closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: what camera bag?

what camera bag?

would like to get a camera bag for my recently acquired nikon d5300. my requirements for a bag is: good quality, protective, sd card & remote shutter storage, can store extra zoom lens (flexible on this one). have done a brief search, but would like to know what you guys use/ or what you would recommend to me. would like a billingham, but a bit out my price range. looking to spend about £25

cheers,
    Ruben

I have several bags to suit differing situations. Amongst these are two from Kata, a shoulder bag and a backpack. The quality of materials and construction is superb. Ffordes have a used DC445 in stock, at £25. Whilst slightly larger than your requirements, it's always better to have room for phone, wallet etc rather than cramming stuff in a bag. If I need more room I use a Thinktank Retrospective 10, probably beyond your budget used, but the RR of camera bags. Here's a link to the Kata http://www.ffordes.com/product/14041613092631 You can also check out other bags here http://www.cambags.com/
    F.T.F.A.

I use a bag from a company called CRUMPLER . .? they have a vast range and I have found it superb, Very well made, Rugged and loads of choice , Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    I use a bag from a company called CRUMPLER . .? they have a vast range and I have found it superb, Very well made, Rugged and loads of choice , Worth a look.

I've also used Crumpler for smaller devices and they are indeed well made. You'll also find some of their bags on the Ffordes site. Ffordes used pricing can be a little wayward and you may even find a Billingham to suit!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    When I worked for an IT reseller we sold a lot of Crumpler bags just after they came to market in the UK. Some of the best build quality I've come across. I still use several now, many years down the line

Take a walk around local charity shops and ask if they have any tucked away. They often don't know what they have or what to do with them … should be able to find something for a fiver which could be a good interim bag. There will be lots listed in dealer sales after Xmas. You might even find some lenses in charity shops not priced up.

dunk

Craftsman
    +1 for Crumpler after upgrading from a Lowepro slingshot.

I've got a 7500 which has enough space and internal dividers for body with lens attached, spare lenss and filters, remote and a front pocket for wallet/ phone etc so would recommend going for the slightly bigger one.

I recently bought a Kata backpack with side access for my slr. I am guessing its too big for what you are looking for unless you want to lug around some lenses and accessories. I was drawn to the Kata because of the quality but also because it has a reasonable amount of space for belongings and even a laptop pouch.

Master
    I've got a fair few bags but most of the time I use my Crumpler "The Haven". It is in effect a padded insert that will close with a draw string. It means I can use my normal rucksac and just drop the camera and a couple of lenses in and go. Mine is a medium and holds my M43 OMD-EM5 kit but you would get a normal slr with a smaller zoom lens fitted in and maybe a couple more bits or lenses. I got mine from B&H in NY, an experience in itself, so it was a lot cheaper than the UK price but it is one of the best bits of camera bag kit I have bought.

Craftsman

Think Tank

Think Tank Are the ones the pros use

http://www.thinktankphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Think Tank Are the ones the pros use

http://www.thinktankphoto.com

Slightly more than £25 though :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Another vote for Crumpler. Very well made. The only downside is that they can be quite heavy for what they are (possibly a little over-engineered?)

Craftsman
    I second the suggestions for secondhand. There's loads out there that have never seen the great outdoors that can be picked up for your sort of budget

I picked up a Lowepro Fastpack 100 in a sale somewhere. Been very happy with that. At one point I was getting out on my bike to take photos so having the backpack was vary useful.

David

Master
    Have a look at the NEST Athena A20/A30 - UK Digital is the importer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have an as new Lowepro Slingshot 102AW sat in the loft that you can have for £15 + P&P

thanks everyone for all your advice, now sorted, with special thanks to dunk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rubeneski View Post
    thanks everyone for all your advice, now sorted, with special thanks to dunk
    Manage to snag a cheeky charity shop Billingham?

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Manage to snag a cheeky charity shop Billingham?
    ohhh i wish! dunk has sorted me out

Thinktank

Thanks to this thread I've just purchased a Thinktank Retrospective 7.

Really impressed with the style and quality so thanks to magrius and anyone else here who mentioned them!

Craftsman
    I have lowepro for the past 2 bags.
    Well built in my experience

Dave

Craftsman
    I've owned Crumpler and Lowepro bags of differing sizes, shapes and carrying abilities and IMO the Crumpler's are better made than the Lowepro's, but the Lowepro's are more customisable internally.

The last Crumpler I bought was a small one for my Fuji XE-1, which I got from eBay 2nd hand for £20. I recommend looking there - but be ready with the hoover when it arrives, as not everyone keeps their gear in great condition!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    I have lowepro for the past 2 bags.
    Well built in my experience

Dave
    I'm with you Dave. My Lowepro goes everywhere with me and gets used for all purposes.

Go Lowe!

Pretty soon you'll find that the best camera bag is actually your pocket, the one which can accommodate either Sony R100, Panasonic LX10 or Fuji x20/30

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thanks to this thread I've just purchased a Thinktank Retrospective 7.

Really impressed with the style and quality so thanks to magrius and anyone else here who mentioned them!
    For once a product that really is worth the money IMHO! I have bags of varying sizes from a Billingham 555 (for when I take all of my kit on holiday or for storing a lot of it at home) to a small Tamrac 5689 that holds my Canon G12 + a spare battery and SD cards, but it's the Thinktank Retro 10 that get used most and it still looks good despite the bashing about. Great choice there Kingstepper.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    If you can wait and are visiting the March camera show in Birmingham, there are usually bargains to be had, including on ThinkTank.
    Last edited by ism123; 7th January 2016 at 21:26.

