closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bikers, what 125 to get?

Master

Bikers, what 125 to get?

Right, I was never into bikes...but now I got the bug

I was going to get a Honda CBF as it felt great, but was reading the built quality is rubbish and that they rust in no time :(

So now I'm thinking about super moto ... Yamaha WR or XT125X....or even Honda XR.
    What's your opinion?

...and if you think of selling any of those send me a PM,
    Cheers,
    Mike

I bought a Honda C 90 Cub as they are so cool in a strange way....but it's too small for me ( advert in SC)

I have a Vespa 125px, 2 stroke, four speed (twist grip) manual. Good for city traffic but not much use above 50mph.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The 21st century 125cc version of the Cub is the Innova. I have had one for over 10 years now and it is the 21st c. 125cc version of the Cub. It simply does everything, always.
    It tops at 65 mph. and really does 50 km. on a liter.

Just bought this last week. Don't know how long it will last as I'm itching to get a bigger geared bike once I pass my direct access...

Just do Direct Access, went from ZERO bike experience to full licence and a 675cc Triumph in two months, easy enough and no worries as long as you don't go stupid!

BTW the bigger bikes are much easier to ride, the 125s are so freakin wobbly, hated them!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Just do Direct Access, went from ZERO bike experience to full licence and a 675cc Triumph in two months, easy enough and no worries as long as you don't go stupid!

BTW the bigger bikes are much easier to ride, the 125s are so freakin wobbly, hated them!
    Fully agree with this. I bought a CBR125 to practice on but found the 500cc used by the training school to be so much easier to ride. You can complete your training and get your test in 3 days and completing your training in the winter gives you confidence that you can ride in all weather's. Go for it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post

Master
    I've got a Vespa PX125:

but also love the Van Van (RV125)

Both good for resale value as well when you want a bigger bike.
    Last edited by teknicolourfox; 4th January 2015 at 10:43.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Depends on what you want to do on two wheels.
    I went from the VFR to a Duke to the Innova because the roads here are killers and the 125 ever so much easier to ride/control. Mind you, that is with 20 years of racing experience.

Btw. I can't find it a good idea to go big power when you cannot control a wobbly yet but hey I have only done a few hundred thousand km on two wheels.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I went from the VFR to a Duke to the Innova because the roads here are killers and the 125 ever so much easier to ride/control. Mind you, that is with 20 years of racing experience.

Btw. I can't find it a good idea to go big power when you cannot control a wobbly yet but hey I have only done a few hundred thousand km on two wheels.
    He didn't say he couldn't control it. Just that he found it more comfortable on a bigger bike. A view I also share.

Banned

Please point me to your entry on wikipedia, it would be great to celebrate the achievements of such a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy mark View Post
    He didn't say he couldn't control it. Just that he found it more comfortable on a bigger bike. A view I also share.
    A view I share too. The ‘couldn’t control it’ jibe is just what I’ve come to expect: deliberate mis-reading to suit the OP’s agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    In his dreams.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries

Definitely a Suzuki VanVan - MIGHT be selling our one too

Definitely the Suzuki VanVan as it ticks all the boxes for learning about the world of biking.

We are a biking family and the last convert was my daughter for whom i bought a beautiful black VanVan. These are proper "big" small bikes and very easy to ride having a low centre of gravity, very well balanced and low seat for solid feet placement, with sweet engine and light controls. Engine is very forgiving too and good brakes. Cant be beaten IMHO.

I am actually pondering selling her bike now as we have no need for it.

I hope you get what youre after and enjoy this great new world.

Jim

I ride bigger bikes, even in enduro, but I briefly tried the KTM Duke 125. A fun little bike unlike most 125s encountered by myself. Very easy to control, and some fun factor included.

Edit: Unless you are small(ish), a bigger bike may suit you better. Direct access and a dual sport would fit the bill then.
    Last edited by hako; 4th January 2015 at 16:47.

We still have a TW125 in the garage - I love them. The Van Van is nice too. Not too many 125cc's are that entertaining, and can be frightening on the road at times.
    It's just a matter of time...

I can't find it a good idea to go big power when you cannot control a wobbly yet but hey I have only done a few hundred thousand km on two wheels.
    Are you 185cm and 110kg with bike gear on? Being these dimensions means I fit a 200kg 675cc bike much better than a 120kg 125cc, the wobbly comes from basic physics like higher centre of gravity and lower centripetal forces, bla bla.

