheers

Apprentice

Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Hackett.dp View Post
    Hi Sean,

Importing a watch from Switzerland into the EU will attract VAT at 20% and duty (nominally a few £ or so). If sent by post, Royal Mail will collect the vat from you upon delivery. I've not used couriers before, but would expect a similar scenario.
    Is the watch not available from another EU seller?

Hope this helps... DH
    I am not sure there is VAT. to be paid from Switzerland. I have imported many things from Switzerland worth overall 100 UK pounds and never once paid duty

Master
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman View Post
    I am not sure there is VAT. to be paid from Switzerland. I have imported many things from Switzerland worth overall 100 UK pounds and never once paid duty
    Definitely is VAT.

I can definitely confirm as I've just had to pay £188.00 import charges from Lichtenstein. That was on a £846.00 Sinn which was still cheaper than buying direct from Sinn of any other dealer in Europe I found.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I can definitely confirm as I've just had to pay £188.00 import charges from Lichtenstein. That was on a £846.00 Sinn which was still cheaper than buying direct from Sinn of any other dealer in Europe I found.

I thought Lichtenstein sellers advertised their watches as VAT free to EU countries? Atleast they used to on chrono24... Glad I didn't buy one now!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    I thought Lichtenstein sellers advertised their watches as VAT free to EU countries? Atleast they used to on chrono24... Glad I didn't buy one now!

Are we EU....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Are we EU....

No :)

Bought one in Geneva once and don't remember paying anything on the way back into Blighty.

I actually bought it from a dealer on Chrono24 and there was absolutely nothing mentioned anywhere about Import charges.

When FedEx hit me with the bill I googled shed loads but all I could find is although Switzerland and Lichtenstein have an agreement with the EU they aren't actually part of the EU free trade agreement. So import taxes are payable. I suppose some might jump over the border to post from Germany so might of said vat free but not from Lichtenstein itself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

Bought one in Geneva once and don't remember paying anything on the way back into Blighty.
    The correct answer is ‘Yes’ at least for import VAT purposes until 2300 hours 31/12/20.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I thought Lichtenstein sellers advertised their watches as VAT free to EU countries? At least they used to on chrono24... Glad I didn't buy one now!

Lichtenstein sellers do sell VAT-free, that is free of the VAT applied in Lichtehstein not the VAT you pay when the item arrives in the UK (or other EU country for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

In that case you owe HMRC some dosh!

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Lichtenstein sellers do sell VAT-free, that is free of the VAT applied in Lichtehstein not the VAT you pay when the item arrives in the UK (or other EU country for that matter).
    Yes. VAT free as export (probably that is why it is cheaper), you pay VAT on import.

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I enquired about a Sinn from a dealer in Lichtehstein, their VAT is only 7% but VAT removed for export and UK VAT is applied on arrival in the UK. I said ‘any chance you could post it from Austria?’ (it’s only 5 minutes down the road) The response was ‘this is impossible!’ - which I found hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    I enquired about a Sinn from a dealer in Lichtehstein, their VAT is only 7% but VAT removed for export and UK VAT is applied on arrival in the UK. I said ‘any chance you could post it from Austria?’ (it’s only 5 minutes down the road) The response was ‘this is impossible!’ - which I found hilarious.
    Impossible for them to legally do, yes.

Probably found your request hilarious.