closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

I have been very impressed with my Lowa mountain boots. Not quite as high in the leg as their Combat boots but otherwise the same. They are nice quality and very comfortable.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    These are from my police days. So good in fact, they go on and on all year! Alt-Berg Warrior Microlite.

Another vote for Altbergs - I've paid out for them with my own money but luckily get them supplied for free now. Sneaker Aqua and Field & Fell are excellent, although tall. The P1 is a nice general boot. If weigh is an issue, go for the Sneakers.

Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

I just bagged a pair of brand new Red Wings for $50 ! (About £33).
    Bargain.

z

Red wings are excellent kit, though I prefer the Lowa kit as used by our boys in the forces.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I just bagged a pair of brand new Red Wings for $50 ! (About £33).
    Bargain.

z
    How?!

Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

Mall of America.
    Nordstrom Rack.
    Clearance section - last pair.
    Down from $250.
    Lucky they were my size !
    z

I'm hoping we can say goodbye to winter boots for a bit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I'm hoping we can say goodbye to winter boots for a bit!!!
    After a could of weekend of Clarks Wallabees I was back in my Redwings yesterday. Bloody freezing on the Yorkshire Moors.

Master
    Crockett and Jones: resoling. Recently had my C&J Wicklow boots returned after leaving them in to the Knightsbridge branch for a resole. Having had less than satisfactory work from one or two independent shoe repairers in the area I thought I’d give the back-to-the-factory option a go for my C&Js. I wasn’t disappointed. For not much more than some of the independents charge for a full resole, the boots came back with everything replaced except the upper - i.e. properly re-lasted, all layers of the sole and insole entirely replaced with no sign at all that work has been done. An excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I think that every bloke should have a pair classic Timberlands in their collection.

Not the very light wheat coloured boot which I think are a bit chavvy, but the darker nubuck rust coloured ones or chocolate brown leather.

I've had a pair on the go for 20 years now. In that time I'm currently on my second pair, and these are seven years old and just broken in. I've got the darker nubuck boots, and although I've got plenty of other boots, these are the first I go to when the weather is particularly crappy.

Significantly cheaper than redwings too. As a previous owner if redwing boots, I don't get them at the price point they are now asking.
    Bumping this, as autumn has (well and truly) arrived. I'd mentioned my great experience with classic Timberlands last year, and I was in John Lewis today when I noticed a burnished brown pair on the sale rack. It said they were £85 and down from £110. Well, someone got it wrong because they are £160 all day long.

But seeing there wasn't much of a discount from the incorrect start price, I cheekily asked for an extra discount given a couple of light scratches, and was promptly offered the boots for £70. I naturally snapped their hand off. So a nice pair of burnised brown heritage classic Timberlands for the winter - that's me done.

And next to my (now) 8 year old burnt orange pair.

I bought a pair of sheepskin lined think! boots earlier this year. Think! have supplanted ecco as my eurobrand de choix when it comes to mass produced footwear because they are just as comfy (if not more ) , not that much more expensive and are a massive step up in quality
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I bought some Loake Mulligan (think Bedale with hooks and a commando sole) in the summer sales for dog walking. The bellows tongue swang it for me. Sadly, the dog has passed away but at least I have some nice new boots for the winter.

Journeyman
    Great boots I have a dark brown pair must be 10 years old still going strong

Heads up on cheap timberlands, though the colour in the picture ain't right
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B.../?tag=ho01f-21

Blog Entries
    I need some new boots for work and thinking after many years to switch the Jallette for a lace up.

Really fancy some Danner's which can be ordered in from the U.S. of A. but does any folk know if these are supplied in their manner.

http://www.danner.com/product/work/q...-brown-at.html

I do like them and not because Mr Craig has a pair.

Also I have just dipped my toe into Red Wing with these and they are most comfy boots I have ever owned..

i have a pr of timbeland heritage very good ,i usually go for good english , croket and jones ect but these have proved very good!!

I found a pair of unworn Rogue RB5 in a charity shop for £15. Bargain. Never met the make before but seriously impressed and well worth a look.

I always turn to my trusty old DM boots for my ski holidays, just make sure you coat them well with beeswax; especially around the stitching.

Craftsman
    Just had these in from the states,

Got to say I'm impressed, fully shearling lined and snow sealed, bit of rough stitching around the toe box but I suppose that's me being picky.