My wrist works perfectly fine for controlling the throttle, regardless of engine size. But thanks anyway for your input

Master

Cilla - is there *anything* that you haven't done or at least have no expert knowledge of? Serious question.
    I envisage you're a Spanish version of 'condorman'.  (no offence meant btw)
    Last edited by gmt 16750; 4th January 2015 at 19:44. Reason: Can't spell.

125s are inherently more wobbly than bigger bikes, especially if you're a big bloke. The other thing to consider is their acceleration and top speed. If you're mainly riding in town not a problem, but they can be hard work and a bit scary in fast moving traffic and on long journeys. I've also done a few miles, on a few bikes, on a few continents and tracks.... :-)

If 125 is a definite then the van van, as above would get a vote from me. Or maybe go for a classic 2 stroke (Aprilia rs, Honda NSR etc) great fun and good for learning maintainance!

Has anyone owned/tested a Chinese 125?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    125s are inherently more wobbly than bigger bikes, especially if you're a big bloke. The other thing to consider is their acceleration and top speed. If you're mainly riding in town not a problem, but they can be hard work and a bit scary in fast moving traffic and on long journeys. I've also done a few miles, on a few bikes, on a few continents and tracks.... :-)
    Sorry Matt completely disagree.

The daughters VanVan is ridden very comfortably and without wobbles by both my son and I - and we are both 185cm and I weigh 18st.

The VanVan copes very easily and as i said earlier, because of its wide rear tyre and low centre of gravity makes it very stable. "Wobbly" bikes are those with high COG and snatchy controls and engines.

We are only thinking of selling it as daughter hasnt taken to biking as the rest of us. These bikes are a very underestimated machine and are why bike schools use them all the time.

Journeyman
    I started with a honda cg125 and ran it till the mot ran out then did my direct access and jumped straight on a honda cbr600 and think that for me at the time the 9 months or so on the little bike before the full test really helped me. Flip side is my wife went from no bike experience to a Suzuki sv650 in a week with no drama.

Don't disagree about the van van at all- I've only ridden a few miles on a friend's but like you say they are stable- I'm pretty big too and I would still say it's a tiny bike with very little go if you can get something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Sorry Matt completely disagree.

The daughters VanVan is ridden very comfortably and without wobbles by both my son and I - and we are both 185cm and I weigh 18st.

The VanVan copes very easily and as i said earlier, because of its wide rear tyre and low centre of gravity makes it very stable. "Wobbly" bikes are those with high COG and snatchy controls and engines.

We are only thinking of selling it as daughter hasnt taken to biking as the rest of us. These bikes are a very underestimated machine and are why bike schools use them all the time.
    As much as I like our TW and the Van Van, they are a lot more "wobbly" than something like a YBR or CB (which Id recommend to someone just wanting to pass their test). Even after almost 40 years or riding bikes on a weekly basis the TW takes more concentration than any 600+ cc bike I've ever ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Cilla - is there *anything* that you haven't done or at least have no expert knowledge of? Serious question.
    I envisage you're a Spanish version of 'condorman'.  (no offence meant btw)
    Lol Cilla isn't Spanish, is he? ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for coming back Matt and Omegamaniac

I guess its all down to personal preference irrespective of how big or small, old or young, years experience or not you may have.

Each to their own and riding (in)ability is what really counts.

Cheers all and I hope the OP gets the benefit

Jim

Absolutely Jim. Whatever you are comfortable and confident on is the most important thing.

One thing to note is that popular/good used 125cc's hold their value quite well, so not too much of an issue if you just want to use one and pass your test.

Direct access might have some appeal though. Being on the iom when I turned 16, I could ride an RD350ypvs to school on L plates; which might not have been the ideal bike for a learner :). That said, the Germans used to come over with 1000cc+ bikes with sidewinder "tray" sidecars and their learner plate!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I remember it all well Omegamanic.

Ive had my full licence nearly 30 years and have the luxury for a good few years of owning one now for pleasure not necessity. Ive had a good few from super sports, tourers to enduros.

