closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Blog Entries
    I'm sure many of you have seen the Timberland sale on currently.........

Blog Entries
    Nothing will get my feet out of my Paraboot when real winter arrives.........

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

About to pull the trigger on a pair of Red Wing moc toe boots (another TZ inspired purchase!) there isn't a stockinet near me so I'll have to buy online.

I've read on here they wear big. I am size 8 (eu42) should I get a 7?

Grand Master
    Im an 11 Usually and I wear an 11 RedWing
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Im an 11 Usually and I wear an 11 RedWing
    Thanks 100th, any other input appreciated. Not trying to hijack the thread but thought this would be the best place to discuss....

I'm a size 7, and take a Sz 7 in Red Wing 875's

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Thanks 100th, any other input appreciated. Not trying to hijack the thread but thought this would be the best place to discuss....
    No just get them on and wear them to death, bit rough to break but amazing with time and wear. Id recommend SOAS or Redwing store Carnaby Street
    RIAC

About to pull the trigger on a pair of Red Wing moc toe boots (another TZ inspired purchase!) there isn't a stockinet near me so I'll have to buy online.

I've read on here they wear big. I am size 8 (eu42) should I get a 7?
    I'm a size 8.5 wide and I found a wide equivalent Redwing cripplingly tight,

I'm a 9 generally and take a 9 in Red Wing (chukkas not moc toe btw).

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I'm a 9 generally and take a 9 in Red Wing (chukkas not moc toe btw).
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm a size 8.5 wide and I found a wide equivalent Redwing cripplingly tight,
    Thanks for the pointers

No just get them on and wear them to death, bit rough to break but amazing with time and wear. Id recommend SOAS or Redwing store Carnaby Street
    Looks like a drop into SOAS is the best bet, saves faffing around for sure.

Craftsman
    Another vote for "true to size" I wear an 8 in DMs and formal shoes and Redwings 875 are also fine in 8. They are quite tight on width and are taking a little break in, certainly would not advise to size down.

An option for hassle free try out is if you have a "Schuh" store near you they do carry a few models, including 875. You can purchase have delivered to store and refund there and then if you don't wish to purchase (much better prices can be had elsewhere ;))

Thanks for the pointers

Looks like a drop into SOAS is the best bet, saves faffing around for sure.

Craftsman
    Epic boots. Exact copy of E Hillary's everest boots used for sledging and walk to base camp. They are made by Bally who made the boots for the everest expedition, they also made the boots for the moon landing. These cost about Ł900 but I found them in Tkmax Ł150 and couldn't leave them. Photos taken late summer great boots but a bugger to put on.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Loake fisher brogue boots for me. Unless it's snowy or muddy in which case North face Ballard boots.

Craftsman
    Can't make out if I would like them if it weren't for the historical element.... I think they will look much more attractive with a few miles and a bit of weather behind them!

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Epic boots. Exact copy of E Hillary's everest boots used for sledging and walk to base camp. They are made by Bally who made the boots for the everest expedition, they also made the boots for the moon landing. These cost about Ł900 but I found them in Tkmax Ł150 and couldn't leave them. Photos taken late summer great boots but a bugger to put on.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Kids at my school used to wear them usually with a metal framework attached and a sticky plaster on one eye!

Thankfully medical advances have negated the need for such now
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I get your drift. My best mates calls them my orthopaedic boots. On the plus side they fit like a glove and the leather work is fantastic. A bit like a jigsaw puzzle boot. Cheers.

Master
    Kids at my school used to wear them usually with a metal framework attached and a sticky plaster on one eye!

Thankfully medical advances have negated the need for such now
    Pmsl, I thought the exact same thing.

Master
    In early January I managed to find a pair of high Yuketen boots from Mr Porter at Ł300 which is half price. I have owned lots of excellent boots but I have never seen anything built to the standard of these things, nor any that used hide of this quality. I first bought some of their shoes a couple of years ago and think they are incredible pieces of footwear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    In early January I managed to find a pair of high Yuketen boots from Mr Porter at Ł300 which is half price. I have owned lots of excellent boots but I have never seen anything built to the standard of these things, nor any that used hide of this quality. I first bought some of their shoes a couple of years ago and think they are incredible pieces of footwear.
    Congratulations, and I completely agree.

I picked up a pair of Yuketen Daniels wingtip boots in Berlin last weekend at 50 % off. Still an absolutely crazy amount of money to spend on a pair of boots but then how often do you get the opportunity to have a pair of handmade shell cordovan boots at such a discount? The work and finish is great and remarkably precise considering the brogueing and the pinking is done entirely by hand. Still wearing them in and waiting for dry weather to wear them some more.

