closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Took delivery of a new pair of red wing 0875's a week or so ago and wore them today for their first outing.........OUCH!!!!! My feet are on fire.

These do get more comfy, don't they?!
    Yes you feet will develop hard skin where the boots rub, the boots will never give in.

Craftsman
    They will be fine, I tried a fairly long walk to break mine and suffered a little for it (impressive blister on my right little toe and on the knuckle of the left big toe) , then I opted for extended wear around the house, just letting the conform to my feet gently over a week. Now I can walk all day in them.

Took delivery of a new pair of red wing 0875's a week or so ago and wore them today for their first outing.........OUCH!!!!! My feet are on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    They will be fine, I tried a fairly long walk to break mine and suffered a little for it (impressive blister on my right little toe and on the knuckle of the left big toe) , then I opted for extended wear around the house, just letting the conform to my feet gently over a week. Now I can walk all day in them.
    I'll just have to bite the bullet and persist. Bugger me though, they have killed my feet today.

Blisters, pain, callouses and having to bash the insides with a stick are just your boots letting you know it was 200+ quid well spent ;)

Yep,
    For £200-£300 am I odd in expecting them to fit properly?

As with all Red Wing mocs they're narrow fitting, i gave up on them years ago, the chukka's are a far better fit although the qualities taken a nose dive from when i last bought a pair as there not leather lined and padded anymore

Grand Master

Spend half hour bending them and pressing the leather with your thumbs with them off

Then wherever they are rubbing put some vaseline on your sock at that area before you put it into the boot, the vaseline rubs into the hard leather and softens it (old Army trick)

Then just wear them to death, they will feel like slippers in no time and just get better and better daily
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument, but any poor fitting footwear will eventually fit perfectly if you give it long enough and are prepared to put up with the pain.

As they say in French 'il faut suffrir pour être belle' (you have to suffer to be beautiful).

Master
    I'm on my third pair of these. The most comfortable shoes/boots I've ever worn, but they don't last long. £150.

I wear them in rotation with other shoes, mostly Cheaney's. They can be sent to France for repair, but I never have. Too much bother.

Good, though.

Last edited by Tinker; 15th February 2015 at 11:15.

Craftsman
    Feels like spring boot time now!

Craftsman

Red Wings - What to treat with?

What's the best thing to treat Red Wings with? I've got the 875s and they're overdue a clean?

thanks

Steve

Craftsman
    Maybe not the purists choice but I like Timberland boots and picked up some in their sale, £180 to £90.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoc View Post
    What's the best thing to treat Red Wings with? I've got the 875s and they're overdue a clean?

thanks

Steve
    Any decent polish will do I just use a good clear polish or dubbin. Did you Mink oil them when new?
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Any decent polish will do I just use a good clear polish or dubbin. Did you Mink oil them when new?
    I used dubbin initially and now just clean up with Renapur leather balsam.

Blog Entries
    I swear by R.M. Williams Saddle Dressing, nothing better for sturdy oily leather IMHO.

Even for my French Paraboot............:)

Daddel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 16th February 2015 at 09:58.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I use Obenaufs for all things leather...

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/hardware/...y-duty-lp.html

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/hardware/ober-oil.html

Never used it myself, but have heard it's rather good...

http://www.dustbowlvintage.com/huberds-shoe-grease/

Or you could use what Red Wing recommend..

http://www.footwearcountry.co.uk/red...FWXHtAod4kkAoQ

Master

Everyone is going to have there own preference with something like this, but my new 875's are named oro legacy; It’s a full grain “naked” leather which I'm sure will exhibit great character over time.

What would be the best product for this type of leather initially? Would I need to use in conjunction with other products. Bit of a newb to this sort of stuff...

Master
    Renapur

Superb on:

• shoes & boots
    • polished leather clothes, furniture, including car interiors
    • dogs' paws
    • human skin (and Renapur do a specific human skin treatment)
    • unvarnished wood
    • bridles (but not stirrup leathers) and saddle panels

I've also used it on an old Barbour and on split fingers & thumbs.

Do not use it on watch straps. It can dissolve adhesives used in their construction.

Craftsman
    I have the same and am wondering what to treat them with too. I think I will go with the recommended redwing product which I believe is the All Natural Boot Oil http://www.redwingheritage.eu/EUR/care-products (undoubtedly there will be cheaper options, but I can't image that much is needed)

Everyone is going to have there own preference with something like this, but my new 875's are named oro legacy; It’s a full grain “naked” leather which I'm sure will exhibit great character over time.

What would be the best product for this type of leather initially? Would I need to use in conjunction with other products. Bit of a newb to this sort of stuff...

Craftsman
    Certainly not something to argue over.

But money spent doesn't equal perfect fit, a last that suits your foot is what is required.

I agree that logic would dictate that one chooses the shoes which fit best and offers as many desirable qualities as possible. But sadly we are vain creatures and it does seem that one of our weaknesses is fashion (of sorts)... otherwise we would all be wearing those weird colourful handmade shoes that hippies favour.... actually i do quite fancy some of those...

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Yep,
    For £200-£300 am I odd in expecting them to fit properly?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument, but any poor fitting footwear will eventually fit perfectly if you give it long enough and are prepared to put up with the pain.

If your worried i'd play safe and use what Red Wing recommend which is there own Mink Oil... Having said that the oro iginal chukka's that i have seem to prefer the mink oil where as the briar slicks don't mind Obenaufs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    No - I'm sort of regretting that now. After having watched a few videos on youtube on how to care for Red Wings (is there anything you can't find on youtube?) - I've ordered some saddle soap to give them a clean and some mink oil to treat them with afterwards

thanks

Steve

^ I use dirt cheap saddle soap and neatsfoot oil on my boots and have done for a long time. Some folks recoil in horror at the thought of saddle soap on shoes and will quote the self same naysaying article, but in my humble opinion and experience it's all you need and can be had for peanuts at your local country store. I've seen 30-year old tack look just fine with that combo so I'm sure it's okay for splashing though puddles and mud.

if you're especially fashion-minded I would test before applying neatsfoot or similar as they will quite likely change the colour of the leather,

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Just bought a tub of this. There are so many conflicting opinions online!! My conclusion: if dubbin was good enough for my grandad and various military personnel over the years - to present, then it's good enough for me.

