• Tag Heuer Carrera CV2A10.BA0796

5 8.62%
  • Omega speedmaster Apollo XI

53 91.38%

Thread: Speedy Apollo XI vs Carrera CV2A10

Craftsman

Speedy Apollo XI vs Carrera CV2A10

Tag Heuer Carrera CV2A10.BA0796 vs Omega speedmaster Apollo XI

if you could choose and money is not an issue, which one would pick and why?
    thanks

I love Tag Heuer but it has to be the Speedmaster. Superb watch, heritage, style, substance, what more could you want?

No contest.

I'm quite keen to have my sapphire sandwich Speedy as my work watch on leather and get a white dialled Speedy on bracelet as my weekend watch.

I have the CV2A10 (which is no longer made) but I think the smart money would go on a speedy (black dial).

I would normally go for any Omega over Tag Heuer however.I dont like silver dials and the CV2A10 is probably the best looking Tag released in years. Tag it is.

Master
    Speedy every day.
    I have a moon watch which I thoroughly enjoy, and absolutely love that white (panda?) dial. TAG looks a bit busy I suppose.

Hmm, tricky. I have a standard Speedy which is ageing nicely and I love the clarity, the panda version seems to lose legibility for me with the silvered hands over a white dial.
    Having said that, the Tag suffers from too much going on with the dial - and why on Earth does it have such numerals? I am sure someone far more knowledgeable will provide the answer LOL.
    So not keen on either option, but the Omega would just clinch it based on heritage.

I have owned the panda speedy twice and sold it on both times after a short period. Legibility is a major issue particularly when using the chronograph.
    The TAG is too busy and much nicer TAGS out there. i would buy neither and perhaps opt for a monaco or a regular speedy

Not a comparison i would make TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I can't think of a single positive thing to say about the TAG.

The Speedy I like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    I would normally go for any Omega over Tag Heuer however.I dont like silver dials and the CV2A10 is probably the best looking Tag released in years. Tag it is.
    It was always going to have its ass kicked. But the Tag is a lovely watch.

Master
    Seiko SDGZ013....but if I did have to choose between those two pictured (a gun to the head can be quite the motivational tool), then it'd have to be.....(I'm going to be gargling with bleach after I've said this).....the Tag Heuer.

I really wouldn't thank you for either, especially the Speedy, even though it's the most saleable – but if we're not allowed to sell it, then I imagine I'd enjoy looking at the Tag Heuer more than the Omega.
    What really grinds my nuts, is the multitude of Limited Editions and Anniversary guises that Omega have whored the Speedmaster out in – far too many to be taken seriously.
    And I prefer the look of the Broadarrow – particularly the hands, and it has a date.
    But if we have to stick with Swiss, then it'd be more likely a Corum Admiral's Cup, in 42 or 44 mm form, that gets the nod – although it'd be hard to ignore the Laureate Evo from GP.
    Last edited by PJ S; 6th January 2015 at 03:03.

One of the better modern Tags but Speedy for me.

Blog Entries
    The Omega is the better looking watch out of these two, in my opinion.

Preparing to be flamed for this, but of the two watches in the pictures below I prefer the look of the Tag. I love the speedy, but not fan of the Panda face as much. But then I wouldn't ever buy a Tag, where as I WOULD buy a speedy with a full black dial.

In the first picture, why are there black stripes through all the minutes? Does not appear in the picture/photo posted later. Was the first thing that caught my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    In the first picture, why are there black stripes through all the minutes? Does not appear in the picture/photo posted later. Was the first thing that caught my eye.
    It's just a studio picture trying to show that the markers are applied and polished, not painted on.

Speedy every time. Love that panda version.

I'm with the majority vote here, Speedy.

Only negative is if you have fading eyesight. The dial design is pretty much reverse of my Speedy Soyuz with the same hands, it can be tricky to glance read the sub-dials on mine(and my eyesight is perfect), so in this case I can imagine the hour/minute hand blending into the dial under certain light conditions. Still it's a beautiful design, would love one to sit alongside my Soyuz.

