closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £10K lost in 'I'm a police officer from Serious Fraud Office ' scam

£10K lost in 'I'm a police officer from Serious Fraud Office ' scam

Just rec'd from Cambs Police e-Cops … this is a genuine e-Cops message :

Good afternoon all

This week the police have received six calls from residents in Huntingdon regarding the 'police officer' telephone scam.

In each case the caller claimed to be a Metropolitan Police Officer from the Serious Fraud Office stating that they had people in custody in relation to money transactions who were in possession of their personal details.

Attempts were then made to coerce personal and bank details from the victims and asking them to withdraw money from their bank. Unfortunately on one occasion the victim passed over £10,000 to a male who attended the address to collect the money.

It is likely that more calls were made which have not been reported to police. If you have received a call or know either a friend, neighbour or family member who did please let us know and report it on 101.

Neither the banks nor the police will call and ask you to pass personal or bank details over the phone. If you get a call like this put down the receiver - wait at least 10 minutes so the call is cleared and then ring us to report it - noting any details you were given.

Many thanks

Yxxxx Zxxxxxx
    Crime Prevention Officer
    Northern Sector Peterborough
    Cambridgeshire Police

dunk

Think I saw this on Crimewatch?
    It's scary what some people fall for!

Master
    There are still people who trust the police? Blimey. How do people this gullible have £10,000 in the first place?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    There are still people who trust the police? Blimey. How do people this gullible have £10,000 in the first place?
    Only by being out previously & missing the call.

Craftsman
    There's a lot more of this going all the time. Part of my work involves sheltered housing for older people many of them are vulnerable and too trusting. Every year we get periods of activity when con men and woman target the schemes. It dosnt matter how many meetings you have to warn people somebody always lets them in. Sad world at times.

Craftsman
    I can remember a few years ago while assisting the Police in a Fraud case. The offenders had walked into a school teachers office and stole her credit/debit cards. They then phoned the victim pretending to be from her bank and advised her of possible fraudulent activity only moments ago. Of course when she went to her bag, the cards were gone. Believing to be a genuine call she handed over her details and within the next 15 minutes, the card had been used at multiple retailers and cash machine to over £1000.

2 other occasions I had intercepted false fascias placed on cash machines and the cctv showed how clever these people are. Cameras to film the PIN number and a device to get the card stuck. The victim walks off to report their card not retracting back out but in those few minutes the offenders had already taken the card and had their pin details.

These people are very professional and very convincing. My advice is if receiving a call and in doubt, give no information and say you will ring your back back on the number for Your bank.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Just rec'd from Cambs Police e-Cops … this is a genuine e-Cops message :

Good afternoon all

This week the police have received six calls from residents in Huntingdon regarding the 'police officer' telephone scam.

In each case the caller claimed to be a Metropolitan Police Officer from the Serious Fraud Office stating that they had people in custody in relation to money transactions who were in possession of their personal details.

Attempts were then made to coerce personal and bank details from the victims and asking them to withdraw money from their bank. Unfortunately on one occasion the victim passed over £10,000 to a male who attended the address to collect the money.

It is likely that more calls were made which have not been reported to police. If you have received a call or know either a friend, neighbour or family member who did please let us know and report it on 101.

Neither the banks nor the police will call and ask you to pass personal or bank details over the phone. If you get a call like this put down the receiver - wait at least 10 minutes so the call is cleared and then ring us to report it - noting any details you were given.

Many thanks

Yxxxx Zxxxxxx
    Crime Prevention Officer
    Northern Sector Peterborough
    Cambridgeshire Police

dunk
    The SFO is a government dept with nothing to do with the Police in fact. this link shows some of the scams that people fall for.
    http://content.met.police.uk/Site/fraudalert