closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I have a pair of these but with a side zip and it has to be said they are great all rounders. They combine Goretex, thinsulate and vibram in one package. https://www.batesfootwear.com/UK/en-...t?dimensions=0
    Very heavy duty, for more of an every day pair you could do worse than these..............

http://www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-xpedition-iii/p1637

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

Question - are the Timberlands actually any good for heavy use or are they now more of a turned-up-jeans, heart-attack-if-they-get-mud-on type boot? If they are more of a style over substance, are there any recommended alternatives that aren't like brogues or moccasin type toes.
    Bought a pair yesterday since spend so much time out with my two young lads on their scooters

They are sorted with their "Crocs" winter boots (amazing for kids) but I needed something waterproof

Wore the timberland boots straight from the shop for an hours scooter/walk through park in the rain (a soft evening as we say in Ireland) and feet felt amazing!

Depends what you're going to wear them for.

There are boots which are made to be boots.
    And then there are boots which are made for a short walk from the car to the pub/supermarket and may even be walked through puddles once in a while. .

I've tried Red wing after hearing the praise heaped on them. But they failed, fast.

My Timberlands are 23 years old.
    Used for just about everything, including riding my motorbike off road.

Tore the sole off while riding off road one day.

They've been worn while deep in water

And in deep mud

Had them resoled twice.
    Timberland didn't charge for the last resole because they were honoured they were still being worn and used as intended.

The new sole

And they relined the inner while they had them.

The newer Timberlands are very very comfortable, but unfortunately they don't make them like they used to, the original sole has a very very short life and can be slippy on some wet surfaces. I wore them out in less than six months.

But all is not lost, i had them resoled in Vibram. Thicker, flexible and with exceptional grip. I'm currently doing my best to wear them out but two years after resoling they are still in exceptional condition.

Last edited by steptoe; 11th December 2014 at 12:43.

Craftsman
    I work construction and wear a pair of redwing iron rangers. Cannot praise these boots highly enough pretty much everyone I work with wears the crappy Ģ50 dewalt boots and they seem to last 6 months if your lucky. 3 years of everyday construction work my red wings have only just started showing signs of wear on the sole......

^ quality post there Steptoe. Great stuff - you even managed a watch pic in there too :D

That's good to know. While I don't make a habit of wading in mine, they do get used for enthusiastic multi-terrain mooching / shooting / beachcombing and I appreciate brands that show customer care like you've described.

Right, Timberland it is then. I'm assuming the best of the current line up are the classic six inch jobbies rather than the TreeHugger range or similar?
    Last edited by kungfugerbil; 24th November 2014 at 21:46.

Heavy duty?

Winter wellies, army model. Good for all sub-zero operations, including skiing.

More: http://nokianjalkineet.fi/en/boots-o...n/?color=black

I've worn mine on several gigs, including a few rather cold weeks without ever entering a heated house. No problems with feet. All food and water froze solid, though. That's what minus 30 and more does to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Right, Timberland it is then. I'm assuming the best of the current line up are the classic six inch jobbies rather than the TreeHugger range or similar?
    I think 6" classic premium is the way to go. For me, the only Timberlands I'd buy, and I personally think these burnished brown are the nicest www.cloggs.co.uk/invt/5450 and a bit more forgiving when playing around in plenty of mud.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 24th November 2014 at 22:39.

Last winter I bought a pair of Clarks Fawley Hi fur-lined boots in nubuck, I think they were about 75 quid from Clarks website. They are possibly the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, they are very warm (it gets a bit nippy round the ankles on a Vespa) and 100% waterproof. I wear them with a suit or with jeans and they don't look out of place with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Very heavy duty, for more of an every day pair you could do worse than these.............. http://www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-xpedition-iii/p1637
    Too lightweight for me. In my note I meant to say "great all year rounders" rather than "great all rounders" but having said that they are actually light and very comfy. Hardly any breaking in and I hardly notice I am wearing them.
    Gray

Master
    Hmm, got mee thinking it might be time to invest, probably timberlands, something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timberland-M...V110Q8KG38KXMJ

Any good?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Welcome to TZ! What boots are they?
    They are Galway Boots made by Edward Green. Expensive but I got them for about a third of the original price as they had been used for a photo shoot. Should last for years with a bit of care.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoki View Post
    Not sure I am quite on the same page as those discussing goretex boots but I need to find a way to afford a pair of edward green galways for this time of year.
    Well spotted. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    Hmm, got mee thinking it might be time to invest, probably timberlands, something like this:

Any good?
    Timberlands are great ,,,,but the Earth Keeper range tend to have soles that wear very quickly, so I avoid them, apparently the recycled rubber soles are the issue.

Master

Any good?
    Just bought these yesterday

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens/timberla...ts/3228196020/

My fourth pair of Timberlands (various styles) I'm not too heavy on my feet and find the sole wear is fine.

I'm still loving my Loake Wharfdales...just over a year old now

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Just bought these yesterday

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens/timberla...ts/3228196020/

My fourth pair of Timberlands (various styles) I'm not too heavy on my feet and find the sole wear is fine.
    Schuh have 6" classic heritage Timberlands brown leather for Ģ110 (down from Ģ180) in the BF sale. Gotta be a bargain

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens/timberla...ts/3228216020/

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Schuh have 6" classic heritage Timberlands brown leather for Ģ110 (down from Ģ180) in the BF sale. Gotta be a bargain

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens/timberla...ts/3228216020/
    They're the ones I'm stuggling so hard to break in. Lovely boots to look at but the bellows tongue presses on my ankle bone where the seam is. Probably just unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    They're the ones I'm stuggling so hard to break in. Lovely boots to look at but the bellows tongue presses on my ankle bone where the seam is. Probably just unlucky.
    I've had that problem with my lined timberlands. Seem to catch my ankle.

