timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Hybrid View

Master
    Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

So was going to get some grenson Fred's, however I am not feeling the brogue this season. Has anyone tried red wing blacksmiths?
    Last edited by Middo; 23rd November 2014 at 02:01.

Blog Entries
    Chucking it down in Norwich today and my Grenson commando soled Fred's were just the job.

This will be the second winter and still feeling the love.

I did try some Barker Harrison's a few weeks ago and they looked and felt fantastic.

Paul

Grand Master
    Typically its The Cheaney Tweed C or Red Wig Moc Toe, but the timberlands occasionally get a look in

RIAC

Craftsman
    I really like the look of the RedWings and I am very tempted apart from the price, not a lot else to choose from in the moc-toe boot in the UK though.

How do you find the RedWings hold up? I fear that the soles may be a soft compound with a shallow tread, which means I would kill them in under 6 months. Any experience of having them resoled?

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Typically its The Cheaney Tweed C or Red Wig Moc Toe, but the timberlands occasionally get a look in

You can't go wrong with Red Wing. Got my first pair about 10 years ago with the knowledge that they can be re soled, thing is never had the need to re sole any any they have been worn loads, just end up buying more.

Check out this - http://americandigest.org/mt-archive...better_tha.php

Grand Master
    Red Wings are the nuts, Son Of A Stag is where I buy most all my stuff from for casual wear

This video is a nice insight

RIAC

Yuketen Maine Guide are great too

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I really like the look of the RedWings and I am very tempted apart from the price
    Woah - prices have moved on for these boots.

I had a pair in the early-mid 90s which full price I remember cost me £85 from a shop in Richmond. Same boots are now knockin' on £250.

Now, I know about inflation, but these boots must be trackin' house prices.

I always mention Thorogood when this comes up. Genuine US made work/winterboots, as good as Redwing and around 50% of the UK price. For real bad weather a pair of Sorel are good value too.

A selection of tan casual boots, but what have they got to do with winter?
    Gray

Grand Master
    Thats right just casual boots, no good at living through a urban winter and looking good at the same time !!!!!!

Try owning them for a few working winters and then let me know how you feel
    RIAC

Master
    I wanted something with a Commando sole for the winter (walking to the pub a couple of miles away, etc.) whilst still looking nice.

I know Oliver Sweeney get some bad press but I've gone with these which are a little more elegant than some of the chunkier G fitting boots I was looking at (e.g. loake bedale)...

The Redwings don't do it for me unfortunately.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    A selection of tan casual boots, but what have they got to do with winter?

Indeed, when buying boots for the winter, Gore-tex is a must, without it you simply have a pair of boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Indeed, when buying boots for the winter, Gore-tex is a must, without it you simply have a pair of boots.
    I have a pair of these but with a side zip and it has to be said they are great all rounders. They combine Goretex, thinsulate and vibram in one package. https://www.batesfootwear.com/UK/en-...t?dimensions=0
    Last edited by gray; 24th November 2014 at 19:44.
    Gray

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I have a pair of these but with a side zip and it has to be said they are great all rounders. They combine Goretex, thinsulate and vibram in one package. https://www.batesfootwear.com/UK/en-...t?dimensions=0
    Very heavy duty, for more of an every day pair you could do worse than these..............

http://www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-xpedition-iii/p1637

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Very heavy duty, for more of an every day pair you could do worse than these.............. http://www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-xpedition-iii/p1637
    Too lightweight for me. In my note I meant to say "great all year rounders" rather than "great all rounders" but having said that they are actually light and very comfy. Hardly any breaking in and I hardly notice I am wearing them.
    Gray

Perfect for the stroll from car to coffee shop in inclement weather - I get it now.
    Gray

I think that every bloke should have a pair classic Timberlands in their collection.

Not the very light wheat coloured boot which I think are a bit chavvy, but the darker nubuck rust coloured ones or chocolate brown leather.

I've had a pair on the go for 20 years now. In that time I'm currently on my second pair, and these are seven years old and just broken in. I've got the darker nubuck boots, and although I've got plenty of other boots, these are the first I go to when the weather is particularly crappy.

Significantly cheaper than redwings too. As a previous owner if redwing boots, I don't get them at the price point they are now asking.

I picked up a pair of Red Wing Logger boots with a proper vibram commando sole which was excellent in the snow and ice last year. Maybe not to everyones taste but I have been looking at getting a pair of Red Wing ice cutter this year to compliment the Logger's, again with the vibram sole but with a wool lined interior.

