closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1091

Thread: Intro to Fountain Pens

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    A family pic :) Well part of them, there are as many again in the draw!

The yellow VP is stunning. I have one each of matte black, black, green, slate grey and red, if memory serves. Two with Richard Binder stub nibs. Is that a pencil case on the right? Looks interesting.

Discount? No. I was happy enough with the reduction from RRP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    The yellow VP is stunning. I have one each of matte black, black, green, slate grey and red, if memory serves. Two with Richard Binder stub nibs. Is that a pencil case on the right? Looks interesting.

Discount? No. I was happy enough with the reduction from RRP.
    Recently they had been doing a 10% discount must have finished :(

Pencil case is a Kokuyo that transforms into a pen pot when open https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/KK28599...er-pencil-case

Have justed spotted Iroshizuku is 20% off https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/special...shizuku-20-off

Master
    Always think the Platinum Izumo is a good value for an urushi pen
    This one perhaps?

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PT44397/platinum-izumo-gloss-tagayasan-fountain-pen

My Lamy 2000 with an OM nib arrived from www.cultpens.com and sadly had to go back. The nib skipped horribly and the cap, instead of going on smoothly, went on with more force than necessary and a grinding noise/feel. This is very unlike Lamy, who I have never had a problem with the numerous pens I have bought from their wide range. The previous Lamy 2000 OM nibbed pen, which went missing was one of my best writers for a long time. I know Cult Pens will stand up to their reputation and replace the pen without a fuss. I have asked them to check the fit and finish, and writing ability of the replacement.

Thanks Lubee for the information on the Kukuoyo. Something at the back of my mind recognised the name as soon as I read it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    some interesting products on the cult pens site along with sales items.

I've bought some pencil caps along with some new pencils,sharpeners and a neat tapered eraser.

Ink wise I purchased some Diamine Gibson Les Paul Guitar-Honey burst.

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/DM64474...nk-bottle-30ml

and some of this in Deep dark blue

Cult Pens Deep Dark Ink Cartridges for Fountain Pens by Diamine

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/CU29304...ens-by-diamine

Master
    Blog Entries
    i sent it back.
    Last edited by bwest76; 28th December 2019 at 18:52.

I seem to be digging up an old thread here! Until very recently I'd only used a Waterman Carene, but thought I'd look into a Montblanc or something decent. I ended up buying a pair of sterling silver Parker 75s on eBay, just before thinking to ask my mother if she had any pens inherited from her partner. The answer was yes, and she turned up a week later with a Parker Duofold Centennial and two 51s. I cleaned out all of them, sorted a new piston-filler for one of the 75s and am happily writing away, mostly with the 75s. The Centennial has a 'B' nib, which is a bit broad for me, but I'll use it when I'm not just jotting notes and ideas, which I use the others for. She called round yesterday with an older Duofold Maxima she'd found somewhere.

I have some questions and wondered if any of you could help please:

1. Do you have any good tips for finding a decent pen pot to store them on my desk, and a nice leather travel case for a couple of pens?

2. What's the best way to give the plastic cases of the 51s and Maxima a good buffing to get the patina off, and the metal lids shiny?

3. The Maxima has a leak from what I assume is the sac, is it possible to buy a piston-filler for that pen and if it is, how do I remove the old one? I'm tempted to send it in for a proper service, if so who's the best person to send it to please? It's a particularly Nice pen and I can see myself using it mostly with the two 75s, both of which write very smoothly.

Any help would be gratefully received.

"A man of little significance"

I use 3 NockCo Brasstown pen rolls for my pens.

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/NC52553...ase-for-6-pens

I also have a NockCo Sinclair case when I want to carry 3 pens and a small notebook.

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/NC52557...-notebook-case

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

3. The Maxima has a leak from what I assume is the sac, is it possible to buy a piston-filler for that pen and if it is, how do I remove the old one? I'm tempted to send it in for a proper service, if so who's the best person to send it to please? It's a particularly Nice pen and I can see myself using it mostly with the two 75s, both of which write very smoothly.

Any help would be gratefully received.
    To replace the sac:

Get the pen apart carefully using a padded pair of grips and measure the old sac. You will need the diameter of the sac required to order and then simply cut to length.

