closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Master
    Blog Entries

It's winter boot time

So was going to get some grenson Fred's, however I am not feeling the brogue this season. Has anyone tried red wing blacksmiths?
    Last edited by Middo; 23rd November 2014 at 02:01.

Blog Entries
    Chucking it down in Norwich today and my Grenson commando soled Fred's were just the job.

This will be the second winter and still feeling the love.

I did try some Barker Harrison's a few weeks ago and they looked and felt fantastic.

Paul

Grand Master
    Typically its The Cheaney Tweed C or Red Wig Moc Toe, but the timberlands occasionally get a look in

RIAC

Craftsman
    I really like the look of the RedWings and I am very tempted apart from the price, not a lot else to choose from in the moc-toe boot in the UK though.

How do you find the RedWings hold up? I fear that the soles may be a soft compound with a shallow tread, which means I would kill them in under 6 months. Any experience of having them resoled?

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Typically its The Cheaney Tweed C or Red Wig Moc Toe, but the timberlands occasionally get a look in

You can't go wrong with Red Wing. Got my first pair about 10 years ago with the knowledge that they can be re soled, thing is never had the need to re sole any any they have been worn loads, just end up buying more.

Check out this - http://americandigest.org/mt-archive...better_tha.php

Grand Master
    Red Wings are the nuts, Son Of A Stag is where I buy most all my stuff from for casual wear

This video is a nice insight

RIAC

Yuketen Maine Guide are great too

A selection of tan casual boots, but what have they got to do with winter?
    Gray

Grand Master
    Thats right just casual boots, no good at living through a urban winter and looking good at the same time !!!!!!

Try owning them for a few working winters and then let me know how you feel
    RIAC

Master
    I wanted something with a Commando sole for the winter (walking to the pub a couple of miles away, etc.) whilst still looking nice.

I know Oliver Sweeney get some bad press but I've gone with these which are a little more elegant than some of the chunkier G fitting boots I was looking at (e.g. loake bedale)...

The Redwings don't do it for me unfortunately.

Perfect for the stroll from car to coffee shop in inclement weather - I get it now.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I really like the look of the RedWings and I am very tempted apart from the price
    Woah - prices have moved on for these boots.

I had a pair in the early-mid 90s which full price I remember cost me £85 from a shop in Richmond. Same boots are now knockin' on £250.

Now, I know about inflation, but these boots must be trackin' house prices.

I always mention Thorogood when this comes up. Genuine US made work/winterboots, as good as Redwing and around 50% of the UK price. For real bad weather a pair of Sorel are good value too.

I think that every bloke should have a pair classic Timberlands in their collection.

Not the very light wheat coloured boot which I think are a bit chavvy, but the darker nubuck rust coloured ones or chocolate brown leather.

I've had a pair on the go for 20 years now. In that time I'm currently on my second pair, and these are seven years old and just broken in. I've got the darker nubuck boots, and although I've got plenty of other boots, these are the first I go to when the weather is particularly crappy.

Significantly cheaper than redwings too. As a previous owner if redwing boots, I don't get them at the price point they are now asking.

I picked up a pair of Red Wing Logger boots with a proper vibram commando sole which was excellent in the snow and ice last year. Maybe not to everyones taste but I have been looking at getting a pair of Red Wing ice cutter this year to compliment the Logger's, again with the vibram sole but with a wool lined interior.

As for holding up, my Logger's hardly show any wear on the vibram sole and with a bit of regular cleaning still look as new and that was with being used regularly. I also find them to be extremely comfortable after being broken in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Significantly cheaper than redwings too. As a previous owner if redwing boots, I don't get them at the price point they are now asking.
    I agree. I still have a serviceable pair of Chelsea Ranchers which are probably 10 years old, but wouldn't buy any more Red Wings as they seem to me to be fashion boots at Northampton prices these days. And I believe the quality has dropped away too - I bought a pair of their Beckmans a while ago and sold them on as the leather wasn't up to much.

N
    Last edited by Neil.Ldn; 23rd November 2014 at 14:28.

