closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeans Thread

Grand Master
    Just about to start the process again with some ONI Secret Denims, great Slubbiness to them almost like Tweed

RIAC

Grand Master
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Got my first one when I was 14, never looked back :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

jeans are a very personal thing, what fits one may not fit another.. have tried a fair few and have a few in my wardrobe, Tellason Gustave, Unbranded UB101's, but my favourite's are Leftfield Chelsea's which i find are a decent rise and a comfortable tapered fit

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    jeans are a very personal thing, what fits one may not fit another.. have tried a fair few and have a few in my wardrobe, Tellason Gustave, Unbranded UB101's, but my favourite's are Leftfield Chelsea's which i find are a decent rise and a comfortable tapered fit
    Spot on, no point making a suggestion I tried on around 20 different pairs yesterday and only 2-3 were suitable to start the process, I like to have a little overlap but I intend wearing the ONI all day everyday for the next year
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    ....I intend wearing the ONI all day everyday for the next year
    Really?!

Grand Master
    Yeah think so. Did around 6-7 months straight in some lighter weight tellasons
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just about to start the process again with some ONI Secret Denims, great Slubbiness to them almost like Tweed

Are they 20 oz?

Spot on, no point making a suggestion I tried on around 20 different pairs yesterday and only 2-3 were suitable to start the process, I like to have a little overlap but I intend wearing the ONI all day everyday for the next year

Where did you go? Son Of Stag?

Buying online is a nightmare, even with all the measurements it's still a lottery...

I find this can / may help or atleast it allows you to compare measurements..

http://scout.rawrdenim.com/denim?utf...enim_weight=32

Would love to try some Ironheart's as there relatively local to me and do have a stockist in Winchester, but the price...

It surprises me nobody has mentioned True Religion jeans.. They're brilliant quality and come in lots of different styles/fits etc.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthisspace View Post
    It surprises me nobody has mentioned True Religion jeans.. They're brilliant quality and come in lots of different styles/fits etc.
    Agreed

Grand Master
    Where did you go? Son Of Stag?

Yeah Rudy who runs it is a mate. You can try on two pair the same size and they are different! Hand made does have a few quirks! I know the Japanese like their whiskey which might explain it
    RIAC

Craftsman
    What is the leg measurement on these? They look like 36 inch similar to IronHeart?

I am a little confused by the "one size fits all" ultra long legs, especially considering Japan is the source of many of the jeans, with a slightly more petite population.

I get cuffing and think they look cool, but not 4 inch ones to my eye (a double fold forces bunching which does not look good either)... I know they will hem but whats the point and also a lottery if there is some stretch of shrink.

Excuse my inexperience, i am only on my second pair and the first that I have cuffed... can someone enlighten me?

Master
    Wrangler 'Texas' for me. When they need washing. it is into the washing machine for a colour wash.

Lee 101z

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    What is the leg measurement on these? They look like 36 inch similar to IronHeart?

I am a little confused by the "one size fits all" ultra long legs, especially considering Japan is the source of many of the jeans, with a slightly more petite population.

I get cuffing and think they look cool, but not 4 inch ones to my eye (a double fold forces bunching which does not look good either)... I know they will hem but whats the point and also a lottery if there is some stretch of shrink.

Excuse my inexperience, i am only on my second pair and the first that I have cuffed... can someone enlighten me?
    I have no idea what length they are, they will shrink about an inch on first wash in length and SOAS have a Chain Stitch Machine in store and tailor and repair for life. Personally I am a denim nerd and like to wear them straight off the bat in a natural form so the length dictates the roll or ruffle.
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 25th January 2015 at 20:37.
    RIAC

Alot of selvedge jeans come 36" standard inside leg, to allow for shrinkage. I'm a 30" inside leg, so always get Ironheart to shorten them as they have the ability to chainstitch them to 32" allowing for 2 turn ups whilst being worn. Haven't washed any of mine always pop them in the freezer after a few wears them air them, when they're finally due a wash i know even with shrinkage they won't shrink more than a couple of inches in length...Although i think selvedge wearers like them long with a turn up to show the selvedge edge..

