closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first G10...

My first G10...

Hello all,

I know someone getting a 1989 CWC G10 isn't huge news, but I'm really quite taken by it so thought I'd post a few quick pics. This is my first G10 (or CWC for that matter) and I have to say I'm impressed by the quality. I've read them described in places as feeling 'cheap' but from dial to case the whole thing seems really nicely finished and feels reassuringly solid. Here it is on my 6.75'' wrist...

I think my favourite thing about it (and also another first for me) is the acrylic crystal. I'm certainly an acrylic fan now, I just love the bubble-like appearance and also enjoyed being able to polish out a couple of light scratches in a few seconds with a little dab of toothpaste!

A shot trying to capture the shape of the crystal...

In fact lets add another first for me, my first tritium dial! 1989 so as you can imagine the lume is next to useless but I've got my fingers crossed in the hope that it takes on a nice yellowing patina after a few more years. The yellower and warmer the better in my book!

Luck of the draw I'm sure but the second hand actually hits the markers spot on all the way around the dial! I'm not overly bothered about that but it's certainly a bonus when they neatly line up. The case has a great bead blasted finish very similar to that of my PRS-18Q and other than a few minor dings is in really nice condition...

Okay, I just noticed another first for me (I should really have made a list at the start!), fixed bars. This is a thumbs up in my book as I only ever seem to wear NATOs. I've been using 20mm on this, despite the 19mm lug width. The gap left by an 18mm strap just doesn't look right to me and it isn't much of a squeeze to get a 20mm on. You only notice any 'bunching' with some of the more rigid nylon. In fact Eddie's NATOs are soft enough to gently compress as you pull them through, making you hardly notice the lugs are that little bit narrower.

Well that's all I guess, I've not really got anything revolutionary to say. It's kept excellent time, to the second in fact, since christmas day. I'm also finding it extremely comfortable on the wrist and it's really nice to have the option of wearing something so small and lightweight. I can absolutely see why people begin collecting these. In fact I'm starting to feel like there is a Precista G10 somewhere in my future, or perhaps a navigator with date!

Cheers for now,

Uke

Nothing boring or mundane about these - great write up!

I am wearing mine on one of Eddies NATO's as I type this

Master
    Nice watch in great condition and superb photos, any tips?

Journeyman
    Brilliant photos, I love wearing my G10.

Acrylic crystal is brilliant, small scratches aren't a bother. Even better that yours is my birth year and in amazing condition.

Wear in good health

Lovely watch & great photo's.

G10's are superb watches. All you need now is to collect all the other variants..

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Lovely watch & great photo's.

G10's are superb watches. All you need now is to collect all the other variants..

Cheers

Dave
    ^^^This. Had mine about five years (bought new from Silvermans) and is a regular daily wearer. The build quality is superb - plus the seconds hand hits all the markers bang on. Apart from anything else, where are you going to get a an ETA 955 7 jewel movement for under £150?

As much as I love it, it's still near the top of my 'if only' list... I'm not mad about the shape of the case or the (IMO) skinny hands, but the whole is certainly greater than the sum of the parts.

There's really only one watch to give the G10 a run for its money - the Seiko SBCA001, but it's JDM only and doesn't boast the CWC heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Nice watch in great condition and superb photos, any tips?
    Thanks mate, I feel that for these sort of photos once you have a decent camera and a good macro lens from there on in it's all about good lighting (be it artificial or natural) and lots of trial and error fiddling about with the settings (I find mainly shutter speed and ISO). My only tip based on my experience would be learn your camera and lenses inside out and make use of everything they let you tweak. I'm still learning and with the vast expanse of photographic knowledge and equipment out there imagine I always will be!

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    ...All you need now is to collect all the other variants..

Cheers

Dave
    Tell me about it! It feels like I'm fighting the onset of an addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    ...As much as I love it, it's still near the top of my 'if only' list... I'm not mad about the shape of the case or the (IMO) skinny hands, but the whole is certainly greater than the sum of the parts....
    The case is a real part of the attraction for me...I love the angularness of the lugs, they feel very much akin to those on the Precista 82 or 93 divers.

Master
    Great write up and superb photos, I had a g10 but now I really miss it I must get another.You really can't beat acrylic Imo as it gives the watch a warmer feel and that lovely distortion, mine had lost a piece of lume on the hand that's why I sold it, just wish I'd had it relumed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Uke1 View Post
    Tell me about it! It feels like I'm fighting the onset of an addiction!

The case is a real part of the attraction for me...I love the angularness of the lugs, they feel very much akin to those on the Precista 82 or 93 divers.
    The fat cased earlier ones are surprisingly different to wear compared to a later one.
    I'd recommend trying to source a very early fat cased one without the CWC lettering in an oval, they're lovely.
    Don't bother fighting the addiction - resistance is futile !
    Dave

Stunning watch and pics! I do love a G10 and often wish I still had my last one. The next time I can buy a watch it will be a G10.I've also owned a couple of PRS-10s but, although I fully appreciate the technical improvements, they just don't hit the spot like the CWC.Enjoy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    the whole is certainly greater than the sum of the parts.]
    Agree entirely - can't quite work out why it feels different on the wrist compared to what you feel like looking at it in the drawer before putting it on. Wore mine all weekend and had several double takes from people at my wrist. I do like it. Welcome to the G10 club!