Master
    Apollo XI with regular black dial would be my choice.

Grand Master
    Between those two I'd pick the TAG (I don't do modern watches that only have vintage specs, and the history means nothing to me) but in reality I wouldn't pick that TAG out of all the Carreras available, as it looks busy and difficult to read. However saying "neither" seems even more unhelpful ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    The Omega - much prefer the brand, and I prefer the symmetrical layout of the totalisers...and it's a Speedmaster.

I've added to the overwhelming vote in favour of the Speedmaster, although I'd also agree that if I could have any Speedy out there, that colour combination would not be my first choice.

Simon

I'm not quite sure why it's a vote between those two specific watches but...
    Although I voted Speedy, that's one of the most attractive TAGs out there. It would have beaten a few of the LE speedies for me (certainly the Snoopy one) but I love panda dials anyway.

Master
    Speedie. Love the Panda dial Speedies.

Craftsman
    A friend came over on the weekend with that TAG. He was very happy and pleased with it, which after all is the main thing. I'm happy with my Speedie though!😜
    No guessing which I would choose..

Speedy for me. I'm a little biased though, as I look after this beauty.

I fitted a display back to it so I can see the lovely movement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why would you have the word chronograph around the running seconds dial? The dial on the Tag is far too busy; Speedmaster please.

Leper's Club

Any body want to join?

I don't like Speedie's or Chrono's

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by antongiu View Post
    which one would pick and why?
    thanks
    Cos it's a Speedy.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Seiko SDGZ013....but if I did have to choose between those two pictured (a gun to the head can be quite the motivational tool), then it'd have to be.....(I'm going to be gargling with bleach after I've said this).....the Tag Heuer.

I really wouldn't thank you for either, especially the Speedy, even though it's the most saleable – but if we're not allowed to sell it, then I imagine I'd enjoy looking at the Tag Heuer more than the Omega.
    What really grinds my nuts, is the multitude of Limited Editions and Anniversary guises that Omega have whored the Speedmaster out in – far too many to be taken seriously.
    And I prefer the look of the Broadarrow – particularly the hands, and it has a date.
    But if we have to stick with Swiss, then it'd be more likely a Corum Admiral's Cup, in 42 or 44 mm form, that gets the nod – although it'd be hard to ignore the Laureate Evo from GP.
    I'm with you on this one ... just taken delivery of a Seiko SDGZ013, and absolutely lovin' it!!!
    The metallic dial makes the Tag and Omega dials look totally 2D.
    I have to say, whilst I would say the Tag dial is too busy, at least it's interesting!
    The Speedy dial is 80 percent white space. It's dull. (The black dial is an icon ... and this Speedy really shouldn't try and bask in its "uncle's" glory). And this whole July 1969 'thing' ... dull, dull, dull ... it really is time for them to move on ... perhaps they should "finish the job" (in for a penny ...) and start sticking 007 markers everywhere. Cover all bases, as they say. Sorry for the moment of sarcasm.)

As for the kudos of the Speedy, I think the real kudos has to lie with the Strela!

Whinging aside, being an owner of the Seiko 6138-8000, Seiko 6138-8020, and the Seiko SDGZ013 (aye! I'm a bit of a panda-junky, and heavily biased), all I will say is, "THESE are Pandas". (I may be jumping the gun a tad on the SDGZ013, but at least only two of the three dials are blackened.)

BTW, I can't believe I just voted for the Tag. Please please don't tell the guys at work.

-mykk-

Craftsman
    I voted for the Tag, mainly for the day/date and 100 metres water resistance. It makes it a more rounded, versatile watch in my view.

However, like some have said here, there are more attractive options from both makers in question, and if I had to put my money where my mouth was, I would look at those.

speedy every day of the week

Craftsman
    Not my favourite speedy but still prefer it over the tag.