As for holding up, my Logger's hardly show any wear on the vibram sole and with a bit of regular cleaning still look as new and that was with being used regularly. I also find them to be extremely comfortable after being broken in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I picked up a pair of Red Wing Logger boots with a proper vibram commando sole which was excellent in the snow and ice last year. Maybe not to everyones taste but I have been looking at getting a pair of Red Wing ice cutter this year to compliment the Logger's, again with the vibram sole but with a wool lined interior.

As for holding up, my Logger's hardly show any wear on the vibram sole and with a bit of regular cleaning still look as new and that was with being used regularly. I also find them to be extremely comfortable after being broken in.
    Only problem with most Vibram soles is poor grip when it's wet, although they don't wear much. I prefer a softer sole which gives me an excuse to buy a new pair when they wear out!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Significantly cheaper than redwings too. As a previous owner if redwing boots, I don't get them at the price point they are now asking.
    I agree. I still have a serviceable pair of Chelsea Ranchers which are probably 10 years old, but wouldn't buy any more Red Wings as they seem to me to be fashion boots at Northampton prices these days. And I believe the quality has dropped away too - I bought a pair of their Beckmans a while ago and sold them on as the leather wasn't up to much.

N
    Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 23rd November 2014 at 14:28.

Master
    I think that every bloke should have a pair classic Timberlands in their collection.

Not the very light wheat coloured boot which I think are a bit chavvy, but the darker nubuck rust coloured ones or chocolate brown leather.

I've had a pair on the go for 20 years now. In that time I'm currently on my second pair, and these are seven years old and just broken in. I've got the darker nubuck boots, and although I've got plenty of other boots, these are the first I go to when the weather is particularly crappy.

On the strength of noTAGlove's post above (no pressure) and after [finally] coming to the realisation that Vans Classic Slip-Ons are really not suitable for year-round wear I've just ordered myself a pair of these:

Timberland Heritage 6-Inch Premium

Decided to go half a size down ordering UK10.5 instead of my usual UK11 after a bit of Googling, handy because the Timberland online store were very limited on size availability due to them being on sale; £170 down to £119 plus an extra 10% off and a cheeky 5.25% back from Topcashback with free shipping. Depending on how I get on with these and if the sale is still on I might splash out on a pair of the "Redwood Smooth" waterproofs

I also quite fancy a pair of the Thorogood 6" Moc Toes but didn't fancy resorting to eBay just yet.

I'll let you know how I get on

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    On the strength of noTAGlove's post above (no pressure) and after [finally] coming to the realisation that Vans Classic Slip-Ons are really not suitable for year-round wear I've just ordered myself a pair of these:

Timberland Heritage 6-Inch Premium

Decided to go half a size down ordering UK10.5 instead of my usual UK11 after a bit of Googling, handy because the Timberland online store were very limited on size availability due to them being on sale; £170 down to £119 plus an extra 10% off and a cheeky 5.25% back from Topcashback with free shipping. Depending on how I get on with these and if the sale is still on I might splash out on a pair of the "Redwood Smooth" waterproofs

I also quite fancy a pair of the Thorogood 6" Moc Toes but didn't fancy resorting to eBay just yet.

I'll let you know how I get on
    I do like those. Great colour too.

Bumping this, as autumn has (well and truly) arrived. I'd mentioned my great experience with classic Timberlands last year, and I was in John Lewis today when I noticed a burnished brown pair on the sale rack. It said they were £85 and down from £110. Well, someone got it wrong because they are £160 all day long.

But seeing there wasn't much of a discount from the incorrect start price, I cheekily asked for an extra discount given a couple of light scratches, and was promptly offered the boots for £70. I naturally snapped their hand off. So a nice pair of burnised brown heritage classic Timberlands for the winter - that's me done.

And next to my (now) 8 year old burnt orange pair.

I bought a pair of sheepskin lined think! boots earlier this year. Think! have supplanted ecco as my eurobrand de choix when it comes to mass produced footwear because they are just as comfy (if not more ) , not that much more expensive and are a massive step up in quality
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I bought some Loake Mulligan (think Bedale with hooks and a commando sole) in the summer sales for dog walking. The bellows tongue swang it for me. Sadly, the dog has passed away but at least I have some nice new boots for the winter.

Journeyman
    Great boots I have a dark brown pair must be 10 years old still going strong

Heads up on cheap timberlands, though the colour in the picture ain't right
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B.../?tag=ho01f-21

Blog Entries
    I need some new boots for work and thinking after many years to switch the Jallette for a lace up.

Really fancy some Danner's which can be ordered in from the U.S. of A. but does any folk know if these are supplied in their manner.

http://www.danner.com/product/work/q...-brown-at.html

I do like them and not because Mr Craig has a pair.

