closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The value of value... and an incoming

Master
    Blog Entries

The value of value... and an incoming

Value.

It's a common word but one very hard to quantify, particularly when it comes to this hobby of ours.

Does value mean cost / functionality? I should say not. If it did, then we would all be wearing those terrorist spec Casio's at six quid a pop.

Does it mean cost / performance? Possibly, I mean, Seiko and the like are considered great value in terms of 'bang for your buck'. I love my SPORK and can't believe they can make a watch that good for a couple of hundred. Likewise Eddie's offerings, Sinn, Damasko and so on.

However, for me, value is defined, at least when it comes to watches as cost / enjoyment. This is a hobby for us all and without enjoyment, what's the point?

To this end, I will share with you two recent purchases. One expensive, the other good value.

Aside from the SPORK, my favourite watch of all time is the 16600. I know I'm not alone in that but I think it's the best model Rolex have ever produced. My first was an F serial 2004 model. Still own it now and it has become my everyday work watch.

So where as a watch collector do I go from here? To my mind, the ultimate incarnation of the SD is the COMEX. The argument of the value of COMEX will doubtless roll on forever but due to their involvement with the development of the HEV, and indeed the SD itself, along with their continued partnership with Rolex, they represent the top of the SD tree to me.

So which COMEX to buy? Well, I'm quite a strange soul in that I don't like vintage watches much. I hate aged lume much preferring the cleaner SuperLuminova dials of the later models. Only problem is, COMEX only made two SD's (in 2004), with a SL dial. I tried in vain to source one but to no avail :(

Whilst I was looking, a friend of mine mentioned to me that he had seen a COMEX SD on eBay for silly money. I had a look and it turns out I actually knew the guy selling it. It was a lovely thing and I bit the bullet and phoned him. Once we had sorted out the stupid asking price, I took a trip to Norwich and the deal was done!
    I remember feeling sick as I walked into his workshops. I couldn't believe the amount of money I was about to spend. The last time I felt like that was the first time I ever bought a 'proper' watch, A Breitling Chronomatic 49. I just admit though, it was a 'nice' feeling!

I came away with this:

A U Serial 1997 issue. As I said a lovely thing. Diver issued and wore it's scars with pride. I was a happy bunny.

But... there was that niggling feeling it wasn't what I wanted. As mentioned above, I love the later model, The 2004 model didn't have drilled lugs, had the SL dial and had a different HEV valve. All very little differences in the grand scheme of things but every time I put on the COMEX, it bothered me. I gave it a few months but still I craved an F serial. I had been in long term negotiations with a German reseller who had access to an F serial but he wasn't selling.

On the off chance, I stuck a WTB up on VRF and to my surprise, somebody emailed me saying they had a 2004 model they might sell. Turns out Rolex made three. This guy had obtained this model direct from COMEX and it was unworn. We exchanged emails, details were checked with experts and a deal was struck. Following a whistle stop visit to Paris, I was left with this:

A 2004 F Serial COMEX 16600.

I hate to use the word grail but I really think this qualifies. It isn't just about being able to afford something nice, it's about putting in the leg work and doing what it takes to make a deal.

Once back in blighty, I popped into St James' Square just to make sure everything was Kosher. The buyer was stand up and I'd sought advice from the best but fakes are so good these days, especially when all you've got to go on is a dial and case back, that I wanted to be sure!

So here we have my personal grail: F serial COMEX 16600

So back to the value element.
    Simple really. When I wore the '97 watch, a little part of me always wished it was an '04 model. That makes it an expensive watch.
    Now when I put on the '04, I grin from ear to ear. That, to me at least, makes it the best value watch I've ever bought.

Somehow, you've made us watch collectors look like nutters, and sensible in equal measure.

An excellent story, and a truly wonderful and unique example.

I don't hate you. ;)

The 16600 is my all time favourite watch, and you have my ultimate version - I'd like the Octopus dial Italian as well - but there is like and there is never have, and alas it will be the latter for me I fear.

That is just the nicest watch, and would do me as a one watch collection :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Putting value and Rolex in the same thread will only doom this thread to the ilks of Zilla.

