closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1514

Thread: It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I really fancy giving these colabs a go. Has anyone else picked up a pair? The only thing that concerns me is the tread pattern. They don't look great for slip resistance.

Palladium x Finisterre Hiker +

Who doesn’t love a pair of Palladium’s???

I remember seeing Palladium’s in FHM back in the early 90’s and always wanted a pair.

Still got my grey Palladium’s now and look as good as new and a real unique style they have…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Who doesn’t love a pair of Palladium’s???

I remember seeing Palladium’s in FHM back in the early 90’s and always wanted a pair.

Still got my grey Palladium’s now and look as good as new and a real unique style they have…

They'd look good when walking to the shop's for carrot's and pea's.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Just buy a pair of RM Williams and have done with it.

That'll last you a lifetime, through fashion or weather, they will be still on your feet

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk
    I’ve got a pair in the cupboard I haven’t worn in 10 years. Have an odd look like orthopaedic shoes, and haven’t worn all that well. Over-rated imho

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve got a pair in the cupboard I haven’t worn in 10 years. Have an odd look like orthopaedic shoes, and haven’t worn all that well. Over-rated imho
    That’s the trouble with any shoes over time, they go out of fashion.

Great if they last 20 years with numerous resolves, but in my opinion you get bored of them and move on in a maximum of 3 years.

For that reason I stick at the lower end of nice shoes; Loake, Grenson G2.

Coupled with buying them in the sales, you don’t mind if after 2 years of good use they never see the light of day again.

Master
    Bought some Panama Jack boots in 2017
    https://www.panamajackshop.com/uk/en...asgow-igloo-c1

Back in 2017 - finally the sole is wearing through on the heel to the void inside it. Where can I get these re-soled, they don't look like the normal rubber soles from Timpsons (not that I've been into Timpsons to ask)

They are super grippy, I'm normal stood standing firm on icy pavements when kids, wife etc are slipping everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post

Back in 2017 - finally the sole is wearing through on the heel to the void inside it. Where can I get these re-soled, they don't look like the normal rubber soles from Timpsons (not that I've been into Timpsons to ask)

They are super grippy, I'm normal stood standing firm on icy pavements when kids, wife etc are slipping everywhere.
    Not sure where you are based but Google the Brentford Cobbler he is West London
    He has become the go to guy in London for Red Wing, Danner etc. I have used him at least three time and have been more than happy. He will be able to sort Panama Jacks I am sure.
    He has a long lead time (3/4 weeks) but he is a one man band. He takes postal jobs I understand.
    No connection other than he is local to me and I am a repeat customer. (If you like cars he shares a site with the vintage car dealer Duke of London so worth a visit)

Master
    These look like a nice alternative to the now masssively expensive Alden Indy

https://eu.barkershoes.com/collectio...undy-waxy-calf

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    These look like a nice alternative to the now masssively expensive Alden Indy

https://eu.barkershoes.com/collectio...undy-waxy-calf
    So Barker have become the Steinhart of the boot world, they clearly have no shame

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    So Barker have become the Steinhart of the boot world, they clearly have no shame
    probably better made with more expensive materials mind....

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post

I asked the same thing the other year and was directed to these.

https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.u...-boot-repairs/

I've not got round to sending off my Panama Jack's yet but will hopefully in the next month or so

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Less than half price offer on some lovely looking Oliver Sweeney winter boots.

Seriously tempting.

https://www.oliversweeney.com/produc...source=ometria

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice, get them in now, then pump them out on SC in six months for £200. Ker-ching!!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

It's winter boot time

Just dug these out of the cupboard for the inclement weather.

2007 vintage when Timberland made quality boots. Worn in rotation every winter for the last 16 years.

The oiled burnt orange leather is ageing beautifully.

DM 101s in Crazy Horse leather:

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    DM 101s in Crazy Horse leather:

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nice boots, but terrible lacing pattern :)

I get that it’s different and that’s what I was going for. I’ve also found they’re much easier to tie like this and also keep my foot positioned in the centre of the boot better. You can blame ben4watches for the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Master

It's winter boot time

Just dug these out of the cupboard for the inclement weather.

2007 vintage when Timberland made quality boots. Worn in rotation every winter for the last 16 years.

The oiled burnt orange leather is ageing beautifully.

I expect they were pretty fashionable in 2007 or 1998 when East 17 stopped wearing them in 1995. Brian Harvey loved them. They were good quality as time has shown:)
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 2nd December 2023 at 17:00.

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I expect they were pretty fashionable in 2007 or 1998 when East 17 stopped wearing them in 1995. Brian Harvey loved them.
    Ouch and scratch my eyes out, lol. Sh1t, I better put my elongated beanie back in my man drawer.

Quality and a classic style never goes out of fashion.

Used to love my timberland boots but the tat they’ve churned out in recent years means I wouldn’t bother anymore.