Craftsman
    Loving my Red Wing 875 that I bought at new year (most likely because of this exact same thread), but not truly a winter boot, whilst I have not slipped yet i have well and truly polished the sole smooth through the summer months... good excuse to buy new boots :)

My trusty Buffalo Creeks - purchased in 1989.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have just mink oiled my redwings ready for winter.
    Theyre the same age as I am and still on their original cork sole :D

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I have just mink oiled my redwings ready for winter.
    Theyre the same age as I am and still on their original cork sole :D
    Wow that's good to know, never thought the cork sole would be particularly hard wearing. Do you have a photo of them? Mine still look like new after a couple of years when I clean and oil them.

Master

Brasher

I've had some hill asters for three years and they haven't missed a beat

Craftsman
    Just ordered these see how they go

Most of my boots are Loake brogues so wanted a change?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Wow that's good to know, never thought the cork sole would be particularly hard wearing. Do you have a photo of them? Mine still look like new after a couple of years when I clean and oil them.

70s gentleman travellers. I think the nearest equivalent is the iron ranger.

Very nice. Good to know they weather well with age.

Let's be clear - it is not 'winter boot' time yet.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It bloody is if you're a southerner living in Scotland

Winter boots don't go with shorts and t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

I fancy a pair of these. The best price I can find is £149 - can they be found cheaper anywhere?
    Also, how do they size? I find American shoe sizes are generally half size larger than UK, so a UK 10 would be a US 10.5, but my previous pair of Red Wings listed as a UK 10 were actually a US 11.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 12th October 2015 at 10:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I fancy a pair of these. The best price I can find is £149 - can they be found cheaper anywhere?
    Also, how do they size? I find American shoe sizes are generally half size larger than UK, so a UK 10 would be a US 10.5, but my previous pair of Red Wings listed as a UK 10 were actually a US 11.

I doubt you'll find a pair cheaper, the RRP is around £240. As for size, for me Redwings do size large. There'es alot of room in the Moc toes, so you're looking at coming down 1/2 to one full size.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've found that the white sole variants are quite wide but the likes of iron ranger and beckman are narrow so sometimes better to go a half size up with them so for me as an 8 I'm moc toe 8, ranger 8.5.

Craftsman

They look great and fit you now like a glove. Odd, people pay money for worn boots. Live them and love them. Well that's what I think. Cheers

Master
    I think it's time for me to dig out the boots as well. These are my Red Wings, picture is from April when I oiled them for storing. I've used the for two winters as my regular to-go boots and they look great, I think.

It bloody is if you're a southerner living in Scotland

You big girl's blouse , it's Edinburgh you live in not the Cairngorms.

Not true depths of winter boots, but cold enough to bring out the Viberg Scouts...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I found the RW Chukkas true to size.

Bump anyone seen any sale offers on a mid priced range pair of boots but down to around £150

Having just read this from beginning to end,
    I now need a pair of vibergs, those fancy Swedish boots, C&J boots and red wings.

Lord have mercy

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster77 View Post
    Bump anyone seen any sale offers on a mid priced range pair of boots but down to around £150
    have a look at think!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster77 View Post
    Some good prices on red wings at the moment 25% off pushing must down below £180....

Wife and I went Chelsea boot shopping yesterday for her. She tried the C&J Jodhpur boots but could barely get her foot in them. Settled in the end for a pair of Chesnut Gresham Chelsea Boots which I think will be good for years and years. She's binning her fugly Uggs, thank God!

Very good service at C&J Knightsbridge

Craftsman
    Ecco whistler boots are nice .I used to like timberland but quality seems to have gone down recently.I had a pair of redwing boots but never got comfortable in them and sole wore down very fast.I also have a pair of rockport narly trails that are waterproof and very comfortable and fit true to size

Master
    I've been eyeing up some Loake Bedale boots. They come in a G fitting, which can be a pain to find. Only problem is they are over £200, so I might have to see what the bonus is this year (and at is rate my bonus will be "you've still got a job!)

It's winter boot time

Surprise surprise, it generally is at this time of year.

Apprentice

My dad always wore Redwing work boots and those look just like the last pair I remember him owning. He's been gone 10 years, but thinking about his boots, put a smile on my face.

Apprentice
    I'm quite fond of Russell Moccasins.

Last edited by Kelly; 14th January 2016 at 15:45.

Blog Entries
    With the weather out there tonight the Diemme Roccia Vets will be out tomorrow. Get a pair on your feet and you will not look back.

Master
    FYI - If you are in Hong Kong at present the shop CPU among others are on sale, they stock Red Wing boot/shoes currently 20% off.
    The prices shown is the MSRP in HK$.
    http://www.redwingshoes.hk/site/prod...ucts.index.php