closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1514

Thread: It's winter boot time

Just picked up a pair of black Red Wing Moc Toes in the John Lewis sale; £309 down to £155.

A proper bargain as I hardly ever see men’s Moc Toes discounted, never mind half price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How do you clean the white soles of Red Wings?

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    How do you clean the white soles of Red Wings?
    Try a smidge of washing up liquid direct to the side of the sole and clean with a cloth and some warm water.

It's winter boot time

If anyone is feeling the love for brogue boots; half price Grenson Fred’s @ John Lewis.

Rubber soles and sizes available at time of posting in the photo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My boots, and the wife’s, got some wax for Christmas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Try a smidge of washing up liquid direct to the side of the sole and clean with a cloth and some warm water.
    I use those magic eraser/sponges.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Yeah, I’m sure there are loads of tricks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I’ll give those a go… as you can see scrubbing didn’t do that well.

It's winter boot time

My boots, and the wife’s, got some wax for Christmas.

I never had you down for a tabloid reader

Master
    Blog Entries
    I never had you down for a tabloid reader
    Lol. I wondered if anyone would comment on that. I get them off my mum for such chores. Mainly drying out soaking wet cycling shoes. Just had a look they are the local paper.

Lol. I wondered if anyone would comment on that. I get them off my mum for such chores. Mainly drying out soaking wet cycling shoes. Just had a look they are the local paper.
    Still tabloid (it’s a newspaper format), just not a red top.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Anybody spotted any decent sales??
    These are on there last legs (sole wise)
    Had them about 10 years and paid only £70 . Think they were branded Rocha from Dabenhams.
    Can't justify £300 plus on Red wing

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Being the spontaneous chap that i am, went into town with the other half and tried some Docs on in one of the shops. Settled on a style and colourway and ended up with (suprisingly) black.
    Will post some piccies when they arrive.
    They are a bit more pricey than i remember.

Craftsman
    Not only pricey but for that you get a terrible quality product

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Being the spontaneous chap that i am, went into town with the other half and tried some Docs on in one of the shops. Settled on a style and colourway and ended up with (suprisingly) black.
    Will post some piccies when they arrive.
    They are a bit more pricey than i remember.

I have been after a pair of warm, waterproof boots for walking / shooting / standing on the rugby club touch line / general out and about use in wet and muddy conditions. These were on sale at less than £50.

They are Primaloft and fleece lined so nice and warm.
    They look utter shite but they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have been after a pair of warm, waterproof boots for walking / shooting / standing on the rugby club touch line / general out and about use in wet and muddy conditions. These were on sale at less than £50.

They are Primaloft and fleece lined so nice and warm.
    They look utter shite but they will do.
    PSA?

I use a pair of Terrex trainers on the hockey pitch coaching all day on a Sunday in all weathers and they keep my feet dry no problem.

Great range I think

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

After failing to find any in the John Lewis sale (they didn’t seem to have my size in the sale at any point) I bought a pair of Red Wing moc toes in black cherry leather yesterday morning - a kind of oxblood colour which look great. I usually take an 11 in regular shoes but made the mistake of buying RW’s too large before, so after careful trying I bought these in a 10!! Was a bit worried they might be a tad tight but wore them around the house today and they’ve started to shape to my feet and are pretty comfy already. No blisters or nastiness and I found it easy to drive in them too which on day 1 is pretty good in my experience. I did find the 11’s I had before really did give over a few wears, which is a bit counterintuitive as the leather seems so stiff. Hoping I’ve found my dream boots!

Always thought doc's needed breaking in but so far so good. Pretty comfortable after 2 days wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    PSA?
    It was a local sports shop.
    Looking at the adidas website they are doing a deal as well (£55) so presume a new version has been released. Select sizes left though.

Master

William Lennon Boots

These are interesting. I have some boots made by William Lennon for HebCoTro (their Moto boots) and can highly recommend them.

British made and reasonable prices

https://williamlennon.co.uk/shop/107...in-field-boot/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Went for M120 ,normal size with thin insole ,perfect .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Went for M120 ,normal size with thin insole ,perfect .
    Very nice and extremely comfortable. Did you get a tub of leather conditioned and soft cleaning brush included with yours? I was very pleasantly surprised when i opened the box!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Very nice and extremely comfortable. Did you get a tub of leather conditioned and soft cleaning brush included with yours? I was very pleasantly surprised when i opened the box!
    Just the brush,plus spare laces,nice touch tho.

Master
    I have two pairs, town and country. I got a pair of Sanders Holborn chukkas just over a year ago.. They are in tan leather with a "commando" rubber sole. A little wide for me and took an age to break in. But now, with the right socks, they are comfortable and look smart enough for the office. This thread reminded me they needed a polish.

For general muddiness I have a pair of LL Bean duck boots that I bought about 12 years ago. My pair have waxed cottons uppers rather than usual leather. They are still going strong. Maintenance wise I give them the occasional wash I've replaced the laces. They aren't the warmed but they are roomy enough for thick socks. This model I think. https://global.llbean.com/shop/Mens-...-boots&start=1

After wearing Red Wing Iron Rangers for 15 years, I have upgraded to Vibergs for something a bit smarter but sturdier than the shell cordovan Crockett and Jones boots I wear otherwise. Hardly any break-in period compared to the Red Wings which was hell, the pull up leather is much more supple and higher quality. Really impressed with them so far.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Proper boot that, lovely.

Blog Entries
    Paraboot Horween Shell Cordovan, Norwegian/storm welt.

Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    I'm looking at a pair of Oliver Sweeney boots. Couple of questions for those who have tried them. Are they comfortable for walking as opposed to strutting around and I've read about sizing down with these. No special notes on website regarding sizing. I take a 9.5 in DMs, Loakes and Redwing. Thanks in advance for any help.

