closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good duvet - recomendation

Master

A good duvet - recomendation

Hi,

SWMBO is after buying advice on down duvets.

i.e. good ones to look at and where to buy.

Anyone got any experience they can pass along?

Cheers

Goose down, but it'll cost you

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Hi,

SWMBO is after buying advice on down duvets.

i.e. good ones to look at and where to buy.

Anyone got any experience they can pass along?

Cheers
    Feather = weight and noise {crackle}
    Feather and Down mix= better than just feather
    Down and feather = more warmth for less weight { you normally have a small percentage of feather so it has some breathability}.
    Duck is not as good as Goose
    Goose has various grades, generally though the colder the area, the better the down, Siberian goose down is about as good as it gets.

John Lewis
    Debenhams

Both offer good choice and range this time of year, and at bargin prices too. personally I always get the all season ones where you get a 4.5 tog summer duvet and a 9.5 tog winter duvet that can be used together if it gets really cold...... or you live north of Watford ! Though I cant actually remember using both together as down duvets are very warm.

Banned
    As a replacement we got this one recently, very happy with it and it has a nice weight to it.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00271435/

I was in the same position as you a short while back, did a lot of digging and settled on these in 13.5 tog.

Fantastic quality, excellent price, lovely and lightweight but still puff up beautifully.

http://www.theduvetstore.co.uk/index...images.tpl.htm

Craftsman
    Last year after studying different companies and products I bought one from www.duvettalk.co.uk and it is excellent. Not only was the price very reasonable but they are hand filled in UK before dispatch (as opposed to being filled in Europe or China 2 years ago and then left to sit in a damp warehouse). They also offer a choice of Siberian or Hungarian pure goose down . The only difficult decision is what tog to go for.

Have you thought about a wool duvet?
    These have no tog rating as they are supposed to self regulate by adapting to your individual body temperature.
    We have been using one after a recommendation from a colleague and find it very good.
    You don't need to change it with the season.
    It also washes as wool.
    Expect to pay from £70 to £150 for a king size.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    These have no tog rating as they are supposed to self regulate by adapting to your individual body temperature.
    We have been using one after a recommendation from a colleague and find it very good.
    It also washes as wool.
    Sounds like baloney and they've something to hide.

Any duvet is just insulation.

It also washes as wool.
    We have one of these because my wife knows I cant cope with natural fillings in duvets or pillows.

I therefore had to buy a single hollowfill duvet from Ikea for my side of the bed.

Apparently, folded over double, the wool duvet is too hot. And Im making a fuss about nothing.

The missus was talking about a wool duvet the other day after seeing the Baavet ones on an old Dragons Den repeat.
    We might get one as she's at "that age" where she's like The Human Tourch in the Fantastic4 and I'm fed up of waking up under a 27 tog duvet!

Eider Down is as good as it gets..... but it will cost you:-

http://www.seymoursofdarlington.co.uk/schlossberg-empereur-warmth-4-12135-tog-/p1926
    Last edited by galewis; 11th January 2015 at 14:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    I was in the same position as you a short while back, did a lot of digging and settled on these in 13.5 tog.

Fantastic quality, excellent price, lovely and lightweight but still puff up beautifully.

http://www.theduvetstore.co.uk/index...images.tpl.htm

Can heartily recommend these. We got a 13.5 tog SuperKing in Dec 2012 and couldnt be happier.

Master
    It also washes as wool.
    Tried a wool one a few years ago... SWMBO ordered it from NZ... Cost a bomb ISTR. 'She' didn't like it. Can't remember why but one day it was on the bed and then next it vanished! :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    Eider Down is as good as it gets..... but it will cost you:-

http://www.seymoursofdarlington.co.uk/schlossberg-empereur-warmth-4-12135-tog-/p1926
    4 grand! Errr... don't let SWMBO see that! ;-)

Veblen duvets, who would have thought it...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    Can heartily recommend these. We got a 13.5 tog SuperKing in Dec 2012 and couldnt be happier.
    13.5!! We have a 3 on the bed at the moment. The advantage of getting to the age of hot flushes... you don't need as thick a quilt! :-)

We have this one:-

http://uk.tempur.com/accessories/mat...-TB81061M.html

Got it as part of a deal when we bought the mattress.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    Last year after studying different companies and products I bought one from www.duvettalk.co.uk and it is excellent. Not only was the price very reasonable but they are hand filled in UK before dispatch (as opposed to being filled in Europe or China 2 years ago and then left to sit in a damp warehouse). They also offer a choice of Siberian or Hungarian pure goose down . The only difficult decision is what tog to go for.
    Yep... them and duvetstore.... SWMBO has just shouted across she's already familiar with them.

