closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Next time you’re buying Work boots try Haix XR3 I swear by them now so comfortable and seem to have magical properties of warm in winter and cool in summer

http://www.brixworkwear.com/brand/ha...work-boot.html
    They look incredible! Shame i have already bought the Cats, they arrived today actually and feel great but will try a pair of the XR3's

I used to drive XR3's years ago ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    They look incredible! Shame i have already bought the Cats, they arrived today actually and feel great but will try a pair of the XR3's

I used to drive XR3's years ago ;)
    They're like the old xr3 only faster with better cornering 🤪
    Yeah give them a try next time best I've used by a long shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just scored the last size 10 of these Cat Glenrock mock toes at 50% off (other sizes still there). They'll be replacing my 13 year old Cat chukkas which have had a very hard life but are still completely intact. Fantastic build quality, 100% recommend them. Just fancied some fresh comfort and a new look.

https://www.usc.co.uk/caterpillar-gl...saAgFZEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I popped into Johnsons Shoes today ( shops around NW Surrey ) on the off chance they’d have a pair of Panama Jack’s in their sale. No luck but found a couple of pairs of Cheaney’s & Loakes and one pair of RedWing chukkas. They were slightly different to the pair I was wearing, padded lining and soft padded insoles, for £99! Rude not to I thought.

Well apparently, so I’ve been informed, these are the old style Chukka from Red-Wing. According to the tag the year of manufacture says 04/2008.
    So it looks like, as great as the Red-Wing chukkas are they’re not half the boot they used to be!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Paraboot are excellent. I know of one stockist here in Edinburgh for them.
    With the Norwegian welt they are really tough. They manufacture their own rubber soles, real quality. I’ve even got Norwegian welt slip-ons 😎.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Another advocate of Paraboot here. I have a pair of their shoes and they're phenomenal. The problem I have with them is that the sole is laterally quite stiff and I have a weak left ankle so on uneven surfaces I sometimes twist my ankle. That's why a pair of Panama Jack Aviators landed last week and I'm really pleased with them. Comfortable straight out of the box, warm but we'll regulated indoors, and they look cool

Disappointed with my 3 year old Cheaneys...

^^ They don’t look like you’ve been very kind to them to be fair.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Modern quality just not what up to standard on most things...even premium brands....sad but increasingly true... :(

I have quite a few “dressier”/posher boots, Trickers, Church, Sanders, Cheaney; and some Docs and cheapo Cats for really filthy weather. For the middle ground of “presentable but I don’t mind wearing in crap weather” these Grensons fit the bill for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB1969 View Post
    Modern quality just not what up to standard on most things...even premium brands....sad but increasingly true... :(
    That..........and acid sweaty feet

Blog Entries
    Ze Paraboot!

Way back when I needed a black uniform waterproof boot, I used to wear Lowa mountain boots, absolutely stellar and if you’ve ever had a pair you’ll know what I’m talking about. Apparently first designed and made for German mountain troops. Nowadays I need something a bit more ‘civvy’ tend to go for Merrells. I do have a pair of quite old brashers that used to be my cliff path boots that are pretty decent...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Way back when I needed a black uniform waterproof boot, I used to wear Lowa mountain boots, absolutely stellar and if you’ve ever had a pair you’ll know what I’m talking about. Apparently first designed and made for German mountain troops. Nowadays I need something a bit more ‘civvy’ tend to go for Merrells. I do have a pair of quite old brashers that used to be my cliff path boots that are pretty decent...
    I've still got my lowas love them

Journeyman
    For the worst weather, altbergs. Superb boots when looked after properly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Ze Paraboot!

Lovely boots, & IMO up with the best I've seen on this thread.

Blog Entries
    Cheers! I do get an occasional e-mail when a frenchman has a pair in my size, good prices !

Master
    They should have been re-soled before it got to that

Daddel, who is your French bloke? Secret contact or do you fancy sharing?

Grand Master
    Not strictly winter but I have just got a pair of Crockett and Jones Chelsea Lingfield Boots and they are rather dandy

RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I umm’d and aah’d for quite a while before deciding to get some copper goat Tiger Moths, only to find they were sold out and now discontinued. I e-mailed Cheaney and they came straight back saying the’d locates a pair of size 11s for me in a store and had called ahead to reserve them.

Arrived today and I absolutely love them! I was worried they may be a bit ‘costume’, but they’re really very smart. And sooo comfy.
    I had the same debate about the "costume" element, and changed my mind when I saw them in the shop (I had gone in looking to try something else, saw them and couldn't resist).

Across in the states just now so got myself some new Irish Setters.

I bought my first pair of Red Wings today. I decided to go for a pair of 2954 Cooper Moc boots. I’ll post a pic of them tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to break them in?

Journeyman
    Damn this thread!

My new Red Wing Cooper boots in Amber Portage oil tanned leather. I wanted a pair of moc toed boots but didn’t want the traditional full length sole. The Vibram mini lug sole with a heel was eaxctly what I was looking for.

Panama Jacks Question

How do their shoes size up, do they come up small or bang on from peoples experience? Can anyone also say if they work for a wider fit?

Thanks,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    How do their shoes size up, do they come up small or bang on from peoples experience? Can anyone also say if they work for a wider fit?

Thanks,

Mark.
    Dooh thought we were talking about Red Wing

The sizing is crazy except for the Chukka boots, they actually are to size.

