Gray

This Deep

:lol:

Wohoooo Just got promoted :D

Grand Master
    Definitely like the Sub the best :D

Ming

Master
    I really love that Mil Sub. Is it the same movement as the 5513?

It's a 1530, and the watch itself is coming up for 30 years old. It now spends most of it's retirement in the safe.

Fantastic Grant. Thanx for posting.

JD
    THIN is the new BLACK

Re: This Deep

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpilot

:lol:

Wohoooo Just got promoted :D
    Thought I'd "quote" you so we can all dribble again. If you ever think of selling it one or two here might be interested :mrgreen:
    Gray

Master
    No doubt. I think more than a few would be more than happy to buy that watch. :wink:

I couldn't sell this watch, it was given to me by a very close friend when i was warned off to deploy to Iraq last January. He was issued the watch in the mid 80's and wore it during the 1st Gulf war, Bosnia and Kosovo. Prior to him i believe the watch was issued to the SBS and may have been used during the Falklands war, i only have his sayso on this but as i said he is a close friend and so i've no reason to doubt him.

Master
    Oh cool. So you were in Pristina? I was at Bondsteel for several months. Spent the last half of my tour out of Monteath in Gjilan. Worked a lot with the RMC. When were you there?

I was there for 2 weeks in December, we were working out of slim lines. Bondsteel was one of our favorite stops for lunch.........(and shopping) :lol:

Master
    I know. Everyone came to Bonsteel for the DFAC and the PX. :lol: You know they were talking of pulling the soft drinks at the DFAC? My team and I would sit there and watch Russians, Greeks, Italians, and the French load up there bergens with our soft drinks and sandwiches. :roll:

Flew in a Russian Helicopter with some RMC guys one time. (Unofficially) :wink:

Good times. That was a while ago. Two and a half years since I got back.

As a matter of fact I just told Ming earlier about my R&R in Sophia, Bulgaria. Crazy trip.

Any photos?

You were brave going in a Rusky helicopter, when they used to come into sprinfield ops (Banja Luka), they all seemed hungover. I havn't got any pics myself but i'll try and find some at work 2morrow.

Master
    I tried to leave when they started the engines up. Flames shot out on both sides, and I told my Commander there was no fucking way I was getting on that bird. The pilot was even a freaking Cadet. I was glad the RMC boys were all LEGS (Low Energy Ground Soldiers - non-airborne) when I saw there was a single parachute. Not that it would have done any good at tree top level in the mountains. :evil:

Grand Master
    Mmm...I love it when flames shoot out from properly functioning engines.

Saw this TVR in town the other day - the mixture was set so rich that it had blue flames shooting out of the exhaust pipes every time the driver prodded the throttle slightly...

Ming

Master
    I don't think the helicopter's engines were properly functioning. :? Rough ride to say the least. I'll stick to Blackhawks and English speaking pilots.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindbender
    I don't think the helicopter's engines were properly functioning. :? Rough ride to say the least. I'll stick to Blackhawks and English speaking pilots.
    Oh okay. :? Hmm...I'll stick with overrich carbs on TVRs... Nevertheless, it was a nice thought whilst it lasted :D

Ming

Craftsman

welcome Grant....

I'm a little slow to join the party here, but welcome....have found your posts quite interesting so far. Took my first ride in a Homeland Security (Customs) UH-60 Blackhawk here in the states recently, with a couple of Desert Storm veterans at the helm...they showed me just what that thing can do over the Everglades....and I was hooked! Hope to ride along every chance I get. Sad that we are loosing the 'hawks so regularly in Iraq... :evil:

And that watch is gorgeous; the bond strap also really sets it off. Don't you guys find a GMT function handy when flying, though? And how about lume?

Steve

Hi Steve,

yes the GMT function is good as it's easier to set and tell the time in local and zulu (normally standard planning time). I had only just got my GMT Master so i was a bit reluctant to take it to the gulf, so as well as my milsub i took my SD, you can see me on the left wearing the SD with my Pilot on the right with an issued Seiko chrono.

Photo taken at Al Amarah towards the end of the war.

All home safely.

Craftsman

nice collection

I remember seeing the pic of you 2 guys on another forum several months ago.....amazing how this "little community" spreads, eh?

Grand Master
    Hello Grant,

I recognized the pictures too. I remember the discussion it sparked, about the usefulness of GMT and a date function on a mil watch. That was very intersting for me, as I have a fancy for mil. and aviation watches in aprticular, and I had that hunch that the date function was actually more useful than the inane reply of some of the MWR regulars "when a soldier needs to know the date, he will be told."

Welcome aboard again, and I hope you enjoy the time you spend on this forum! I am glad you are here :D

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")