closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1514

Thread: It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Nice- a bit like the Axton boot. I have a similar show version in tan. Sadly too small and I keep meaning to get them stretched.
    Yeah, they're basically the Axton. But tweaked slightly to make them a collaborative exclusive. They have eyes, instead of quick loops (or whatever the correct names are) at the top 3 homes. They also have a yellow pull tag.

Tricker's sizing is a bit all over the place.

I guess it's always winter - somewhere.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Initially bought a pair of Diemmes but they arrived and were the wrong colour and size so they went back! To be honest the quality on them was poor compared to the pair i had years ago, suede was nowhere near as good and the lining, laces and collar wer a bit rubbish.
    Bought a pair of Fracap instead and couldn’t be happier. Extra pair of rope laces and a Fracap boot brush included in one of the boots!
    I quite fancied some Fracap boots but I need a half size and no-one in the UK stocks them. Shame because they seem like a quality item.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I quite fancied some Fracap boots but I need a half size and no-one in the UK stocks them. Shame because they seem like a quality item.
    I’m very pleased with them, they are indeed quality.

Have you had a look on Xile Clothing? Scottish shop that has Euro sizing if it helps and there’s a 10% off code for new sign ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    I’m very pleased with them, they are indeed quality.

Have you had a look on Xile Clothing? Scottish shop that has Euro sizing if it helps and there’s a 10% off code for new sign ups.
    Thanks for the feedback. Sadly, I’m after a 9.5/43.5 which they don’t stock. C’est la vie!!

Master
    Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

It’s that time of year again. Time to dig out the C&J coniston that have been sat unloved due to lockdown.
    Last edited by Middo; 2nd October 2021 at 10:52.

Yep, trying to figure out where my red wings are this morning. Found three pairs so far but not the ones I'm trying to get to

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep, trying to figure out where my red wings are this morning. Found three pairs so far but not the ones I'm trying to get to
    Funny that, I have left my trusty 875s in the mess down south.

Master
    Bought a pair of Solovair boots a while back and they are starting to come into their own with the weather changing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s that time of year again. I fancy a plain boot for a change. A pair of Trickers Burford might be the ticket I either marron or espresso.

The perks of being a shoe maker… LL Bean Stonington for my long overdue six week trip back to the UK

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Master
    They look smart - are they comfy straight out of the box Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    They look smart - are they comfy straight out of the box Jon?
    Honestly, they're like walking on clouds, Matt.

Wearing these a lot at the moment. Didn’t need any breaking in either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had so many high end boots but nothing ever beat Bates for comfort, soft but hard wearing at the same time.

The worse ones are the posh ones with rock hard soles, they look fantastic but are like walking with steel soles.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I need to get a pair like this. Good few pairs of Red Wings but I'll only wear them if I'm out the entire day with no chance of popping into someone's house.

The Chukkas aren't bad but the classic moc toes might need more breaking in, thinner socks, or regular human size feet. Only a size 10 but I have thighs for wrists and ankles and without a shoe horn is hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I need to get a pair like this. Good few pairs of Red Wings but I'll only wear them if I'm out the entire day with no chance of popping into someone's house.

The Chukkas aren't bad but the classic moc toes might need more breaking in, thinner socks, or regular human size feet. Only a size 10 but I have thighs for wrists and ankles and without a shoe horn is hard work.
    My Blundstones mean that I leave several pairs of more expensive boots in the cupboard, including 2 pairs of Red Wings. As to how long they last, I can’t comment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Snap.
    They are very comfortable and are kept by the door as they are what I usually put on if going out (not out out)...they could do with a bit of Dubbin, though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Honestly, they're like walking on clouds, Matt.
    Brilliant price too, finding it hard to justify the redwings price differential vs these, especially given these are comfy from the start. I tend to wimp out where boots hurt me on break in, love my RMWs that I walked for 30k steps on their first venture without issue.

Given our feet are the same size, what did you go for in the end?

Cheers Jon!

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interested in the Blundstones now. Not really seen them before. I really prefer lace up boots due to very high arches so will take a look. I'll still look to getting my Panama Jack's resoled though

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Brilliant price too, finding it hard to justify the redwings price differential vs these, especially given these are comfy from the start. I tend to wimp out where boots hurt me on break in, love my RMWs that I walked for 30k steps on their first venture without issue.

Given our feet are the same size, what did you go for in the end?

Cheers Jon!

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    UK9.

Perfect width too. Can't fault them.

Question on the Blundstones, can they be resoled?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Another pair of Tricker's arrived this week. These are a collaboration with a small clothing shop in Seattle.

I've been on the verge of buying the Division Road Stow Acorn but the duty and postage made them a bit too much. If I go to the US next year I'll be tempted though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    The perks of being a shoe maker… LL Bean Stonington for my long overdue six week trip back to the UK

I do like the look of those, I've had a quick Google and can't see them available anywhere in the UK only the US, anyone know a source?

LL Bean will ship them, tax-& postage-paid, to the UK for you. They're £135.54 & you can get a further 10% off today with the code JOY10. The price in the US is $139 before using the code.

https://global.llbean.com/shop/Mens-...oe/123213.html
    Last edited by jwg663; 15th November 2021 at 15:45.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    LL Bean will ship them, tax-& postage-paid, to the UK for you. They're £135.54 & you can get a further 10% off today with the code JOY10. The price in the US is $139 before using the code.

Thank you, very tempting, but I do like to try them on, and buying direct from the US restricts my return options................although there's always the SC

Master
    Oh well nothing ventured etc. etc.