As I sit here there's a pile of sheets of A4 paper on the coffee table with various different duvets shown. And... the printer's just beeped again! She don't do things by half ;-)

Master
    Thanks for all the pointers.... all passed across ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    4 grand! Errr... don't let SWMBO see that! ;-)
    Too late, she'd already been on their site.... Amazingly even my wife thinks 5 grand (for a double) is a little bit too much ;-)

Master
    Thought this might help...

Next time I'm planning on two single duvets and a kingsize bed.

Master
    You may already be aware but the two sites mentioned above can supply 'partner' duvets where the tog rating is different on each side, which may help those with particularly warm bed companions. They also cool 'cooling' versions which are targeted at ladies of a certain age.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I'll pass that one across.

Cheers.

I think I might be getting out of my depth here.... SWMBO keeps on saying things like 'fullness' and 'loft' and 'thread count'. I've only just got my head around the idea of TOG - anything greater than 4 means sweat to death! ;-)

We bought a couple of the IKEA down ones recently and they seem fine. No idea what they're called - my interest in duvets extended only to looking at the price and then putting them in the trolley.

Master
    We had (tried) one of the ikea ones which used some form of cellulose filling. It didn't last... by that I mean SWMBO rejected it after a couple of nights. SWMBO is VERY particular about quilts. We must have been through 4 or 5 in the last two years :-(

We just bought a king size wool duvet from 'SoakAndSleep' online. Price was around £80 I think for the spring/autumn one.

I'm fairly impressed with it - the temperature seems right to me, and more importantly SWMBO has been happy with it too (normally I'm way too hot when she's comfortable).

The only possible downsides that I've noticed are that it's very thin so if you or your other half like a thick duvet then it's not really suitable, also it crinkles a bit which is apparently due to the heavy threadcount cotton, it's supposed to subside with time but we've only had it a couple of weeks.

Paul.

I got a new one two weeks ago from House of Fraser, their Hotel range, Duck and Goose, summer and winter, it's a 10 and a 3.5 that button together, it was £100 supposedly reduced from £350, girlfriend loves it, I hate it, far to warm!

Suffered like many by the sounds of it unable to find a balance that suited both me and my partner. Tired synthetic and feathered until finally bought a wool one based on a friends recommendation and really did solve the problem. Warm all winter and though I don't sleep under it in the summer (I like sleeping on it) my girlfiend sleeps under it all year round. Don't know of it self regulates, don't care it works. Can't say it will be the one for you but I will never get anything else again.

Pretty cheap from M&s as well if I remeber right.

Craftsman
    Fully can recommend Ikea's: many choices, good quality and prices.

It also washes as wool.
    ^This, we've had our Fogarty wool quilt for a good couple of years now and it's without question the best duvet we've owned, it's brilliant all times of year.

Ours is super king and think we paid around 80.00 from dunelm mill.

I Thought I'd take a punt on a Baavet wool duvet earlier his week, they have a few "bargain box" offers on their site so I bought a medium weight double for £85.
    It arrived this morning so we'll try it out tonight...

Master
    Have a look at the White Company, excellent vfm.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Get one with square pockets, which keep the filling in place much better than the long tube construction.

Journeyman
    We've tried a few down varieties over the years, but recently took a left turn and gave mulberry silk a shot. Got to say, I really love it. The filling is basically tiny strands of natural silk, and it feels very different to anything else.
    It lies a lot flatter than fibre/down duvets, sort of hugs you like a blanket, but is incredibly comfortable and luxurious.

Incidentally, if you do go for a down duvet, don't be conned into thinking "Siberian" is a superior product. There's no such thing, it's just a marketing ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post

Incidentally, if you do go for a down duvet, don't be conned into thinking "Siberian" is a superior product. There's no such thing, it's just a marketing ploy.
    What I was thinking. Most of these birds are migratory. Catch them somewhere else.

