closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Seiko/Southampton

Grand Seiko/Southampton

I am very close to purchasing one if my grails, a grand seiko quartz

I have a reservation and that is the second hand alignment, im not worried if its slightly off but i could not live with it being as bad as a Seamaster i looked at on Weds for my fiancee, so for this reason i am worried about purchasing online

I have heard they are available to buy in Southampton? What sort of price difference am i looking at compared to Creation (i think I'm looking at around £1800 with fees)

The alternative at this time would be an Aqua terra quartz from Charles Fox in Bournemouth, would any sort of discount be achievable (normally manage 10%min in Goldsmiths)

Any help and advice would as always be appreciated, also any good recommendations on any great bargains around for my budget

Exciting times

Banned
    I'd look at an online AD with a decent returns policy. If it doesn't hit,it's markers, send it back.

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect.../subcat-quartz

I'd call and haggle.

Craftsman
    I don't know who the GS seller in Southampton is, however, Jura Watches are a GS AD. Their website shows the UK MRRP for these watches. Quartz watches are £2000 - £2500 for the regular models with some LE at £4000+. HTH.

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect.../subcat-quartz

Edit: Oops, beaten to it!

Cheers! Has anyone been successful haggling over the phone?

I was passing Pickets and Pursers the other week and glanced in the window - six grand for a Seiko!!!!!!!??????

Couldn`t believe my eyes..

http://pickettsandpursers-southampton.co.uk/watches

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I was passing Pickets and Pursers the other week and glanced in the window - six grand for a Seiko!!!!!!!??????

I have sent them an email enquiring about prices and range in stock, would like to get my hands on one before i spend that sort of money

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

Good job you are not looking at the Spacewalk model then, or a minute repeating Credor ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Good job you are not looking at the Spacewalk model then, or a minute repeating Credor ;)
    Or a mass produced Rolex/IWC/Omega.
    Can you imagine the embarrassment of having the same £6K watch as your surrounding neighbours?
    You'd like to think that sort of spend buys a modicum of exclusivity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Can you imagine the embarrassment of having the same £6K watch as your surrounding neighbours?
    It's like cars on driveways.

The sensible BMW's and Mercedes, versus the pillock who bought the Lexus.

But hey, his wallet come resale will feel the comfort of exclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

So anyway can we keep the bickering to the numerous other threads..cheers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    So anyway can we keep the bickering to the numerous other threads..cheers
    Why is it bickering? It was just a response to the post above, but the GS buyer does often display strange tendencie when greeted with reality.

Enjoy spending your money.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You do realise that yiour comment is head on at odds with showing you can afford it?!
    Same as per the utterly miser's investment Rolexi...

The ludicrous contradiction of mass produced luxury exclusivity extended to fake being able to afford them.

Why is it bickering? It was just a response to the post above, but the GS buyer does often display strange tendencie when greeted with reality.

Enjoy spending your money.
    Listen, i have no interest in arguing about brands and i certainly don't fancy debating anything especially as i know far less than all of you

Your post was quoted in my reply which was unfair and i apologise as i was not taking sides just asking for my thread to stay on track

I just fancy looking at and potentially purchasing a watch

Banned
    Listen, i have no interest in arguing about brands and i certainly don't fancy debating anything especially as i know far less than all of you

Your post was quoted in my reply which was unfair and i apologise as i was not taking sides just asking for my thread to stay on track

I just fancy looking at and potentially purchasing a watch
    Fair enough, but don't let the fanboys (another has now joined the discussion) influence your purchase.

My initial reply was to assist your hunt. The one which 'wobbled' the thead was not mine. I am actively seeking a used GS at present.

Please note, as a real fan of watches, it makes me worry somewhat, a buyer cannot purchase a £2k plus watch online, in fear of it not operating correctly (hands hitting markers).

Fair enough, but don't let the fanboys (another has now joined the discussion) influence your purchase.

My initial reply was to assist your hunt. The one which 'wobbled' the thead was not mine. I am actively seeking a used GS at present.

Please note, as a real fan of watches, it makes me worry somewhat, a buyer cannot purchase a £2k plus watch online, in fear of it not operating correctly (hands hitting markers).
    Sorry i am not sure what you mean in the last paragraph, am i worrying over nothing? Is it unlikely the grand seiko quartz will have this problem?

I was under the impression it was pot luck

Banned
    Sorry i am not sure what you mean in the last paragraph, am i worrying over nothing? Is it unlikely the grand seiko quartz will have this problem?

I was under the impression it was pot luck
    Unfortunately this element puts many buyers off. At £2-6k, I'd expect every watch leaving the manufacturer should operate correctly. The fact it is pot luck is why the opinion outside of their country of origin (excluding the fella in Spain) will differ. Your approach is spot on.

