closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Cosmograph Daytona

Craftsman

Question Rolex Cosmograph Daytona

I have just bought a Rolex Cosmograph Daytona :)

This one in fact: Rolex link

I bought it new, but it came from Italy. Whilst everything on the watch is in English, the instruction manual is not.

Does anyone have a scan of an English manual or a link to one please?

I have a few questions if anyone can answer please:

1/ Is there a typical number of hours this watch needs to be worn, before it fills its power reserve 100%?

2/ If I buy a watch winder, what is the best programme for it please? i.e. number of hours, any pause intervals?

3/ How can I adjust the bracelet very slightly? I don't mean the Easylink, but the little pin in the clasp, to make it a few mm bigger. Can I just press it with a sharp instrument?

Master
    1. just unscrew the crown, give it 40 turns and your watch will be fully wound.

2. No need to bother really, just follow 1 if the watch has been unworn

3. Yes, if you straighten a paper clip, it can do the job, or a nice quality cocktail stick.
    Pop on one side and move slightly to the right, turn 180 do the same and carefully 'drag' springbar towards your intended
    holes & they will just drop in, if you're careful. You could invest in a proper tool if you are so inclined.

Lovely watch, enjoy.

2.: 800 turns per day, bi-directional.

For a time-only watch, a winder is totally unnecessary IMHO.

It's got a cracking power reserve anyway of 72hrs from memory? How long it takes to wind the spring through wear is a totally unanswerable question; will it be worn sat still looking at a computer or are you active? A 5min run or 18hrs of watching TV would have the same effect.

Craftsman
    Thank you all. I appreciate the helpful information :)

The reason for the winder is that there are times when I don't wear a watch for a 3-4 day period, and I did not want to keep setting the time.

But yes, 72 hours is a long time so I can probably manage without a winder.
    Last edited by JasH; 19th December 2014 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    For a time-only watch, a winder is totally unnecessary IMHO.
    Except for a watch that is not worn every day and has a screw down crown. Constantly unscrewing and screwing the crown to set the time and give it a few winds takes its toll and replacing crown and tube can be costly, better to use a winder IMHO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Except for a watch that is not worn every day and has a screw down crown. Constantly unscrewing and screwing the crown to set the time and give it a few winds takes its toll and replacing crown and tube can be costly, better to use a winder IMHO.

Good point... I hadn't considered that.

I just got the watch, so will see how I get on with it for a couple of weeks. I will buy the winder if it stops.

Master
    Congrats.
    We will of course need pics...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Congrats.
    We will of course need pics...
    Will do :)

For now though, I left all the labels on - just to make sure it is accurate, before I remove them and "accept" it.

Congratulations.
    A great watch that overcomes its size.

Master
    Well, we could consider all the manual wind Rolex watches over the years which IMO seems to have done them no harm at all. It's a screwdown crown which the old 'Precision' pieces for example had a 38hr PR. So the watch would have needed to be rewound within that period. I can't remember any problem with unscrewing & screwing the crown back for daily winding.
    It's a bit of a myth IMO, although happy to be corrected.

When I bought my 1982 Air King the thread was on its last legs (half a turn to screw and unscrew) so needed a new crown and tube. Another, admittedly cheap, diver's watch which was my weekend beater - so crown unscrewed once a week - had the thread stripped within a year.

I let the autos in my rota die when I'm not wearing them and just set the time/date when it's time to visit my wrist. I admit, however, that I hadn't considered the potential wear on the crown tube if you did this regularly.

Master
    Constantly unscrewing and screwing the crown to set the time and give it a few winds takes its toll and replacing crown and tube can be costly, better to use a winder IMHO.
    A piece of sophistry if ever there was one.

It will soon become hearsay and then 'internet fact'.

Not sophistry, personal experience. Read post n° 12.

When I bought my 1982 Air King the thread was on its last legs (half a turn to screw and unscrew) so needed a new crown and tube.
    So an obviously unserviced watch needed a crown and tube after 32 years (Rolex would have changed it at service)? Which cost what, vs the cost of several watch winders and the running of them for 32 years?

Your call OP but this rather proves the point that the watch can be unscrewed, wound and set regularly. If you leave it 32 years between services it may need a crown and tube at service, which would be replaced anyway at every service.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Congratulations.
    A great watch that overcomes its size.
    Thanks, but I am one of those in the minority who actually prefers this size. Had the Daytona been much bigger, or any thicker/chunkier, I very much doubt it would have felt right for me for daily wear in the office. I would not have bought it.

I never even considered Tags and Breitlings for this reason in fact (apart from the Carrera).

I like its size a lot, and think it is in fact fairly big. Rather big in fact relative to my previous daily wear watches though - a Gucci and a Rado.

I am loving the Daytona though. It looks and feels exquisite. Extremely happy with my choice, and glad I did not go for the MOP dial I was initially drawn to.

Craftsman

Your call OP but this rather proves the point that the watch can be unscrewed, wound and set regularly. If you leave it 32 years between services it may need a crown and tube at service, which would be replaced anyway at every service.
    I plan to try it a little while and see if my non-wear days cause it to stop. If that happens, I may well get a winder for occasional use.

