closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: It's winter boot time

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I googled them as I hadn't heard of the make - how much?!? Wow, at that price I wouldn't take them out of the safe! Nice looking boots though...
    Short story: Tony Gazinao was the bespoke guy over at Edward Green. He left and paired with Dean Girling (great bottom maker) and formed G&G. Like them alot but I wear Edward Green too.

Best,
    Gustav

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    When itīs really shitty outside here in Stockholm I wear my Gaziano & Girling Thorpe. On the MH71-last. Double Dainite and storm welt. Very comfty.
    Big fan of Edward Green but when I saw those boots thought yep. I went onto the Skoaktiebolaget site just after they were released but unfortunately sold out in my size. Fantastic boot and will last for years. Expensive but high quality, style and longevity.

Must dig out some photos of winter boots. Good thread. Cheers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Big fan of Edward Green but when I saw those boots thought yep. I went onto the Skoaktiebolaget site just after they were released but unfortunately sold out in my size. Fantastic boot and will last for years. Expensive but high quality, style and longevity.

Must dig out some photos of winter boots. Good thread. Cheers
    Yeah, they went quite fast! Tony was there the weekend after for bespoke and mto. A really nice guy to speak to.
    The guys at SkoAB (Gabriel, Alex, Patrik) are top notch to deal with.

Best regards,
    Gustav

Master
    Pair of Trickers for me. Would've preferred the full commando sole for winter use, but much prefer the look of leather/dainite on brogues, and I got a great price on these so hey ho.

Master
    Photos of footwear day for me apparently?

My Japanese market (I almost said JDM but that's only if they're a Japanese brand, right?) Danners

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Neil.Ldn;3345537]Pair of Trickers for me. Would've preferred the full commando sole for winter use, but much prefer the look of leather/dainite on brogues, and I got a great price on these so hey ho

I like dainite soles and think they look smart. With leather soles I always have to get a rubber sole stuck on as I wear down the front of the sole very quickly. It also happens with the dainite sole but (if this makes sense) they seem to harden after a month or two so not a big deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    I like dainite soles and think they look smart. With leather soles I always have to get a rubber sole stuck on as I wear down the front of the sole very quickly. It also happens with the dainite sole but (if this makes sense) they seem to harden after a month or two so not a big deal.
    I agree - I think leather *looks* the best, but is really slippery in the wet, and they get ruined easily and don't last very long. Dainite is (marginally) less slippy, lasts a lot longer and looks nearly as good as leather. Commando's are the business for outdoors and would be the default winter choice IMO, but they just look wrong on brogues or any kind of smartish boot/shoe. That's my experience anyway!

Craftsman
    Short story: Tony Gazinao was the bespoke guy over at Edward Green. He left and paired with Dean Girling (great bottom maker) and formed G&G. Like them alot but I wear Edward Green too.

Best,
    Gustav
    You need these for winter.
    image.jpg

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    The link below may be of interest to anyone looking for some good value timberland winter footwear:

http://www.timberlandboot2014.com
    Has anyone used this site? I have picked two pairs but can't purchase or contact them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontblowsmoke View Post
    Has anyone used this site? I have picked two pairs but can't purchase or contact them?
    Did you read the comments below that one in this thread?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Did you read the comments below that one in this thread?
    Have now !! Thanks for the reply

Craftsman
    Grenson Fred for me - fantastic boots. I've also got their shoe version - Archie which are about to get sent back to Grenson to be re-soled. This will be the first pair I've done this with so it will be interesting to see how they look when I get them back. Anybody had experience of this?

Here are the trusty Freds;

Just as a heads up, Grenson's Lambs Conduit St. shop is having a little thing tomorrow evening with 10% off. 18:30-20:30 with some posh gin to try as well.