I would love to have a pair of Yuketen mocs now :-D

Cheers
    Mabuse

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
    Congratulations, and I completely agree.

I picked up a pair of Yuketen Daniels wingtip boots in Berlin last weekend at 50 % off. Still an absolutely crazy amount of money to spend on a pair of boots but then how often do you get the opportunity to have a pair of handmade shell cordovan boots at such a discount? The work and finish is great and remarkably precise considering the brogueing and the pinking is done entirely by hand. Still wearing them in and waiting for dry weather to wear them some more.

I would love to have a pair of Yuketen mocs now :-D

Cheers
    Mabuse
    I know what you mean. I picked up a pair of their Mocs and some Country Rangers in the Triads sale, or was it End? At half price they are brilliant value. Completely agree about the workmanship too.

.. and waiting for dry weather to wear them some more.
    Doesn't that negate the point of boots? ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Doesn't that negate the point of boots? ;)
    Yeah well, if I had bought them to be sturdy wet winter weather boots, then yes. But these are regular weather boots for general wear and while the shell uppers can take a bit of snow the leather soles get slippy and probably won't like all the salt on the streets. So I will be saving them a bit for now.

Cheers
    Mabuse

I just added to my Cheaney collection: I finally killed my ancient Timberland Chelsea boots last year and have been noodling on a replcement - finally settled on a pair of Cheaney Ribble Cs in tan leather and they are every bit as good as the Pennines I got for Christmas three years ago. The Pennines have had a hard time, lots of walking, water, mud and snow and they look great still - I have high hopes for the new arrivals...

Blog Entries
    If you buy quality boots, and own quite a few pairs, they don't wear out, and you have no excuse to buy new ones..........

But, I couldn't resist buying a pair of beautiful Norwegian welt Paraboot for a very fair price :)

These boots last forever, so really no excuses left now!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I found Redwing Beckmans to fit big by about 1/2 size

Great boots though - I want some Iron Rangers if they end up in the sale

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    Another vote for "true to size" I wear an 8 in DMs and formal shoes and Redwings 875 are also fine in 8. They are quite tight on width and are taking a little break in, certainly would not advise to size down.

An option for hassle free try out is if you have a "Schuh" store near you they do carry a few models, including 875. You can purchase have delivered to store and refund there and then if you don't wish to purchase (much better prices can be had elsewhere ;))

Oliver Sweeney - Danby Black/Brown Casual Boot

Never tried Sweeney's before so got a pair of these in the sales:

They will take a bit of breaking in but should work well as a compromise between smart and working.

These are for when it's wet:

Hunter Balmoral Montrose....

A
    Last edited by AlistairD; 10th February 2015 at 17:07.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Great boots though - I want some Iron Rangers if they end up in the sale
    Iron Rangers are great. Mine are 4 years old and I certainly haven't been babying them. They have been worn a lot in all kind of conditions including heavy rain and snow. Four years down the road the colour of the rough-out leather has changed a lot and the sole has some wear but I think there could be at least another 10 years left. Just be aware that the sole is slippery as fook when it's wet making running for the bus somewhat dangerous. I am picking my pair up from my shoe guy later today, when he has sewn on a new vibram sole with some grip. If you don't mind the slippery sole then original sole is very hard wearing.

I paid full retail and they are certainly worth it to me.

Cheers
    Mabuse

Been meaning to post on here for a while, but keep forgetting!

My current boots Timberland Chukka's which seem hard to find nowadays, usually my daily wearing when ever it's not sunny, need a good clean but so comfy

[/URL]

Also just bought these from Timberland in the sale, slightly smarter Chukkas, looking forward to wearing them

[/URL]

Also waiting until I visit the states again to pick up a pair of Red Wing Chukkas, which I think are uber cool.

Iron Rangers are great. Mine are 4 years old and I certainly haven't been babying them. They have been worn a lot in all kind of conditions including heavy rain and snow. Four years down the road the colour of the rough-out leather has changed a lot and the sole has some wear but I think there could be at least another 10 years left. Just be aware that the sole is slippery as fook when it's wet making running for the bus somewhat dangerous. I am picking my pair up from my shoe guy later today, when he has sewn on a new vibram sole with some grip. If you don't mind the slippery sole then original sole is very hard wearing.

I paid full retail and they are certainly worth it to me.

Cheers
    Mabuse
    Photos please! I have had the Iron Rangers for two seasons and they still look like new, bit of wear on the heel and that's it. I had heard about the sole being slippy but they have been fine so far. I would prefer a commando sole but actually the cork sole with the white flecks really matches. They continue to fit better the more I wear them.