Unfortunately this element puts many buyers off. At £2-6k, I'd expect every watch leaving the manufacturer should operate correctly. The fact it is pot luck is why the opinion outside of their country of origin (excluding the fella in Spain) will differ. Your approach is spot on.
    I agree totally and it is the reason i walked away from a Seamaster in Goldsmiths on Wednesday, i have been lucky with my quartz so far and couldn't believe my eyes (second hand was so unacceptable)

From now on every quartz i purchase will be purchased in person no matter how expensive

Banned
    I agree totally and it is the reason i walked away from a Seamaster in Goldsmiths on Wednesday, i have been lucky with my quartz so far and couldn't believe my eyes (second hand was so unacceptable)

From now on every quartz i purchase will be purchased in person no matter how expensive
    Good luck and don't forget an update.

Good luck and don't forget an update.
    Cheers will do

Master
    One thing the Grand Seiko quartz models are renowned for, by design of the movement, is hitting the markers spot on.

One thing the Grand Seiko quartz models are renowned for, by design of the movement, is hitting the markers spot on.
    That is encouraging

Master
    Spend time researching the GS quartz 9F movement and various discussions about your concern.
    It's been covered a number of times already on Watchuseek and/or Timezone, if not here.
    I'm surprise you've not done so, given you've narrowed your choice down to one.

YouTube has a few videos that you may find interesting and useful to your decision-making.
    Last edited by PJ S; 26th December 2014 at 17:22.

I wouldn't think any item at certain price points buys exclusivity. I'd hope the OP is not looking at obtaining any exclusivity in their stated choice. But... If you think any £2k+ watch does not come with a certain level of exclusivity, then you are fooling yourself.
    It's just a matter of time...

Spend time researching the GS quartz 9F movement and various discussions about your concern.
    It's been covered a number of times already on Watchuseek and/or Timezone, if not here.
    I'm surprise you've not done so, given you've narrowed your choice down to one.

YouTube has a few videos that you may find interesting and useful to your decision-making.
    I have researched and read various threads discussing the problem which is why i am planning to see the watch before purchase, i am however no expert

Craftsman
    If I was buying a GS quartz (which I hope to do at some point) I would buy via Higuchi in Japan and ask him to check the hands hit the markers before sending. Saves lots of money and widens hte choice. It seems that the hands are usually perfectly lined up on GS in any case.
    Last edited by momentum; 26th December 2014 at 18:51.

Craftsman
    I agree entirely. It's insane that for such a huge amount of money, It can't be expected to be flawless.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    If I was buying a GS quartz (which I hope to do at some point) I would buy via Higuchi in Japan and ask him to check the hands hit the markers before sending. Saves lots of money and widens hte choice. It seems that the hands are usually perfectly lined up on GS in any case.
    Unfortunately, after pressure from Seiko, many Japanese dealers (including Higuchi) won't supply GS watches to the EU.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    I agree entirely. It's insane that for such a huge amount of money, It can't be expected to be flawless.
    I agree. I have a JDM Citizen Promaster Land which is not super cheap (about £400 in Japan) and it has a movement which ensures the hands are always properly aligned even after an impact which could knock them out of alignment. I think any mildly pricey quartz should have something similar.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Unfortunately, after pressure from Seiko, many Japanese dealers (including Higuchi) won't supply GS watches to the EU.
    Bit of a flaw in my plan! That sucks though. Would be fine if the prices weren't so muh higher in the UK.

Quality mate!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just to reassure the OP, I've had four 9F GS quartz watches and all of them have hit the markers bang on. I think it's something that has been specifically engineered into the movement design, based on a vague recollection of reading something maybe about this at some point. It's a safe bet in my opinion.

I'd be looking at Japanese sellers on eBay though. UK AD prices are high and in my experience non negotiable. Not to say that they definitely aren't negotiable, before some tool jumps in trying to start a fight (this is a GS thread), just that it hasn't been in my experience.

Craftsman
    Do yourselves a favour (financial) and buy one from Yahoo Japan, http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/s...=auc_adv&f=0x4

You should be able to get a decent one for less than a thousand pounds delivered, including paying VAT. I have bought a quartz and auto GSs using Yahoo.

Use Chrome to auto-translate, estimate delivered price using http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/estimate/...ang=en#resArea. Use http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/ to buy. Just make sure to check the wrist length.

The GS Seikos are powered by the finest quartz movement commercially available and the seconds hand will line up, end of. Buy it via Japan using eBay and PayPal for the best deal and protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The GS Seikos are powered by the finest quartz movement commercially available and the seconds hand will line up, end of. Buy it via Japan using eBay and PayPal for the best deal and protection.
    eBay Japan specifically or general ebay dot com?

In a (probably) futile attempt to get the thread back on track, and to answer the original question:

Picketts and Purser in Southampton (in the High Street, a short walk from the West Quay chav magnet shopping paradise, and conveniently close to Parkhouse, stock Grand Seiko, and as they aren't exactly having to keep prospective buyers in an orderly queue with the aid of sharp sticks, are both happy to allow prospective buyers a good grope of the goods, but (in my experience) open to a haggle.

So go and have a look and a chat. Do your own negotiating, and either leave with a warm glow and probably the best quartz watch currently available, or go home and do some internet shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    eBay Japan specifically or general ebay dot com?
    Good luck with Ebay Japan. The only thing is Yahoo auctions i think.