Fish

Journeyman
    Just don't forget boot care. :)

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post

The newer Timberlands are very very comfortable, but unfortunately they don't make them like they used to, the original sole has a very very short life and can be slippy on some wet surfaces. I wore them out in less than six months.
    Last year Timberland did a re-issue of your original Super Boot. Their "Tackhead" range are GYW models that come with proper Vibram soles as opposed to the EK stuff. The thing is, I've never seen those in any brick and mortar stores.

Master
    Just picked up a paid of Grenson Fred's with a commando sole, impressed so far

Cheaney Pennine veldtschoens. They're fantastic.

I must be the only one bucking the trend - I've just bought a pair of desert boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Anhedoniac View Post
    Cheaney Pennine veldtschoens. They're fantastic.

Now you're talking! Fancy these for dog walking but can't part with the cash. There is a Herring branded version that seems to be cheaper and is no doubt made by Cheaney. Hoggs of Fife Rannoch is another veldtschoen made in Northampton but with a zug grain leather.

Journeyman
    +1 for Timberlands

Master
    Here is a photo of my favourites:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Here is a photo of my favourites:

Alden 405?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I agree - I think leather *looks* the best, but is really slippery in the wet, and they get ruined easily and don't last very long. Dainite is (marginally) less slippy, lasts a lot longer and looks nearly as good as leather. Commando's are the business for outdoors and would be the default winter choice IMO, but they just look wrong on brogues or any kind of smartish boot/shoe. That's my experience anyway!
    Agreed, this is always the dilemma unfortunately. Having your cake and eating it is tough when it comes to shoes & boots!

Craftsman

Cool

Just picked up these Allen Edmonds

Well my German short haired pointer ate the last pair I owned but I am taking the plunge again.And keeping them in safe storage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Well my German short haired pointer ate the last pair I owned but I am taking the plunge again.And keeping them in safe storage.

I like those - who makes them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    Just picked up these Allen Edmonds

Nice, not sure they'd be much use across a muddy field.

Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    I like those - who makes them?

They are Timberland earth keepers.The wrong side of a Ģ100 but very very comfortable.

Thanks, just ordered a pair from Amazon to arrive tomorrow with Prime for Ģ96

Master
    Alden 405?
    Yes, with commando sole and full welt. Very comfortable shoes, warm enough in winter and good grip.

I've just been through the boot-buying process, as it happens. For me it came down to the Red Wing Beckmans and the Wolverine Thousand Mile boots. I knew Red Wings had a great reputation for quality and durability - provided you can make it through the arduous breaking-in process. The Wolverines I didn't know much about when I started looking.

Whilst trying on the Wolverines I found them to be great-looking and also comfortable, although I didn't care for the smooth leather sole that I knew would slip on snow and ice (which we get a lot of here). I liked the commando sole on the Red Wings, but during the trying-on phase I couldn't find a size that was even close to comfortable. The nice lady at the shop said "oh yes, you will probably have blisters for the first few weeks", to which I said "balls to that" and bought the Wolverines. Then I had my shoe guy put on a commando lug sole protector, which has upped the grip tremendously. The result looks like this:

After a few days of wearing they're getting broken in nicely and are very comfortable. They're also great-looking, I think. The leather is Horween, which I suppose makes this post somewhat watch-related in a way...

Grand Master
    Yep and so my Trickers will be out again ;-).

Thanks to Vinny I got a proper bargain last year.

Journeyman
    Winter is a relative term where I come from, our average annual temperature is somethning like 16-17 degrees celsius so these will do just fine.

My wish were these one, with fur-like inside or with 3M Thinsulate, but couldn't find the size in the local area :(

And getting one of these would be like winning the lottery :D

Can somebody call security please - some continental chappie seems to have turned up in plimsolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Can somebody call security please - some continental chappie seems to have turned up in plimsolls.

Quote of the week.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    I've just been through the boot-buying process, as it happens. For me it came down to the Red Wing Beckmans and the Wolverine Thousand Mile boots. I knew Red Wings had a great reputation for quality and durability - provided you can make it through the arduous breaking-in process. The Wolverines I didn't know much about when I started looking.