Another vote for the Red Wing Moc Toe boots (Model 1907)

New out of the box

With some wear

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I picked up a pair of Red Wing Logger boots with a proper vibram commando sole which was excellent in the snow and ice last year. Maybe not to everyones taste but I have been looking at getting a pair of Red Wing ice cutter this year to compliment the Logger's, again with the vibram sole but with a wool lined interior.

As for holding up, my Logger's hardly show any wear on the vibram sole and with a bit of regular cleaning still look as new and that was with being used regularly. I also find them to be extremely comfortable after being broken in.
    Only problem with most Vibram soles is poor grip when it's wet, although they don't wear much. I prefer a softer sole which gives me an excuse to buy a new pair when they wear out!

Timberland 6 inch classics if it's wet or snowy, otherwise R.M. Williams.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Just checking these out, what it the fit like? True to size?

Hard buying footwear remotely as everything seems to be sized different these days!

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I always mention Thorogood when this comes up. Genuine US made work/winterboots, as good as Redwing and around 50% of the UK price. For real bad weather a pair of Sorel are good value too.

Just checking these out, what it the fit like? True to size?

Hard buying footwear remotely as everything seems to be sized different these days!
    I'm a UK 10 and have 6" Moc is a US 11. I only wear them in bad weather so went up a half size to allow for thicker socks.

I got some great Ex Military English Army boots, fantastic grip even on ice, waterproof as the tongue is full length and stitched all the way up
    They are leather outer and leather lined £29:99 from Becketts in Norwich, I liked my first pair so much I bought another pair. They are great.
    http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/cat...oducts_id/7137
    They have gone up a little but still great kit. They also do brand new unissued kit

Journeyman
    Got the RW Moc Toe too, good boots.

Blog Entries
    My Timberland bought in Alabama about 14 years ago and still going strong

Timberland all the way.I have been looking at a pair tonight actually. Unfortunately mine didn't last that long. Thats puppy's for you.

I switched to north face Ballard last year after a suggestion by Verv. Brilliantly warm.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Have you had them resoled? (If so how many times)

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    My Timberland bought in Alabama about 14 years ago and still going strong

Blog Entries
    Have you had them resoled? (If so how many times)
    nope they have just gone on and on wax the uppers occasionally but I do move like Cassius Clay so my wear on shoes and boots tends to be light.

Craftsman
    Did Cassius Clay drive every where? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    nope they have just gone on and on wax the uppers occasionally but I do move like Cassius Clay so my wear on shoes and boots tends to be light.

I always have a pair of Timberland originals on the go for dog walking but I do wear down the soles on the heel every 3-4 years. They really are great at keeping you dry though. I recently bought some fancier antique leather ones from SC but the thickness of the elephant's arse leather on the bellows tongue makes them hugely uncomfortable and I've failed dismally in breaking them in.

I've got some Oliver Sweeneys for "car to coffee shop" jaunts and some lovely new Barker Lambourn in cherry grain for work (I don't wear a suit).

I was toying with some Grenson Ryans - anyone got any experience?

These are my autumn-winter daily wearers:

Not expensive but I keep them religiously oiled and saddle soaped and they keep my feet dry over the tops or mooching along the beach. Comfy as old slippers too. The brown deposits on the front are mud, in case you wondered ;)

Master
    I have a pair of these:

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/wicklow-teak

When I bought them, I was a bit uncertain about the longevity of the soles as they looked relatively thin in the areas that are not “cleated” or whatever the term is, but they have lasted surprisingly well, even at the tips of the toes where I tend to wear boots quite hard.

Obviously they are not Arctic material but they do seem to have an insulating layer and are well up to UK winters unless you are heading for the hills. Very comfortable and well put together.

Master
    I have worn a pair of Musto Arncliffe boots for the past 7 yrs. I have found them to be hard wearing, good grip from the vibram sole, dry as a bone, and uber comfy. They are not as fashionable as some of the above, but I don't bother about getting them mucky.

Bought these last year to replace a pair of 6 inch non lined.