Clean off the old remnants of the sac and fix the replacement using shellac. Same to fix the two parts back together.

I got my parts from a dealer in Canada years ago but I'm sure there are suppliers nearer to home.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thank you both. Any thoughts on having the Maxima serviced and by whom?

Master
    Do you want to get the patina off? I have no idea with regards to pens but normally it’s considered a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Do you want to get the patina off? I have no idea with regards to pens but normally it’s considered a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He really does. Patina is only really in certain areas (classic cars, certain types of watch) - these will be much more pleasant given a light clean.

Foxy: autosol (by hand of course!) will work well and gently for the metal.

Master
    Thank you both. Any thoughts on having the Maxima serviced and by whom?
    I believe the Maxima is a aerometric filling system (your others are cartridge converters, piston fillers are totally different filling system that is integral to the pen and cant be removed). So you should just be able to remove the filler replace it with another. It might be stuck on with old ink and require a soak to loosen it up.

If you dont fancy doing it yourself there a few repairers over on Fountain Pen UK on Facebook (if you arent on FB I can get their details). Or look up Stef Jackson at Gramdmia pens on Youtube i think he does repairs he is also over on FPUK.

Nice collection of pens...addictive isnt it 😄

Master
    ...if the Parker is a tad to wide you could always get the nib reground by John Sorowka for a fraction of the cost of a replacement nib 😀

Master
    https://www.vintagefountainpens.co.u...torations.html

These guys will service your Maxima for £25ish....not bad

https://www.vintagefountainpens.co.u...torations.html

These guys will service your Maxima for £25ish....not bad
    That seems very reasonable.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I believe the Maxima is a aerometric filling system (your others are cartridge converters, piston fillers are totally different filling system that is integral to the pen and cant be removed). So you should just be able to remove the filler replace it with another. It might be stuck on with old ink and require a soak to loosen it up.

If you dont fancy doing it yourself there a few repairers over on Fountain Pen UK on Facebook (if you arent on FB I can get their details). Or look up Stef Jackson at Gramdmia pens on Youtube i think he does repairs he is also over on FPUK.

Nice collection of pens...addictive isnt it 
    Thank you for all of this, and the link to the chap who can service the pen for £50. I think I'll be sending it there.

And yes, I set out to find just one really nice old pen (other than my Waterman, which is a bit new), immediately bought two identical vintage pens, then was given two more identical ones and a newish one and finally the Maxima, which I think will be the pen I'll use alongside the two 75s. Providing I don't go crazy and buy more...

The Duofold is a lovely looking pen. I promised myself one years ago, but have never got around to buying one.

Don't be drawn in by Mont Blanc, it is a plastic pen, described as precious resin, with plenty of marketing budget in the mark-up. Look instead at Sailor on Cult Pens. Truly superb writers. Here is a link to the 1911 range: https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/sailor/sailor-1911

The Duofold is a lovely looking pen. I promised myself one years ago, but have never got around to buying one.

Don't be drawn in by Mont Blanc, it is a plastic pen, described as precious resin, with plenty of marketing budget in the mark-up. Look instead at Sailor on Cult Pens. Truly superb writers. Here is a link to the 1911 range: https://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/sailor/sailor-1911
    I think Montblanc can sometimes get a hard time. Yes, a base 146 or 149 is resin (plastic), but they are solid dependable pens and tend to be excellent writers out of the box.

I don’t think it’s too big a leap to compare them to Rolex in many respects.

Personally, I have recently sold two - quite wonderful - MB fountain pens to concentrate on more esoteric fare. But they’re still an excellent brand, and little else out there will offer the same recognition or retention. One/both of those criteria might be important to some pen buyers, and I couldn’t fault them for it....

Master

Yep MB is a good dose of marketing hype and I can say that as I work in marketing 😮 Would I buy a new one, most certainly not but some good secondhand ones can be had from well known dealers such as Izods.ink and Stephen Dylan on ebay. The 149 is an iconic pen and quite big, mine writes beautifully (ditto my 146, 145, Boheme and a couple of LE - all bought used) but so do my Sailors. Just remember that Japanese nibs run skinny so always so a nib size up when comparing with a western sized nib.

