closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex and Titanium watches

Rolex and Titanium watches

As far as I am aware Rolex has never made a watch in titanium whereas for the likes of Omega and Breitling titanium is seen in their premium non precious metal sports watches.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Rolex hasn't gone down this path? I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks a titanium Sub would be awesome
    Last edited by ryanb741; 5th January 2015 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    As far as I am aware Rolex has never made a watch in titanium whereas for the likes of Omega and Breitling titanium is seen in their premium non precious metal sports watches.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Rolex hasn't gone down this path? I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks a titanium Sub would be awesome
    Would that be a Pelagos with a Rolex movement dial and handset?

Blog Entries
    We (WIS) are not the real customer base base for Rolex.

The average Rolex buyer still wants his/her watch nice and shiny.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

Daddel.
    That's true, but I have also wondered about the absence of Titanium in the Rolex range.
    Modern bright Titanium similar to that used by Omega and Grand Seiko would be a lovely alternative to SS.

Blog Entries
    Maybe titanium is too modern material for them?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    That's true, but I have also wondered about the absence of Titanium in the Rolex range.
    As was pointed out, it is not absent but offered to a different group of clients under a different flag in the Rolex company range.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Modern bright Titanium similar to that used by Omega and Grand Seiko would be a lovely alternative to SS.
    I love my Dia-Shield titanium Seiko's.

But it's quite difficult and expensive to refinish.

And Rolex can do wonders with a good polish of their 904L, even on a heavily used watch.

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Would that be a Pelagos with a Rolex movement dial and handset?
    Oh and of course 3 x the price.

Grand Master

Even the ones that are brushed?

I'd have thought a watch buyer looking for something large, flash and noticeable would skip right past Rolex and head for Omega, Breitling, IWC... All wissy brands that sell watches by the foot!

Because high-grade stainless steel is the best material available for making watches. Nothing else is as durable, repairable and good-looking. I appreciate titanium, but I'll take stainless over it any day for a normal-sized watch.

I suspect that Breitling, Panerai and others use titanium because so many of their watches are so damn big and bulky. Rolex's design doesn't need the weight reduction to make it wearable (the excessive 116000 excepted, and even that has titanium in its construction).

So yes, they do use titanium and they use it well, but it's not necessary for anything except their novelty diver's watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Even the ones that are brushed?

I'd have thought a watch buyer looking for something large, flash and noticeable would skip right past Rolex and head for Omega, Breitling, IWC... All wissy brands that sell watches by the foot!
    My neighbour is THE average Rolex buyer, and he certainly likes them shiny.

Daddel.

I expect weight is an issue as well. The average customer wants something hefty in their hand to just the cost.

Master
    Evolution, not revolution... yawn!

DSSD caseback is Titanium which I think is their first and only use of it. It's a start perhaps.

A 'Rolexed' Pelagos would be a fantastic watch.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I expect weight is an issue as well. The average customer wants something hefty in their hand to just the cost.
    The Pelagos is actually pretty hefty (as is the Seamaster PO) in Titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    DSSD caseback is Titanium which I think is their first and only use of it. It's a start perhaps.

A 'Rolexed' Pelagos would be a fantastic watch.
    Their HEV's are Ti :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Steel is better. Harder. Shinier.

The Pelagos is actually pretty hefty (as is the Seamaster PO) in Titanium.
    The weight of the Pelagos was one of the things Imhad against it. My old Ti SMP's were fantastic, and you'd forget you had a watch on your wrist.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Their HEV's are Ti :)
    So they are, thanks!

Quite a few seem to be speaking for the 'average customer'.
    Who is this mythical character?
    People buying a Rolex are a heterogenous group. The myth that their average customer is someone buying a watch because it is recognized and shiny and showy is a myth,IMO. Sure there are some who buy a watch for these reasons but that they constitute the vast majority of non WIS Rolex buying population is an erroneous belief.

I like titanium watches and have several (Aerospaces, SMP Ti, GP Sea Hawk Pro 3000) but steel always looks 'smarter' than titanium's gun-metal's sleekness. For that reason I can see why Rolex concentrate on steel.

Master
    Brushed steel perhaps, but titanium can take a polish just as well as stainless steel does, except hardly anyone bothers to go the extra mile and do so, bar Seiko and Citizen.

Apprentice
    I heard a story from someone once that Red Adair had a titanium rolex watch.

Red Adair wore a Gold Day-Date

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Brushed steel perhaps, but titanium can take a polish just as well as stainless steel does, except hardly anyone bothers to go the extra mile and do so, bar Seiko and Citizen.
    If we're talking about extra miles, then the polished grade 5 ti from Omega is as good as it gets.

And Omega. Easy to forget the Swiss of course ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post

And asbestos underwear!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    And asbestos underwear!!
    He’d need them if he came on here with a gold Rolex. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

And Certina....

Polishing titanium is not that special/difficult.

Banned
    I'm sure some believe that only 200 year old Japanese elves trained in the ways of Katana can polish titanium.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I'm sure some believe that only 200 year old Japanese elves trained in the ways of Katana can polish titanium.
    No, nobody believes that, it's only in your mind, and has, again, nothing to do with the thread.

Daddel.

Banned
    No, nobody believes that, it's only in your mind, and has, again, nothing to do with the thread.

Daddel.
    I thought you had left the forum last year? I guess it was just another one of your porkies.

Blog Entries
    I thought you had left the forum last year? I guess it was just another one of your porkies.
    You obviously can't read.

So, best wishes Cap, and don't let it get to you, you are an angry young man as it is.