Wow, great watch and a wonderful told story.👍👍

Congratulations, what a great story

It just goes to show what patience and many hours spending searching can unfold….

Do you know the diving history behind each watch?

Great story, congrats...........wonderful seeing it go to somebody who truly appeciates it...

Craftsman
    Showing my ignorance, but what's the difference between the two models, apart from Superluminova?

Great story, and a perfect illustration of how our community can obsess over minutiae that the average person would struggle to even see. But I get it. And if the '97 was going to gnaw at you and leave you feeling that you'd stopped short of acquiring the watch you really wanted, then (as marvelous as it might seem to the rest of us), it was a misguided purchase. Hats off to you for going for the gold and achieving the dream.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very very nice David , congratulations.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Now when I put on the '04, I grin from ear to ear. That, to me at least, makes it the best value watch I've ever bought.
    I couldn’t agree more. All too often on here we hear about monetary worth, yet importance to the owner is disregarded.

Enjoy your best value(d) watch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Putting value and Rolex in the same thread will only doom this thread to the ilks of Zilla.

Why?
    He puts it in perspective of the value of value itself. That is exactly how it IS and I congratulate him on scratching that itch.

Thanks for the great write up. A special watch and a great chase. I agree that putting so much effort in will give the rewards you deserve.
    What will you do with the 97?

Banned
    It's all about the chase.

No matter if you are buying for the first time from the AD with your hard earned, or have spent many hours searching and researching your grail, it's all about the chase.

Finding that special watch, car or whatever means more than just walking into a shop and buying it.

Great story. Great watch.

As opposed to, Just had to scratch that itch with Patek so I walked into Boodles and pulled the trigger on this bad boy.

Platinum Patek Philippe Annual Calendar Chronograph, it's shiny and heavy.
    Last edited by Fords; 16th December 2014 at 08:02.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    Showing my ignorance, but what's the difference between the two models, apart from Superluminova?
    Very little really.
    Drilled lugs and different style of HEV is about it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the comments chaps.

Not sure what to do with the '97 one yet. It's away at St James so it'll give me a while to ponder its future.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    It's all about the chase.

No matter if you are buying for the first time from the AD with your hard earned, or have spent many hours searching and researching your grail, it's all about the chase.

Finding that special watch, car or whatever means more than just walking into a shop and buying it.
    Quite.

I have that with

The watch the inventor of LCD is holding, which he designed/developed and which he sold me from his personal collection is the by far most appreciated watch in my collection though the intrinsic value is modest.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Very little really.
    Drilled lugs and different style of HEV is about it!
    Righto- well done you! It certainly is a grail, in terms of its value, its value to you and its rarity. Enjoy.

Craftsman
    Massive congrats Dave, the search is sometimes as enjoyable as the find!

Blog Entries
    Fantastic story Dave, I was reading it like a thriller at my desk at work :)

And, I'm a sucker for a good outcome......

Great to get your hands on something you REALLY wanted, we all know the "in between buys" that we really shouldn't have done, finally to admit there is only one.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    As a recreational diver, I now understand the meaning of the COMEX SD and all the magic behind.

To me, the accomplishment of being a watch addict is to end up with let's say 3 watches and wear them years and years. Especially Rolexes, they have to show marks of age which means you didn't left them in the safe.

Thus I am not yet wearing my Sub or SD under water but a Seiko MM300. But that's a joy and value comes with wearing them.
    Or I would say, the more I wear a watch, the less its value becomes important.
    Let's say that 1000$ over 60 days a year costs more than 1000$ over 120 days :)

Great watches !

Craftsman
    Great read..

What sort of price do these command in comparison to a non comex watch then?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Great read..

A lot! Great story Dave!

Master
    I don't know a thing about vintage / comex watches, other than they are highly prized, but one doesn't have to know about these watches to realise what a great post the OP is!

Congratulations!

So will you be selling the '97 one now to fund the '04 piece?

And I don't think it's rude to ask (since we're all watch enthusiasts) what is the cost on these - my passing interest seems to have given me the ball park of £40k, am I right?

