TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Master

and Aviators which are more rugged

Master
    Those aviators look fantastic

Master
    This thread is excellent and has been really useful. Target for post Xmas sales is either a pair of Panama Jack Aviators or Red Wing Iron Rangers

Master
    Despite being less than impressed by timberland over recent years these caught my eye

https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en...-grey-a1jdcc64

I’d read about helcor a while back and dismissed it because of my experience with timberland boots failing in short order of late, however I’ve decided to take a punt on these after reading some reviews and them being quite different to most boots I’ve seen.
    I’ve been tempted by the Panama jack aviators and the redwing iron rangers (resoled obviously) but they’re just so similar to the many boots I already own I wanted something a little different and these are definitely different lol I’m hoping they’re little bit less flashy in real life but I’ll let you all know I’ll also update if they fail like my last few pair of timberlands within a year.

Update on my Panama jack Amur which have now been worn loads over the last month or so they’re extremely comfortable warmer than standard boots of this type because of the goretex lining but they’re not warm like I expect the aviators are. Despite very little care (wiped with a damp cloth) they’re still looking superb if these last as expected they’re still favourites for my go to casual boots the tread is excellent on the ice and snow we’ve been having too.

Master
    Funny you mention the soles on the iron rangers as that's my main reservation with them. They don't look quite up to the icy conditions we get fairly frequently here. The Beckmans may be a better option but I like the style a little less:

https://www.stuartslondon.com/red-wi...ot-09061-p1708

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Funny you mention the soles on the iron rangers as that's my main reservation with them. They don't look quite up to the icy conditions we get fairly frequently here. The Beckmans may be a better option but I like the style a little less:

https://www.stuartslondon.com/red-wi...ot-09061-p1708
    The beckmans just don’t look as good though do they, Ive heard you can get iron rangers with a mini lug sole (similar to timberland etal) but the colour range isn’t as good, personally I’d buy the iron rangers in the colour I liked and send them for resole instantly seems a shame but that would make my perfect boot. Having said all that though I’ve been so impressed with my Panama jacks who provide an excellent sole I may never get round to buying iron rangers and they’re much cheaper to boot (sorry)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Iron rangers are a bit meh, I bought a pair ages ago only to put them back in the box and never wear them. I prefer my moc 875’s.

Master
    It's looking like it's narrowing down to Panama Jacks. Wouldn't mind trying Trickers but never owned boots before so not willing to spend that level of cash to find I don't get on with them

Craftsman
    Been well chuffed with my Panama jacks this last few weeks with the snow and freezing temps, great bit of kit!

Master
    It's looking like it's narrowing down to Panama Jacks. Wouldn't mind trying Trickers but never owned boots before so not willing to spend that level of cash to find I don't get on with them
    I love my Tricker’s but they’re a much dressier option in my view my Panama jacks certainly get the most wear for what we do Tricker’s are more going out out type boot rather than just out ;)

Master
    Thoughts I've seen so far is that the Panamas come up true to size. Would you guys concur?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Iron rangers are a bit meh, I bought a pair ages ago only to put them back in the box and never wear them. I prefer my moc 875’s.
    They’ll be snapped up on SC. Not size 10 by any chance, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    ...personally I’d buy the iron rangers in the colour I liked and send them for resole instantly...
    Where might you send them? I’ve got a pair of leather soled Timberlands which are lethal in the wet.

Master
    Thoughts I've seen so far is that the Panamas come up true to size. Would you guys concur?
    They were spot on to size for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Where might you send them? I’ve got a pair of leather soled Timberlands which are lethal in the wet.
    I've read good things about these guys

http://www.shoe-repairs.co.uk/node/24

That's where I'd send redwings, for timberland a decent local guy that could do vibram or similar

I've read good things about these guys

http://www.shoe-repairs.co.uk/node/24

That's where I'd send redwings, for timberland a decent local guy that could do vibram or similar

Thanks!

Master
    I also ended up with two pairs of Panama Jacks after reading this thread. Aviator and 03. Excellent boots and so well made. They came up true to size for me as well. Mark, if you want to try a couple of sizes then Amazon and Zalando is free delivery and returns.

