closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Royal Oak Offshore - what's the problem?

Journeyman
    Blimey - I feel very much in the minority here...but at the risk of fierce opposition...I love AP's ROO, especially the 44mm modern versions! In fact, after 20 years of privately collecting/selling watches I am looking forward to purchasing one next year. I have had Rolex's sport models, Omegas, Breitlings and Breguet. I currently have several larger diver models including the Omega Planet Ocean Titanium and Panerai 305. I aim to buy my 'Grail watch' next year and seem to have focused on the AP ROO as 'the one!' I have spent the last 12 months researching, trying on and considering....I'm sold on it and can't wait.

Strangely though - up until 12 months ago, I never had really considered AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I think this watch has been a victim of it's own success and the marketing image consequently spectacularly mismanaged. Ever since Georges-Henri Meylan conned Schwarzenegger in a hotel to advertise the Offshore for free (except for gifts of free watches) the company seem to think that celebrity endorsement will somehow make the watch appealing. Faux politicians and cheap rappers don't help the cause, they add to the demise of the reputation. They seem to have forgotten pedigree, the need for capturing a particular market and design evolution. Then there's the latest slogan. My God, that awful slogan: "To break the rules, you must first master them." This just proves the Swiss are still making great cheese.

AP have a reputation as being avant-garde and use the Offshore to spearhead that reputation with developing new materials, but a white ceramic watch only appeals to the cheap celebs I mentioned previously- or the type of Malibu wannabe who pines to join that club set. Endless Limited Editions after stating they were cutting back, design overhauls that completely change the DNA in some instances make my toes curl like Victorian Turkish slippers. The Survivor pusher guards look as though they're made from paperclips.

The detractors state it's not an inhouse movement, the dials are wonky, it's got a sunken date and the hex bolt at 10 is way out. For me, the newer ones have become a Hublot facsimile by offering a rubber strap instead of a bracelet. The Diver should be braceleted as standard. No arguments. In that price range and for being one of the top three it's compulsory.

But here's the thing: the original 42mm design is still refreshing and novel. When I see one in the flesh or online I still have to look and study. Study the edges to see if they're sharp. Study any scratches. Study the hex bolts to see if they're correctly lined. Check to see if it's steel or titanium. It still makes me sit up and pay attention.
    Agree only partially.
    There is so much to choose from in ROO range. Certainly, some models are ridiculous , particularly the celebrity endorsed ones
    But,am not sure why people choose to concentrate on the more outrageous ones.

And, the model/range is doing quite well. Is not a victim of anything. Not everyone wants a bracelet.

Craftsman
    I think this watch has been a victim of it's own success and the marketing image consequently spectacularly mismanaged. Ever since Georges-Henri Meylan conned Schwarzenegger in a hotel to advertise the Offshore for free (except for gifts of free watches) the company seem to think that celebrity endorsement will somehow make the watch appealing. Faux politicians and cheap rappers don't help the cause, they add to the demise of the reputation. They seem to have forgotten pedigree, the need for capturing a particular market and design evolution. Then there's the latest slogan. My God, that awful slogan: "To break the rules, you must first master them." This just proves the Swiss are still making great cheese.

AP have a reputation as being avant-garde and use the Offshore to spearhead that reputation with developing new materials, but a white ceramic watch only appeals to the cheap celebs I mentioned previously- or the type of Malibu wannabe who pines to join that club set. Endless Limited Editions after stating they were cutting back, design overhauls that completely change the DNA in some instances make my toes curl like Victorian Turkish slippers. The Survivor pusher guards look as though they're made from paperclips.

The detractors state it's not an inhouse movement, the dials are wonky, it's got a sunken date and the hex bolt at 10 is way out. For me, the newer ones have become a Hublot facsimile by offering a rubber strap instead of a bracelet. The Diver should be braceleted as standard. No arguments. In that price range and for being one of the top three it's compulsory.

But here's the thing: the original 42mm design is still refreshing and novel. When I see one in the flesh or online I still have to look and study. Study the edges to see if they're sharp. Study any scratches. Study the hex bolts to see if they're correctly lined. Check to see if it's steel or titanium. It still makes me sit up and pay attention.
    i would have to disagree with most of the first 2 paragraphs here. AP is a brand that has global presence and caters to a wider audience than the UK. Their marketing strategy is bold which attracts a certain kind of personality. unfortunately within that category cheap rappers and wannabe's will fall in as well but that's something that will happen when you go big.

The white ceramic watch appeals to alot of people out in the far east and being 9 times harder than the black ceramic - it has its engineering wonders too. the White is too loud for me but i have a few buddies that have pulled the trigger on it and i have to admit that it suits them and their style. To each his own.

Journeyman

Red face

👍 very well said!

