closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first Russian...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Sorry to de-rail, but if this is a serious statement, it’s just plain stupid.

Price aside, two choices, for a sole every day watch.

Vostock or Rolex Submariner.

There is no advantage for choosing the Russian.

(ps: I have several Russian, but only two Swiss)

Anyway, off out to buy a Belstaff jacket.

I would rather wear a Amphibian than a Rolex, so I'm obviously an under achiever too!
    Out of interest what Russians do you own?
    Last edited by barryw; 3rd January 2015 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Thanks for that perspective. That is a really smart looking watch!
    It does not per definition money take, to proper watch make.

Just back from the UK and my soviet design monocoque tool watch received awe from tech dudes.

Meanwhile my Meranom shipment is in the post office. Can't get to it before Monday, IF on Monday. Tuesday I will be at the coast so probably Wednesday
    Which model is the monocoque one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Agat

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I would rather wear a Amphibian than a Rolex, so I'm obviously an under achiever too!
    Ah, another stupid person from the "army of underachieving followers"

The forum thug will be along presently to teach you the error of your ways

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Just curious to know what couple of Russian's he owns as I thought he'd got ridden of his Russian tat.

Banned

I resent the term used, I just hate utter rubbish being forced down the throats of others.

However, how a thread on these watches can go on for so long, is anyones guess, but I will stand by by statement, price aside, no-one would choose a Russian in place of a Submariner. Harp on all you want, but any answer to the contrary is simple garbage.

As for what I own, I’m unsure, they’re either at the repairers, or in a drawer somewhere.
    Last edited by burnsey66; 3rd January 2015 at 13:11. Reason: Added Vital Information (Yawn)

As to be expected and just as rude as ever

Master
    I resent the term used, I just hate utter rubbish being forced down the throats of others.

If you read again, preferably slowly, you’ll realise barryw was supporting your cause.

However, how a thread on these watches can go on for so long, is anyones guess, but I will stand by by statement, price aside, no-one would choose a Russian in place of a Submariner. Harp on all you want, but any answer to the contrary is simple garbage.
    I agree there's no comparison between the two watches, worlds apart in fact and I've owned a sub, it was lovely watch, anyone says different are kidding themselves.What i do like about the Vostoks is the honesty and history of the Amphibians and tool like looks,the way the watch was designed makes them truly unique.I am genuinely interested to know what Russians you own?
    Why do we constantly feel the need to put the brand down, I don't go on a Rolex thread to rubbish them so why on here?

Banned
    As to be expected and just as rude as ever
    Truth hurts.

As for rude, read your posts.

As for show this, that and the other, I can't be bothered. I've not rubbished the watches, it's the whole thing about the comparisons made and the stance some people take. Whatever I say, or show, my point will never reach home, so I'll leave you all to appreciate your watches.

I wasn't aware that liking watches was a binary choice of Rolex or Russian tat. The comparison between the two is ludicrous, I'm not sure why anyone would come into a Russian watch thread with seemingly the sole intention of rubbishing the watches and them running off elsewhere to label us an army of underachievers.

What is it? Insecurity? You need to look down your nose at others to feel that you've achieved something?

Burnsey, every now and again you raise a laugh, every now and again you contribute a gem. Mostly though, you revel in trying to cause conflict.

Truth hurts.

As for rude, read your posts.

As for show this, that and the other, I can't be bothered. I've not rubbished the watches, it's the whole thing about the comparisons made and the stance some people take. Whatever I say, or show, my point will never reach home, so I'll leave you all to appreciate your watches.
    Perhaps you just bring out the worst in people?

Anyway, many thanks for leaving us all to appreciate our watches

I've not rubbished the watches
    Oh?

But you make a remark, tongue in cheek or not, about one of their beloved pieces of tat and you're a t**t
    And that's one of the tamer quotes.

Also, no one called you any names, you managed to come up with that one all by yourself.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Papa Hotel;3374245]Oh?And that's one of the tamer quotes.Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Oh?

And that's one of the tamer quotes.

Also, no one called you any names, you managed to come up with that one all by yourself.
    That quote wasn't on this thread. We can all quote out of context.

If you follow my posts here, the point I was making was against Cilla's beating drum, which came to a conclusion half way down page two.

I don't hide behind the fact I think the watches are crap, but that wasn't the aim of my input. That is obvious if you've ever handled one.

Now, I've said I'm done, but others are now fanning flames. But that really is me. Not because I'm without a valid argument, but because I'm having a day out with wifey.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Indeed the Agat:

The 343 192/195 reissues
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=agat+zlatoust

Four divers

Shocking experience
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...g-lantern-post

The 343 191 original

As you can read in the review, the reissue has a befitting all Russian engine inside which is an on par achiever. I bought one at the low Rubles option as a reserve. It can do for decennia without any attention and then I will have the choice of service or engine swap, either for beer money.