Last edited by mindforge; 11th February 2015 at 20:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Photos please! I have had the Iron Rangers for two seasons and they still look like new, bit of wear on the heel and that's it. I had heard about the sole being slippy but they have been fine so far. I would prefer a commando sole but actually the cork sole with the white flecks really matches. They continue to fit better the more I wear them.
    Sorry, no pics. But it looks exactly like this sole on the Ice Cutter which you can see here: http://welldresseddad.com/2014/01/31...boots-for-dad/ .

My boots look good with this new sole but it looks a little less work wear and a little more hiking wear. It also feel somewhat different to walk on but I am already adjusting after wearing them for a few hours. I don't mind but perhaps others will. The bill was about Ł60 including a leather middle sole. All in all I am quite pleased with it and it makes sense that a boot this tough can be used in rain and snow.

Cheers
    Mabuse

Looks good, what I intended doing once the cork soles wear out.

Looking at those Ice cutters, I much prefer the double toe cap pocket on the Iron Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post

Just picked up a pair of these, currently Ł75 delivered on Amazon (sold by Amazon themselves). Even factoring in the sole upgrade, not a bad price I thought.

Craftsman
    Theses are still going strong.

Craftsman
    ForumRunner_20150213_151559.jpg

Still working on breaking these in hopefully it'll be worth it. They're danners if anyone's curious ☺

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zissou1981 View Post
    ForumRunner_20150213_151559.jpg

Still working on breaking these in hopefully it'll be worth it. They're danners if anyone's curious ☺
    Mountain Lights?
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Mountain Lights?
    Yep , bought them form son of stag. They are absolute murder on the bottom of the calves but they look Trevor.

Master
    Guys the timberlands I have just bought are brown, but they are in between tan and dark brown so polish will be out of the question, so what can I use on them to keep them in good nick? They are leather and waterproof.
    Cheers.

Master
    What about some clear polish??

Craftsman
    Saphir Médaille d'Or Renovateur, renovating cream. Fantastic stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Guys the timberlands I have just bought are brown, but they are in between tan and dark brown so polish will be out of the question, so what can I use on them to keep them in good nick? They are leather and waterproof.
    Cheers.

i use the timberland clear wax stuff.

Master
    Cheers guys.

Master
    I have just bought are brown, but they are in between tan and dark brown so polish will be out of the question
    Get a Saphir colour chart, it's amazing some of the colours of polish they produce.

Master
    Cheers.
    This

http://www.jonesbootmaker.com/bags-a...pot-6801401499

or Jones do a silicone liquid that I have always used.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jones-Bootma.../dp/B00QJ26GQK
    Last edited by craig1912; 14th February 2015 at 08:55.

Craftsman
    IMO Saphir wax and creams are the best you can buy, they seem expensive but if used properly they last ages. I guess it depends on what you intend to use your boots for. If you are only walking round town and going for the odd walk in the fields I'd use a cream and wax. If your going into the bogs and crags I use the Timberland product.

Below is a small selection of the Saphir wax range all different tones of brown apart from the white clear wax. All the best.

Speaking of polish, I got a pair of boots massively reduced in an online sale a while back and it seems they were so cheap because one must have been on display in a shop window and has faded quite a bit. I've never gotten round to doing anything with them, but would like to. Would it be a case of just picking a polish as dark as the darker of the two and polishing them or will the faded one always be lighter or require additional attention to get it back to matching? Is there an affordable professional solution? I've been meaning to have a word with the cobblers around the corner, but again, have never gotten round to it.

Craftsman
    Dear Uriel, if they have been sitting around for ages they could probally do with some nourishment. This will help bring the leather back to a good condition and prevent cracks. I would do that first as it should give you a better idea of the colour and then you could use a coloured cream which tends to have more pigment than wax and then wax. Good luck

Iron Rangers after two years of wear and treatment with Renapur leather balsam. I think they look better,

Which model did you get?
    We need to determine what leather they are made of before we can find the proper way to care for them.

Took delivery of a new pair of red wing 0875's a week or so ago and wore them today for their first outing.........OUCH!!!!! My feet are on fire.

These do get more comfy, don't they?!

Took delivery of a new pair of red wing 0875's a week or so ago and wore them today for their first outing.........OUCH!!!!! My feet are on fire.

These do get more comfy, don't they?!
    Yes but it can take a while. I actually resorted to bashing one particularly hard part of the boot with a stick from the inside to soften it up! Very comfortable now.