Dubbin is very good, but darkens the leather. Not great if you want to keep tan brogues, tan.

If darkening of the leather is not an issue then it's great stuff. I use it on my dark brown boots all the time, but won't let it near anything I have with a light tan colour.

Craftsman
    Just bought a tub of this. There are so many conflicting opinions online!! My conclusion: if dubbin was good enough for my grandad and various military personnel over the years - to present, then it's good enough for me.
    I've used the Chelsea on boots that take a hammering. Good stuff and I think it's kinder on the stitching.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Which model did you get?
    We need to determine what leather they are made of before we can find the proper way to care for them.
    I've looked at my boots and looked at the website and can't see them on there. All I know is they are waterproof leather earthkeepers with a vibram sole. Dunno if that helps ???

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    These.

Church's MacFarlanes (in Walnut Highland Grain on a commando sole) bought from Richard at http://www.shoehealer.co.uk/

I honestly can't recommend the boots or Richard highly enough.....
    The best boots that I've ever owned and the best online customer-service that that I've ever received.
    These with a pair of skinny jeans.

Craftsman

Cool

With temp in single digits and snow on ground, I'm going with these Gortex insulated waterproof Danners.

Quote Originally Posted by speedish View Post
    These with a pair of skinny jeans.
    Max Wall?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I've looked at my boots and looked at the website and can't see them on there. All I know is they are waterproof leather earthkeepers with a vibram sole. Dunno if that helps ???
    Sorry, missed your response at first. Are they suede or smooth leather? Oiled or pull-up leather? A picture would be most helpful.

Soles - no studs, tyres - studs. Good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    Soles - no studs, tyres - studs. Good.
    Your image:

Craftsman
    Nice new boots and a good eBay deal

Crockett & Jones Coniston boots, fully leather lined and Scotch grain leather. They fit like a glove and needed no breaking in. Been wearing them for about a week with lots of rain but they still look great with just a wipe down.

Master
    Crockett & Jones Coniston boots
    They're really comfortable boots, I bought myself a pair a couple of months ago. Those don't look as if they have been worn much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post

Crockett & Jones Coniston boots, fully leather lined and Scotch grain leather. They fit like a glove and needed no breaking in. Been wearing them for about a week with lots of rain but they still look great with just a wipe down.

Those are very nice. Did you buy them from an eBay seller in the States? I am struggling to understand why they are a hundred quid cheaper than they are in the UK when they are made here...

Craftsman
    C&J Connistons are great boots. I've had a pair for a couple of years and I really enjoy wearing them. Fairly conservative without looking to dull. I bought mine after I'd had my Grasmeres for a few months :-D

(the Grasmere is the shoe version of the Conniston)

Cheers
    Mabuse

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post

Superb Grain fade on them, love it
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Quoddy Kennebec in Brown leather, nice black vibram sole too for grip.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Those are very nice. Did you buy them from an eBay seller in the States? I am struggling to understand why they are a hundred quid cheaper than they are in the UK when they are made here...
    No it was a UK seller. The States price is probably less as we pay VAT .....

Master
    Its still a bit cold underfoot here and these have been keeping me toasty:

I just bought some Geox Aleksi from the Amphibiox range....half price on Geox's website and shipped from Italy in 3 days.
    Bascically a brogue boot with added waterproofness.

Initial impressions are good, they will need a bit of breaking in I expect.
    They will no doubt rub on the sides of my heel, all stiffer boots do for some reason, I hope they will break in quickly though.
    I have spoilt my feet for the last year or so with a pair of suede Timberland earthkeeper Chelsea boots, which are like wandering around in comfy slippers and show no signs of giving up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Its still a bit cold underfoot here and these have been keeping me toasty:

They look fantastic, real boots. Love them. Cheers

These are from my police days. So good in fact, they go on and on all year! Alt-Berg Warrior Microlite.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
    Sorry, no pics. But it looks exactly like this sole on the Ice Cutter which you can see here: http://welldresseddad.com/2014/01/31...boots-for-dad/ .

My boots look good with this new sole but it looks a little less work wear and a little more hiking wear. It also feel somewhat different to walk on but I am already adjusting after wearing them for a few hours. I don't mind but perhaps others will. The bill was about £60 including a leather middle sole. All in all I am quite pleased with it and it makes sense that a boot this tough can be used in rain and snow.

Cheers
    Mabuse
    Well. My Iron Rangers held up for a few weeks of wear and now the heels on both boots have separated from the uppers. There is a gap between the welt and the uppers and I can see the small nails that (are supposed to) keep the uppers and the lowers together. I can feel the nails through the inner sole.

I wonder if the new sole is simply to heavy for the boots or if perhaps the boots were too old so handle a change of sole that might have slightly changed the way I walk. I'll be stopping by the shoe repair man with them next time I have the chance. Curious to see what he thinks.

Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Cheers
    Mabuse

Shouldn't do that if the soles were stitched properly onto the welts, take them back to the cobbler who did the work originally.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Shouldn't do that if the soles were stitched properly onto the welts, take them back to the cobbler who did the work originally.
    I agree take them back, they should have also sealed or treated the edge of the sole. Hopefully they can fix it.

My will to resist finally collapsed....

Jeffery West Kandahar - Soooo comfy