closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1514

Thread: It's winter boot time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It's definitely true for me but it has to be proper sheepskin and has to be worn without socks.
    With socks it can get too warm.
    Actually it’s partly the need to not wear socks that appeals. That and I imagine the fluffiness feels lovely on the feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    There’s certainly some truth to this, I wear merino base layers for most sporting activities. I also tend to wear merino, lambs wool or cashmere jumpers most of the time now. There are limits though, no matter what, a big wool jumper will be too hot in summer for example. Also, wool doesn’t smell, I don’t touch synthetics for anything other than running.
    I’ve got a wool (of at least high % of wool) neck gaiter I tend to cover my head with in winter and it keeps me nice and warm. The wool blend socks I bought a few year’s ago from M&S seem less successful at combating sweaty feet (even though they’re not thick socks either).

Maybe I just need to take a punt and invest in some sheepskin slippers to try. Certainly I’ve reached the conclusion (for the umpteenth time) that synthetics and my skin don’t mix well!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Ugg slippers and 2 pairs of British Fenland ones & I need to remove them all throughout the day as my feet get too hot. Tried both with and without socks & no difference at all.

I now wear with socks as can wash them more easily. Have yet to find a pair I can wear all day without getting hot feet.
    Thanks. I fear I might end up being similar. Like I said in my post above, maybe I need to just suck up the cost and give a pair a try. I’ve certainly spent well over the equivalent cost on trying different fleecy socks or insulated synthetic slippers in the past!

Had these Cheaney for a couple of weeks now and they are already really comfortable.

Quality is as you would expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    Thanks. I fear I might end up being similar. Like I said in my post above, maybe I need to just suck up the cost and give a pair a try. I’ve certainly spent well over the equivalent cost on trying different fleecy socks or insulated synthetic slippers in the past!
    The fenland ones were cheap in TKMaxx. £20 from memory less than half price.

I have several pairs of slippers, as similar to never wearing the same shoes 2 days consecutively, I feel the same for slippers given how much feet perspire.

They will feel tight to begin with until the sheepskin flattens out a little. Don’t make the mistake I made with my first Ugg slippers and bought for what felt correct. After it flattened, I had loose fitting clown sized ones! Was much better fit second time around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    The fenland ones were cheap in TKMaxx. £20 from memory less than half price.

I have several pairs of slippers, as similar to never wearing the same shoes 2 days consecutively, I feel the same for slippers given how much feet perspire.

They will feel tight to begin with until the sheepskin flattens out a little. Don’t make the mistake I made with my first Ugg slippers and bought for what felt correct. After it flattened, I had loose fitting clown sized ones! Was much better fit second time around.
    Thanks for the tip! :)

I’ll check out Fenland too as the look to be a cheaper ‘way in’ so to speak. I’m not sure I can face the Christmas shopping crowds this weekend otherwise I’d take a trip to TKMaxx too!

Blog Entries
    All the Paraboot and R.M. Williams are freshly polished for winter, my 30 years old Yard boot is still in good shape, the Horween Shell Cordovan Paraboot are always a treat to put your foot in, no better leather for shoes, imho.

Last edited by Daddelvirks; 18th December 2022 at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    All the Paraboot and R.M. Williams are freshly polished for winter, my 30 years old Yard boot is still in good shape, the Horween Shell Cordovan Paraboot are always a treat to put your foot in, no better leather for shoes, imho.

You can’t beat a nicely polished shoe or boot. It’s so satisfying to polish them and get them looking great. (Or is this just a strange fetish I have)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You can’t beat a nicely polished shoe or boot. It’s so satisfying to polish them and get them looking great. (Or is this just a strange fetish I have)?
    No, I love bringing the shine back, it’s easy with Shell Cordovan, very forgiving leather that easily shines. Since my taste didn’t change much in all those years my shoes really were an investment, no new pairs needed in this life ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

What do you use on the RMW? Mine are only about 8 years old but need a new sole; do you return to them out of interest?

Cannot believe the current price of new RMW, wish I’d bought more than a pair a few years back. Can’t work out if they are worth RRP these days.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What do you use on the RMW? Mine are only about 8 years old but need a new sole; do you return to them out of interest?