Any recommendations for the heavy handed writer? I press quite hard when I write. To date I’ve been okay with relatively cheap Shaefer Targa, Parker 51 and 61 with hooded nibs. Something stiff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I think Montblanc can sometimes get a hard time. Yes, a base 146 or 149 is resin (plastic), but they are solid dependable pens and tend to be excellent writers out of the box.

Personally, I have recently sold two - quite wonderful - MB fountain pens to concentrate on more esoteric fare. But they’re still an excellent brand, and little else out there will offer the same recognition or retention. One/both of those criteria might be important to some pen buyers, and I couldn’t fault them for it....
    I imagine that MB would like to be compared with Rolex, they certainly prioritise marketing. In the last The Pen Shop that I visited, Mont Blanc had its own small desk at which one of the staff could come over from the main display to serve customers. Never in my visits to this shop in one of the Glasgow Arcades has anyone been buying a Mont Blanc.

Recognition? Getting noticed? Seen to be part of a group of connoisseurs? Being thought of as having made it, with a plastic pen? I have to admit that I like some of the Writers Series. The Oscar Wild or the Cervantes would make an acceptable gift, but I wouldn't buy one. My money would go to Nakaya, rather than a High Street pen. If the worst comes to the worst, a blob of typex might allow for a Sailor 1911 to pass for an MB!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Any recommendations for the heavy handed writer? I press quite hard when I write. To date I’ve been okay with relatively cheap Shaefer Targa, Parker 51 and 61 with hooded nibs. Something stiff.

A Waterman Edson if you have pleny of money. No longer made, bt regularly on eBay. You could drive nails in with the point of that. Have a look at Pelikan for lower prices, with pens in different sizes. Have a look at the Pilot Capless, also know as the Vanishing point. The nib retracts on these. Rotring made very robust fountain pens. Look for the 800 NOS or eBay. Lamy 200 is made of the material that bulletproof plates are made of.
    Last edited by Templogin; 10th February 2020 at 19:24. Reason: Addition and Spillong

Intro to Fountain Pens

A Wareman Edson if you have pleny of money. No longer made, bt regularly on eBay. You could drive nails in with the point of that. Have a look at Pelikan for lower prices, with pens in different sizes. Have a look at the Pilot Capless, also know as the Vanishing point. The nib retracts on these. Rotring made very robust fountain pens. Look for the 800 NOS or eBay. Lamy 200 is made of the material that bulletproof plates are made of.
    Many thanks.

The Waterson Edson looks right although I think I would want to try one before taking a punt on EBay at those prices.

800, is that a Pelikan? If yes, are the nibs stiff?

The 800 is the Rotring. The nib on the Edson is like a nail. Pelikan do make an 800. I have the 805 and it is a perfect size for me. The nib is just normal as far as hardness is concerned.

PSA: CultPens are doing 10% off for Valentine's Day if you spend £30 (which is easy to do on a decent pen). The code is HEART10.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

You mean over hyped and over priced?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Does anyone have experience with a Caran D'Ache Leman fountain pen?

I've seen multiple reviews on YouTube and plan on trying one somewhere in central London this week but would be nice to see what people here think.

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post

I've seen multiple reviews on YouTube and plan on trying one somewhere in central London this week but would be nice to see what people here think.
    That's a very fine looking pen. No experience, I hadn't even heard of one before now but I now wish I hadn't!

No, but I am impressed with the range of nibs available, from EF to BB and obliques too.

Cult Pens have the Grand Blue at £620. There is also the discount code that RobT mentioned earlier. Cult Pens only have fine to double broad though.

Craftsman
    That's a very fine looking pen. No experience, I hadn't even heard of one before now but I now wish I hadn't!
    Haha, sorry!

No, but I am impressed with the range of nibs available, from EF to BB and obliques too.

Cult Pens have the Grand Blue at £620. There is also the discount code that RobT mentioned earlier. Cult Pens only have fine to double broad though.
    Thanks, but unfortunately they don't have the colour version I'm interested in (black with gold trim).

Cheapest place I've seen them is Andy's Pens.

Master

Selfridges?

Craftsman
    Yep, hopefully I'll be going there one day this week.

Craftsman
    Just thought I'd post a little update.

