closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch regrets 2014... Any?

Watch regrets 2014... Any?

It's been a year of TOTAL change for me, apart from the unsaleable old SuperOcean I have (scratched crystal), every single watch in the box is new to me and I am extremely pleased with them all.

I am sad to have lost my Panerai 190, IWC Doppel, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Calendar, Heuer Silverstone and DSSD to name but a few but my first and only 'regret' is selling the JLC Master Calendar Power Reserve; the only watch my wife has ever looked at and said' that's a beautiful watch'. I want it back :(

Any other regretters out there..?

Journeyman
    Yup, regret selling my PAM183. For some reason i got it into my head that it was too big, even though it was a perfect fit. Ho Hum……on the look out for a 210 now, so hopefully alls well that ends well.

Craftsman
    My biggest regret of the year is buying a Sub 114060 knowing that it will have to leave again shortly due to another house move.

I keep telling myself it has been better to enjoy for a few months that have not enjoyed at all.

Happy New Year all!

Master
    Biggest regret - finally buying a Daytona. Thankfully left the fold after a few days.

Sold my 190 to fund another purchase, still can't believe I did it! Never mind onwards and upwards.

Last edited by melhick; 31st December 2014 at 13:18.

My only regret of this year is turning down a sea-dweller that sat in safe, "unworn" with every last bit of paperwork.
    I chose to pass on it since I didn't have details like exact model/age, as it had been sent into ROlex for a movement service, so I couldn't give it a once over before I commited any money.

As it turns out, it was an immaculate matte dial 16660
    Saw it after it came back, but by then it had been sold blind to someone else :( Sold on for peanuts too since the shop just wanted it turned around quick.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OUT PAM 372
    OUT Seamaster Pro
    OUT Planet Ocean 2500D

Glad to have experienced Panerai, I was in love for a month but the honeymoon quickly wore off.

Only regret was selling my PO 2500D on rubber and SS bracelet. It was kind of my beater when on rubber

Overall I have reduced from 8 watches to 6 - a good year and hopefully I don't buy anything in 2015!!!!!!!

Without doubt it's these two for me.

Maybe sell one...but both? What was I thinking?

Indecision and hesitation - but that also generally applies to everything I do!

My only regret of the year was trading my Pam112 plus a chunk of cash for a 372. I'll get another one someday, or maybe a Zero or a 005.

Far removed from the PAMs on display, I regret selling my Seiko SNK805. Still, it'll be under 50 quid when I inevitably buy another.

I also regretted the sale of a sold-out Amphibia SE quite quickly, as in, I regretted it the moment payment arrived in my PayPal account. A deal is a deal and it had to go. Fortunately, I was browsing SC a couple of months later when the buyer put it up for sale so it ended well.

Master

Unhappy

I have regretted selling a few, some special Amphibians, Seagull 63, Pulsar military chrono to name a few, not in the same league as previously mentioned.

No regrets.

A few I've not really warmed to though.

I think I'll have a clear out in the new year.

M.

Surprisingly no. That's what 2013 was for. Best if we don't discuss a certain watch I bought that year.

Yes, just one. Didn't buy a Tudor BB at a significant discount thru an AD - was on offer for one day and I didn't feel like driving down cos of weather.

Master
    Getting rid of my ExplorerII 42mm, having had the white face for a a year or so, I let it go, missed it terribly but lucky enough to get another with black face earlier on this year. Yep, you've guessed, let that go too, & miss it a lot.
    I'll never learn. Still, it's only a watch regret, not too important in the grand scheme of things. The rest of the year was great & the best spring/summer/autumn weatherwise I can remember.

No regrets. Only bought a Zenith this year. Sold two Rolex, neither of which I wore more than a handful of times.

Sold a couple of Alpinas- a startimer and a diver
    don't know why really, they have an unpretentious honesty about them that I really like. Realistically as good as anything at their price or even more.
    Also sold a Perrelet alarm- I'll probably never see another one.
    Oh. and a Navitimer that was sweet too.
    And a GP Seahawk.
    Incoming has seen a yachtmaster, and Air King and an IWC Ingenieur.

I probably regret letting my jlc hometime go- even though I never really wore it!

It was nice to look at, but I though it was too extravagant to own an expensive watch that would hardly ever be worn:

Surprisingly i only have one regret

I started 2014 with a citizen beater and i joined this forum in june when i wanted my first proper watch, i have bought 7 since :)

I had problems with a Helson sharkdiver in brass which i loved but had to send back (and cost me a few £) but that is not my regret

I enjoy every watch i have chosen and this is amazing considering i know literally nothing and i am learning all of the time

My regret...giving my Sarb035 to my fiancee after she fell in love with it :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Also sold a Perrelet alarm- I'll probably never see another one.
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/perrelet...-id2986235.htm
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perrelet-A...-/151519831194

Master
    Au contraire dear boy; I picked up my PAM351 and haven't been happier!

Blog Entries
    No regrets at all with my recent consolidation. My biggest to date was selling my Tuna but that has been put right by postie today and an informed memeber. Cheers Chris.

OP - I would be in the same boat as you with the JLC. Having spent a lot of time admiring and handling both the Master Calender and MUT Moon these last three days the brand is without doubt stunning and elegantly put together.

With your confirmation of your missus's comments, Mrs P, who is no watch lover, has gone on and on about have great the JLC's look.

Hang your head in shame mate and race you to the next nice one that pops up.

Happy New Year

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    No regrets as such but I miss this

I do have a few regrets, as it happens...

This, although it was sold to fund my Moser so it was the right decision. I still miss it, though.