I braved buying the uggs I mentioned earlier in the thread. 40 quid off today and 16 quid cashback so basically 144 instead of 200. It's the fully lined that won me over.

Journeyman
    I'll mostly be sporting Viberg Hiker's during the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Timberlands are great ,,,,but the Earth Keeper range tend to have soles that wear very quickly, so I avoid them, apparently the recycled rubber soles are the issue.
    See my previous post in this thread about fast wearing soles on timberland earthkeepers - have them resoled with a vibrum sole.
    I posted a picture of the resoled boot. .

picked these up yesterday,loake burford,I think it'll take some time to break them in

Master
    I wear Alden Indy boots with commando sole. They work well with jeans and are super comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I wear Alden Indy boots with commando sole. They work well with jeans and are super comfortable.
    Don't know if you can get them in the UK anymore

The website branch309.co.uk has 30% off this weekend if anyone fancies very cheap CAT boots as 'winter beaters'

Hoggs of Fife

Thinking of getting some Stirling Brogues for 112.00.

Any one had or seen these before?

Hopefully they are wide fitting.

I was going to go for the commando sole.

Regards to all

Ben

The website branch309.co.uk has 30% off this weekend if anyone fancies very cheap CAT boots as 'winter beaters'
    Ha I just ordered a pair of NB trainers from them. Ended up costing Ģ28 with postag
    powhice, which seemed pretty good.

These.

Church's MacFarlanes (in Walnut Highland Grain on a commando sole) bought from Richard at http://www.shoehealer.co.uk/

I honestly can't recommend the boots or Richard highly enough.....
    The best boots that I've ever owned and the best online customer-service that that I've ever received.

Craftsman

New Loake Dovedale Boots

Picked these up today fancied a change from brogues, look great need a bit of wearing in.

Loake Dovedale
    "Premium military pattern boot, with tan burnished grain upper leather and a rubber Victory sole, made in England."

Thanks for the heads up! Managed to bag a pair for just over Ģ40

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    See my previous post in this thread about fast wearing soles on timberland earthkeepers - have them resoled with a vibrum sole.
    Yes I understood your reasoning, the result is a better boot than Timberland originally produced.

If you want to go hardcore I can recommend Altberg

A lot of the are still made in North Yorkshire, excellent boots and superb customer service

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have three pairs of altberg's for work, proper working but but I do find the new vibram soles on my defenders a bit slippy. Thier fitting service is great too at the factory, the incline test is something out of the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy 0 View Post
    I'll mostly be sporting Viberg Hiker's during the coming months.

Nice looking boot.

No use in post snow slush with grit though as the salt stains will never come out.

Master
    North Face Ballard boots for me. Bought them for their looks, expecting them to be as poorly made as other North Face boots I've had.
    They've stood up to being worn almost every day for well over a year, and are by far the most comfortable shoes I own. I even wore them in the summer cos they were so comfy (although they did get a bit hot...)

Master
    Also wanted to echo that Timberlands are still very good quality, and it doesn't seem to matter how filthy they get, they wash up really well.

They'll tell you that you shouldn't wash them and that you should use the rubber and the brush, as washing will remove the proofing, but it never seems to have done mine any harm.

The soles do tend to come off at the toe foe me, though. Something which has never happened with the North Face ones.

Master
    Blog Entries
    25 % off Loake wharf dale boots and others here

http://www.thehousedesignerwear.co.u...h-c-brown.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMoore View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! Managed to bag a pair for just over Ģ40
    Which ones did you go for...?

Sending the Timberlands back, size 10s are huge, either swap for 9s 9dont stock half sizes) or try the Cats.

Journeyman
    I have had a couple of different style Alberg boots for work and they are excellent. Only thing is the price keeps increasing. They are quality and will last a few years. Due to finances for other stuff, have had to be a bit tight this time. Picked up a pair of Bates ultralite gortex for Ģ50. Comfy and decent for the price.

For casual wear I am on my second pair of Salomon Quests. Only down size is the gortex does not last for ever, but they wear like slippers.

Sending the Timberlands back, size 10s are huge, either swap for 9s 9dont stock half sizes) or try the Cats.
    Remember all Timberlands are sized in US sizing so are larger than UK sizes.

Master
    Remember all Timberlands are sized in US sizing so are larger than UK sizes.
    They are sized in both and anyway a U.S. 10 is smaller than a UK 10 (equiv to 9.5)

Master
    Yeaap - I went for UK 10 though (thats my normal sizing) and even with thick socks these are easily a size too large...

Master
    Timberlands stretch a LOT too, so err on the smaller side.

I went for these ones http://www.branch309.co.uk/mens/cate...ts/6201486230/
    With the code another member kindly posted it took the cost to just over Ģ40

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Can I ask wher you had them resoled?

cheers

Can I ask wher you had them resoled?

cheers
    Had Timberland resoled at Timson, currently having some Red Wing done with Vibram at Timson

They are sized in both and anyway a U.S. 10 is smaller than a UK 10 (equiv to 9.5)
    Feel free to scroll down

http://www.shoesizechart.us/B/Timberland

Yes, Craig is correct.

Craftsman
    When itīs really shitty outside here in Stockholm I wear my Gaziano & Girling Thorpe. On the MH71-last. Double Dainite and storm welt. Very comfty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    When itīs really shitty outside here in Stockholm I wear my Gaziano & Girling Thorpe. On the MH71-last. Double Dainite and storm welt. Very comfty.
    I googled them as I hadn't heard of the make - how much?!? Wow, at that price I wouldn't take them out of the safe! Nice looking boots though...