Craftsman
    I have no idea what length they are, they will shrink about an inch on first wash in length and SOAS have a Chain Stitch Machine in store and tailor and repair for life. Personally I am a denim nerd and like to wear them straight off the bat in a natural form so the length dictates the roll or ruffle.
    That is good to know that they will tailor and repair, there is a charge I presume. I have gone for a 34 leg instead of my normal 32 on a pair of Levi's Selvedge 511 so I can cuff, we will see if this goes pears-shaped with the first wash as if i lose an inch or so i won't have anything to cuff!

That is good to know that they will tailor and repair, there is a charge I presume. I have gone for a 34 leg instead of my normal 32 on a pair of Levi's Selvedge 511 so I can cuff, we will see if this goes pears-shaped with the first wash as if i lose an inch or so i won't have anything to cuff!
    Shrinkage will depend on whether there unsanforized or not

Grand Master
    That is good to know that they will tailor and repair, there is a charge I presume. !
    No charge, they call it good service its a bit retro these days!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Lee 101z
    Same here love the 101z and the 101j jacket is a true classic too

Master
    Blog Entries
    As I am short of leg and large of belly, I often struggle to find good fitting jeans. However, I have recently bought my first pair of 501's. Must say, I have never had a more comfy pair.

Craftsman
    Makes me want to give them my money! Just browsing their site, lots of tempting stuff... I did have my eye on some IH666 or 555 for my first serious denim investment....

I work just round the corner from Son of Stag, I'm pretty sure my wallet can't stand a trip inside, though. It looks way too full of lovely stuff.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Blog Entries
    501's for me and only thirty odd quid a pair at Costco. Reading another thread earlier, I saw that you can pay around £700 for a pair of Balman jeans, WTF is that about?

Blog Entries
    Well my second pair of Hiuts will be with me tomorrow hopefully.

SlimR's again but Selvedge as 20% off.

First up SlimR organic's are nearly eleven months old and no wash yet.

Excellent service again and really helpful with my requests.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    501's for me and only thirty odd quid a pair at Costco. Reading another thread earlier, I saw that you can pay around £700 for a pair of Balman jeans, WTF is that about?
    I have no idea what Balman jeans are about, i'm guessing fashion. For me raw denim is all about buying an authentic product made by the original shuttle looms, that over time and with wear the jean becomes bespoke to me..

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/09/the...100th-article/

And it doesn't have to be expensive..

http://www.liquorstoreclothing.com/t...nded-brand-m48

Master
    I'm 3 months into a pair of Edwin Ed-80s. They've maybe only have 20 wears in that time but are starting to fit better. It's was like walking with broken legs for the first couple of times wearing them.

I've been through lots of manufacturers but have recently rediscovered Levis. I've been wearing a pair of 511s since about May, they loosened off a hell of a lot. So much so that I wouldn't even have referred to them as slim so I had my tailor do a half leg taper on them just a few weeks back. They fit perfect now and are very comfortable. I also picked up a pair of 510s at Christmas and they are a great fit.

I quite like ordering online as I'll order several sizes and will wear each for a decent amount of time around the house. You find you just sort of feel more at home in a certain pair.

I'm looking to add another brand in the next few months but haven't decided what yet. Everyone seems to be buying Nudie at the moment but I'm not a fan of the pocket stitching (interesting to see the pair here with none of that). Will be sure to look up some of the suggestions here.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I saw that you can pay around £700 for a pair of Balman jeans, WTF is that about?
    It's about the same thing as paying £10k for a watch that tells the time less accurately than a £30 quartz.

I can't afford the £700 jeans, I just get that there are certain brands that cost more than others in just about everything we buy. Things are worth what someone's prepared to pay.

Some of the really expensive jeans that Kerry buys appeal to me massively; I love the look of the pair he bought yesterday and posted here. But I'm a lover of Nudie jeans and I can afford those and they fit me better than any jeans I've ever owned, including those that have cost more.

Horses for courses dude.