As for the interrude : Imo these watches are for those who don't need a wrist accessory to 'be' whatever. Those who have the freedom to enjoy all of horology on equal terms.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 3rd January 2015 at 14:22.

Master
    so although you wouldnt want a rolex you would be happy to own a homage to one?

that seems odd.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    so although you wouldnt want a rolex you would be happy to own a homage to one?

that seems odd.
    Only because you don't know how I got it and because 'you' need to take it all WAY less seriously just like I do. It was given to me as a present by a gf with vanity dial as a joke exactly because of the Bond/Nato/etc image thing.

Here a link:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-good-just-FUN

It is a proper watch which I wear with fondness. At present it ticks on a Tropic, which reminds me that I should take a photo of it. Later; at present I am trying to coax the 20th C. pc to download the snaps from the trip to London.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 3rd January 2015 at 14:53.

Master
    Only because you don't know how I got it and because 'you' need to take it all WAY less seriously just like I do. It was given to me as a present by a gf with vanity dial as a joke exactly because of the Bond/Nato/etc image thing. It is a proper watch which I wear with fondness. At present it ticks on a Tropic.
    i should have included a winky smiley or something, i dont take it particularly seriously (although to be fair buying of watches and the research that goes with it does seem to take up a lot of my time online!). i just find it amusing to see such a hater wearing a copy/fake of that which he hates and extolling the virtues which are a copy of that found on the original.

edit:

thats an interesting link and it is interesting about the eta movement too.
    Last edited by poppy; 3rd January 2015 at 14:57.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    i i just find it amusing to see such a hater wearing a copy/fake of that which he hates
    Ah, THAT is where you are going up the wrong trail.
    There is no 'hate' not even dislike involved at all.
    I think pre say eighties Rolexi quite pleasing watches if one takes the present associated image thing out of the picture. I do not hate that image thing either btw. I just do not want to be associated with that.

The gold print 6538 is for me a milestone model in the image department and as such a GREAT watch to wear a homage to.
    For me the gold option marks the transgression from dive tool into the luxury area. When the date with cyclops is added the move is imo complete.

For the rest the HR6538 is imo a very pleasing/satisfying to look at high quality watch which wears comfortable, especially on the Tropic and the ETA is as accurate as is reasonable to expect form anything wiggly spring controlled.

For anything more on the subject I suggest we continue in that thread.

Master

For anything more on the subject I suggest we continue in that thread.
    Of course, sorry to all concerned for the brief de-railling of the thread. i think ive learned all i need to though.

Master
    Some nice 'under the microscope' shots here ... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/vo...cs-806092.html

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Some nice 'under the microscope' shots here ... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/vo...cs-806092.html
    Thanks for that one.

It pretty much is the definitive answer and the original poster sums it up just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Interesting photos it certainly does look rough up close. I had a Konandirskie and a couple of Amphibia's out of all of them I prefer the "scuba dude". There are a few decent rubber straps worth picking up on eBay with colour stitching.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Interesting photos it certainly does look rough up close.
    The point being that the movement looks pretty good actually and in the light of the price very, VERY good.

Master
    Can't say about the movement but as said print on the face is rough to say the least.
    They still look good with my eyes and that's the main thing :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Can't say about the movement but as said print on the face is rough to say the least.
    They still look good with my eyes and that's the main thing :)
    There is a criterium for the level of perfection; the magnification at which we see imperfections. The good to the average human vision is level zero.

The point being that the movement looks pretty good actually and in the light of the price very, VERY good.
    No it isn't the point, that's your opinion something you seem to endlessly confuse as fact. There were 54 photos on that thread many of them of the dial and hands and they looked rough as hell.

Change the record.

Excellent pictures!

It looks pretty good to me

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No it isn't the point, that's your opinion something you seem to endlessly confuse as fact. There were 54 photos on that thread many of them of the dial and hands and they looked rough as hell.

Change the record.
    Indeed change the record and get realistic.

Everything looks rough when you magnify it far enough. Even Grand Seiko.

That is why it is good to objectify it a bit.

The modern Russian era Vostok dials are not the sharpest one can buy. No argument there, but what do you expect for beer money and a pretty decent mechanical movement inside. Oh and ALL in house.

You want it sharper? Buy all means, buy something sharper. The vanity dial in my HR6538 alone cost about as much as three Ruble option basic Amphibians. Worth it? The gf paying for it thought so.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Excellent pictures!

It looks pretty good to me
    Ah but then you have perspective

There is a criterium for the level of perfection...
    What does a bicycle race have to do with anything?

Indeed change the record and get realistic.

Everything looks rough when you magnify it far enough. Even Grand Seiko.

That is why it is good to objectify it a bit.

The modern Russian era Vostok dials are not the sharpest one can buy. No argument there, but what do you expect for beer money and a pretty decent mechanical movement inside. Oh and ALL in house.