Cannot believe the current price of new RMW, wish I’d bought more than a pair a few years back. Can’t work out if they are worth RRP these days.

I use RMW saddle leather dressing on mine.

Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

Another pair of Red Wings...

Didn't realise how dilapidated my old Chukka boots are.

Time to get the mink oil out for these I think... another job for the festive break.

Update - Chukkas cleaned & oiled last night & ready for action …

z
    Last edited by zelig; 22nd December 2022 at 11:31.

I got myself an early Chrimbo present today, a pair of Cheaney Pennines. Sat watching Skyfall again with them on. Moulding them to my feet my take a few weeks. They are tight but not uncomfortable. An investment for the future.
    Last edited by Kairos; 24th December 2022 at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Time to get the mink oil out for these I think... another job for the festive break.

Update - Chukkas cleaned & oiled last night & ready for action â€
    Some job you did on the old ones. What did you use to clean the soles?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Some job you did on the old ones. What did you use to clean the soles?
    Nothing more exotic than very diluted soapy water ( Fairy liquid as detergent ) & an abrasive scouring pad.

Then cleaned the uppers with a rough suede brush before finishing with Red Wing Boot Oil.

It's a bit pungent but does a great job.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 23rd December 2022 at 13:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought some Danner Jags recently. Not used them in anger yet but they seem excellent.

@pacifichrono - I see what you did there!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

But that's a trunk!

Blog Entries
    & I’d guess it’s not San Diego…

z

Master
    Blog Entries

z
    They came up really well

Nothing more exotic than very diluted soapy water & detergent ( Fairy liquid ) & an abrasive scouring pad.

Then cleaned the uppers with a rough suede brush before finishing with Red Wing Boot Oil.

It's a bit pungent but does a great job.

z
    Thanks for that. I have this but will get spot of that too.

Ready for all weathers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I use RMW saddle leather dressing on mine.
    I’d tried that stuff, but found when I walked in them the dressing came out of the leather on crease lines and looked shocking until cleaned off.

Am I using it wrong?

I now use a load of Saphir products, but not worn any boots or shoes for ages & need to give all my boots a good moisturising and polish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d tried that stuff, but found when I walked in them the dressing came out of the leather on crease lines and looked shocking until cleaned off.

Am I using it wrong?

I now use a load of Saphir products, but not worn any boots or shoes for ages & need to give all my boots a good moisturising and polish.
    After applied I polish with a brush and soft cloth.Never had the problem you describe.

Craftsman
    I’ve been wearing these in the winter for years, insulated, waterproof and really comfortable, and for the lazy gits like me, no maintenance required.
    Don’t know how easy they would be to get in the UK

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/i-90...W03226#reviews

Master
    After applied I polish with a brush and soft cloth.Never had the problem you describe.
    Thanks. How strange, perhaps I’m using too much product.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. How strange, perhaps I’m using too much product.
    I only use a pea size blob for both boots.

Master
    I only use a pea size blob for both boots.
    And there we have the answer! Thank you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I took the last winter season boots out today, should've done this already a month ago, but I've been too busy.

These are 5-7 years old, all still looking great. I take good care of them, and wear them in a rotation of 6-7 boots during the winter.

Are those Vibergs still available? I can`t see that design/model with 7 lace holes on the Viberg site. I presume that as they are 5-7 years old they have changed design now or they were a limited edition?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Are those Vibergs still available? I can`t see that design/model with 7 lace holes on the Viberg site. I presume that as they are 5-7 years old they have changed design now or they were a limited edition?
    Both of those were regular Viberg styles in the past, but they have indeed changed their desings later. The black ones have the old style Viberg oversize tongue (stopped maybe 2014/15), you can see that the brown ones don't have that as they are maybe from 2017.

This is the current black model, it's pretty close to what I have: https://vibergboot.eu/products/servi...ack-chromexcel

The prices have gone crazy. I paid roughly half of the current retail for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    I’ve been wearing these in the winter for years, insulated, waterproof and really comfortable, and for the lazy gits like me, no maintenance required.
    Don’t know how easy they would be to get in the UK

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/i-90...W03226#reviews
    Amazon is your friend, not often you’ll hear that but they stock them sometimes at a decent discount.