Craftsman
    This is the first time I have seen this watch, it looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

I became addicted to these about 4 years ago and now I have about 12. The fun is tracking down the different variants with the Navigators being the "holy grail"! There do not seem to be as many fat boys available at the moment. These are great and have more weight to them. I was lucky a couple of years ago and I picked up 3 navigators. 2 from 1980 and 1 from 1984.
    Condition is important, some are really bashed up with the inner bottom left lug chewed if an incorrect case opener has been used. Take care if the lume in the hands is cracked as it will probably fall out

Cheers,

Peter

Here is a nice one from 1983 as it has the rarer offset battery hatch and the original satin watch "glass" tension ring. Lots of people just use chrome rings which removes the originality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-CWC-W...item4631ccfc9a

Peter

Thanks for the tips Peter! And so my hunt begins...

Nice pics there... makes me really want a G10. Been hankering after one for a while now

I was just hoping someone could help me out with a few questions I have.

Are there tritium tubes on these or is it some kind of lume paint with tritium in it? If it is a tritium lume does that give off the same light intensity as a tube?

I can see there are G10's with tritium tubes out there from a company called MWC. Anyone know if they are any good?

cheers
    col

The CWC etches use a luminous paint. After all this time there is not much glow left in any of my collection. CWC/Precista are the brands to go for and not MWC

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    The CWC etches use a luminous paint. After all this time there is not much glow left in any of my collection. CWC/Precista are the brands to go for and not MWC
    This.

Master
    Don't go for MWC as there's no comparison.

Thanks for the advice, seems to be the consensus that MWC are better avoided... can't seem to find anyone to endorse them except for their own website sales pitch. I confess it made me chuckle when I googled "MWC G10 review" and the top result was a forum post entitled "Why is MWC so despised"

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Steer clear of MWC - I bought one a few years ago (very cheaply) but it was of very poor quality and I think I wore it once. Managed to get shot of it on Ebay for roughly what I paid - I would have been too embarassed to put it on SC.

Can't stop looking at these classic looking watches. Will have to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by tasum View Post
    Can't stop looking at these classic looking watches. Will have to get one.
    Are you going to actually make a meaningful contribution to this part of the forum or is the intention to just post asinine rubbish in an attempt to boost your post count. I assume you are aware that you still have a 60 day wait before you can view Sales Corner?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Are you going to actually make a meaningful contribution to this part of the forum or is the intention to just post asinine rubbish in an attempt to boost your post count. I assume you are aware that you still have a 60 day wait before you can view Sales Corner?
    I am trying to say what I can, but I'm still new to collecting and so don't have a great deal to offer.

I have ordered a cwc as a result of this and the many other threads I've been reading. So I hope that counts.

I'm sorry if I've offended you ar anyone else on here; I don't always have the time during the day to put on longer posts.

I am aware of the 60 days, but I'm happy to wait for access to sc as I've been inspired to dig out my old watches and get them re-strapped and worn again. Plus I'm sure I'll end up spending too much.

Will be posting some piccies soon.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I've taken your advice and ordered a cwc from Johnsons. I'll let you know how it works out once I pick it up.

I was so impressed with the op's pics that I've just bought an Army version from another forum. Now can't wait til they're in my grubby mits. Thanks again to the op and contributors.

here's a pic

Quote Originally Posted by tasum View Post
    I was so impressed with the op's pics that I've just bought an Army version from another forum. Now can't wait til they're in my grubby mits. Thanks again to the op and contributors.

here's a pic
    Ah thanks mate, glad you found them useful. I hope you like the watches when they show up! Wrist shots when you get them

Johnsons came up trumps. Very helpful chap there, Nigel. Spent a long time explaining all about them and even sold me a clock from a Vulcan bomber (thread to follow). Would recommend Johnsons for watches and loads of other military gear. They've now got an airsoft shop and range.

Thanks again to the op.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tasum; 31st May 2015 at 07:52.

Journeyman
    Love the G10.

Craftsman
    After reading this thread I'm now torn between a CWC G10 or a CWC GS Navigator?
    Any advise from others who own either, one more desirable than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by xpatx View Post
    After reading this thread I'm now torn between a CWC G10 or a CWC GS Navigator?
    Any advise from others who own either, one more desirable than the other?

There are some differences that you might care about such as the movement etc. but really I'd just say do you want date or no-date? I wanted both and prefer the more 'Vintage' feel of a Tritium dial. Got a 1989 G10 no-date but unfortunately the classic Tritium dialled navigators are really hard to come by! So I ended up with a GS2000 as well and its proving to be a great little watch! To be fair it's actually quite nice to have functioning lume on it

Here they are together...

The GS2000 probably gets the most wear from me due to the date function, though it's a pretty close call.

GS2000 on one of Eddie's grey NATOs...

To date or not to date...that is the question!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uke1 View Post
    There are some differences that you might care about such as the movement etc. but really I'd just say do you want date or no-date? I wanted both and prefer the more 'Vintage' feel of a Tritium dial. Got a 1989 G10 no-date but unfortunately the classic Tritium dialled navigators are really hard to come by! So I ended up with a GS2000 as well and its proving to be a great little watch! To be fair it's actually quite nice to have functioning lume on it

Here they are together...

The GS2000 probably gets the most wear from me due to the date function, though it's a pretty close call.

GS2000 on one of Eddie's grey NATOs...

To date or not to date...that is the question!
    Thanks for the info much appreciated.
    I would like a vintage and it's a shame the navigators are hard to find, maybe a G10 for now.

If you want something with a date and can cope with it not being vintage (although there are issued versions) I just bought a pulsar which has the date. Cost a bit less than a CWC G10. Will pop a pic on later. Got if from ebay. Hope it helps.

Last edited by tasum; 23rd June 2015 at 11:24.