In the same vain (and sorry for going slightly off thread...) but anyone got any recommendations on pillows? I don't seem to fussed on duvets, but pillows I am. Cant find one I get on well with...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    In the same vain (and sorry for going slightly off thread...) but anyone got any recommendations on pillows? I don't seem to fussed on duvets, but pillows I am. Cant find one I get on well with...
    Pm Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Pm Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    As a replacement we got this one recently, very happy with it and it has a nice weight to it.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00271435/
    As above - I bought this one (Honsbar), and although it does 'rustle' a bit........ It is a great duvet, very comfortable.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/t...-art-00307774/

I recently upgraded my feather and down one to a pure down and its so light and so much warmer (and quieter)

I paid about £500 for an all season one from Soak and Sleep

Wouldn't want to go back to feather now

https://www.soakandsleep.com/n-i-sup...ll-season.html

Master
    Can only echo the comments about going wool.

I have had various goose down duvets and they’re great for initial warmth but I’d wake up soaked in the middle of the night.

The wool is much better at wicking away the sweat and letting you breathe.

Think the clincher for me was staying in a hotel and thinking they always have these thin duvets that I like, I googled it and found out they mostly use wool duvets.

Seems slightly odd at first as they’re not all soft and fluffy and feel hefty for how thin they are but I wouldn’t have anything else now.

I’ve converted a few mates who’re like me (and my Dad also)

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Can only echo the comments about going wool.

I have had various goose down duvets and they’re great for initial warmth but I’d wake up soaked in the middle of the night.

The wool is much better at wicking away the sweat and letting you breathe.

Think the clincher for me was staying in a hotel and thinking they always have these thin duvets that I like, I googled it and found out they mostly use wool duvets.

Seems slightly odd at first as they’re not all soft and fluffy and feel hefty for how thin they are but I wouldn’t have anything else now.

I’ve converted a few mates who’re like me (and my Dad also)
    They probably feel hefty because with all the wicking going on, the salts (and other stuff) from sweat builds up in them.

Master
    I'm not sure why this thread rose from the dead but if anyone is interested in a wool duvet Baavet are offering 25% of the Baargin Box prices:

https://www.baavet.co.uk/baavet-wool-bargains

Use code Bargain25.

They really are very good duvets & I now have a summer & a winter weight one. The Baargin Box items only have minor issues & you won't see any wonky stitching & the like once it's in the duvet cover.

3 posts up - is

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I'm not sure why this thread rose from the dead but if anyone is interested in a wool duvet Baavet are offering 25% of the Baargin Box prices:

https://www.baavet.co.uk/baavet-wool-bargains

Use code Bargain25.

They really are very good duvets & I now have a summer & a winter weight one. The Baargin Box items only have minor issues & you won't see any wonky stitching & the like once it's in the duvet cover.
    I got a duvet from them about a month ago and they're very good. Just used that code to pick up a bargain single for one of my kids as well, so thanks for that!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Another fan of wool duvets here, just bought our 3rd! We’ve had a double, medium weight since 2015 from Baavet but we now have a superking since moving up into our loft conversion.
    This we bought from The Wool Room but decided to go for the “winter weight”, boy it’s warm! Although it’s a 13tog equivalent there’s the extra weight to factor in so be warned.

Luckily I snapped up the last superking size from the Baavet bargain box for £67 thanks to Mr Pointy, it’s a lightweight so should be much better before we decide to switch the air conditioning on.

One thing you will notice with a wool duvet is the smell! It doesn’t last long but unless you like the smell of Dolly the Sheep I’d air it for a good week before use. Oddly enough we didn’t get any Ovis type whiffs from the duvet we got from The Wool Room.

The Wool Room has a 25% discount on all their products until midnight tomorrow by the way, the OH recommends their pillows.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They probably feel hefty because with all the wicking going on, the salts (and other stuff) from sweat builds up in them.
    Out the packet they feel hefty for their (thin) size.

I can’t imagine there’s a lot of mineral deposit making it’s way to the wool, more than likely the majority of any mineral would stay on the duvet cover in form of a crystal deposit.

It’s a no brainier for me, down duvets are great insulators but I’m a hotty and I’d wake up soaked in a down duvet. If you think about it, the sweat is then just soaking your mattress so I’d rather have the wool duvet wick away moisture into the air than have it go elsewhere.

My Mrs wasn’t too impressed at getting under the wool duvet at first as the brain is thinking it’s not thick n fluffy so I’ll be cold, but she has no complaints now.

Hello

Just ordered a king size from Baavet thanks for this!
    Last edited by burnside; 26th May 2019 at 15:40.