I didn't want to start a new thread but I have a slightly different need to the OP.

I'm tempted by the billingham brand as I would like a bag for life but Ideally I want it to carry my Sony A7ii, 50mm prime and a 14" Laptop.

From my understanding billinghams' don't really cater for laptops bigger than 13" and I dont want a huge bag like the 555 to lug out when just doing a bit of street shooting.

Is there any models that I've not come across or brands that you could recommend that would last for a long time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I have an as new Lowepro Slingshot 102AW sat in the loft that you can have for £15 + P&P

A good deal. I've had one for years and it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread but I have a slightly different need to the OP.

I'm tempted by the billingham brand as I would like a bag for life but Ideally I want it to carry my Sony A7ii, 50mm prime and a 14" Laptop.

From my understanding billinghams' don't really cater for laptops bigger than 13" and I dont want a huge bag like the 555 to lug out when just doing a bit of street shooting.

Is there any models that I've not come across or brands that you could recommend that would last for a long time.
    my 15in MacBook Pro fits in my Billingham hadley large. i have the padded liner for the bag but hardly ever use it as it’s my man-bag/laptop bag and only gets a camera in it when i go on holiday. the fact it doesn’t lookalike a camera bag is a bonus.

Craftsman
    All the pros use Think Tank bags
    Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    All the pros use Think Tank bags
    Nuff said
    i use their roller case and airport carry on back-packs having tried various tenba/tamrac/lowepro/pelicase products over the years. they are my go-to bag for carrying lots of equipment. the billingham is fine for a wandering around with one camera/lens on holiday bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    my 15in MacBook Pro fits in my Billingham hadley large. i have the padded liner for the bag but hardly ever use it as it’s my man-bag/laptop bag and only gets a camera in it when i go on holiday. the fact it doesn’t lookalike a camera bag is a bonus.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try to pick up Hadley large but it seems to be discontinued in a lot of places which is making my colour combo of Sage / Chocolate hard to find. The only colour options I can get in my local store is grey black or khaki tan.

What colour is yours? I'm worried that once they get used and dirty the khaki or the grey will really show up the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try to pick up Hadley large but it seems to be discontinued in a lot of places which is making my colour combo of Sage / Chocolate hard to find. The only colour options I can get in my local store is grey black or khaki tan.

What colour is yours? I'm worried that once they get used and dirty the khaki or the grey will really show up the dirt.
    Mine is a light tan colour. I wanted darker but that was all they had and I needed to buy quickly, it's now grubby or patinated depending on your view. Mostly on the reverse from rubbing against indigo denim. I'm tempted to give it a scrub with a nail brush and a little bit of wool washing liquid. I do use it nearly every day though and most bags would have shown wear rather than dirt by now, the fabric they use is very tough.
    Annoyingly an older photographer I used to assist said "nice billingham, I threw 2 out last week as they looked a bit tired" much like submariners they do improve with age.

Master
    I got myself a Billingham 445 on E-bay a few weeks ago and have used it every day since, more so for traveling, where I can use it as hand baggage on flights. Camera fits in nicely, as does my Lenovo T430s in the laptop slot at the back. It's so easy to access using the leather straps.
    Can't recommend it highly enough.

Craftsman
    Add another vote for Crumpler, well designed and well made bags. Protective and practical.

I can't believe that no-one has mentioned Tamrac.

I've had both LowePro and Tamrac and would take the latter every time.

I've looked at Crumpler but they aren't really my style, might have to look at Thinktank though.

Cheers,

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I can't believe that no-one has mentioned Tamrac.

I've had both LowePro and Tamrac and would take the latter every time.

I've looked at Crumpler but they aren't really my style, might have to look at Thinktank though.

Cheers,

Mark C
    I did!
    Had a few of them over the years but now tend to look at think tank first if looking for a new bag.

I did!
    Had a few of them over the years but now tend to look at think tank first if looking for a new bag.
    Doh! missed that - thanks for the correction :-)

Mark

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I have an assortment of cases and holdalls. However, I would advise on buying the smallest you need. My reasoning for this is quite simple, if you get a big rucksack you will fill it. It then gets uncomfortably heavy to haul around so you will leave it at home. Most of the time, possibly 99%, I use my D800 with a 24-70 zoom. For this, I have bought a Thinktank Holster 20. Its a fantastic bit of kit, light, extremely well made but will carry a couple of spare batteries and cards. I also have a Lowepro Mini Trekker, which is a rucksack type pack, but I'm always tempted to put additional lenses, flash and other bits in. I know sometimes you need options, but I usually find I take stuff just for the sake of it, cos I can. I come back with a sore back then !!

Just my thoughts,

Stuart

Banned
    Blog Entries

Mine is a light tan colour. I wanted darker but that was all they had and I needed to buy quickly, it's now grubby or patinated depending on your view. Mostly on the reverse from rubbing against indigo denim. I'm tempted to give it a scrub with a nail brush and a little bit of wool washing liquid. I do use it nearly every day though and most bags would have shown wear rather than dirt by now, the fabric they use is very tough.
    Annoyingly an older photographer I used to assist said "nice billingham, I threw 2 out last week as they looked a bit tired" much like submariners they do improve with age.
    I managed to order the Hadley large Sage/chocolate online and so should be getting it by next week.

Pretty excited to see what the hype is about with Billingham.