You want it sharper? Buy all means, buy something sharper. The vanity dial in my HR6538 alone cost about as much as three Ruble option basic Amphibians. Worth it? The gf paying for it thought so.
    Utter rubbish,

I mention a dial you babble on about a movement, you talk of perspective on a watch forum yet can't see the fault in a watch with a poorly made dial?

You endlessly talk about "beer money" Watches (beer doesn't cost Ł30) and "In house". (Zarya are cheaper by the way but don't let that stop you).

Contrary to your delusions you are not the be all and end all of Russian watch knowledge far from it. There are many of us here who have been buying Russian watches long before we had the misfortune to read your endless nonsense about "Real watches"

How about taking that massive chip off your shoulder about Swiss watches so Russian watches can actually be discussed good and bad without your boring one man crusade.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Not very classy Sir

Utter rubbish,

How about taking that massive chip off your shoulder about Swiss watches so Russian watches can actually be discussed good and bad without your boring one man crusade.
    I suggest you look up the Brooklyn Bridge Panerai and see how the base ETA in that was finished.

Your attitude btw illustrates with surgical precision why I want to stay clear of association with modern day Swiss luxury image.

I suggest you look up the Brooklyn Bridge Panerai and see how the base ETA in that was finished.

Your attitude btw illustrates with surgical precision why I want to stay clear of association with modern day Swiss luxury image.
    I already know of it thanks and here is the remarkable thing, that gets discussed to this day by watch enthusiasts why? Because they like discussing watches the good and the bad.

Odd thing is when the accuracy of a Vostok or the quality of the dial gets brought up its all "Perspective, beer money". And other pointless sound bites.

You talk of image but it's you who is obsessed with image not someone who has a Swiss watch or someone who has a Russian watch for that matter, I have both thanks. Why else would you bring up Panerai? Why else go on about Swiss watches? Why else try and stamp out any discussion other than "beer money, perspective, real watches"

On a past thread on the Seiko SARB someone mentioned the dial was poor. I have a SARB and you know what I did? I didn't say "Well the movements good, beer money". I went and had a look for myself and asked them to post a photo of the movement. You know why? Because I have an interest in watches not proving some daft point only you understand.

That's not a chip you have its an oak table and chest of drawers.

Master
    Slightly OT regarding the Sarb, we're still waiting for photos!

Slightly OT regarding the Sarb, we're still waiting for photos!
    Dial and hands on mine appeared fine even under light.

Nicest Vostok dial I had was a metallic blue but just couldn't get used to the oval type case of it. If it had a round case it would have looked a lot better IMO especially with one of Eddies canvas straps. Lume was also very good and that seems to be a major complaint with Vostok. I seem to have struck lucky as all of mine were pretty good.

FFS, it's only a bloody watch!

It arrived today and looks better than expected. Just waiting on an 18mm NATO to be delivered.....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Utter rubbish,

I mention a dial you babble on about a movement, you talk of perspective on a watch forum yet can't see the fault in a watch with a poorly made dial?

You endlessly talk about "beer money" Watches (beer doesn't cost Ł30) and "In house". (Zarya are cheaper by the way but don't let that stop you).

Contrary to your delusions you are not the be all and end all of Russian watch knowledge far from it. There are many of us here who have been buying Russian watches long before we had the misfortune to read your endless nonsense about "Real watches"

Very well put.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool cheap digital crap lover

Anyway; today I have my freeform SDGA as beater on the wrist.

The dial under the micro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nH7e8CsESc

Here is an excellent Amphibia thread

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/sho...as-491664.html

Journeyman
    Here is an excellent Amphibia thread

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/sho...as-491664.html
    Thanks.

Here's why the thread was started....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Looks really cool. Like the nato too!

mine on a sharkskin type strap

Looks good on that NATO!

Certainly worthwhile thinking about a 'boris' bezel and matching insert.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    mine on a sharkskin type strap

Lovely watch but is this a Komanderskie? The reason I ask is that it doesn't have an Amphibia crown.
    Looks great though and lovely colour dial.

Lovely watch but is this a Komanderskie? The reason I ask is that it doesn't have an Amphibia crown.
    Looks great though and lovely colour dial.
    Or Amphibia hands. And the case is similar to a 420 but the ends of the lugs are a bit angular.

Edit: Komandirskie 35 case, Amphibia dial and bezel.
    Last edited by Papa Hotel; 9th January 2015 at 17:36.

Looking good!

The Nato suits it I think

Looking good!

The Nato suits it I think
    Agreed.

Mr Velorum didnŽt you order one of the 420 SEs?

IŽd be very interested in your take on it ,if so, when it arrives...

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agreed.

Mr Velorum didnŽt you order one of the 420 SEs?

IŽd be very interested in your take on it ,if so, when it arrives...
    Indeed I did. Last I heard it was at the International postal distribution centre in Moscow. This was on the 5th so perhaps it is a bit nearer today!

I have a brown vintage style leather strap waiting for it