closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PAM 127

Master

PAM 127

So has anyone got one / had one and what are they like to wear ? Comfy ?

I had one and then a 217 (the Destro version) several years ago.

It is a big watch at 47mm with a base Unitas movement so it has always been overpriced IMHO but supply and demand has affected used prices. It wears well on the bigger wrist. I have seen some guys wearing a 127 with small wrists and it does look a little silly.

Would I buy another? Definitely not as I was not impressed with the look of the watch, the quality of the movement at the price point nor the overall build quality.

I've never owned one and likely won't given the crazy prices sellers seem to ask. I'd probably opt for a 372 with in house movement for a lot less money.
    Last edited by logan2z; 17th January 2015 at 16:50.

Master
    IF you're thinking of buying a 127, then like others have said, try a 372 first. This will give you a good idea as to its wearability being a large watch, and would be relatively easy to move on if you wanted to trade up. In reality though, once you've owned the 372, I doubt you would want to splash all that extra cash for not a lot more watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The fiddy is still much revered and from an original retail price of circa £4K, it seems to have stabilised now at circa £12K. Many brand followers still consider it a definitive model.

The 372 though is a better watch by a very large margin (imo) but was way overproduced by Panerai thus destroying is value and can be picked up for a song. £12K for a fiddy or £5K for a 372 is a complete no-brainer to many, but if you have the cash and must have the fiddy then it will be costly in comparison for a technically inferior watch.

Master
    I have seen a lot of posts preferring the 372. Trouble is I cannot get on with the 'dead' dial. Need the sub seconds to show a bit of life. So I also looked at the 422 etc, but I do not like the size of the 'panerai luminor' written on the dial, fake patina etc, how thick they are (I know the 127 is but a lot of it is the super dome). So I keep coming back to the 127.
    I know it is seen as being expensive for the movement, but I think you are paying more for the iconic design, the super dome etc.
    Anyway, good to see everyone's views and experience asit helps my thinking.
    On price I am potentially looking well under £12k which I think is the impact of the new models reducing prices.

372 if you want the look and a better movement- My 111 has a worked over unitas and it's great, but in a 10k watch??? give me an IWC or a vacheron any day!
    I do love my Panerais, but , many, many years ago I bought 6 new old stock tissot pocket watches for £35 each at sandown antiques market each with a brand new unitas movement, and when I saw the Panerai Golden gate "scandal" (a fancy caseback but with a completely bog standard unitas inside, made for the california paneristi guys, I simply didn't know whether to laugh or cry...)!
    rarity will probably retain value for the believers out there, I suppose.
    Last edited by GOAT; 17th January 2015 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    372 if you want the look and a better movement- My 111 has a worked over unitas and it's great, but in a 10k watch??? give me an IWC or a vacheron any day!
    I do love my Panerais, but , many, many years ago I bought 6 new old stock tissot pocket watches for £35 each at sandown antiques market each with a brand new unitas movement, and when I saw the Panerai Golden gate "scandal" (a fancy caseback but with a completely bog standard unitas inside, made for the california paneristi guys, I simply didn't know whether to laugh or cry...)!
    rarity will probably retain value for the believers out there, I suppose.
    Ah....the Golden Gate scandal. It was an utter disgrace. (I still have that movement photo on my photobucket page).

I agree with what has been said. You can buy a better modern Panerai for your money.

The sky is the limit with £12k to spend.

I had one many years ago, and absolutely loved the look of it - just not so much on my tiny wrist. Still think its among the best models from the brand. Go for it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think you'll find the Golden Gate Bridge scandal was in fact the Brooklyn Bridge scandal not that either would or should be acceptable of course.

As to the font size on the 372, i think that is more historically accurate than the smaller 127 font size. Personally i like the 127's overall looks aside from the '1950' embellishment which is awkward and unnecessary, imo again. Its a reasonably safe investment purchase tbf but circa £12k, at least here in the UK its simply too much for what your £'s buy you.

372 now there is my grail,what is the price second hand?

Master
    Blog Entries
    372 now there is my grail,what is the price second hand?

Google Is your friend .

Seen them pre-owned as low as £4200 which is great as a buyer.

Love the 127, it's was a Grail for me ever since I first saw one back in 2004, eventually I managed to source a cracking complete set. The 372 is an amazing piece as well. I enjoy them both and wear both a lot although the the 372 does get more time on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I think you'll find the Golden Gate Bridge scandal was in fact the Brooklyn Bridge scandal not that either would or should be acceptable of course.