Expect to see some 10.5's on SC soon..........

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post

Don’t believe they can but I’ve had half a dozen pairs over the years, never had issues with the soles only the leather uppers can start to leak if not treated.

Saying that I’ve got one pair that’s gone porous so to speak & the other pair still going strong after a couple of years!

I’ve just ordered a pair of UGG Chelsea boots to try as the Blunnies seem to have escalated in price of late since they become more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Oh well nothing ventured etc. etc.

Expect to see some 10.5's on SC soon..........
    I take it the us sizes have the usual+1 sizing?
    I.e 10.5 is uk 9.5?

Of no particular relevance, I bought a pair of Blundstones in Australia in 2001. Wore them regularly, then there was an interregnum when I didn't wear them for several years, pulled them out again as they came in to fashion and the soles had crumbled, turned to dust.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I take it the us sizes have the usual+1 sizing?
    I.e 10.5 is uk 9.5?
    On the LL Bean site it say's 10.5 US = EU 45 = 10 UK, so fingers crossed they're true to size.

Another alternative to Blundstones to consider are Redbacks. I've had both over the years and much prefer Redbacks. They fit like slippers out of the box. Also they are 100% made in Australia, which I believe Blundstones no longer are.

Check out this
    https://youtu.be/hqwbBpcElpE

Last edited by mijyou; 15th November 2021 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Don’t believe they can but I’ve had half a dozen pairs over the years, never had issues with the soles only the leather uppers can start to leak if not treated.

Saying that I’ve got one pair that’s gone porous so to speak & the other pair still going strong after a couple of years!

I’ve just ordered a pair of UGG Chelsea boots to try as the Blunnies seem to have escalated in price of late since they become more popular?
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Of no particular relevance, I bought a pair of Blundstones in Australia in 2001. Wore them regularly, then there was an interregnum when I didn't wear them for several years, pulled them out again as they came in to fashion and the soles had crumbled, turned to dust.
    I don't believe they can be resoled and I have also had a pair where the soles crumbled, but they were pretty ancient and had been well used/abused - I'd got my money's worth out of them...the uppers were still sound so I should have got straps made from them.

Craftsman
    I also have a pair of Redbacks and can vouch that they are very comfortable. I think they wear slightly big, I’m a size 9 and use a pair of thick hiking socks and they are still slightly large. Only downside, if it’s damp water does get in around the seam.

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    Blog Entries
    Panama Jacks and one of my three pairs of Redbacks,very comfy straight out of the box.

They're not strictly Winter boots but has anyone any experience with Thursday Boots? I like the look of the Thursday Captain's.

Thanks for the replies regards Blundstones etc. The Panama Jack's I have, the tread on the ball of the foot has worn smooth after a couple of years winter months use which I find annoying. I'll look at getting them resoled with a proper sole. I can't bring myself doing £300 or so on "casual" boots like the redwings. I can't do Chelsea boots due to my high arch hoofs. I think I'll try a pair of laced Blundstones.

https://www.blundstone.co.uk/product...-brown-leather

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    They're not strictly Winter boots but has anyone any experience with Thursday Boots? I like the look of the Thursday Captain's.
    I have a pair of Captains and a pair of Diplomats. Highly recommended and great value.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone got any Trickers Burfords in marron? If so what does the leather age like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

My LLBean Stonington boots arrived today, I went half a size up and they fit perfectly. The quality is superb and they are quite a bit lighter than my Redwings. All for just over £120 shipped from US.
    Thanks very much for the great heads up, I’ve also just noticed they come with both green and maroon laces as well.

Last edited by Cat7; 27th November 2021 at 13:37.

Anyone got any Trickers Burfords in marron? If so what does the leather age like?
    I've not got Burfords, but I've got Stow in Marron. What exactly would you like to know?

Happy to share any pics when I'm back home.

The leather hasn't softened dramatically yet. But I own a few pairs of boots, and off they're worn more regularly the story might be a tad different. I've worn them in heavy rain and they've dried no problem and without any discoloration.

A new brand to me, Carmina. These arrived yesterday after placing an order over a month ago; they were my first made to order boot may I add.

The box is lovely. The boots feel well made. I wish I had gone half a size up, but hopefully they'll stretch a tad in time.

They're not as sturdy as my Tricker's, albeit they are more dressy rather than "country". They do feel on par with Crockett and Jone's boots. I'm sure I'll buy from them again, but just size up a tad.

Master
    Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

I have heard good things about carmina.

Have you got a decent pic of the marron in daylight?

Saying that I am eyeing up some rough out coniston now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    ...Thanks very much for the great heads up...
    Happy to help!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Never been disappointed with Herrings for the price, I’m sure these will be good, rubber soles a good choice for the time of year…I note they’re made in India but I believe Loake and Grenson have similar from that part of the world…probably from the same factory
    Last edited by GOAT; 28th November 2021 at 12:34.

I have heard good things about carmina.

Have you got a decent pic of the marron in daylight?

Saying that I am eyeing up some rough out coniston now too.
    I think I've had these a year or so...

Shoe Healer have 20% off at the moment. I prefer the contrast stitching they have also.

https://shoehealer.co.uk/collections...marron-antique

Master
    Love my Loake Bedales at this time of year.

(Yes they need a polish!)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I think I've had these a year or so...

Shoe Healer have 20% off at the moment. I prefer the contrast stitching they have also.

https://shoehealer.co.uk/collections...marron-antique
    Thanks that’s the cheapest I have found the burfords, leather looks good too..