Also I have just dipped my toe into Red Wing with these and they are most comfy boots I have ever owned..

Another vote for the Red Wing Moc Toe boots (Model 1907)

New out of the box

With some wear

Timberland 6 inch classics if it's wet or snowy, otherwise R.M. Williams.
    F.T.F.A.

I switched to north face Ballard last year after a suggestion by Verv. Brilliantly warm.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Hi all, new to the forum but been reading for ages. A great thread so a photo of my favourite boot winter or autumn, they fit great and have a good heavy duty rubber sole for the wet. Cheers.image.jpgimage.jpg

Based on some of the above pics I'm not sure I have a pair that qualifies... Mine tend to get covered in mud, sand and who-knows-what else when traipsing over the moors or along the coast, so there's no way anything with a white foamy sole would look good for long, or fabric panels, or even furry bits I suppose.

Having said that as it gets colder I might splash out for some with more of a warm lining.

Question - are the Timberlands actually any good for heavy use or are they now more of a turned-up-jeans, heart-attack-if-they-get-mud-on type boot? If they are more of a style over substance, are there any recommended alternatives that aren't like brogues or moccasin type toes.

The fabric sides are water proof. Managed in three foot of snow in Stockholm for three weeks and New York winter. They also have them in full leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    The fabric sides are water proof. Managed in three foot of snow in Stockholm for three weeks and New York winter. They also have them in full leather.
    Oh absolutely - I've had fabric panel boots in the past and while waterproof, after repeated mud excursions they look pretty rough pretty quickly. Ditto white soles - of course they can be cleaned but after one too many fields they never ever look as bright again.

Snow is a different enemy to Yorkshire coastal moors and dales :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The link below may be of interest to anyone looking for some good value timberland winter footwear:

http://www.timberlandboot2014.com

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

Question - are the Timberlands actually any good for heavy use or are they now more of a turned-up-jeans, heart-attack-if-they-get-mud-on type boot? If they are more of a style over substance, are there any recommended alternatives that aren't like brogues or moccasin type toes.
    Bought a pair yesterday since spend so much time out with my two young lads on their scooters

They are sorted with their "Crocs" winter boots (amazing for kids) but I needed something waterproof

Wore the timberland boots straight from the shop for an hours scooter/walk through park in the rain (a soft evening as we say in Ireland) and feet felt amazing!

Journeyman
    I have had a couple of different style Alberg boots for work and they are excellent. Only thing is the price keeps increasing. They are quality and will last a few years. Due to finances for other stuff, have had to be a bit tight this time. Picked up a pair of Bates ultralite gortex for £50. Comfy and decent for the price.

For casual wear I am on my second pair of Salomon Quests. Only down size is the gortex does not last for ever, but they wear like slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum but been reading for ages. A great thread so a photo of my favourite boot winter or autumn, they fit great and have a good heavy duty rubber sole for the wet. Cheers.image.jpgimage.jpg
    Welcome to TZ! What boots are they?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Welcome to TZ! What boots are they?
    They are Galway Boots made by Edward Green. Expensive but I got them for about a third of the original price as they had been used for a photo shoot. Should last for years with a bit of care.

Journeyman
    Not sure I am quite on the same page as those discussing goretex boots but I need to find a way to afford a pair of edward green galways for this time of year.

Craftsman
    I work construction and wear a pair of redwing iron rangers. Cannot praise these boots highly enough pretty much everyone I work with wears the crappy £50 dewalt boots and they seem to last 6 months if your lucky. 3 years of everyday construction work my red wings have only just started showing signs of wear on the sole......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoki View Post
    Not sure I am quite on the same page as those discussing goretex boots but I need to find a way to afford a pair of edward green galways for this time of year.
    Well spotted. Cheers

Heavy duty?

Winter wellies, army model. Good for all sub-zero operations, including skiing.

More: http://nokianjalkineet.fi/en/boots-o...n/?color=black

I've worn mine on several gigs, including a few rather cold weeks without ever entering a heated house. No problems with feet. All food and water froze solid, though. That's what minus 30 and more does to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

picked these up yesterday,loake burford,I think it'll take some time to break them in

Master
    I wear Alden Indy boots with commando sole. They work well with jeans and are super comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I wear Alden Indy boots with commando sole. They work well with jeans and are super comfortable.
    Don't know if you can get them in the UK anymore

The website branch309.co.uk has 30% off this weekend if anyone fancies very cheap CAT boots as 'winter beaters'

Hoggs of Fife

Thinking of getting some Stirling Brogues for 112.00.

Any one had or seen these before?

Hopefully they are wide fitting.

I was going to go for the commando sole.

Regards to all

Ben