As a watch lover,I know I'm supposed to like these, (like Patek) but I just don't find them attractive enough to buy. The fact that the singularly most unpleasant 2 people I've ever come across wear them doesn't help either!
    I have a friend with an AP Scuba thats quite nice, 42mm I think, but I'd sooner go for a VC Overseas/JLC/GO/Lange/ portugieser any day.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    As a watch lover,I know I'm supposed to like these, (like Patek) but I just don't find them attractive enough to buy.
    Hmm, not sure about that - we all like different things and plenty of people don't like Patek or APs designs, and why should they. The AP RO design is very 'challenging' to say the least.

Nice. Very nice and I agree with that. I find it's something I want to look at and something I want to wear.

I compared yesterday with the stanbdard 39mm ROC; the ROC is slim and elegant like my Nautilus, the ROO is not. And I guess that's what I want.

I think this watch has been a victim of it's own success and the marketing image consequently spectacularly mismanaged.
    I think this can be applied to many major brands,
    For example my OH and myself went out too choose a watch for her father's 60th, the plan was for something with a clean dial, steel, a daily wearer and not ostentatious. A Rolex would be the default choice for many for such a landmark age, and ticks most of the boxes (obviously i threw in oddball choices like a JLC Reserve de Marche & Reverso Duo), her mum on the other hand thought an Aqua-Terra was nice after getting the sales patter from the Omega guy. In the end a 214270 Explorer was chosen, as we all felt it would be the kind of watch he would appreciate and wear.

Here's the thing, prior to receiving the Explorer for his birthday he was vehemently against Rolex, and said he'd never own let alone wear one, this is from years of seeing the bling window tinsel that usually adorns jewelers windows, and dealing with the typical Rolex wearing stereotypes. (so there were a tense few days where my OH's mother was worried about the watch she had just bought).
    Now he's a changed man, he never realised there such a thing as understated Rolex, and is now able to appreciate the brand despite previous convictions. (he still hates the gold/plat/ceramic bezels & mop dials lol)

Same applies to AP, we see the iced out ROOs and the people they are attached too and are unable to look past and see the gems that lurk in the RO range. (or the other collections for that matter)
    The only differnce is AP is less recognizable to the average Joe on the street (at least in my experience), so one can get away with a subtle RO without looking like flash harry. (or you get asked "is that a Rolex?")

Same goes for a couple of other people i know who prior to owning a Rolex had negative feelings to the brand, but this then raises the question is it jealousy or a genuine reaction.

Even as an long term fan I have to agree with that.
    Although the Ceramics are made in partnership with Chanel i believe, hence chanel use AP's 3120 movement in some of their J12's. That said, its still a hideous material imho, and why the decided to make the abhorrent white ceramic diver is beyond me (the black ceramic is no better... but at least its not white!)

The detractors state.... it's got a sunken date
    At least the cyclops is under the crystal, and not glued on top :p
    Plus the detractors also think the Inner rotating bezel crown is a HEV, In all fairness there are probably ways for that crown to be more subtly integrated into the overall design.

For me, the newer ones have become a Hublot facsimile by offering a rubber strap instead of a bracelet. The Diver should be braceleted as standard. No arguments. In that price range and for being one of the top three it's compulsory.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying they have gone the Hublot way, as only a portion of the range comes as standard on a rubber strap, the rest have steel or leather as standard. (granted why would you have a gold watch on a rubber strap, and of course there is the point the case was originally designed to have an integrated bracelet)

What i would say, given the price bracket of AP, there should be an option for a bracelet or color matched croc, much like other companies have a choice of leather/rubber/steel at purchase time.
    Afterall, for the money involved being able to spec'up your watch make the experience a whole lot more bespoke.

Funny old world, made the decision to go for the Offshore... It sold on Monday. Guess I shouldn't have spent the week pontificating on here with you lot :(

Bizarrely I'm now looking at ROCs though...

Blue, white or black..? :)
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 17th December 2014 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Bizarrely I'm now looking at ROCs though...

Blue, white or black..? :)
    Blue dial, 39 mm, done.

The original Royal Oak design has considerable staying power. The chronograph version is a very good-looking watch in its own right, and works in almost any situation. Its F. Piguet 1185 integrated chronograph movement is high-quality and in full keeping with the Swiss ébauche tradition.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic watch and one that will be more appreciated than its 41 mm cousin in the future. FWIW, I haven't seen better-looking steel watches in the metal than the 39 mm RO series, and that includes the Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Blue dial, 39 mm, done.

The original Royal Oak design has considerable staying power. The chronograph version is a very good-looking watch in its own right, and works in almost any situation. Its F. Piguet 1185 integrated chronograph movement is high-quality and in full keeping with the Swiss ébauche tradition.
    It's a blue dialled 39mm watch I am looking at...

I am keen on the 1185 variant in this application, it's a very slim integrated chronograph movement in a very slim case; there was always the suspicion that in my Fifty fathoms, it was far too small for the huge case it was in! I do however wish AP had gone for a little more with it, like the big date of the VC Overseas Chrono. And I must admit I am still looking at those as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    FWIW, I haven't seen better-looking steel watches in the metal than the 39 mm RO series, and that includes the Nautilus.
    Not sure about that, as a complete Nautilus nut.