Again, congrats!!
    Last edited by ach5; 16th December 2014 at 12:09. Reason: sausage fingers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    A lot! Great story Dave!
    Thanks that was informative 😳

I'm not asking what he paid just in comparison to a normal what we talking price wise,
    I'm new to watches and just trying to learn.

Master
    Great story and congratulations on getting the watch you REALLY want.

Good reasoning there and congratulations on finding such rare watches.

A REAL Grail story rather than "I got a whacking bonus and spent it at my local AD" for change

I take it the '97 is the one you showed me when we bought the Clio, rather than the '04?

M.

Master
    A grail of all grails - great post, really enjoyed the read.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A REAL Grail story rather than "I got a whacking bonus and spent it at my local AD" for change

I take it the '97 is the one you showed me when we bought the Clio, rather than the '04?

M.
    The 04 hasn't been with me long so it would have been the '97.

Thanks that was informative 

I'm not asking what he paid just in comparison to a normal what we talking price wise,
    I'm new to watches and just trying to learn.
    Talking money is a little bit gauche perhaps with something that has been bought due to it's importance, rarity and desirability rather than its cost. Do you ask everyone how much everything costs in real life?

Just Google it if you want a vague idea, otherwise with the greatest respect, it's none of your concern what someone paid for their watch.

Blog Entries

M.
    Did you buy my old green Clio? How is the old girl!

Great story and all the better for you keeping the first one too.

Did you buy my old green Clio? How is the old girl!
    Still going!

My son's still learning to drive in it, but he's had his money's worth out of it already.

M.

Blog Entries
    Still going!

My son's still learning to drive in it, but he's had his money's worth out of it already.

M.
    That's great! Hope the speed tape is still holding out? Good little runner!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Talking money is a little bit gauche perhaps with something that has been bought due to it's importance, rarity and desirability rather than its cost. Do you ask everyone how much everything costs in real life?

Just Google it if you want a vague idea, otherwise with the greatest respect, it's none of your concern what someone paid for their watch.
    Thanks for your reply, at no point did I ask him how much he paid!!
    I've read his excellent post and I am aware of the importance it has to him.

Do you always reply to people with such a snobbish and patronising response ?

"With the greatest respect" I wasn't aware I had to use google to answer my question opposed to asking on a WATCH FORUM where people share the same interests.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's great! Hope the speed tape is still holding out? Good little runner!
    All one big happy TZ family. It was a snip at only £3495... ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great read..

Didn't see this, sorry.
    It varies but if you have a look on Chrono24, you'll get a fair idea. The 2004 one is a little harder to value as they seldom come up for sale.

Blog Entries
    Nice one Dave... I remember when you got your first one... They look mighty similar to me, but, what do I know? The importance is that you know and appreciate the difference!!!

We collect for the big grin moment... Glad you got yours (your cheeks must be aching?!!!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Nice one Dave... I remember when you got your first one... They look mighty similar to me, but, what do I know? The importance is that you know and appreciate the difference!!!

We collect for the big grin moment... Glad you got yours (your cheeks must be aching?!!!)
    Not aching, just jowlly and stubbly...

Master
    Blog Entries
    What does comex mean?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I stand to be corrected but I believe it an abbreviation of Commercial Exploration. Or at least the French version.

Here is their website if your interested;

http://www.comex.fr/company0.html

Wonderful story, I admire your passion and perseverence. Wear with pride

Master
    Nice watch; but lose the logo. You could probably get a nice service dial quite cheaply from Rolex, especially if they took your old dial in P/X... Or you could trade it for a nice new SD4000. I could probably do a deal like that without even asking you for cash!

Master
    Fantastic post and a great read – thanks Dave.

I have to say, I saw your post on VRM and really didn't think you'd have a chance of finding one! Really glad you did though.

Also these may be tremendously expensive but I doubt you'll lose any money. I'd wager on you ending up quids-in in a few years' time, as is the way with "limited edition" Rolexes.

Having flipped and flipped and finally found the "one" for me I totally get that feeling – it really is great! Coincidentally, mine is a 2001 16600 – they really are great watches ;)