Ta,

Daddel.

If you like your watches to look shiny and new, Ti isn't for you. Unless treated in some way, it quickly forms a dull grey patina of titanium oxide, which creates a nice satin finish (and very effectively prevents against corrosion, because it is corrosion). It's also very soft and marks easily, which suits those of us who want to look as though we're industrial divers, not jewellery addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    If you like your watches to look shiny and new, Ti isn't for you. Unless treated in some way, it quickly forms a dull grey patina of titanium oxide, which creates a nice satin finish (and very effectively prevents against corrosion, because it is corrosion). It's also very soft and marks easily, which suits those of us who want to look as though we're industrial divers, not jewellery addicts.
    Grade 5 keeps its polish and is much harder than grade 2 which was previously used.

Banned
    You obviously can't read.

So, best wishes Cap, and don't let it get to you, you are an angry young man as it is.

Ta,

Daddel.
    Perhaps you might get more enjoyment from the forum if you did not follow me around trolling my posts

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The myth that their average customer is someone buying a watch because it is recognized and shiny and showy is a myth,IMO. Sure there are some who buy a watch for these reasons but that they constitute the vast majority of non WIS Rolex buying population is an erroneous belief.
    True; 'myths galore' is the Rolex nickname ;-)

Last edited by Huertecilla; 6th January 2015 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    True; 'myths galore' is the Rolex nickname ;-)

And, Pussy Galore is the nickname for Rolex haters club? Sounds appropriate!

Master
    Grade 5 keeps its polish and is much harder than grade 2 which was previously used.
    Thanks for that as I've often wondered what was so special about grade 5 and why Breitling used it on the aerospace.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    It's perfectly possible to have a polished titanium watch. Longines did one 15-20 years ago. To keep it shiny it needs polishing just as much as stainless steel does. In the flesh it's a slightly darker metal, which should come as no surprise:

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    If we're talking about extra miles, then the polished grade 5 ti from Omega is as good as it gets.

If that's as good as it gets, then it looks like they need to try harder – you won't see the distortion on a Grand Seiko like you do there on the Omega.
    Not knocking Omega or bigging up Seiko – just pointing out what can be seen by anyone if they choose to notice.
    It may be a small point that other aspects of either brand are more important to the individual, but still one nonetheless.
    Last edited by PJ S; 6th January 2015 at 17:49.

Must admit the new SM 300 Master coaxial in ti that I bought on Sunday has terrific finishing, the best I ever had though was my Grand Seiko Snowflake (sadly departed) that was made of titanium but had such an incredible polishing job done that it 'zinged' more than the brightest SS watch. How on earth Seiko can achieve that level of finish I don't know *they call it 'Zaratsu' polishing based on century old techniques for polishing samurai swords but whatever they did it was terrific

Banned
    If that's as good as it gets, then it looks like they need to try harder – you won't see the distortion on a Grand Seiko like you do there on the Omega.
    Not knocking Omega or bigging up Seiko – just pointing out what can be seen by anyone if they choose to notice.
    It may be a small point that other aspects of either brand are more important to the individual, but still one nonetheless.
    I'm not sure what "distortion" you are referring to, also can you tell me if the GS use grade 5 ti or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Must admit the new SM 300 Master coaxial in ti that I bought on Sunday has terrific finishing, the best I ever had though was my Grand Seiko Snowflake (sadly departed) that was made of titanium but had such an incredible polishing job done that it 'zinged' more than the brightest SS watch. How on earth Seiko can achieve that level of finish I don't know *they call it 'Zaratsu' polishing based on century old techniques for polishing samurai swords but whatever they did it was terrific
    There you go, you were right.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    There you go, you were right.....
    🙌😜

Daddel.

Master
    I'm not sure what "distortion" you are referring to, also can you tell me if the GS use grade 5 ti or not?
    Black reflection to the right of the crown, it's hard not to see it.
    Titanium grade that Seiko uses for the GS models? Don't know, don't care.
    If it's something you're genuinely interested in knowing, for whatever reason, then the CS team in Japan will be only too happy to assist in furnishing you with that info.

Of course, that assumes the titanium alloy Seiko uses is identical in composition to that which Omega and others do – they may not be, and it's that, with the polishing technique employed, which creates the distortionless mirror appearance they've become renowned for since the introduction of the Ananta International range, almost a decade ago.
    Last edited by PJ S; 6th January 2015 at 19:23.

Banned
    Black reflection to the right of the crown, it's hard not to see it.
    Titanium grade that Seiko uses for the GS models? Don't know, don't care.
    If it's something you're genuinely interested in knowing, for whatever reason, then the CS team in Japan will be only too happy to assist in furnishing you with that info.

Of course, that assumes the titanium alloy Seiko uses is identical in composition to that which Omega and others do – they may not be, and it's that, with the polishing technique employed, which creates the distortionless mirror appearance they've become renowned for since the introduction of the Ananta International range, almost a decade ago.

If you are taking a low res photo as evidence of a lower quality of finish, then I will leave you to it.

As for the Grade 5 ti, if your watch does not have it, you don't have the best, the "sounds just like a golf" tv ad springs to mind.

Master

I'd like to know too. If I can point it out to the salesman in the Omega shop perhaps I can get %50 off or more, just like Grand Seikos?

I have a GS diver in polished Ti and Omega PO in Ti. Omega wins IMO as far as the finish goes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I have a GS diver in polished Ti and Omega PO in Ti. Omega wins IMO as far as the finish goes.
    Thanks for the reply, however you might have induced a bouts of Seppuku and Harakiri among the devoted.