I eventually made it to Selfridges and they did indeed have the Leman fountain pen to test, but only in Medium. It wrote beautifully, really smooth nib and I didn't find it slippery like some reviews had suggested. However, I did find the Medium a little too broad. They didn't have the matte black and gold version but they did have the silver version, which I quickly realised would be a magnet for fingerprints! As if that wasn't obvious!

So, I began searching for other versions and stumbled across Pure Pens. They had the Grand Blue available for £400 so I enquired if it was in stock and if not, how long it would take to order. They advised it wasn't in stock but they could source directly from their supplier so I placed an order for a Fine nib. They kept me informed throughout the process and their service was exemplary and I would definitely use them again. A couple of weeks later this arrived in the post! I'm very happy!

free image hosting service

Master
    Blog Entries
    thats a beautiful colour,how does it write?

Craftsman
    Its really lovely and much smoother for a Fine nib compared to others I tried. Its relatively wet and even if unused for a number of days, it inks straight away.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've just received a vintage (1930s) De La Rue Onoto 5601 'The Pen' back from restoration...

All my ink is currently at work, so I have to wait to get some delivered before I can try it, but it's looking good

It has a plunger style filling mechanism where filling is achieved by depressing the plunger with the nib in ink, rather than drawing ink up by extending the plunger. Clever stuff.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amnesia; 10th June 2020 at 16:34.

I eventually made it to Selfridges and they did indeed have the Leman fountain pen to test, but only in Medium. It wrote beautifully, really smooth nib and I didn't find it slippery like some reviews had suggested. However, I did find the Medium a little too broad. They didn't have the matte black and gold version but they did have the silver version, which I quickly realised would be a magnet for fingerprints! As if that wasn't obvious!

So, I began searching for other versions and stumbled across Pure Pens. They had the Grand Blue available for £400 so I enquired if it was in stock and if not, how long it would take to order. They advised it wasn't in stock but they could source directly from their supplier so I placed an order for a Fine nib. They kept me informed throughout the process and their service was exemplary and I would definitely use them again. A couple of weeks later this arrived in the post! I'm very happy!

Why do you do this to me...

Craftsman
    Why do you do this to me...
    Haha, its really lovely...

Pure Pens are excellent as well

What a brilliant thread! Am in the same place - hunting for a pen. This has been a joy.
    PS: if you want to go nuts and like a pen with a watch connection the new Schofield ones look great, although they cost the same as Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    What a brilliant thread! Am in the same place - hunting for a pen. This has been a joy.
    PS: if you want to go nuts and like a pen with a watch connection the new Schofield ones look great, although they cost the same as Kent.
    Was looking at those when looking at a new strap, but not sure I can justify the cost

Master

So, which one is this?

Yeah, whoops (thanks Raj!)...

It'll be this one:

https://www.purepens.co.uk/products/...ba8cc4c1&_ss=r

Craftsman
    To be honest, if I didn't already have this, I'd be running to order after seeing those pics, really shows off how stunning the finish is. Much better pics than mine!

I've just received a really nice Lamy fountain pen, about £35 with a converter and 10% off here:

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/LM64191...pecial-edition

It arrived within 24 hours and isn't turquoise like in the pictures, more a metallic pale blue. The design, weight, quality and the way it writes are all excellent, an incredibly good pen for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I've just received a vintage (1930s) De La Rue Onoto 5601 'The Pen' back from restoration...

...snip...

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
    Is that ebonite?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is that ebonite?

No - it's hard rubber

Now that I've used it for a few weeks the nib has settled in nicely and it writes really well !

There's one just like it with much better pictures here : https://www.vintagefountainpens.co.u...-STAR-Nib.html

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Is that ebonite?
    No - it's hard rubber
    Isn't that exactly what ebonite is?

Yes, Ebonite is hard rubber.

I asked the question because I noticed what looked like browning. I have three Danitrio pens, two of which are Denshos and the other the giant pen Mikado, all ebonite. Although I kept them in a pen holder in a dark drawer they have been turning brown as well. A shame really as they look nice. They are eye-dropper filled and I seal them with silicone grease, but they have a valve in them which I have overtightened, or weren't up to the kob, and the ink bypasses the valve leading to leaks. The Mikado is particularly impressive in its size and has a huge nib. One Densho has a fine flex nib, the other a stub.