closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alloy wheel corrosion

Master

Alloy wheel corrosion

All four diamond cut alloy wheels on my volvo are showing corrosion under the clear coat none have been kerbed should this be covered under the manufacturer warranty as I don’t think this should be happening on a 2.5 year old car

Master
    More ways to damage clearcoat then kerbing,including bad QA at manufacture. Can you prove no stone chips or harsh chemicals?
    manufacturers know the outcome.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    More ways to damage clearcoat then kerbing,including bad QA at manufacture. Can you prove no stone chips or harsh chemicals?
    manufacturers know the outcome.
    It’s obvious there aren’t stone chips as the corrosion is coming through in lots of places with no sign of damage I have just used turtle wax car wash on it though I can’t prove it

Some of these diamond cut wheels are bloody terrible for lifting under the lacquer, I've had a few sets swapped over within warranty over the years…i would think it should be but as someone said as long as theres no obvious damage.

Master
    It’s definitely a design/manufacturing issue and does my head in how many manufacturers fit diamond cut these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    It’s definitely a design/manufacturing issue and does my head in how many manufacturers fit diamond cut these days.
    Indeed, they are the worst finish and doesn’t matter the cost of the car either. I actively avoid them whenever I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It’s a coat of clear lacquer. Over aluminium alloy. Go figure.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Go into the dealer - say you are not satisfied and see what they say - if you bought the car from new with them.

I did this with my lexus and after a few huffs and puffs and me throwing my dummy out, they succumbed and replaced them for a "nominal" contribution - which I then refused and the dealer paid that bit.

Tip - don't throw a strop too early wait for concessions first.

B

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had the same issue with a golf at about 18 months old, was coming from the centre cap where the lacquer was thin.

They sorted under warranty with no effort from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Go into the dealer - say you are not satisfied and see what they say - if you bought the car from new with them.

I did this with my lexus and after a few huffs and puffs and me throwing my dummy out, they succumbed and replaced them for a "nominal" contribution - which I then refused and the dealer paid that bit.

Tip - don't throw a strop too early wait for concessions first.

B
    I had five Lexus's the lacquer failed on all of them, they just changed the wheels every time, the sales manager just said, Lexus can't do wheels, apparently Lexus had a company refurbing them

Master
    I worked in/ran the parts dept of a local dealer, replacement wheels on ‘diamond cut’ alloys was a weekly thing, poor lacquer application seemed to be the biggest cause, lacquer was only applied across the face of the wheels meaning corrosion started at the edge of the spoke or centre cap area where lacquer met the powder coated area, very rarely did we not get warranty approval, only those obviously kerbed or chipped were knocked back, in some cases we set up the warranty claim without owners request as the techs might see problems starting before owners who didn’t wash the car themselves wouldn’t notice.
    Refurbed wheels were often better as they were done by smaller companies rather than factories making 10s of thousands with little thought to quality or weather in selling markets.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I worked in/ran the parts dept of a local dealer, replacement wheels on ‘diamond cut’ alloys was a weekly thing, poor lacquer application seemed to be the biggest cause, lacquer was only applied across the face of the wheels meaning corrosion started at the edge of the spoke or centre cap area where lacquer met the powder coated area, very rarely did we not get warranty approval, only those obviously kerbed or chipped were knocked back, in some cases we set up the warranty claim without owners request as the techs might see problems starting before owners who didn’t wash the car themselves wouldn’t notice.
    Refurbed wheels were often better as they were done by smaller companies rather than factories making 10s of thousands with little thought to quality or weather in selling markets.
    It’s started on the spoke edges on mine on all four wheels 3 months ago there wasn’t sign of it funny as the silver painted alloys on my mrs 17 plate fiesta are spotless

Master
    Same happened to me on a Mercedes. Got them sorted under warranty even though the car was used when I bought it.

Diamond cuts look great in the showroom, but are virtually impossible to maintain perfectly on a daily driver on UK roads, unless they have been painted/laquered to a very high standard at the factory.

After struggling - and failing - with our last but one car, I vowed never to have another car with such wheels. Once moisture has got underneath the laquer there is nothing you can do other than have them refinished at some point.

Master
    Went into the dealers today and they took photos of all 4 wheels and said the white marks under the lacquer shouldn’t be happening but they would have to send the photos to their bodyshop which is 10 miles away to asses them, i said I shouldn’t have to pay anything as there is no damage on them and it’s obviously a manufacturing fault so I will see how it goes