As to the font size on the 372, i think that is more historically accurate than the smaller 127 font size. Personally i like the 127's overall looks aside from the '1950' embellishment which is awkward and unnecessary, imo again. Its a reasonably safe investment purchase tbf but circa £12k, at least here in the UK its simply too much for what your £'s buy you.
    Obviously a bridge too far as far as Panerai were concerned. Times have changed, thankfully.

The 127s were made in 2002, it was the first 1950s case and the closest most people could get to the vintage models. It didn't really sell at first and many sat in the dealers unwanted. At the time panerai were at 44/45 mm and that was considered big.

From memory it took until 2009 until there were other 47mm luminors apart from the 217 and the 203/267 which were really limited and sold only to what were considered vips

as a result if you wanted a 47mm luminor ( and as watch sizes grew people wanted to, more and more) the prices rose to around the £12k you see now

the problem is it is neither rare nor an expensive watch, it's a cheap movement in an expensive watch

There will be a new version eventually with the p3000 movement in it which will hit used prices

if you want a 47mm luminor, get a 368, they are stupidly cheap in comparison, will cost you around 8k, has a much better 8 day movement in it ( it's my favourite panerai movement) has the sub dial you like and no patina lume. It's a destro which actually if you wear your watch on your left wrist is easier to wear

I've looked at the 127, it's a good watch but its not 12k, even with it's history

The 372 is better, i really didn't like it at first but started wearing and now love it, so much so I've put most of my collection away and wear it 90% of the time. It's cheap now because they have over produced and it looks like production is finally coming to an end. Just be aware you could almost get a 372 (or 422 id you want crystal and a sundial) and a 368 for the price of a 127- sorry that's a no brainer

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post

Circa £8k between those two watches...... For not a lot of difference eh?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's nowt so queer as folk as the saying goes. I'm sure most 127 owners prefer their watch to a 372, it being an 'original' modern piece. Irrespective of values, for me the 372 is the superior watch in every respect and happily very much more affordable too.

My 127 will be up for sale soon as I am moving in April and will need some money. I've loved owning it but the money will be required. It won't be circa £12k it'll be nearer £10k, the original purchase price from WofS in Manchester in 2003 was £5250, sadly it wasn't me that purchased it then :-(
    Last edited by paneristi372; 18th January 2015 at 17:54.

Craftsman

The 127 definately beats every other Pam. The 372 is (very) nice but wearing a 127 is the ultimate.
    It is by far the most expensive and talked-about watch I ever had and unfortunately couldn't resist the offer I got to sell it.
    Prices are sky-high these days and the franken-built watches are very well built so do your research and be VERY carefull when you buy one.
    Fact is that it will still increase in it's value.
    I say "go for it".
    Jur

Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    The 127 definately beats every other Pam. The 372 is (very) nice but wearing a 127 is the ultimate.
    It is by far the most expensive and talked-about watch I ever had and unfortunately couldn't resist the offer I got to sell it.
    Prices are sky-high these days and the franken-built watches are very well built so do your research and be VERY carefull when you buy one.
    Fact is that it will still increase in it's value.
    I say "go for it".
    Jur
    Sorry, but having owned many Panerai's since 2003 (including a 127) I will have to disagree with you I'm afraid. The watch does have a basic movement and it really is overpriced for what it is. Most modern Panerai's with in-house movement really do blow it away, and there are several Panerai's on my list that are my ultimate Panerai when compared to a 127. If you were happy with your 127 then that would be important to you.

The fake 127's are pretty scary so be careful.
    Last edited by j111dja; 20th January 2015 at 14:02.

Craftsman

Right

You are absolutely right. The 372 movement winds and runs better. But the 127 had that "feel".... Well, it did for me (-:
    Jur

FWIW, i love my 422

Its a big watch though, i have 7.9" wrists (thanks to toshi and GGB for making me find that out)

It looks bigger in the pic than it does in real life, but it's still pretty big, it doesn't actually overhang my wrist, in person there's a bit of strap showing. nothing worse than a strap with gaps
    Last edited by tekbow; 23rd January 2015 at 17:46.

Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    nothing worse than a strap with gaps
    Thats the trouble with putting a 26mm strap on a 47mm Radiomir with wire lugs then back on a Luminor :-(