Still using my red wings but nearly always the chukkas. The palaver of lacing up the full sized ones each time is tedious.

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Used to love my timberland boots but the tat they’ve churned out in recent years means I wouldn’t bother anymore.
    Exactly.

That is why I still love my pair from 2007, which have stood the test of time and still have many years ahead of them given they get worn in rotation.

I agree about the sh1te quality these days,
    and wouldn’t touch new ones with a barge pole. This, and some shocking styles they churn out.

I have had Red Wings in the past, and I really like them apart from I find their soles are too soft and wear out too quickly. Uppers are bulletproof.

The cost of resole is high when compared to a new pair, so I ended up ditching them.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 2nd December 2023 at 17:24.

Bought a pair of UGG Felton a couple of years ago. Very comfortable, warm and took a 1.2 mile walk in them today

About $250 Canadian. Most I ever paid for a pair of any shoes

No trouble walking in snow when I wore them last year during my walks. previous were Greb Kodiak. Heavy and slid all over the place on the snow

Master
    Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

Some new trickers burfords in marron with a a danite sole have arrived. Proper boot.

I

I’m on the hunt for another pair of red wing Mocs ( 875) if anyone sees any deals.
    Last edited by Middo; 3rd December 2023 at 22:27.

I have had Red Wings in the past, and I really like them apart from I find their soles are too soft and wear out too quickly. Uppers are bulletproof.

The cost of resole is high when compared to a new pair, so I ended up ditching them.
    The cost between a resole and a new pair makes no sense when you can get chukkas on sale half the time.

Not super keen on the white soles in winter but once worn I’ll take them for something a bit more practical.

Master
    The cost between a resole and a new pair makes no sense when you can get chukkas on sale half the time.

Not super keen on the white soles in winter but once worn I’ll take them for something a bit more practical.
    It really is mental isn’t it.

Not had some for years as white soles frustrated me too. Maybe time to revisit and see if my sizing has changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It really is mental isn’t it.

Not had some for years as white soles frustrated me too. Maybe time to revisit and see if my sizing has changed!
    I think I’ll keep and resole the 875 moc toe into a non-white sole whenever it needs doing as they’re £300 and the cost of a new pair would sting. Really wish I bought the 1907 or a more sober version though.

I remember when I got them back in 2015 and wore them to work the first time. Wasn’t in the office 5 mins and someone asked me if they were NHS special needs boots. Never lived it down.

I think I’ll keep and resole the 875 moc toe into a non-white sole whenever it needs doing as they’re £300 and the cost of a new pair would sting. Really wish I bought the 1907 or a more sober version though.

I remember when I got them back in 2015 and wore them to work the first time. Wasn’t in the office 5 mins and someone asked me if they were NHS special needs boots. Never lived it down.
    Hahahaha, that hilarious! The 875 look too rugged as well IMO. It's why I've tended to stay away from Red Wing - even the chukka are a bit annoying, but works better than the boot.

I'm looking for a boot for this winter, it's frustrating how expensive some boots have become - especially in the 'work boot' category. Definitely not splashing for Viberg, I'd like Wolverine, but tough to get here. Red Wing still offer decent value, maybe the blacksmith is in tune with what I like.

Trickers still make great stuff, but priced out of my budget, and technically less of a work boot heritage.

Better laces?

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Hahahaha, that hilarious! The 875 look too rugged as well IMO. It's why I've tended to stay away from Red Wing - even the chukka are a bit annoying, but works better than the boot.

I'm looking for a boot for this winter, it's frustrating how expensive some boots have become - especially in the 'work boot' category. Definitely not splashing for Viberg, I'd like Wolverine, but tough to get here. Red Wing still offer decent value, maybe the blacksmith is in tune with what I like.

Trickers still make great stuff, but priced out of my budget, and technically less of a work boot heritage.
    It’s a weird market for boots. Looking for Chelsea boots to slip on/off and Charles Tyrwhitt charge £200? Same price as Loake and Oliver Sweeney. Some of the Loake stuff is £150. At that rate I’d rather go to Clarks or M&S.

Tempted by the Red Wing Chelsea boots but wary of the NHS look.

It’s a weird market for boots. Looking for Chelsea boots to slip on/off and Charles Tyrwhitt charge £200? Same price as Loake and Oliver Sweeney. Some of the Loake stuff is £150. At that rate I’d rather go to Clarks or M&S.

I’m pretty sure Loake used to make the Charles Tyrwhitt shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

Think that’s right yeah, but you’d imagine they’d be price lower than the Loakes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

I think they used to do 2 ranges and loake used to make the more expensive range

Think that’s right yeah, but you’d imagine they’d be price lower than the Loakes
    If the are cheaper, be careful they are not made in India, as Loake manufacturer their design range there (or what used to be called their design range).