This, which I absolutely loved but sold for very personal reasons that I won't go into.

And this. I was in a funny state of mind, but the result wasn't particularly amusing.

Master
    Not moving fast enough and missing out on a Dornbleuth. Still I've managed to save a little more and am within touching distance of a Panerai so I hope all will be well that ends well

No regrets yet, but I suspect I'll regret selling my 16600.......

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I sold quite a number of watches at the end of 2014. Partly because, as I was moving to Bangkok, I didn't want customs issues to arise from carrying over 25 watches in my hand baggage and on the other hand I didn't want to leave watches in a safe deposit in UK, and partly because I was offered a very significant watch, which in the end didn't materialise.

In order to reduce my collection to 15 (Including 3 my wife wears) I had to to be quite solidly disciplined. I think now on reflection, most of the watches I can live without. However I really wish I had not sold the Zenith Doublematic. I will definitely be replacing that one. I must say that it surprises me somewhat that I miss the Zenith so much.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    partly because I was offered a very significant watch, which in the end didn't materialise.
    Sorry to hear that Tim. Too late or just wasn't there as promised? :(

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    However I really wish I had not sold the Zenith Doublematic.
    That's the only regret I have not buying from you on SC!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Sorry to hear that Tim. Too late or just wasn't there as promised? :(

That's the only regret I have not buying from you on SC!

The deal producing the watch never happened in the end.

The Doublematic could easily be my go to everyday watch. I will buy another.

Banned
    Letting this one go was the hardest decision of the year.

In the big scheme of things, taking into account the quality, VFM and uniqueness it would have to be this SKX007 military mod :

Yep one of the nicest 5513's I've seen... In the good hands of another fine forum member though..

I regret selling my Seiko FFF mod, and I might live to regret not selling one of my lesser worn watches when I could have.

Craftsman
    My only regret is joining this forum ...... I was perfectly happy with my Rolex Air King and now I have a list of about 20 watches I would like to try! Very costly mistake but I am enjoying it none the less.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Shouldn't have got rid of my 4 liner.
    Painful association but in the cold light of day getting rid of something with sentimental value because of aforementioned associations was a bad bad mistake.

Blog Entries
    I really liked my Venus sub and my Lip nautic ski, they both went as I was determined to keep the amount of watches down, something I don't regret doing...

I also had a wonderful Bremont that I enjoyed very much, but, I was offered a nice deal for it against a Nomos by local watch shop (Stewarts)... I wanted both, but, apparently wanted the Nomos more and it's now my favourite watch... So, light niggles, but, no regrets...

Last edited by Wolfie; 1st January 2015 at 13:44.

Master
    No watch regrets in 2014, although I probably did accrue a few too many watches for my wife's sanity. As a result, 2015 may (or, if I can get away with it, may not) be a year of selling more than buying. Ask me again in a year's time...

Journeyman

Angry

Dropping my freshly regulated (to 8spd) SKX007 mod onto the tiled floor.

Timing now all over the place and a massive ding on the lug.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Without doubt it's these two for me.

Maybe sell one...but both? What was I thinking?

OMG please tell me you didn't sell the one on the right? I nearly wet myself seeing it.....

Craftsman
    Mainly missing out on deals in SC, just too late! Need to check threads more each day, and be more decisive.

2014 is the only year since 2007 I haven't actually bought or sold a watch! Couldn't find anything that really took my fancy , however the Explorer 2 has really grown on me and hope a used one will be my first purchase of 2015.

Master
    none for me really although i did sell a watch for the first time in order to pay for my DSSD. i always intend to keep what i buy but i wasnt going to be able to afford the upgrade without trading the explorer2 in. i may well buy another at some point but it will take quite a bit of saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Yep one of the nicest 5513's I've seen... In the good hands of another fine forum member though..
    That's the problem of late, the prices for vintage have gotten so damn high. Even if you paid a small fraction originally, the amount you don't sell it for is like buying it for that price. Example would be your Sub, maybe bought for 2k 10 years ago and your grail was/is a sweet AP. Today your watch is worth some serious coin and gets you a whole lot closer to your grail AP. Funny dilemma no?

Blog Entries

first selling this was crazy

Selling this, I really liked it and reckon will have another someday.

And lastly my biggest regret of the year was buying a watch for my wife.

Craftsman
    2014 was a busy 'watch' year for me & no purchases planned for 2015 - unless Basel throws something stunning (& affordable!) at me!!!

out...

in...

& no remorse or regrets at all!

Happy new year to all! :)

Banned
    Should have bought this from the outset not been off my wrist for 2 months

The other's have not left the safe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not buying an early Bremont that I was kindly offered second dibs on after I spunked the cash towards a holiday. Highlights of the Holiday include:

Protests in HK
    Delays at the airport in HK
    Wife slipping in the airport on arrival in Bali, ending up in hospital with 14 stitches in her face.
    Driver getting lost with no phone signal in the paddy fields trying to find our hotel.
    Phone stolen by a pick pocket.
    Lost my wedding ring.
    Sat on wet paint ruining my favourite shorts.

Should have bought the watch and stayed at home.
    Last edited by Middo; 4th January 2015 at 12:03.

Master
    Joining this forum may have been a mistake.

Sold one, bought three (well two really, haven't handed over the cash for the third yet but deal agreed).

2015 will see the collection reduced to two. Probably.

Master
    No selling regrets but The seemingly common problem for watch enthusiasts of taking too long to decide to buy a watch that ends up being a very good deal and then selling in the mean time. Should I be more trusting, never been burnt yet, but there's always a first time.