closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Budapest - what to see and do and where to eat

Master

Budapest - what to see and do and where to eat

The second holiday trip (sort of) I have this summer is Budapest. I'll be there for a week but most days I won't be free until after 5. I'm looking for suggestions for things to do in the evening, especially places to eat and drink. I'll have one day off, so what are the top sights I should see.

Journeyman
    I used to live there for a few years. Can recommend the Rudas bath house. It's authentic and nice for some hours. I much prefer it over the other larger ones.

Red bus to take you around is always how I would take visitors around, hop on and off, it sounds a bit touristy but you really just get to the right places.

Of course go check out the ruin bars and have a few drinks.

Good wise, it's changing a lot with my friends who still live there naming different places all the time...fisherman's bastion has a great restaurant in the evening which you can look down onto the city also. Touristy, but it's quite nice.

Do try the palinka. If anything more pops into my head, I'll let you know.

Ps. Taxis just walk outside to the kiosk and get one with a ticket for the driver. Lots of scams.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 using Tapatalk

Get the tourist transit passes . It gets you on all the public transport including the two trams that traverse either side of the river and also the boat bus that gives you a brief experience on the river.
    Go to the opera house. Buy the tickets in the private boxes and you are literally next to the stage . You’ll share them with three others but it’s really worth it .
    Walk .
    Use the funicular .
    I loved the baths, both of the main ones but I’m sure there are others.
    The cakes are amazing .

Book to eat at Gundels (book before you go as it can get busy). It's a lovely art deco place with great food and service.
    Also New York cafe. Once again book early.
    Visit the castle for fantastic views and Houdini museum (behind castle). The museom only OK but they oput on a good magic show.
    You'll enjoy it. Lots of films made there as architecture remains pre war.

You can happily explore on foot in the evenings in summer and see the sights from the outside at least - Castle District, Basilica, Margaret Island, Parliament, Citadel, Széchenyi Chain Bridge, Heroes Square, etc.

With one day off you'll have to choose depending on your interests. I'd head for Memento Park and The House of Terror for a bit of an insight into the communist era but you might prefer to relax at a traditional bath house. If you find yourself in the Castle District, The Hospital in the Rock is worth a visit.

For live music, check out what's on at the A38 or Akvárium Club. Kobuci Kert is my favourite but it's a bit off the beaten track.

Loads of enjoyable places to eat and drink in District VII.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    If it’s your thing: https://budapestshooting.eu/

Make a reservation. Very professional and safe gun range. You can choose almost anything up to .50 Barrett. My wife and i had a blast.

some good advice in this topic. Choose a bath house with a beer tap at your bath.

The parliament building is nice to visit too. Beautiful
    Last edited by Time Cat; 1st May 2023 at 07:05.

Grand Master
    Szimpla

Thats the evening go to
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by moelycrio View Post
    I used to live there for a few years. Can recommend the Rudas bath house. It's authentic and nice for some hours. I much prefer it over the other larger ones.

Red bus to take you around is always how I would take visitors around, hop on and off, it sounds a bit touristy but you really just get to the right places.

Of course go check out the ruin bars and have a few drinks.

Good wise, it's changing a lot with my friends who still live there naming different places all the time...fisherman's bastion has a great restaurant in the evening which you can look down onto the city also. Touristy, but it's quite nice.

Do try the palinka. If anything more pops into my head, I'll let you know.

Ps. Taxis just walk outside to the kiosk and get one with a ticket for the driver. Lots of scams.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 using Tapatalk
    Use Bolt for taxis, loads of them available and pretty cheap

A cheap evening boat cruise with one free drink is about Ł10 per person and very good

Spent the weekend there a couple of weeks ago ,stayed in the mystery hotel ,just outside the centre .
    The red bus is worth getting on ,there was a cracking Indian behind our hotel ,lancealots themed restaurant just down the road ,a bit different.
    A couple of decent restaurants over the other side of the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thread resurrection as I'll be in Budapest next week for 3 nights. Some good tips here already and just wondered if there were any more? Thanks.

Craftsman

Langos!!!

Go for Langos one day - this place has a good reputation and I went myself back in July - would eat again!

https://retrolangos.hu/
    Last edited by Stevoc; 14th March 2024 at 14:24.