I was even in charge of a group of guys who rode pretty well 😜 for a living 365/52/7. I also engaged with IAM/ MAG/ ROSPA and BMF and even started Bikesafe Scotland back then. That role was, for me, like having keys to the toy cupboard lol. All good things come to an end tho. Thats why i felt happy explaining COG and what is good and not so good in bikes and their suitability for born again or learner bikers. Im still learning - and will never stop actually.

Keep it upright and between the hedges Omega. Look after yourself.

Jim

Bikers, what 125 to get?

I have a Vepsa Lx125, sits at 60 quite comfortably on country roads, the 3v engine is stupidly economical and has that bit extra poke for around town. Only downside is that it isn't quite fast enough to do the new bike exam, so I'll have to switch to a geared motorbike for that or repeat my CBT.

I've only ridden a 50cc Chinese scooter on my CBT and the Vespa wins hands down on build quality.

Craftsman
    Derbi Terra Adventure 125
    Nice little motor

Perhaps decide no splitting, just ride over the cars - get a Rokon?

Master
    Blog Entries
    This Thread whetted the appetite so Ive decided to sell our VanVan.

Sorry i cant say or do more to promote this excellent wee big bike or quote price and post pics as my post count is too low.

Best, aye

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Numerous PMs now replied to. Phew - fingers now to the bone!!

Jim

Master
    Just to let you all know I've bought a bike. It just popped out of the blue... brand i've never heard of, but after some homework they are very appealing.
    The bike is a portuguese AJP PR4 Supermoto. Well built, nice and tall, engine is a simple Honda XR clone...just wish I could have the 200cc version :)

Last edited by michalko82; 28th January 2015 at 15:25.

Master
    Nice bike . Just be careful out there at this time of year.

I have a R1 and I'm seriously considering parking one of these next to it -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    Just to let you all know I've bought a bike. It just popped out of the blue... brand i've never heard of, but after some homework they are very appealing.
    The bike is a portuguese AJP PR4 Supermoto. Well built, nice and tall, engine is a simple Honda XR clone...just wish I could have the 200cc version :)

Nice choice, my first bike was a Honda XL 125 a long time ago and it looked similar ish to yours.
    I don't think you can beat a trials type bike, used to use mine for messing about down the quarry, for work and popping plenty of wheelies, was always going through chain and sprocket sets.
    How many miles have you put on it, and is it a 2 or 4 stroke. Enjoy that, looks great.
    I then moved on to the XL 250 very nice.

Master
    it's 2011 bike, but has only 112mls on the clock. I've done 9 miles so far :))
    Basically the engine needs running in first. The garage I bought it from was the first owner, it was ex-demo bike. It's a 4 stroke

Nice bike- enjoy it, and ride safe.!

Master
    Sounds great, you must be feeling very pleased with yourself (and rightly so) that's a cracking bike, ride safe. Have you got any decent leathers yet, just in case. Still have the scars on my back where I was dumped off mine several times when the roads were covered in black ice. Enjoy. Sorry one last question, how much to fill her up from empty, I'm going to guess at around £26...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Has anyone owned/tested a Chinese 125?
    I’ve ridden several out in the middle east (where they are very popular due to price) but wouldn’t buy one for here: the corrosion they had even in a dry climate doesn’t bode well for our weather. Handling wasn’t too good either, particularly the suspension.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    http://www.ajpmotos.pt

PR4 supermoto. fuel tank is only 7L so max. 8 quid to fill up...or £10 on Shell V power ;).

Master
    Jeez my XL125 cost more than that 33 years ago! Bet she goes better on V Power

Master
    My Vespa GTS 125 Super Sport which can do....drum roll..... 64 and a half miles per hour.

scooter

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post

Thats a good looking bike.

Well done and i hope you have many years of fun and safe riding!

Keep it upright and between the hedges 👍

Im still looking to sell our VanVan i guess😜

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    My Vespa GTS 125 Super Sport which can do....drum roll..... 64 and a half miles per hour.

scooter
    Great scooter, the colour sceme reminds me of a Caterham 7

Journeyman
    +1

l have a suzuki vstrom 650 which l use daily into city traffic and seldomly on summer rides with fellow rides and the wives. lt rides really smooth and a always recommend it to new riders.
    Last edited by captain_hx; 30th January 2015 at 19:49.

Master
    Seriously considering getting rid of my PX125 for a Honda Grom/MSX125 they look a lot of fun...