closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question about U Boat

Question about U Boat

One of the chaps working for me in my team wants to buy a U - boat, budget up to £3k. He knows I love my watches and wanted my advice as to the best model to buy.

So my question to you all is this - do I fire him now or wait until after New Year?

Master
    Now, no point in giving the chap false hope..

Banned
    Please post the contact details for your boss. I think you need sacking

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    One of the chaps working for me in my team wants to buy a U - boat, budget up to £3k. He knows I love my watches and wanted my advice as to the best model to buy.

So my question to you all is this - do I fire him now or wait until after New Year?

Banned
    Not a lot of love on here for U-Boat, so be prepared for that!

I had a really cool looking U-Boat once, had to move it on when money was tight, took a massive hit - be prepared for that too!

Seriously though if your mate likes them, and doesn't have any other nice watches in a collection that show how ridiculously big U-Boats are, or heaven forbid actually uses it for its purpose - diving! Then yeah its great, id recommend them.

I had a limited edition U1001 in blue, amazing looking thing, although very rare I know a retailer with one in at the moment (no affiliation).

Here's the one I had....

Sandwhich dial and amazing detail all over, much more than the rest of the range.

Master
    Tell him to save his money and buy a TW steel or one of the other brands of very similar oversize watches.

I own, the classico 45mm model cream dial, and to be honest I actually love it. I know most people on here don't like the brand, & i admit some of there other models are 'ones only a mother could love'. Luckily i got mine from a grey dealer in New York, worked out to 1/2 the price of retail here. Would be my advice if purchasing one again.

Last edited by McBeardy; 27th December 2014 at 11:59.

Nothing wrong with U-boat. It's an expensive fashion product, same as 90% of watches posted on this forum, and if you like the look and don't mind spending the money, absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's really no different than spending many thousands on "professional" dive watches, or many dozens of thousands on gold watches, etc.. If he likes it, it's all that matters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Nothing wrong with U-boat. It's an expensive fashion product, same as 90% of watches posted on this forum, and if you like the look and don't mind spending the money, absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    Here we go again.

There's one thing that's definitely "wrong with U-[B]oat" - the name.

U-boat is the anglicised version of the German word U-Boot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-boat

I did not realise U-Boat watches were that expensive. If I had £3000 this brand would not be on my list of options. Sack him!

Master

Sack!!

Sack him now as he may infect the rest of your team and don't give him a reference either!!😄

Chris

Journeyman
    U-boat = not high end

Actually, I really don't care enough.
    Last edited by adigra; 27th December 2014 at 14:03. Reason: No point.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd beat him. Then sack him. Then beat him again.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Tell him to save his money and buy a TW steel or one of the other brands of very similar oversize watches.
    I love my tw steels. I would however not spend 3k on a u boat. Give him a tw as an alternative. Their well made other than perhaps the second hand not hitting the markers how i think they should.

Master
    I wasn't slagging TW Steel. They do what they do and to a price that's not unreasonable. They're just not for me. I wasn't using the term "over sized" derogatorily, although I could see how it might be perceived as such.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bademester View Post
    U-boat = not high end
    £3K = not high end.

Craftsman
    At the end of the day, if he likes it then he likes it. One thing I would say, is ask him whether he has anything already which is as big as a U-Boat.

A few of my first watches were 45mm and above, but fairly quickly I reslised that I found the size and weight quite annoying. I was lucky in that they were Tissot, Festina and Steinhart so it didn't cost me a fortune. A U-Boat would have been a much more painful learning experience.

maybe direct him to cheaper alternatives as a "test drive"" if he isn't already used to the dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Please post the contact details for your boss. I think you need sacking
    One rather suspects the OP is displaying behaviour of someone who's his own boss!

Craftsman
    Bonesey - no offence taken. I took it as i said a good alternative. Mine are the 45s as 50s are far to big for my taste.☺

Make him your boss/ turn over your company to him. Don't wait till new year.

too big and ugly for me

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    £3K = not high end.
    I think they added £2k to some of the prices, after Brad Pitt was snapped wearing one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I had a classico left hook in carbon graphite and I thought it was a fine watch.
    Sold it on to a friend of mine who test drove it for a month and basically couldn't let it go again.

I think they are nice enough things and put them in the same category as Bell and Ross.

If you have a reasonable collection of differing watch types and styles I think its totally acceptable to have a U-boat in there if you like them.

I also rarely see them out in the wild compared with other makes and they usually get a lot of attention.

My B&R 03-92 currently does duty for the big watch side of my collection. If your friend (if he exists ) is interested in a U-Boat tell him to look at B&R too.

I remember when they were released as a kind of cheap (£300) response to the initial Panerai - fuelled watch size inflation. But £3000?! Seriously - there are loads of watches that look like that on market stalls for a tenner!

I desperately wanted a U-Boat a few years ago but could never justify the price. When I look back now I'm glad I didn't go for one as my tastes have changed. That being said, the TW Steels are a great alternative.

Master
    One word: utterly hideous

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    One word: utterly hideous
    That's actually two words

Journeyman
    I've got an all black Classico 45mm. Decent enough watch.
    Must admit it doesn't get much wear nowadays but still like it enough not to sell it on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I did not realise U-Boat watches were that expensive.
    Not their most expensive – I think they're asking £6K or 7K for a forged carbon model.

For £3K ish, he could play it safe with the likes of a Tudor or Omega (new/pre-owned depending on model) or if he's looking to make a bit of a statement, then a Jorg Hysek might be one option.
    Alternatively, there's always the Perrelet Turbine range or Ball Engineer Hydrocarbons.