Whilst trying on the Wolverines I found them to be great-looking and also comfortable, although I didn't care for the smooth leather sole that I knew would slip on snow and ice (which we get a lot of here). I liked the commando sole on the Red Wings, but during the trying-on phase I couldn't find a size that was even close to comfortable. The nice lady at the shop said "oh yes, you will probably have blisters for the first few weeks", to which I said "balls to that" and bought the Wolverines. Then I had my shoe guy put on a commando lug sole protector, which has upped the grip tremendously. The result looks like this:

After a few days of wearing they're getting broken in nicely and are very comfortable. They're also great-looking, I think. The leather is Horween, which I suppose makes this post somewhat watch-related in a way...
    Really like those 1000 mile boots been thinking about getting the cordovan number 8 ones for a while but not seen them in the flesh yet and everyone I talk too says the build quality is shocking?

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    Really like those 1000 mile boots been thinking about getting the cordovan number 8 ones for a while but not seen them in the flesh yet and everyone I talk too says the build quality is shocking?
    Shockingly good I hope! I've not had them long enough to test durability over the long haul, but the out of the box experience has been super. Mine are the basic brown colour, by the way. In person they have a bit of a reddish tint, not totally unlike Horween #2.

Regarding fit, I'm typically a US size 10.5, but I found I needed to go a full size down to a 9.5 for a good fit. However the flat bottom didn't feel as if it was giving me enough arch support, so I went up to a 10 and put in a pair of my favourite Aetrex L400 insoles. Result: perfect fit and very comfy.

Master
    Quick boot related question - how do you guys decide on size.

I'm torn on slightly bigger to accomodate thick socks, or an initial snug fitting and hope they stretch somewhat?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    Quick boot related question - how do you guys decide on size.

I'm torn on slightly bigger to accomodate thick socks, or an initial snug fitting and hope they stretch somewhat?
    Got to try them on I'm afraid. I now have four pairs of Grenson - all the same size but weirdly they are fine with either normal cotton socks or slightly thicker Bridgedale walking socks!

Craftsman
    Brilliant.....

Craftsman
    They are Timberland earth keepers.The wrong side of a Ģ100 but very very comfortable.
    Thanks for the reply - I'll have to have a look for those.

I just bought these - got some ace D Martens which are nice and insulated from the cold ground by the air pockets, but needed some easy on/off fluffy-inside boots for the Hamburg winter:

And the Docs:

18/2 Dr Martens by sarawallen, on Flickr

A very very comfortable boot, but the soles wear out fast and they can be slippery on wet surfaces.

I had mine re-soled with a Vibram sole and two years later still all good and they get worn almost daily and when riding my motorbike. .

The earthkeeper with the Vibram sole.

Grenson Fred for me - fantastic boots. I've also got their shoe version - Archie which are about to get sent back to Grenson to be re-soled. This will be the first pair I've done this with so it will be interesting to see how they look when I get them back. Anybody had experience of this?

Here are the trusty Freds;

I like those...

Master
    Those Dockers are cool

Craftsman
    I like those...
    I can highly recommend them. I have four pairs of Grensons and counting! The Freds are really comfortable and get worn regularly throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    Those Dockers are cool
    Doch, they're actually nice and warm :D

I can highly recommend them. I have four pairs of Grensons and counting! The Freds are really comfortable and get worn regularly throughout the year.
    Picked up a pair of Freds with commando soles a few months ago and I'm very impressed with them. Nice thick leather but didn't take much breaking in. I'm expecting years of wear from them and they will no doubt look better with age when they start to pick up a nice patina.

A very very comfortable boot, but the soles wear out fast and they can be slippery on wet surfaces.

I had mine re-soled with a Vibram sole and two years later still all good and they get worn almost daily and when riding my motorbike. .

The earthkeeper with the Vibram sole.

How much was the resoling out of interest?