closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Max Bill Quartz or Hamilton Intramatic?

Max Bill Quartz or Hamilton Intramatic?

I'm primarily looking for an Intra-matic but the obvious alternative is a Max Bill. I like the quartz for size, does anyone own one? How do they compare generally?

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect...ll+gender-mens
    Last edited by bonzo697; 12th January 2015 at 12:33.

I just ordered a Max Bill from First Class Watches, and it was £85 cheaper than Jura through their on-line offer option. I still be interested to hear comparisons if anyone's owned both.

I bought this one on Black Friday from First Class which had good discounts.

Their name reflects the service…! It also sums up the watch perfectly.

Craftsman
    I owned the black faced Max Bill auto
    and still have a silver Intramatic. Both are 38mm though the Intramatic is sleeker with longer lugs, and a slightly domed Saphire crystal. I like the fact that Intramatic uses a different movement to the ubiquitous 2824, and think on paper it is the better spec'd watch. I prefer silver dialed watches, plus the colour of the date wheel put me off the Max Bill. I would be loathe to get rid of the Intramatic but in a straight shoot out with a silver faced Max Bill (auto) then I would twitching.
    Might also be worth checking out Archimede's new 1950's Bauhaus design as well - Auto Miyota movement at same price as Max Bill Quartz.

I picked this up for £425: https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/...46400-p-21968/
    I'm still interested in an Intra-matic, which I think it would have been my first choice but only at used prices.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 12th January 2015 at 20:07.

Craftsman
    ^^ Stunning and I imagine you will be very happy with it. The quartz version must be quite new to their line up. Any ideas what movement they use?
    Enjoy, post pics and let me know if you fancy a swap with the auto Intramatic in the future 😈

I believe it's an ETA movement with Plexi crystal.

The Archimede Klassik 1950's might also be worth a look. (Their apostrophe, not mine.) Citizen Miyota 9015 automatic, like the Smiths Everest, so a very good movement too.

I have on on the 'to buy' radar.

Craftsman
    For some reason the Max Bill looks the most "authentic". I've seen them in the flesh and although the 38mm is a bit too small for me, the design is spot-on. I am not sure if I would go for the quartz version though.

Craftsman
    I would have that the Quartz version is more in keeping with the Max Bill/Bauhaus design philosophy, although it probably wasn't available when he designed the watch.

It's just arrived. The strap is actually navy blue, which is a real bonus. It has a domed plexi crystal too. I should also add that the service from First Class Watches is exactly that.

Last edited by bonzo697; 13th January 2015 at 16:26.

Craftsman
    Nice! Congrats.

^ Thanks! I've added another shot with the seconds hand visible. I think the hands curve, but maybe it's an illusion from the crystal?

Craftsman
    I've always thought that the hands curve, as the dial and crystal do the same. I think it is for optical alignment. It gives a nice "unusual" touch to the watch, though.

Good choice in headphones, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post

The original buckle was a little mundane, so I've just bought this Junghans Deployant from Watch Band Center.

Last edited by bonzo697; 24th January 2015 at 15:33.