closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sending watches to EU/International with insurance

Hybrid View

Sending watches to EU/International with insurance

Apologies if this has been covered a million times but I can't find anything definitive.

I sent my Stowa Ikarus out to Germany yesterday by my usual method of Parcel Force Global Priority tracked, signed-for and insured to the full value of the watch, except… it isn't insured.

For the first time ever, after sending countless watches via this method from the same Post Office to all over the globe, and paying the enhanced fee to cover the compensation for loss, the guy behind the counter asked me if I knew that watches weren't covered under the compensation rules

WTF? I find out like this?

So my question is, what method/company/insurance can I now use to compensate me in case of postal mishaps?

Master
    The only courier company in the UK who will insure watches are DHL. Although they are pricey.

The only other alternative is to use Royal Mail and then insure the parcel through a 3rd Party Parcel Insurance such as Parcel Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    The only courier company in the UK who will insure watches are DHL. Although they are pricey.

The only other alternative is to use Royal Mail and then insure the parcel through a 3rd Party Parcel Insurance such as Parcel Pro.
    Cheers. I've heard of Parcel Pro but looking at the website it seems to be for business owners only. I'm only a lowly WIS who buys and sells some watches sometimes

Master
    I presume RMSD still covers watches? (upto, but not above £2.5k etc etc)

Master
    Royal Mail only covers upto £250 when posting internationally.

ParcelPro still accept single (non business customers), just explain this when initially enquiring and completing the application forms

Craftsman
    Sending abroad I use mailboxesetc
    mbe.co.uk
    They photograph and wrap / box the watch and insure under their own policy that WILL pay out. I bet trying to claim many £ from some parcel companies is difficult.
    Also you choose the courier but UPS is best bet - definately not parcelfarce.
    Down side is the cost but if you want to have meaningful insurance you have to pay for it.

Posting from Denmark to the UK I found that only DHL would fully insure my watch. Buying from the UK I've received watches insured by ParcelPro but I don't recall who the carrier where.
    Just this week I responded to an ad but didn't the watch because of the hassles of international shipping. Can't blame the seller, it is a hassle to insure international shipment. It's just bad luck for me living in a country where there's not much of a watch scene.