For now, it is so new and beautiful I suspect I will wear it almost continuously

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    I plan to try it a little while and see if my non-wear days cause it to stop. If that happens, I may well get a winder for occasional use.

For now, it is so new and beautiful I suspect I will wear it almost continuously
    Yeah, we all know that feeling :)

Have a search for the picture of them with the end links and then it can also be put on a leather strap, gives it a VERY different look and helps with versatility.

Yeah, we all know that feeling :)

Have a search for the picture of them with the end links and then it can also be put on a leather strap, gives it a VERY different look and helps with versatility.

Master
    Not sophistry, personal experience. Read post n° 12.
    I have.

When I bought my 1982 Air King the thread was on its last legs (half a turn to screw and unscrew) so needed a new crown and tube. Another, admittedly cheap, diver's watch which was my weekend beater - so crown unscrewed once a week - had the thread stripped within a year.
    A very old Air King needed a new crown & tube (which it would get at service, anyway) and a cheap diver - a "beater" - needed a new tube in a year.

Neither of these facts support your assertion.

So an obviously unserviced watch needed a crown and tube after 32 years (Rolex would have changed it at service)? Which cost what, vs the cost of several watch winders and the running of them for 32 years?

Well obviously you know the watch I bought better than I do. When I bought it 5 years ago it was running at +4/5 seconds per day, so I thought it must have been serviced at some point; clearly I'm wrong.

Craftsman

Cool Pic

Thought I'd post a pic I snapped today of the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a great pic, makes me want to put my white SS one on when I get home!

That looks fantastic. i quite fancy changing mine (a white-dialled SS) for one, actually!

Craftsman

Kultschar & learningtofly, thank you both kindly :)

I nearly went for the MOP (mother of pearl) dial one, but decided on the steel dial one in the last days before buying. The MOP one was lovely but a little too flashy and cluttered. The steel dial had a simplicity and depth to it in relative comparison.

I also visited Rolex's European HW which is about half a mile from my home, today, and they gave me the English instructions for my watch. They were extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Kultschar & learningtofly, thank you both kindly :)

I nearly went for the MOP (mother of pearl) dial one, but decided on the steel dial one in the last days before buying. The MOP one was lovely but a little too flashy and cluttered. The steel dial had a simplicity and depth to it in relative comparison.

I also visited Rolex's European HW which is about half a mile from my home, today, and they gave me the English instructions for my watch. They were extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with.
    I know what you mean I have never been attracted to the Meteorite dial as not as clean but I'm prob in the minority there!!

Enjoy it!!! :)

Well obviously you know the watch I bought better than I do. When I bought it 5 years ago it was running at +4/5 seconds per day, so I thought it must have been serviced at some point; clearly I'm wrong.
    'Obviously'? I of course don't know your watch at all. 'Clearly' you're wrong... Why?

Regulated and lubricated by an indie perhaps? Might explain the good running but worn parts?

Parts are Rolex and Rolex accredited only and they'd change the crown and tube unless the owner specifically wanted to keep the knackered one fitted. People are strange.

Craftsman
    Such a beautiful watch.

Thought I'd post a pic I snapped today of the watch.

Just beautiful. But I also own a TT Daytona, so I may just be a little biased... Just a little, yeah.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
    Just beautiful. But I also own a TT Daytona, so I may just be a little biased... Just a little, yeah.
    LOL, doesn't mean you're not correct though

Amusingly, when I added it as a "specified personal item" on my insurance today, my insurer said that due to the value being so high (over their limit of £10k), it is only covered outside buildings when it is on me (which is fine). But it is also only covered inside buildings, including my home, if I am in the same room as the watch or it is in a locked safe! So I can't leave it in the bedroom for example, and leave the room

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Are these aftermarket end links from the US as haven't come across a UK or OEM solution yet and picture looks great

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Are these aftermarket end links from the US as haven't come across a UK or OEM solution yet and picture looks great
    Not from the US - they're from here.

Awesome Cosmograph, good choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not from the US - they're from here.
    Great - thanks

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Awesome Cosmograph, good choice.

Thanks Finch :)

Grand Master
    Its the only Bi-Metal I have lived with for a while, grows on you I have to say

RIAC

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Its the only Bi-Metal I have lived with for a while, grows on you I have to say
    There is light reflection/glare on the dial so it is hard to be sure, but is it a steel dial, identical to mine?

I do agree that the watch is stunning and well balanced in terms of steel and gold, and just on the right side of the line in terms of being too flashy. An easy daily wear watch for almost any occasion (except black tie)

Craftsman

Cool Film

I was looking for something about the movement, and stumbled across this fantastic little film. Coincidentally this watchmaker is just a few miles from my home!

http://youtu.be/-7rWZvPuQHk

Yep that's Tony Williams, as head watchmaker at Watchfinder you're unlikely to actually get him servicing your watch; however you could be lucky...

He did my Double Red 1665 as a personal project for himself and made a cracking job of it as well, ready for the next 40 years!