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    I'm looking at a pair of Oliver Sweeney boots. Couple of questions for those who have tried them. Are they comfortable for walking as opposed to strutting around and I've read about sizing down with these. No special notes on website regarding sizing. I take a 9.5 in DMs, Loakes and Redwing. Thanks in advance for any help.
    I have a couple of pairs of Oliver Sweeney brogues that are busy gathering dust. I think OS used to be all made in Italy, and my oldest pair are made there.

Now they are made in cheaper countries as well, but the quality of my latest pair (Carnforths) is on par with Grenson G2 range. However, this may put you off?

They come up in size similar to Grenson, and a little larger than Loake in my experience.

I always size down.

I think the cheaper range have blue coloured insoles while the superior range have green. Or, that use to be the case.

Master
    I’ve got four pairs of OS all made in Italy. Sizing fir me is my usual size apart from one pair of narrower black wingtip brogues which are a size larger. All are about 10 years old and still going strong.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

They are Very nice.
    Paraboot seem to do some good looking footwear.

Made in India and Portugal these days I think in the main and not what they were. That said they are now at a relatively lower price point than they used to be.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

It's winter boot time

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I’ve got four pairs of OS all made in Italy. Sizing fir me is my usual size apart from one pair of narrower black wingtip brogues which are a size larger. All are about 10 years old and still going strong.
    Ten years ago all OS boots and shoes were made in Italy. Now, some are made in Italy and most are made in India.

The website states the country of manufacture for each shoe/boot.

I picked up the Carnforths (made in India) for £99 in the Covid fire sale a couple of years back. Good quality tan leather, leather lined, Goodyear welt and leather sole.

Now I see they are £179 in the winter sale. My Carnforths are the same quality as my pair of Grenson G2 Stanley brogues IMO, so still very good quality.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 8th January 2024 at 22:49.

Blog Entries
    Try Paraboot or Heschung, unbelievable quality, lasting for decades.
    And the Paraboot rubber sole is something else.

A cold walk into town today to post a parcel off caused me to don my Cheaney Jarrow boots. They took a couple of years to mould to my feet but now they are super comfortable, warm, supportive and look good. I prefer Cherry Blossom polish, made in England, of course, both the polish and the boots. Quality always lasts ( ) Sam Vines will attest to that theory.

Master
    They look amazing, but 2 years to get comfortable, wow! After almost 3 years WFH I got a blister from my RM Williams just before Christmas as they weren’t slippers!

Lovely.

I've had a pair of Michaels for years but they never get worn. It's one of those shoes that never seems to match well with anything.

Master
    I would have laughed had you told me 10 yrs ago that I'd be googling c£500 boot manufacturers and reviews on their products but here we are. I probably should stick with CnJ to avoid the whole sizing issue (i.e. Grenson!) but it's good to browse...

Try Paraboot or Heschung, unbelievable quality, lasting for decades.
    And the Paraboot rubber sole is something else.
    I must have 10 pairs of good quality shoes and boots that will last another decade but never get worn as I got bored of them and the fashion.

Everyone lives the theory that some boots will last decades, but most get bored well before 5 years and move on to something new.

Master
    I must have 10 pairs of good quality shoes and boots that will last another decade but never get worn as I got bored of them and the fashion.

Everyone lives the theory that some boots will last decades, but most get bored well before 5 years and move on to something new.
    good point, they may well come back into fashion in the future but you need to hang onto them!

I really don't... brief, mild winters means winter boot time's only at most a couple of months and even then it's very day by day. Not seeking to compare relative seasons, just my perspective.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    These are interesting. I have some boots made by William Lennon for HebCoTro (their Moto boots) and can highly recommend them.

British made and reasonable prices

https://williamlennon.co.uk/shop/107...in-field-boot/

Really like the look of those but they are made to order, what if they don’t fit?
    Reasonably priced though, unlike the £400+ pairs of slippers made by other manufacturers. Would like to see Rose Anvil cut them up.

Blog Entries

Nope, not me, I'm not a fashion addict, my oldest pair of R.M. Williams is 32 years old and are still in service.
    Haven't bought boots for the last five years now and probably won't for the rest of my life because all the pairs I own outlast me. And, because I have a fear for cheap shoes I always have two unworn new pairs in stock in case I would end up poor. Sily, I know, but no new boots for me anymore, I'm done.

Master

Well, I don't think that classic English country boots were that much more in fashion 5 years ago as they are now. They are classic boots, niche products that some people like, not really fashion.

I have boots from 10 years back that I still wear and just like.

That’s why I wear crocs

Craftsman

I too have ten pairs of quality boots. Trickers and one pair of aldens. Had most of them in excess of 10 years and still wear and love them as much as I always have. I stopped following fashion many many years ago and focused more on timeless style. I Always get compliments on my style and my boots.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    I too have ten pairs of quality boots. Trickers and one pair of aldens. Had most of them in excess of 10 years and still wear and love them as much as I always have. I stopped following fashion many many years ago and focused more on timeless style. I Always get compliments on my style and my boots.
    Exactly this, timeless clothes, shoes or boots are never in fashion and therefore never out of it either. I’ve got 15+yr old shoes which still look in better shape than most fashion shoes I see about.

Why nobody else seems to invest time putting a lovely bull shine on the toe and the heel seems a shame, really elevates a shoe, less so a winter boot given the practicality.

Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    I think I have probably overdosed on brogues.

Blog Entries
    Only 15 years old, still youngsters ;)

Only 15 years old, still youngsters ;)

Did your mum turn your jeans up?