I can't be dealing with the NHS look at all - the chukka's just about work, but in boots it's too much.

I'm not a huge fan of Loake, i prefer paying more for Cheaney level or then as you say, dropping down to a lower level.

Master

It's winter boot time

I have some beautiful brown suede chelsea boots from Trickers - gigio is the style were only £100-130 from the sample sale cant find anything other than a stock pic as below Ive also got some Cheaneys in leather much harder wearing and for me I prefer the trickers but again they were picked up in the sample sale - so may well be worth holding out and going down that route

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 5th December 2023 at 17:36.

Peeps throwing shade on Loakie boys...

Picked up these smokers in the Black Friday mark downs £230. Think they are decent for that, and have been more than happy with their 1880 range for work shoes to be fair.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

Picked up these smokers in the Black Friday mark downs £230. Think they are decent for that, and have been more than happy with their 1880 range for work shoes to be fair.

Like a low leg coniston, winner

Master
    Blog Entries

There were some movs with a black instead of white sole, think they were all short run though. https://www.redwinglondon.com/collec...lpine-mac-8829

There is always the roughneck with the black lug style. https://www.redwinglondon.com/collec.../products/8146

Slightly cheaper but still made in England, I bought a pair of Chelsea boots from Solovair Outlet for about £85.
    They were listed as factory seconds but I’ll be damned if I can see any reason for them ending up in the cast off bin.

The outlet is brilliant when you hit on for your size. These NPS-Solovair high gloss, six eyelet brogue boots were delivered today and are spot on.
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Slightly cheaper but still made in England, I bought a pair of Chelsea boots from Solovair Outlet for about £85.
    They were listed as factory seconds but I’ll be damned if I can see any reason for them ending up in the cast off bin.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

Can't help thinking that these would be improved with the addition of a pair of leather gaiters.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Can't help thinking that these would be improved with the addition of a pair of leather gaiters.

Will do when I go for a hack across the back fields

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I have some beautiful brown suede chelsea boots from Trickers - gigio is the style were only £100-130 from the sample sale cant find anything other than a stock pic as below Ive also got some Cheaneys in leather much harder wearing and for me I prefer the trickers but again they were picked up in the sample sale - so may well be worth holding out and going down that route
    Great looking boots there, much too smart for me. Would be Sunday best and not for popping out.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    There were some movs with a black instead of white sole, think they were all short run though. https://www.redwinglondon.com/collec...lpine-mac-8829

There is always the roughneck with the black lug style. https://www.redwinglondon.com/collec.../products/8146
    Both nice, thanks. I’ve just been on the USA site and quite a lot is available in wide fit but there are only two or three options on the London site. Forgot their sizing was so restricted. Should have bought some when I was in NY in Feb!

Master
    Winter came very early this year I was a bit late with my winter boots. Just got the last pair out of the box, 2016 Viberg service boot.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=china;6316224]Winter came very early this year I was a bit late with my winter boots. Just got the last pair out of the box, 2016 Viberg service boot.

Now they are very nice indeed

For anyone interested, here's a link to a nice write up on Red Wing's Mocs

https://footwearplusmagazine.com/sty...oved-all-over/

Yes, I know I'm a little sad, but I am a shoe maker.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 7th December 2023 at 01:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    For anyone interested, here's a link to a nice write up on Red Wing's Mocs

https://footwearplusmagazine.com/sty...oved-all-over/

Yes, I know I'm a little sad, but I am a shoe maker.
    Thanks for that, interesting reading.

Master
    Was in Bicester Village yesterday eve and popped into Clarkes for a quick look.
    Came out with a pair of Craftdale 2 Hi boots for a whole £38. Yes, £38!

Obviously I didn’t need another pair of boots but that price was just too good.

https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/craft...-hi/26169002-p

For those that are interested in some well made, but very basic boots, try searching for Rufflander on Ebay. William Lennon, who make them, are selling off some surplus stock of very few models. They are thebootfactory1899 on Ebay

I just bought a pair of their uncapped cadet boots (listing now gone), they are accepting reasonable offers.
    Under £30 for hand made in Yorkshire boots is a bargain.
    These Rufflanders are not really waterproof as they are unlined, but they are great boots, I have a pair of the short safety boots, which are bombproof, and a custom made pair in tan with Vibram soles that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    For those that are interested in some well made, but very basic boots, try searching for Rufflander on Ebay. William Lennon, who make them, are selling off some surplus stock of very few models. They are thebootfactory1899 on Ebay

I just bought a pair of their uncapped cadet boots (listing now gone), they are accepting reasonable offers.
    Under £30 for hand made in Yorkshire boots is a bargain.
    These Rufflanders are not really waterproof as they are unlined, but they are great boots, I have a pair of the short safety boots, which are bombproof, and a custom made pair in tan with Vibram soles that I love.
    Had a pair of William Lennon boots - really excellent and great value.