Master
    I bought a new GS quartz earlier this year unseen from a reputable company in Japan. It did cross my mind that hand alignment may be an issue but my fears were unfounded and it's perfect. I think the extra level of workmanship and quality control ensures they're spot on.

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 27th December 2014 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    In a (probably) futile attempt to get the thread back on track
    Totally agree: don't get ripped off buying in the UK. Even better, buy used and not new!

I think these are the cheapest ADs, http://www.machtwatch.co.id/jam-tang...o/grand-seiko/, if you really want to buy new. http://www.watchrecon.com/?user_name=poloz&last_days=0

Have you tried contacting Seiko UK and asking them how they resolve problems/faults if you are worried about buying from abroad?

Another thing to consider is the Citizen, less popular than the GS but seems to be built to a higher spec. I have not come across any online problems with them (stand by now for someone to do a search just to find a problem with one)

Have to say though if you really are that concerned why pay 2k anyway? I have never understood why the likes of GS have this problem when a £50 Pulsar doesn't. Citizen have some decent Quartz JDM watches very well built, perpetual calendar, etc for about £600.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Have you tried contacting Seiko UK and asking them how they resolve problems/faults if you are worried about buying from abroad?

I have never understood why the likes of GS have this problem when a £50 Pulsar doesn't.
    What problem does the Grand Seiko have?
    Have you read all of this thread?

As for Seiko UK - 1 year international warranty when bought from an AD, so nothing to worry about.

As for Seiko UK - 1 year international warranty when bought from an AD, so nothing to worry about.
    Did you actually read all of my post or just that selective bit and then seek an argument?

Apparently this thread is not the be all and end all of discussion on GS Quartz! Wow who would have thought that!

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japan...30/topics/7422

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/gra.../topics/312292

As for Seiko warranty thank, I already know that having 3 Seikos the OP probably doesn't, is probably also unaware that Citizen have a longer warranty too. Problem is, Many Japanese AD are stopping selling to the EU so if he does buy cheap it won't be from an AD (Therefor no warranty)

You do understand the concept of impartial advice don't you?

Master
    Not all ADs exist solely in Japan, Robert!
    Yes, Citizen has an excellent warranty - but has anyone with a Grand Seiko wished theirs had a similarly long warranty?
    Warranties are only of use if you actually need them, and from what I'm aware of, The Citizen and Grand Seikos tend not to go wrong, so there's little point in worrying about something there's hardly ever a need to make use of.
    And that's presuming the OP isn't thinking of going pre-owned from Japan or elsewhere.

I am looking for a gs.... I think I will be buying mine abroad..... Fingers crossed it all goes well...

Had a very interesting reply from Picketts and Pursers and if i hadnt blown £620 this morning on a impulse sale purchase id be rushing up there

You cannot leave it like that :)

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    You cannot leave it like that :)
    ;)

I had a reply about a model i have my eye on with a decent discount off rrp so hopefully i will go and take a look soon

Blog Entries
    I have owned 5, and they were all dead perfect on the markers. It's a "feature" stated on the GS website. I have however read about examples that we're not 100% on the markers, so if you purchase online, just ask the seller to check that the alignment is 100%.

Not all ADs exist solely in Japan, Robert!
    Yes, Citizen has an excellent warranty - but has anyone with a Grand Seiko wished theirs had a similarly long warranty?
    Warranties are only of use if you actually need them, and from what I'm aware of, The Citizen and Grand Seikos tend not to go wrong, so there's little point in worrying about something there's hardly ever a need to make use of.
    And that's presuming the OP isn't thinking of going pre-owned from Japan or elsewhere.
    Yes I know there are AD's all over the world but the point was a GS is a lot cheaper to buy from Japan even factoring in the import tax he would still be saving several hundred on buying from the UK. Problem is that door is increasingly being closed leaving only the grey market so no warranty. As for having a warranty well you could say pretty much the same for any brand but when things go wrong, you will be glad its there. I have had a Seiko bought from abroad where there was a problem, bought from an AD and Seiko UK sorted it. Wonder how they would feel if it was grey market?

If you are buying Japanese I think Citizen have a few over GS one the warranty and secondly the perpetual calendar which I think is a big plus on a quartz. I have also seen less comment about seconds hands not hitting on a Citizen than a GS. GS may be the WIS watch of choice but there are more than one option out there, also if seconds not hitting is something the OP is not too concerned about then just go with the original Omega or better still, look for an Omega or Tag that doesnt have that problem and save yourself the headache of buying from the unknown.

Third option is the Citizen Attesa or Exceed. Europe radio controlled (Unlike a few Seikos) perpetual calendar, titanium/Duratect case, 5 year warranty and about £1500 cheaper than a GS. Thats money to buy a good quality highly accurate Japanese quartz and change to buy one of those evil pre-owned Swiss mechanical watches.

If you buy grey market and there is a problem then Seiko will repair it but you will need to pay for it. Seeing as the fee to repair a quartz watch is likely to be around £100 or so vs the £500+ saving from buying from Japanese grey dealers then surely that's a no brainer?