I've got a couple of pairs of Nudies that I've had a while and worn a lot, but I'm wearing Edwins a fair bit these days (47s and a pair of 39s). Also got one pair of Gustins that I like and are getting better with wear.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    they fit me better than any jeans I've ever owned, including those that have cost more.
    And thats the key thing, whilst cost will buy handmade or more exclusive time consuming weaves the fit is paramount. What I really like about Rudys place is that he never asks the budget and will give you jeans from top to bottom as he is only interested in selling what fits. That said if you are really into denim its about the fit and look primarily but the subtle detailing and feel coupled with the interesting stories behind the manufacturing too.

Heres a small insight
    RIAC

I know that unsanforized jeans can shrink by a couple of inches after the first wash and everyone seems to wear them turned up at the start. After the first wash, do people then not need to turn them up as they are now the correct length? Also, is the bit of denim that was previously turned up not a slightly different colour to the rest of the jeans due to lack of exposure?

And thats the key thing, whilst cost will buy handmade or more exclusive time consuming weaves the fit is paramount. What I really like about Rudys place is that he never asks the budget and will give you jeans from top to bottom as he is only interested in selling what fits. That said if you are really into denim its about the fit and look primarily but the subtle detailing and feel coupled with the interesting stories behind the manufacturing too.

Heres a small insight
    The other thing you can do is once size and style is found, you could then use a proxy have the jeans sent straight from Japan at a fraction of the cost...Some real clothing / denim bargains to be had...Raleigh, Oni, Samurai, Orslow etc...

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/...enim&tl=551177

Unfortunately seems to be just for personal shoppers (not via internet).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unfortunately seems to be just for personal shoppers (not via internet).
    Distance Selling Regulations would stop them tailoring a pair of jeans that you could send back for a full refund...

Distance Selling Regulations would stop them tailoring a pair of jeans that you could send back for a full refund...

It's an on-going after sales service.

Do the distance selling regulations even apply to bespoke items?

It's an on-going after sales service.

Do the distance selling regulations even apply to bespoke items?
    I know they do in store, i would have assumed they where reluctant due to the distance selling, even though tailored made or personalised items can't be returned, it's a shame that you can't buy the service online...IIRC Ironheart used to advertise the service, but can't seem to find it on there site, you could maybe contact them...

I'ma big fan of Nudie but they are doing less and less Selvedge these days.

I have just got a pair of APC New Standard that I'll be starting on tomorrow

I know they do in store, i would have assumed they where reluctant due to the distance selling, even though tailored made or personalised items can't be returned, it's a shame that you can't buy the service online...IIRC Ironheart used to advertise the service, but can't seem to find it on there site, you could maybe contact them...
    They do offer the service online (£20 to hem) but apparently there's a free tailor and repair service for life in store.

They do offer the service online (£20 to hem) but apparently there's a free tailor and repair service for life in store.
    Got you, so you tried to order online? or telephoned them? If you phoned them and they refused to tailor that's poor form if your buying the jeans from them

Here you go..

http://rivetandhide.com/vintage-hemming/

There's no mention of a cost, but these guys will hem / bespoke tailor for you, carry some decent brands aswell so hopefully they've got what your after...

Here you go..

http://rivetandhide.com/vintage-hemming/

There's no mention of a cost, but these guys will hem / bespoke tailor for you, carry some decent brands aswell so hopefully they've got what your after...
    Thanks, I'll have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    I'ma big fan of Nudie but they are doing less and less Selvedge these days.

I have just got a pair of APC New Standard that I'll be starting on tomorrow
    Best of health to you and your APCs.

I'm not bothered by having selvedge, I'm more concerned about the fit and denim quality than how the seam is finished on the inside that can't be seen unless you wear turn-ups.

Craftsman
    I must say I'm a little surprised to see a denim thread here, I'm breaking in samurais and fullcounts at the moment, both lovely. The resolutes I'v had on for a year or so are also excellent.

These without a shadow of a doubt. You will defiantly love these David.

Banned

It must be my age, but when I look at that photo all I can think of is the Dick Emery Show.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    It must be my age, but when I look at that photo all I can think of is the Dick Emery Show.
    Age is nothing to do with it but its nice that you are old enough to appreciate the great comic.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Daad, daad, wot is it son?

Banned
    Age is nothing to do with it but its nice that you are old enough to appreciate the great comic.
    For your pleasure.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZmxqlYuMg

Grand Master
    Great Monkey boots too, Legend, years ahead of his time
    RIAC