I’ve had my panama jacks for a couple of seasons now and they’re very comfortable and still look as good as new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    Mark, if you want to try a couple of sizes then Amazon and Zalando is free delivery and returns.
    Awesome. Cheers Lee. Hope you're well sir

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    They’ll be snapped up on SC. Not size 10 by any chance, are they?
    Nope they are a UK9 and need to a thick sock to fit. I have just ordered some new flat waxed laces and see if that look suits better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Nope they are a UK9 and need to a thick sock to fit. I have just ordered some new flat waxed laces and see if that look suits better.
    Oooh size 9 you say keep me in mind if they don't work for you

Oooh size 9 you say keep me in mind if they don't work for you

Thanks for the advice on this thread. I suffer from cold feet and have just put up with it, until reading the recommendations on here. Panama Jack isn't a company I'd heard of before but the sheepskin lined Aviator boots looked perfect. I placed an order on Sunday and they arrived this morning. They seem very well made and will give them an outing tomorrow night at the football.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I bought these Toms last week:

Very comfortable, warm and waterproof

https://www.allsole.com/boots-clothi...FcuxUQodVOsDBg

Master
    Despite being less than impressed by timberland over recent years these caught my eye

https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en...-grey-a1jdcc64

I’d read about helcor a while back and dismissed it because of my experience with timberland boots failing in short order of late, however I’ve decided to take a punt on these after reading some reviews and them being quite different to most boots I’ve seen.
    I’ve been tempted by the Panama jack aviators and the redwing iron rangers (resoled obviously) but they’re just so similar to the many boots I already own I wanted something a little different and these are definitely different lol I’m hoping they’re little bit less flashy in real life but I’ll let you all know I’ll also update if they fail like my last few pair of timberlands within a year.

Update

They arrived tonight

Initial impressions are very good, they're a lot warmer than normal timberland and more comfortable in the footbed. The helcor leather feels really strange my daughter says they feel like a tree lol which tbh they do feel a bit like bark, they've got 400g insulation in them so pretty warm. Build quality seems good but my experience with timberland means I'm not sure they'll stand the test of time I'll update as time goes on.

Overall I'm happy because they're so different from all my other boots maybe not to everyones taste but I think they look good maybe the pyjama bottoms don't do them any favours lol.

I’ve found you have to be careful with Timberland boots as they seem to have a two tier choice in terms of quality.
    The £150 - £200 range are still good, they should be heavy weight with full leather lining.
    The cheaper range are the ones with fabric lining and are lighter in weight and often seem to be on offer.

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’ve found you have to be careful with Timberland boots as they seem to have a two tier choice in terms of quality.
    The £150 - £200 range are still good, they should be heavy weight with full leather lining.
    The cheaper range are the ones with fabric lining and are lighter in weight and often seem to be on offer.
    To be more specific just stick with Timberland Classic Premium 6” Boot.

That’s all you need to know when buying Timberland. All the rest are poo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    The last two pairs that failed me where the premiums leather lined etc I just don't think they're what they where anymore. Time will tell with these I guess but I don't have the faith I once did. If it wasn't for the novelty factor of these I'd have just bought more Panama jacks they seem far better made these days like timberland once was

Blog Entries
    I was perusing the boots in the Timberland shop this evening as the "upto 40% off" sale caught my eye - as said above when you touch and feel them, most of them feel cheaply made nowadays. I have a few Timberland items I bought about 10-15 years ago and still get use out of them on a weekly basis. I doubt any of the current range would stand up to that kind of usage.

A couple of weeks back, I did buy the CAT boots below and am pleased with them for the price I paid (which was around £50-60, though they seem to have gone up since then...)

https://www.shoeaholics.com/men/form...er-caterpillar

https://www.shoeaholics.com/men/form...er-caterpillar
    Last edited by vagabond; 21st December 2017 at 23:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I was perusing the boots in the Timberland shop this evening as the "upto 40% off" sale caught my eye - as said above when you touch and feel them, most of them feel cheaply made nowadays. I have a few Timberland items I bought about 10-15 years ago and still get use out of them on a weekly basis. I doubt any of the current range would stand up to that kind of usage.
    That sums it up they just don't feel the same as they used to and certainly don't last as long, it was the sale that caught my eye too. I've been comparing these new timberlands to my Panama Jacks and they're just not finished as well with as much care considering they where both similar price we are definitely paying for the brand with timberland these days. My 1997 timberland are well worn and battered but still holding together well my 2 recent pairs where literally falling apart within 12 months of light use.

Took delivery of a pair of Panama Jack 03 C41 velour grass honey a couple of days ago. Have to say I'm very impressed by them and seem great quality for the price. Their exchange process was very good as well and only took about a week from my sending off the original ones to me receiving these.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Took delivery of a pair of Panama Jack 03 C41 velour grass honey a couple of days ago. Have to say I'm very impressed by them and seem great quality for the price. Their exchange process was very good as well and only took about a week from my sending off the original ones to me receiving these.

They look good, what was wrong with the original one's? May have missed you saying in the thread.

They look good, what was wrong with the original one's? May have missed you saying in the thread.