Don't find em chavvy at all. lol

Also debating being brave and getting some Uggs. Not the woman types that NO man should wear but some great ones I saw on holiday with full lining. Ugg Hannen

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I got some great Ex Military English Army boots, fantastic grip even on ice, waterproof as the tongue is full length and stitched all the way up
    They are leather outer and leather lined £29:99 from Becketts in Norwich, I liked my first pair so much I bought another pair. They are great.
    http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/cat...oducts_id/7137
    They have gone up a little but still great kit. They also do brand new unissued kit
    Now you're talking

Master
    I find Redwings a bit too "Village People" for me. I have a pair of old Timberland mid-brown safety boots for the garden and for the coffee-shop stroll I can recommend the Dubarry Goretex Chelsea boot.

I find Red Wings a bit much for me. Yuketen are top. My most successful boot purchase wasn't that dear though. Clarks did a humourously named MANLY range (Row, Path....) for the trendy Japanese market. Mine have survived winters in Stockholm, New York and skiing. Amazing quality and brilliant polyvelt sole.
    You can find them on eBay and some foreign sites.

Craftsman
    Hi all, new to the forum but been reading for ages. A great thread so a photo of my favourite boot winter or autumn, they fit great and have a good heavy duty rubber sole for the wet. Cheers.image.jpgimage.jpg

Based on some of the above pics I'm not sure I have a pair that qualifies... Mine tend to get covered in mud, sand and who-knows-what else when traipsing over the moors or along the coast, so there's no way anything with a white foamy sole would look good for long, or fabric panels, or even furry bits I suppose.

Having said that as it gets colder I might splash out for some with more of a warm lining.

Question - are the Timberlands actually any good for heavy use or are they now more of a turned-up-jeans, heart-attack-if-they-get-mud-on type boot? If they are more of a style over substance, are there any recommended alternatives that aren't like brogues or moccasin type toes.

The fabric sides are water proof. Managed in three foot of snow in Stockholm for three weeks and New York winter. They also have them in full leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    The fabric sides are water proof. Managed in three foot of snow in Stockholm for three weeks and New York winter. They also have them in full leather.
    Oh absolutely - I've had fabric panel boots in the past and while waterproof, after repeated mud excursions they look pretty rough pretty quickly. Ditto white soles - of course they can be cleaned but after one too many fields they never ever look as bright again.

Snow is a different enemy to Yorkshire coastal moors and dales :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The link below may be of interest to anyone looking for some good value timberland winter footwear:

http://www.timberlandboot2014.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    The link below may be of interest to anyone looking for some good value timberland winter footwear:

http://www.timberlandboot2014.com
    Pretty confident in saying that not legit

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    I'm sure you're right :)

The 'chinglish' translations and the references to a completely different site in the 'about us' were the first two things I noticed, but I'm sure there are more :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    A selection of tan casual boots, but what have they got to do with winter?

Indeed, when buying boots for the winter, Gore-tex is a must, without it you simply have a pair of boots.

If I didn't already have a nubuck pair, these would be my choice. Full RRP is £160 which is not bad IMO.

[IMG]http://www.cloggs.co.uk/content/ebiz/cloggs/invt/5450/5450_rmedium.jpg[IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum but been reading for ages. A great thread so a photo of my favourite boot winter or autumn, they fit great and have a good heavy duty rubber sole for the wet. Cheers.image.jpgimage.jpg
    Welcome to TZ! What boots are they?

Journeyman
    Not sure I am quite on the same page as those discussing goretex boots but I need to find a way to afford a pair of edward green galways for this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Indeed, when buying boots for the winter, Gore-tex is a must, without it you simply have a pair of boots.
    I have a pair of these but with a side zip and it has to be said they are great all rounders. They combine Goretex, thinsulate and vibram in one package. https://www.batesfootwear.com/UK/en-...t?dimensions=0
    Last edited by gray; 24th November 2014 at 19:44.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    Aye, whenever I click the contact us on sites like this and cant see a phone number or address I'm very suspicious