Also the leather is stiff as heck for a while.

It's best to look at the reviews on the US web page or go to the shop in London as they have the full stock and half sizes.

https://www.redwinglondon.com

http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/mens-footwear

I purchased a pair of Rovers in store in London and they're a UK size 7 I'm a UK size 8 in their Chukkas.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/US...r-copper-02950
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 9th February 2018 at 14:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I bought my first pair of Red Wings today. I decided to go for a pair of 2954 Cooper Moc boots. I’ll post a pic of them tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to break them in?
    http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/US...ral-3-oz-97104 << lots of it and try and wear the boots daily for short time periods.

Craftsman

Thanks,

Mark.
    I took a chance on a pair of Panama Jack 03 Aviators with the fluffy inner lining from amazon last week after reading this thread. Size 10 for me fits perfectly so no complaints. Would be a 9 in Barkers shoes and a 9 and half elsewhere.

Best boots I've ever had.

It's winter boot time

Thanks,

Mark.
    Same as Grenson Archie/Freds/Stanleys for me, I.e. on the large side.

Master
    I got a pair of standard Panama Jack chukkas for Christmas and find the sizing spot on. Mine are EU48 with is 12.5/13. I'm actually a 12-12.5 but as I've got wide feet I often have to get a 13, but the PJ's are perfect.

What did take a bit of getting used to was how loose they feel as I'm used to wearing hiking trainers that I can cinch nice and tight on my feet, whereas the chukkas being that bit higher don't tighten anywhere near as much. But now I'm used to them they're fine and very very comfy, even when traipsing around town all day in them.

Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    I took a chance on a pair of Panama Jack 03 Aviators with the fluffy inner lining from amazon last week after reading this thread. Size 10 for me fits perfectly so no complaints. Would be a 9 in Barkers shoes and a 9 and half elsewhere.

Best boots I've ever had.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panama-Jack...apa&th=1&psc=1

They're up on Amazon for £87. Just ordered a pair as "come in handys". At that price they can keep my Glasgows company.

The current duo and then old vs new for comparison. They tend to go quite light over time but when you clean them and apply the tinned wax they darken again. Obviously my old ones could do with another clean and wax.

Sizing is a mess, I have some red wing postal shoes too and you just can’t order online. Unless you’re buying the *exact* same shoe/boot you will need to try on a pair or order 2-3 pairs and return the rest. It’s all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/US...ral-3-oz-97104 << lots of it and try and wear the boots daily for short time periods.
    Thanks. I’ve ordered the oiled leather care kit and have been wearing the boots indoors and for a couple of trips out. So far no issues with them. I'm really pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    I'd agree with this. Moc toes thankfully give plenty of room so breaking them in shouldn't be too difficult in cmparison to some of the other Red Wing shoes. For cleaning I usually alternate between the mink oil (helps keep them water resistant) and the leather conditioner.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sapphir renauvatur works great on red wings.

Grand Master
    Mine are struggling too, not the sole but the card in the heels and lining has gone
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

This is why I don’t like shoes with white soles.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    This is why I don’t like shoes with white soles.
    Yeah, I’m with you there. They’re great when clean and quite easy to clean but boots like Timberlands are 100x easier to live with. When you need to sole the red wings again you have the option of which sole so can change but white looks best.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yeah, I’m with you there. They’re great when clean and quite easy to clean but boots like Timberlands are 100x easier to live with. When you need to sole the red wings again you have the option of which sole so can change but white looks best.
    I bought the Cooper boots specifically because they have a black heeled sole.

Craftsman
    How do the Panama Jack Aviators fit? I’m an 11.5 and debating between 11 and 12 as I take an 11 in a Loake 1880 Burford boot so any help would be appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Had three pairs of Redwings over the years and my current Moc Toes have done two winters.

Don’t be put off by white soles, I use detox bog wipes on the soles ever couple of weeks and they come up like new, I haven’t done these for two weeks.

Still my go to over Grenson Fred’s, Diemme’s and Loake Burford’s

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    How do the Panama Jack Aviators fit? I’m an 11.5 and debating between 11 and 12 as I take an 11 in a Loake 1880 Burford boot so any help would be appreciated!
    Not sure about the aviators but I have the Amur I’m usually a size 9 in pretty much everything and a size 9 in Panama jacks is spot on for me. Try and buy from amazon or somewhere with a similar returns policy if they’re not right.

Craftsman
    Not sure about the aviators but I have the Amur I’m usually a size 9 in pretty much everything and a size 9 in Panama jacks is spot on for me. Try and buy from amazon or somewhere with a similar returns policy if they’re not right.
    Thanks, I think I’ll try the 12 initially then.

Not too bad for £80 in a sale.

https://www.ghbass-eu.com/men/boots/...n-leather.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    If they are fur lined, I'd suggest to go 1/2-1 size up.

Craftsman
    I went with a 10 as there was no half sizes on Amazon, they are spot on. Normally a 9 an a half or ten. Only in Barkers did I drop to a 9.

Master
    Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

The season gets earlier every year

Last edited by Middo; 5th September 2018 at 21:35.

Craftsman
    I bought a pair of Sorel Boots Ankeny Mid Hiker, they worked rather well in a lousy Scottish winter

Timberland is good if you have wide stompers

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My top three are Hanwag, Rogue and Wolverine. I can highly recommend anything from anyone of those companies as I've put them all through there paces in some pretty harsh condition in Wales.