Oops sorry forgot to mention that the original ones I ordered where slightly too small. I wanted them in a slightly darker colour, C45 I think it was but supply is low and only a few sizes left. I chanced my arm on it but the 43 was a bit too small for comfort.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Oops sorry forgot to mention that the original ones I ordered where slightly too small. I wanted them in a slightly darker colour, C45 I think it was but supply is low and only a few sizes left. I chanced my arm on it but the 43 was a bit too small for comfort.

Ah brilliant although I was kind of hoping for a fault to give me an idea if I should be looking for something lol.

Master
    Picked up these in the Cheaney sale - "copper goatskin" Hurricane boots from their Aviator range. Very comfortable and quite fun.

Blog Entries
    Very nice!

They look a bit like my (black) Paraboot, I love a captoe.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Do any of you guys have experience in treating Red Wing boots at all. I've had a pair of 875's for about 6months now. I've given them an occasional wipe down and that's it, I know you can get mink oil for them but just wondering when it would be used? is it purely to keep them waterproof? or is it more to treat the leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    Do any of you guys have experience in treating Red Wing boots at all. I've had a pair of 875's for about 6months now. I've given them an occasional wipe down and that's it, I know you can get mink oil for them but just wondering when it would be used? is it purely to keep them waterproof? or is it more to treat the leather?

You use mink oil to both condition and waterproof the leather. You can also use the red wing leather restorer occasionaly to help treat the leather. For the white soles/edges, I use toothpaste, a damp cloth and a bit of elbow grease. Seems to work, although I mainly keep my 875's for the summer.

It really depends on how you want your 875's to look. Some folk like the 'patina', other's like it to be as pristine as possible.
    Last edited by zippy; 5th January 2018 at 12:03.

Cheers for the info, I'm pretty happy with them as they are and like the fact they're developing a few marks and scuffs etc.
    I'll get some mink or their natural boot oil and if they look like they're ready I'll give them a good clean and condition.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sapphire renauvater works well on my 875s

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
    Picked up these in the Cheaney sale - "copper goatskin" Hurricane boots from their Aviator range. Very comfortable and quite fun.
    I umm’d and aah’d for quite a while before deciding to get some copper goat Tiger Moths, only to find they were sold out and now discontinued. I e-mailed Cheaney and they came straight back saying the’d locates a pair of size 11s for me in a store and had called ahead to reserve them.

Arrived today and I absolutely love them! I was worried they may be a bit ‘costume’, but they’re really very smart. And sooo comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I umm’d and aah’d for quite a while before deciding to get some copper goat Tiger Moths, only to find they were sold out and now discontinued. I e-mailed Cheaney and they came straight back saying the’d locates a pair of size 11s for me in a store and had called ahead to reserve them.

Arrived today and I absolutely love them! I was worried they may be a bit ‘costume’, but they’re really very smart. And sooo comfy.
    Photos please!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post

I’ve just googled those they look stunning get some real life photos up please

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Very nice!

They look a bit like my (black) Paraboot, I love a captoe.

Paraboot are excellent. I know of one stockist here in Edinburgh for them.

Another Panama Jack newbie. Must say I'm really impressed at how warm these are.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I am no expert in boots but I do find caterpillar excellent, I have worn a pair of 'second shift' boots for 5 years to work and worn the soles out completely but the boots have held up perfectly through ALL environments

I also wear some 'stickshift' and 'colarado' boots out of work and they are very comfortable (but I suppose it depends on the feet) I always struggle with my feet through years of cheap safety boots so they finding something that suits is very important to me

Just ordered some new 'generator' boots for my new job as I have heard good things so fingers crossed

Master
    Blog Entries
    Those cheaneys look like a cooler better made version of iron rangers

*Pic overload!*

Master
    +1 to Panama Jack Boots bought a Pair of their ‘Gael’ model and so so comfortable, for just over £100 I think they are an absolute bargain!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I popped into Johnsons Shoes today ( shops around NW Surrey ) on the off chance they’d have a pair of Panama Jack’s in their sale. No luck but found a couple of pairs of Cheaney’s & Loakes and one pair of RedWing chukkas. They were slightly different to the pair I was wearing, padded lining and soft padded insoles, for £99! Rude not to I thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I am no expert in boots but I do find caterpillar excellent, I have worn a pair of 'second shift' boots for 5 years to work and worn the soles out completely but the boots have held up perfectly through ALL environments

I also wear some 'stickshift' and 'colarado' boots out of work and they are very comfortable (but I suppose it depends on the feet) I always struggle with my feet through years of cheap safety boots so they finding something that suits is very important to me

Just ordered some new 'generator' boots for my new job as I have heard good things so fingers crossed
    Next time you’re buying Work boots try Haix XR3 I swear by them now so comfortable and seem to have magical properties of warm in winter and cool in summer

http://www.brixworkwear.com/brand/ha...work-boot.html