But I don't need it to be better or worse, just... different. Always nice to get up in the morning and have options :)

Not sure about that, as a complete Nautilus nut.

But I don't need it to be better or worse, just... different. Always nice to get up in the morning and have options :)
    Aye; the quality and the look is there with the Nautilus too, it's just that the RO's design pips it for me. I find that its crisp angles and flat surfaces work together exceptionally well to create a striking-but-subtle effect. It's different enough from the Nautilus' also-appealing-but-curvier lines that one could easily have both without too much redundancy.

The dice are rolling...

Master
    Funny old world, made the decision to go for the Offshore... It sold on Monday. Guess I shouldn't have spent the week pontificating on here with you lot :(
    What one sold where?

Did you miss my previous reply?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    What one sold where?

Did you miss my previous reply?
    I saw that one but I was looking at a freshly serviced mint one on bracelet for just over Ł7k. That's well over Ł2k and many months to put into the state I want with bracelet and service.

I was looking at one from the same place I bought my Nautilus in Germany.

Master
    Might be worth using that to negotiate on the one I linked to.
    Granted you'll have to wait on the bracelet, but it'll be brand new so not in need of any refurbishment.
    Does the one linked need a service – when was it last done?
    See what their own warranty stacks up, and how good a job they can do for €100 in polishing/brushing the case to remove whatever marks are on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Does the one linked need a service – when was it last done?
    See what their own warranty stacks up, and how good a job they can do for €100 in polishing/brushing the case to remove whatever marks are on it.
    It needs a new bezel minimum and that's a back-to-AP job, the dings on the edges won't polish out, you'd need to lose so much metal that the bezel would lose it's shape.

There are minters out there for far less than the cost of the watch plus bracelet plus AP service.

Anyway, currently haggling over a Royal oak Chrono at the moment!

Journeyman

Well said and I agree on many points!

BUT I still want one...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post

I personally find the ROO a bit too big, but I do like the regular chrono... Here next to my Sub.
    Thx for the comparison. The ROC looks much bigger than the sub. That's a good thing IMHO. The ROO is much bigger though as it is way higher

Journeyman
    Don't like them, they're very expensive for what they offer (especially the Royal Oak Diver)

I much prefer a Patek, vintage rolex, Jaeger lecoultre, FP Journe...

However, I can't deny that their design is iconic and unique.

Master
    Doesn't really matter if I like them or not (not particularly), they are far too big for my spindly wrists. Much prefer the RO itself

Craftsman
    My dislike of the Offshore has waned in the past year. The Safari, Panda and Diver are interesting for me now as what other choices are there for durable rugged sports watches that still have the class of an AP.

I think only the VC Overseas can match it.

How odd you brought this thread back to life; I was literally looking at ROOs a few minutes ago!!

Since the original posting I've owned a standard RO chrono and really found it to be a superb watch. Really not sure what I'd go for next time if faced with the teo of them.

Actually, maybe it's time to try the VC...

How odd you brought this thread back to life; I was literally looking at ROOs a few minutes ago!!
    This is lovely:

http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...i=7591828&pzt=

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think some of the offshore designs are way over the top. But then again you can't blame AP if someone like Floyd Mayweather wants something garish and is prepared to pay handsomely for it.

The only exception for me is the diver. I love mine to bits!

Craftsman

Since the original posting I've owned a standard RO chrono and really found it to be a superb watch. Really not sure what I'd go for next time if faced with the teo of them.

Actually, maybe it's time to try the VC...

The VC Overseas Chrono/Dual Time on rubber strap is very much a slightly lower profile option to the ROO. Both are 42mm dials. My mate did warn me not to sell my VC and yet I did !!

Tomorrow though I am welcoming in the one single watch I've always wanted to own, the latest 15202 with blue dial. I'm now accepting that my 15400 boutique edition with blue dial will likely make an exit and I think given I also own a 5711 I want a rugged sports watch with some class.

The ROO Diver with black dial might be it.

Very much what I'm looking at; an early piece without the mega-tapisserie dial. Even though I know GG was horrified by the Offshore, these early ones tend to have more of the 'right' feel about them IMHO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    Tomorrow though I am welcoming in the one single watch I've always wanted to own, the latest 15202 with blue dial. I'm now accepting that my 15400 boutique edition with blue dial will likely make an exit and I think given I also own a 5711 I want a rugged sports watch with some class.

The ROO Diver with black dial might be it.
    Not sure classy is the best description for the ROO Diver.
    You might want to revisit the VCO in the form of the Deep Stream...

Alternatively, you might just want to consider the Moser Pioneer or Girard Perregaux Chrono Hawk (although at 44mm and nearly 16mm it is probably too bulky).

Craftsman
    Oh my word I want my VC back !!!! I had the deep stream dual time and sold it. Like a fool.

Also I wouldn't call a ROO classy, but AP has class. So it imbues the ROO with some of it that a Rolex or similar lacks.