Craftsman
    You can indeed

Wolverine Men's I-90 Waterproof Composite-Toe 6" Construction Boot https://amzn.eu/d/163mhik

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Amazon is your friend, not often you’ll hear that but they stock them sometimes at a decent discount.

Master
    W
    Diemme boots 50% off at matches fashion none in my size sadly but Great boots

z
    Blow…..they did fit then ;0)

I have bought a pair of Osprey. Be interested to see what they are like. Sale prices are good. Comes from James have been great.

https://www.fieldandmoor.co.uk/colle.../country-boots

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Just ordered some new trickers grassmere from woodhouse clothing, they have a decent selection at 50% off if anyone is looking

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Danner Jags incoming…

I gave up trying to find decent everyday boots that don't look like truck.er cast offs or Eton brogue hi-toffs, so gone for hiker casual instead.
    Sadly these were far too long in the toe box so will be going back today. They were a bit chunkier than I was hoping for as well.

These, on the other hand, were the Goldilocks boots…

Danner Vertigo 917, GTX

Master
    Rather disappointingly I’ve just had to return a pair of Redwing Chukka boots as I found the toe area too pointy. I’m looking for exactly the same boot with a more rounded toe cap if such a thing exists. Many years ago I had such a pair but eventually the soles wore out and I’ve never been able to find a suitable replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Rather disappointingly I’ve just had to return a pair of Redwing Chukka boots as I found the toe area too pointy. I’m looking for exactly the same boot with a more rounded toe cap if such a thing exists. Many years ago I had such a pair but eventually the soles wore out and I’ve never been able to find a suitable replacement.
    The Iron Ranger has a very rounded roomy toe box.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Master
    Another year for these beauties

They’ve been my go to for donkeys years now , and still in perfect condition.

Soles do need replacing though - any recommendations in central or southwest London for quality cobblers?
    I’m happy to spend top dollar getting them done, would rather avoid timpsons etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Another year for these beauties

Soles do need replacing though - any recommendations in central or southwest London for quality cobblers?
    I’m happy to spend top dollar getting them done, would rather avoid timpsons etc.
    It shouldn't be too hard to find a cobbler that can replace those Christy soles.

You could try Premier Shoe Care in Lower Marsh by Waterloo.

Although not the same footwear, they did a great job resoling a pair of chunky rubber sole Paraboot Michael for me. They were recommended by Paraboot so guess they have built a good reputation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    You could try Premier Shoe Care in Lower Marsh by Waterloo.

Although not the same footwear, they did a great job resoling a pair of chunky rubber sole Paraboot Michael for me. They were recommended by Paraboot so guess they have built a good reputation.

Perfect, thanks! Wloo is my station.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If that option fails,I’ve had good service from Lancashire sports direct.Mailed both ways.

Just for clarification, I dropped off mine at their other branch in Golders Green as that was the address Paraboot gave me. When I arrived, Premier said I could have taken them to the Waterloo branch and that’s where I collected them from as it was far more convenient.

I really fancy giving these colabs a go. Has anyone else picked up a pair? The only thing that concerns me is the tread pattern. They don't look great for slip resistance.

Palladium x Finisterre Hiker +

Craftsman
    Just bought a pair of these for when my Haix Commander GTX are overkill.. already used on a few wet dog walks and will put them to good use in the Alps next month. Impressed so far.

https://hollandscountryclothing.co.u...y-dealer-boots

My first pair from NPS / Solovair and I’m impressed. Lovely high gloss leather and Goodyear welted sole. Made in Northamptonshire. Comfy straight out of the box.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 17th February 2023 at 21:50.

Just buy a pair of RM Williams and have done with it.

That'll last you a lifetime, through fashion or weather, they will be still on your feet

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Not a single pair I like on their site at the moment. Too formal / poncey for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Just buy a pair of RM Williams and have done with it.

That'll last you a lifetime, through fashion or weather, they will be still on your feet

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk